• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Favorite / Most Underrated Movies

Belisarius

Bluelighter
For the record, I've UTFSE. We have a thread on overrated movies, but not underrated ones, so I felt it was high time to grace the forum with one. :)

So, what are your favorite underrated movies?

I pretty much have only one: Kingpin. It's one of my favorite movies, and one of the rare ones I never get tired of. Honorable mention goes to Poltergeist II.

^ +1 I think I'm in love with you amoozing.

Life With Father
The Good Girl and
Igby Goes Down all come to mind.

Last edited:
i wouldn't call it underrated, because it doesn't deserve to be in the class of films that deserve to be rated at all. if that makes sense...it is your usual hollywood action, but i don't understand why armageddon is so hated. i have watched it a few times, when it comes on, and i always enjoy it. it was a bit cheesy, but as action flix go, it is better than the rest. but everyone hates it sooo much.

personally, this forum isn't really a good one for this thread topic, bc the posters here embrace the already underrated films so well. i.e. boondock saints, amelie, and every other obscure film that the average fimgoer ignores or never hears about. seems as though bl'ers have such good tastes, the underrated films get appreciated here.

i totally agree with you on kinpin though, it was so over the top funny. i don't understand your choice bel on poltergeist 2, what about it made it above par, in your opinion?

i did like it, but i am a poltergeist fan, the first is one of my fave movies of all time.

Show Me Love,

or any of Lukas Mooddyson's films for that matter

i don't think igby was underrated necessarily. while i appreciate my experience is not everything - all the reviews and feedback i saw were positive. i would certainly agree that it was underexposed.

alasdair

alasdairm said:
i don't think igby was underrated necessarily. while i appreciate my experience is not everything - all the reviews and feedback i saw were positive. i would certainly agree that it was underexposed.

I haven't seen Igby..., but Amelie on the other hand... was critically acclaimed, and not necessarily under-exposed either (perhaps it was as a cinematic release, but not as a DVD). More people should see it though. ;)

Dirty Pretty Things

Plot Summary for
Dirty Pretty Things (2002)

Okwe, a kind-hearted Nigerian doctor, and Senay, a Turkish chambermaid, work at the same West London hotel. The hotel is run by Senor Sneaky and is the sort of place where dirty business like drug dealing and prostitution takes place. However, when Okwe finds a human heart in one of the toilets, he uncovers something far more sinister than just a common crime.

(P.S. IMDB makes it sound lame, but it's a lot better then it sounds.)

basix said:
Show Me Love,

or any of Lukas Mooddyson's films for that matter

i agree...well...as far as Show Me Love goes (haven't seen any other)

Soul Survivor, with Eliza Dushku (is that her name? the hot chick from Tru Calling). This movie is fucking FREAKY when you are watching it for the first time. The story is awesome, and would fall into a comparable category with movies like Jacob's Ladder, or Donnie Darko.

Watch this movie!!

The United states of Leland

a recommended watch!

Leland: And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Scottland, PA

Andy Dick is a joint smoking hippy representing the witches from MacBeth. Strange.

Church said:
Soul Survivor, with Eliza Dushku (is that her name? the hot chick from Tru Calling). This movie is fucking FREAKY when you are watching it for the first time. The story is awesome, and would fall into a comparable category with movies like Jacob's Ladder, or Donnie Darko.

Watch this movie!!

I should watch it just because that chick is slammin'.

Oh, and to add another film, Outside Providence is a pretty underrated/overlooked flick. I recommend it. :)

Finder said:
I should watch it just because that chick is slammin'.

LOL because that was pretty much the reason why I ever rented that movie to begin with!! Turns out that not only is she fucking BANGING gorgeous, but this movie is fucking awesome! It's just that, well, it's one of those movies that will only be freaky the first time you see it. After it's over, you'll know what to expect. But it's still easy to watch again, because Eliza is fucking HOTTTTT!!!!

Belisarius said:
I pretty much have only one: Kingpin. It's one of my favorite movies, and one of the rare ones I never get tired of.
Agreed, I thought Kingpin was pretty damn funny. The opening "Mrs. Robinson" scene floored me, as well as the "shit cloud" scene.

I thought Very Bad Things was one of the best black comedies in a long time.

40-Year-Old Virgin, though probably underexposed rather than underrated, gets my nod as best comedy in quite awhile.