• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

undead

Greenlighter
i was looking at crispin glover's wiki page and ran across this tidbit:

Glover is slated to appear in the 2010 Tim Burton film Alice in Wonderland alongside Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter and Anne Hathaway.

imdb.com

aliceinwonderland-(2).jpg

aliceinwonderland1-(2).jpg

i did a search of this forum and couldn't find anything of it, so i figured i'd post it up in case anyone hadn't heard. i didn't know anything of it until now. sounds pretty interesting. tim burton, johnny depp, helena bonham carter, anne hatheway??? obviously sounds like it's gonna have a very dark twist to it. i can't wait!

Can. Not. Wait.

I am dying to see Bonham Carter in the role of the Queen of Hearts and Depp as the Mad Hatter. Looks to be an awesome film.

with those names attached to this story, one could easily see the final product quite accurately in their imaginations. i predict this'll be a nice film to hallucinate to.

Hmmm.....echoing what everybody just said... I fucking cant wait for this =D
cheshire-cat-5.jpg

Wow, Tim Burton Directing alice in wonderland. This is going to be one trippy movie without question

i really don't think much of the story. just seemed absurd for absurd's sake.

I think the story is about sexual awakening, the world of Wonderland and it's inhabitants being a cleverly constructed environment to lull a young girl into committing questionable acts. If you re-read it after looking into the life of Lewis Carroll and his relationship with the real Alice it becomes rather disturbing. There are countless things throughout the text that could be re-interpreted as sexual innuendo.

It is more popular to relate Wonderland to the world of psychedelic drugs (the smoking caterpillar, eating the mushroom, etc) but that parallel doesn't really make very much sense considering where the story emerged from.

Carroll was by all accounts obsessed with Alice Liddell. He had a falling out with the family. There are large sections of his diary that are missing. Some of the passages that remain in his diary are extremely suspect. If memory serves in one passage he described in great detail Alice (a pre-pubescent girl) getting out of the shower.

Relationship with Lewis Carroll

The relationship between Alice Liddell and (Lewis Carrol, A.K.A) Charles Dodgson has been the source of much controversy. Many biographers have supposed that Dodgson was romantically or sexually attached to the child, though there has never been any direct proof for this and more benign accounts assume merely a platonic fondness.[3] Karoline Leach has claimed this supposition is part of what she terms the "Carroll Myth" and thus wildly distorted.[4] It is certainly true that the evidence pool on which any claims can be based is very small and that many authors writing on the topic have tended to indulge in a great deal of undocumented speculation.

Dodgson met the Liddell family in 1855. He first befriended Harry, the older brother, and later took both Harry and Ina on several boating trips and picnics to the scenic areas around Oxford. Later, when Harry went to school, Alice and her younger sister Edith joined the party. Dodgson entertained the children by telling them fantastic stories to while away the time. He also used them as subjects for his hobby, photography. It has often been stated that Alice was clearly his favorite subject in these years, but there is very little evidence to suggest that this is so. Dodgson's diaries from 18 April 1858 to 8 May 1862 are missing and were, presumably, destroyed by his heirs.

"Cut pages in diary"

The relationship between the Liddells and Dodgson suffered a sudden break in June 1863. There was no record of why the rift occurred, since the Liddells never openly spoke of it, and the single page in Dodgson's diary recording 27-29 June 1863 (which seems to cover the period of the break) was missing. Until recently, the only source for what happened on that day had been speculation, and all centered on the idea that Alice Liddell was, somehow, the cause of the break. It was long suspected that Alice's mother, Lorina Liddell, disapproved of Dodgson's interest in her daughter as she saw him as an unfit companion for her very young child, then only 11.

Then, in 1996, Karoline Leach found what became known as the "Cut pages in diary" document[5] — a note allegedly written by Charles Dodgson's niece, Violet Dodgson, summarizing the missing page from 27–29 June 1863, apparently written before she (or her sister Menella) removed the page. The note reads:

"L.C. learns from Mrs. Liddell that he is supposed to be using the children as a means of paying court to the governess — he is also supposed soon to be courting Ina" (Leach, 1999).

