• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethnobotanicals [DMT Extraction Subthread] Phalaris Grass

Riemann Zeta said:
If you really want DMT, get tryptophan and synth it yourself--it has to be easier.

hmm interesting, i'll take a look at this...while i'm searching someone does have any further info about this ?

these day i bet there is more dmt being consumed from plant extraction than there is from lab syntheses...
there are many chemlab methods at places like dmtworld & the hive & rhodium's (as well as in TIHKAL's "cookbook" section) & several other places... and there are quite a few books that have dmt synth methods...
~
but good mhrb can have like 1% yield (so a pound could getcha ~ 4 grams, mmmkay?)

DMT from tryptophan is a little bit hard--you need something to reduce an acid all the way down to an alkane. Getting the acid down to an alcohol is extraordinarily easy, but alcohol to alkane is a bitch. Search for Quagliato, et al (2000). J. Org. Chem. 65:5037-42 for a putative method. 5-MeO-DMT would be very easy: melatonin --> 5-MeO-Tryptamine --> DMT (just be careful not to overalkylate the amine, and be aware that you might end up with some mono-methyl-tryptamine).

Its not that hard. Theres a simple one step, boil away reaction. Whats harder is the phase transfer reaction so you don't get a quaternary Nitro.

How do you know if you've got a high alkaloid strain? [edit] Any commerically available strain is low alkaloid.

what makes you think i bought it?im preaty sure i said i was gonna find it around the area, i had a grocerie bag full of phalaris, the actualy plants were about a meter and a half 2 meters long but then i didnt realize if i was going to extract anything it should be alot due to low alkaloids.

so nobody has done a phalaris extraction?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done a phalaris extraction - just plain reed canary grass. I used about 1/4 lb of dry grass. It was set into a large pot with a bunch of water and about a half a bottle of lemon juice. It was heated on low until steam came off the water, then allowed to cool, then was frozen for the night. This was done around 10-12 times, by then, the water had taken on a dark brown color. The plant matter was strained and discarded, the remaining solution was reduced to a managable amout of ~500 ml. DCM was then used as a defatting solvent (3X), the sol. was then basified to a pH ~10-11 then DCM was once again used to extract alkaloid ~ 370mg. Still impure and sticky, but elfspice hyperspace was still acheived :) hope this helps

^have you done an extraction with mimosa hostilis? if you have, how did the different extractions and the resulting products compare?

Juggalotus thats exactly what i wanted to hear.someone who actually did there own extraction and was succesful.you make it sound easy:D

Phalaris still is not going to take you to "true DMT hyperspace" as there are many more active alkaloids in the plant besides DMT that will color the experience. If you want a true, pure DMT trip then you must use Mimosa hostilis.

mod's note: please read our forum's guidelines regarding supplier/availability discussion. this is your one off-the-record warning.

Last edited by a moderator:
DMT (growing Phalaris aquatica)

i ordered Phalaris aquatica seeds over the internet and i was wondering - do i need any special equipment to grow it in order to successfully enjoy the DMT effects its supposed to have? do i just harvest the seeds and grow them like any other plant? Sorry if I'm sounding stupid but I'm new to plants ( I've never even grown weed). How long after planting the seeds can i see noticeable results? What's the estimated time when I should be getting ready for a wild DMT experience? ;)

thanks in advance

They are pretty easy to grow outdoors. Though you might be alittle dissapointed, since the concentration is so low you're going to have to extract the goods... of which there will be more 5-MeO-DMT than DMT.

I don't know how long it takes to germinate them or anything, but once its going it grows pretty fast.

I have a plant that sprouted on a side of a cactus pot of mine. It's a few years old now and I have no idea how to extract anything out of it since it's grass. I've heard wheat grass juicer, but would anything else work? How much plant matter would I be expecting to use?

I'd save up a kilo or so, since there isn't much in there to begin with. If you have a yard you can plant stuff in, I'd jsut start a patch and cut it down when they get around 2ft high or so, and keep doing that all summer. If you live in town and have a backyard full of 5-6ft high grass, you might be in violation of city ordinances.

A kilo is alot, I don't even thing the whole plant weighs that much. It doesn't seem to practical to take in out of it's pot, sure is a pretty plant though:)

As it's a grass, it grows from the bottom of the plant, instad of the yop like other flowering plants, so the more you cut it (up to a limit, of course) the more you'll encourage it to grow. I cant remember the percentage of alkaloids, but if you get a kilo of the stuff, even 0.5 percent alkaloids will net you 5g of the DMT/5-methoxyDMT mixture.

As it's not a woody bark (so easier for a solvent to penetrate), I'd imagine a simple solvent like alcohol should extract the majority of the alkaloids present (but a lot of chlorophyll as well), but this can always be processed further once you reach that stage

Would I have to dry the grass or would it be best to use it fresh? At the molment there is only there is only about a handfull of foot long grass that I'm starting to wonder what to do with. As for an extraction, that would involve seeping the plant matter in the solvent, correct? Honestly I don't even know if I wuld need 5 grams of alkaloids, I'd be happy with enough for 4 or 5 experiences or one or two really strong ones.

Dry the grass, powder/shred it (coffee grinders/mills do it for just about any plant material), then leave it to soak in about 5 times it's volume of alcohol for a few days (with occasional shaking). After that, strain to remove the plant material, then evaporate to leave behind a mixture of alkaloids, chlorophyll and a small amount of other plant compounds (certain sugars, fats etc).

To work out a dose though, you'll need to know the weight of material you start with, and details of the average percentage of alkaloids found in the particular species involved

Phalaris arundinacea grass in DMT extraction?

Hey guys/girls..

Mods please feel free to move this to a different forum if it doesnt belong here. Anyways, I've been reading up on DMT extraction and was wondering if phalaris arundinacea grass can be used in this process. Im pretty sure I have a ton of patches growing near my place and just wanted to make sure I had the right stuff. It looks pretty much like the pics that came up when i googled it. If anyone knows anything about this or has any pics please post. Thanks!

Aright I just realized I should've posted in the pshchedelics forum so can someone please move this there?