Votes: 5 18.5%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
I think that Carroll's Alice in Wonderland (probably my favourite work of literature alongside the similar Fairytales of Oscar Wilde) posess a certain type of ironic humour that I find to be completely lost on many of my North American (ie. Candian and American) friends. It seems they tend to interpret a lot of it as "cheesy". I guess there is a sort of cultural incongruity involved.

I'd be interested to see this film get off the gound without the need to resort to the "goth alice" that a lot of North Americans seem to like.

As it stands, I think this will be an utter failure, since the magic of alice in wonderland is largely dependant on word-play and logical fallacy/paradox, both of which are very difficult (impossible?) to present as film.

No offense, but I believe you're wrong.
It's somewhat insulting to stereotype all north Americans into a group of people who do not catch word play and ironic humor.
And what in the world do you mean by 'Goth Alice'?
She's a little girl in a blue dress, how is that goth?
I agree however that Alice in Wonderland is very dependent on word play and paradox.. however, film can enhance these rather than destroy them.

Here we go again with the being insulted thing.

Listen. Lewis Carroll was British. And although he wrote in a language you can read, he came from a completely different culture.

IMO, the fact that Hollywood is even making an alice film shows clearly that a horrible misunderstanding happened at one point.

See, let me put it another way for you: I think it is safe to say that most North Americans don't really "get" Brit comedy. Do you find that insulting too?

I was simply making a cultural comparison, that's all.

imho, burton has conveyed a lot of dark victorian vibes in his films, and for that reason this could become his magnum opus. on the other hand, he also has a knack for completely overdoing the twisted side of things visually and that "tim burton trademark" image would be exactly the kind of thing to bury this film. i really hope he draws into his latent creativity instead of just stamping his mark on it and turning something with soaring potential into something with landfill potential

I'm already disappointed by the cheshire cat. Then again, I can't imagine a better cat than the one in the original film.

Some of the graphics look pretty amazing, though.

OMG, the CG is dreadful. The Characters are all so out of character. I'm already hating this a lot.

Sorry, I'm skipping on this one.

As it stands, I think this will be an utter failure, since the magic of alice in wonderland is largely dependant on word-play and logical fallacy/paradox, both of which are very difficult (impossible?) to present as film.

I agree, the literary surrealism that made this work so unique and timeless is next to impossible to accurately replicate onto the silver screen.

It would have to be a dialogue-heavy/driven film for it to have a chance, imo.

Something tells me this movie will skip over that and focus more on the CG special effects than any wordplay. Which is sad. :\

After seeing a 3d preview while at the theater this afternoon, I am thoroughly looking forward to this.

:D

I'm an old grump but I automatically start discrediting a film when I find out it's going to be 3-D. :\ The only reason I have to back it up is I don't think it's going to be a seriously good movie... just one that has some pretty candy for the eyes. I guess I agree with MP that I'm worried they'll focus so much on the effects that the rest of it will come up lacking.

Nah, I don't like the look of it at all. And for God's sake, as much as I like Johnny Depp, why can't Burton use someone else for a change. 8)

I agree that the cat is kind of underwhelming.. its just lacking something.
But I like everything else, and I will be giving this movie a chance ;)

No, lets all boycott the film because of that friggin' cat!. =D

If truth be known, I always like Burton more in theory than reality. I only have love for Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, and Ed Wood. The rest don't really grab me.

*runs and hides from MC*

when tim burton's charlie and the chocolate factory came out i went to see it after smoking some bud cuz the original movie was so tripped out and fun to watch.

it killled my high, it was way to fucking creepy, johnny depp sickened me out. and i watch brutal horror movies a couple times a month. saw, cannibal holocaust, shit like that don't bother me unless i've recently used psychedelics, am n psychedelics, or am planning to use psychedelics in the near future. this was much worse.

i saw the preview, and it looks like once again johnny depp is gonna be a fucking creep.

i'll sneak in, i'm not gonna pay to see a movie i'll probably walk out of due to it being disturbing.

No, lets all boycott the film because of that friggin' cat!. =D

If truth be known, I always like Burton more in theory than reality. I only have love for Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, and Ed Wood. The rest don't really grab me.

*runs and hides from MC*

my feelings exactly
(together, we might stand a chance against mc)

but i won't miss this spectacle in 3d on the biggest screen in the world, which happens to be 100m from my front door, especially since i have an unlimited source of AUD$10 tickets (rather than the full AUD$27).

my feelings exactly
(together, we might stand a chance against mc)

MC is a force to be reckoned with and I'm not so sure we'd prevail against her.

I'll bring my nunchucks just in case.
bruce_h4h.gif