It is uncertain who wrote the note. Leach has said that the handwriting on the front of the document most closely resembles that of either Menella or Violet Dodgson, Carroll's nieces. However, Morton N. Cohen says, in an article recently published in the Times Literary Supplement,[6] that, in the 1960s, Philip Dodgson Jacques told him that he had written the note himself based on conversations he remembered with his nieces. Cohen's article offered no evidence to support this, however, and known samples of Jacques' handwriting do not seem to resemble the writing of the note.[7] Precisely what this note means has yet to be determined. However, it seems to imply that the "break" between Dodgson and the Liddell family was caused by concern over alleged "gossip" linking Dodgson to the family governess and to "Ina" (presumably Alice's older sister). Whether there was any foundation to any of this gossip, or if it was simply idle chatter has not been determined, but the 'cut pages' document is notable simply because it demonstrates the likelihood that, in contradiction of all expectation, the break in Dodgson's friendship with the Liddells was a response to this gossip and had nothing at all to do with Alice.

After this incident, Dodgson avoided the Liddell home for some six months but eventually returned for a visit in December 1863. However, the former closeness does not seem to have been re-established, and the friendship gradually faded away, possibly because Dodgson was in opposition to Alice's father, Dean Liddell, over college politics.[8] Other explanations involving romantic entanglements and broken hearts have also been put forward, but while there is some evidence to suggest these as possibilities, nothing definite is known. After the rift between Dodgson and the Liddells, Alice and her sisters pursued a similar relationship with John Ruskin, as detailed in Ruskin's autobiography Praeterita; however, that biography may not be entirely factual.

Friday, 25 April 1856

When Lorina Charlotte, Edith [2] , and I were waiting for Father, we played in the garden next to the Deanery. While we were playing, two men [3] came and tried to take pictures of the Cathedral. Both were really nice to us. It was a cloudy, muggy day today, and they said that these conditions were not ideal for taking photographs because the sun was not out. After he and his friend showed us their camera, they asked us to get in a pose so we could be in the photograph as well. Lorina Charlotte said we would be flattered. We had to act as though we were playing and try not to look at the camera while they took the picture. It was hard to stay still, but one of the gentlemen, who said to call him Mr. Dodgson, told me that he understood because when he was a child he had trouble sitting still, too. Finally the two men decided that they were going to be unable to take the photograph. Mr. Dodgson told us that he was sorry and that we would have to try again on another day. Father then came out of the cathedral and talked to Mr. Dodgson and his friend, Mr. Southey, for a few moments. Mr. Dodgson was a lot more formal with Father, and he seemed shyer when father came out to see us. Before they left, Mr. Dodgson gave me a photograph of himself and his friend. I put these photographs in the diary for safe keeping. Then Mr. Dodgson winked at me and said that he would certainly see me again soon. I can hardly wait to play with my new friend.

Saturday, 25 May 1861

Today, Lewis gave me a photograph that he took of me three years ago. The picture was after one of our games, in which my shirt had torn. He told me that he had an idea for a portrait of me, so he got his camera and told me to pose as a beggar. I like the picture, but now that I’m older, I do not think that I look like I am poor or hungry. I remember that I kept insisting that Lewis let me rub dirt on my face and mess up my hair, but he would not let me do so. I had to be very still, and I remember that Lewis was very proud of me for being patient because he always tells me I’m fidgety.

These are excerpts from Alice's diary... can't find the one from Carrol's (Dodgson's) about her getting out of the shower...

USA Today has posted some great character one-shots and artwork from Tim Burton's upcoming 3D take on "Alice in Wonderland"

The photos include the first looks at Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter, Helena Bonham Carter as the Red Queen, and Anne Hathaway as the White Queen.

The story also confirms the talk that the film is a sequel to the Lewis Carroll classic rather than a straight up adaptation.

Linda Woolverton's script has a 17-year-old Alice (Mia Wasikowska)attending a party at a Victorian estate only to find she is about to be proposed to in front of hundreds of snooty society types. She runs off, following a white rabbit into a hole and ending up in Wonderland, a place she visited a decade before yet doesn't remember.

Other tidbits gleaned from the article include:

The egg-shaped Tweedledee and Tweedledum (Matt Lucas) are created using motion capture technology

Depp employs an accent that producer Richard Zanuck can only describe as indescribable

Bonham Carter has a digitally enhanced swelled head and her castle has a moat filled with bobbing severed heads

Hathaway's White Queen "is beautiful but over the top. She doesn't walk. She floats. She's very eccentric" says Zanuck

Click on any of the photos below to access the main article which also includes an impressive zoom and scan function for the three pieces of concept art:

wonderslide4.jpg

wonderslide1.jpg

wonderslide2.jpg

wonderslide3.jpg

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/14465/-alice-in-wonderland-first-look-images

I saw these pictures today as well, and it only fanned the flames of excitement! I'm so beyond looking forward to this. Cannot wait! :D