⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Favorite / Most Underrated Movies

(Wordy) said:
I'll have to see this... Kafka is one of my favourite writers.
it can be tricky finding a copy of this. it has yet to be released on DVD.

keep them coming! i rented jacob's ladder and igby goes down last night, and those were two awesome movies! now i dont have to go to the video store for 30 minutes just wondering what to rent.

Several of my favorite movies are also in my opinion underrated:

Baraka by Ron Fricke
Underground by Emir Kusturica
The Man Who Wasn't There by the Coen Brothers

I agree with Kingpin ... I love it. Since I hang out with white kids and they've ALL seen it though, I wouldn't exactly consider it to be "underrated"

I personally think Soulfood is a very underrated movie. I doubt any of you have seen it?

Dtergent said:
Several of my favorite movies are also in my opinion underrated:

Baraka by Ron Fricke
in what way do you think baraka is underrated. i've never seen or heard a review which has been anything less that extremely complimentary. standard disclaimer about my experience not equalling the world applies.

i could see an argument for its being under-exposed but not underrated. care to elaborate?

alasdair

alasdairm said:
in what way do you think baraka is underrated. i've never seen or heard a review which has been anything less that extremely complimentary. standard disclaimer about my experience not equalling the world applies.

i could see an argument for its being under-exposed but not underrated. care to elaborate?

alasdair

I haven't read any real review on it (aside from one that someone I know wrote), but discussions over beer with film school students were dismissive. Maybe they were just of the "edgy, purposely crap" editing school, but I almost smashed a bottle in and called them on their lives ;)

And under-exposed, is true and unfortunate! A follow-up called Samsara is not out yet (at least not that I "hardly" hear of)... I CAN'T WAIT

/gets goosebumps and disintegrates

Expect it to be released in 2006.

=D Thanks

And to qualify my earlier post, Underground, though winning the Cannes top back then, also received a lot of flak. Main complaint was it was too long and it was pretentious(?) Also a lot of political protest on that one.

I believe it to be one damn good story.

Squid and the Whale - offbeat comedy
Equilibrium - futuristic action (better than The Matrix)
Run Lola Run - foreign
Bad Santa - I think a lot of people forget about this one but it's funny as hell

:):) hope someone can back me up on these

The Experiment - The German film about the experiment where they got a group of guys and had some guys play prisoners and others play guards. Fucking disturbing.

Dtergent said:
The Man Who Wasn't There by the Coen Brothers

Yep! I'd have to say this is my favourite Coen Brothers' film, although I do have a soft spot for The Big Lebowski.

The Experiment - The German film about the experiment where they got a group of guys and had some guys play prisoners and others play guards. Fucking disturbing.

Yeah, I thought so too. Definitely worth a watch.

I just remembered!

THE ARISTOCATS!! I loved this movie so much, but now i cant find it.

Bauer095 said:
Squid and the Whale - offbeat comedy
Equilibrium - futuristic action (better than The Matrix)
Run Lola Run - foreign
Bad Santa - I think a lot of people forget about this one but it's funny as hell

:):) hope someone can back me up on these

Squid and the Whale, one of my favorites, I thought it was pretty well known and liked though.

Run Lola Run, same thing, it's probably in my top three favorite movies, but it's popular with my group of friends, I didn't realize it was underrated. (Never, ever, ever make the mistake of watching the dubbed in english version, I have loaned out this movie and lost it so many times that I had to buy another copy recently and didn't notice it wasn't the subtitled version. The voice overs are horrible!)

I haven't seen the other two.

Eyes Wide Shut would be on my list. It amazes my every time I see someone write about Kubrick, they dismiss this film. I thought it was a fantastic piece of art, a delirious dreamlike journey through the world of sex and depravity.

I Love You To Death

To be honest I'll watch anything that stars River Phoenix because I think he was a brilliant actor. He brought a certain kind of realism to the screen. But he isn't the highlight of this film for me. Joan Plowright is the one who stands out imo. She's just hilarious as the eccentric Mamma Nadja, who tries to help her daughter through various failed attempts in bumping off her cheating husband.

Silly, but surprisingly funny.