• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

2013 PGA tour thread v. Strike a pose, Lefty

Just be the ball, be the ball, be the ball.

Kooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooch

Am I the only one who cannot stand Rickie Fowler? Those clothes make him look like such a wanker.

I don't really like the match play tournament as well as some of you guys seem to. If they want to change things up, I'd rather them play courses that drastically vary in layout or something. Do they still have any 5-round tournaments? I liked that shit too. I think that in contrast with college basketball, the rankings in golf are not nearly as strong and it really just feels really random. It would be like they would have to play 4 rounds per match before the rankings really would mean anything. I will say that it's insane that Mahan wasn't on the last Ryder Cup (I don't think?), as that dude's really good at match play.

As a left-handed golfer who has always played Ping clubs, I gotta support my man Bubba. Can't wait to see him get his first win this year.

Early Master's pick -> Charles Howell III

I said the same myself, hindsight eh. Yeah it's odd a player with so much matchplay ability would be left out, but at the same time he only had himself to blame. After he won the WGC last year and at Houston in April, he managed to go missing and fuck up automatic qualification. Looking back now it's easy to point out. He also took a lot of the blame, unfairly, for choking on the 17th at Celtic Manor in 2010.

He pretty much lost the plot last week aswell after doing all the hardwork, much to my delight.

the rankings in golf are far from random

every week the rankings of the best golfers in the world are adjusted(there's a formula, there's no voting or anything like that, it's driven purely on performance)

the matchplay features the top 64players in the world

in a sport like golf you can toss away the rankings in the match play tourney holding any significance when you're talking about the best of the best

and picking chuckie howell III to win the masters cause he defeated a tiger woods who hasn't done shit in that event in years....come on now

howell will be lucky to make the cut

i wouldn't have any problem with him winning it, it's just he's the kind of golfer that puts together like 3 really good showings a year, and that's it

used to hate fowler, still don't really like him, but he's not nearly the 'bag he portrays himself as , it's all marketing and he's doing it right

'Random' might not have been the correct word. I know that they have a sophisticated formula for it all. I think I meant just that the number 1 golfer isn't going to beat the number 64 golfer as many times heads up (let's say out of 100 heads up matches) as a 1 seed would beat a 16 seed at NCAA BBall, so the rankings just don't seem as significant, and upsets don't feel as good when they happen. Maybe that's what you meant in your fourth line.

Who's everyone else picking for the masters? I've got Howell III as my pick, let's hear the rest of 'em.

Edit: Schwartzel is my pick for the Honda this week.

^clearly you don't know me very well

nick watney is my man, i pick him to win every major, even though he has none, closest was 3 shot lead going into sunday at the PGA at whistling straights

kaymer ended up winning, dustin johnson made the infamous failre to recognize sand trap, grounded his club, blew his chances

this weekend i've got young korean seung-yul noh

masters, if not watney:billy haas, adam scott or robert garrigus

or whoever outlasts tiger or rory on sunday

whose got my hetty master's picks?

went with:
watney
phil
westwood
stricker
scott

2 dudes desperate for a major, 2 dudes ready to make an even bigger name for themselves and one of the best all time golfers @ augusta

I feel guilty that I havn't really watched any golf this year, still always check the leaderboards

i haven't watched nearly enough golf this year. just haven't had the time.

but i just did my picks, and now i'm fired up for the greatest sporting event of the year.

in our pool you get a salary cap, and each player costs a certain amount of money.

right now, i've got:

Tiger
Haas
Kooooooooooooch
YE Yang

might make changes. tiger obviously cost a bunch of money, but i don't see how i can't pick him.

watney aces #9 on par 3 course

he was pumped as fuck, good for him

nice to see his brim was pretty bent, at times this year his hat was almost fowler flat, but even bent the design of the hat is stupid...fucking nike, man

not going to quit on my boy for poor, new school fashion

yeah I just got home, and scrolling down the leaderboard just waiting to see his name was fucking depressing, he's more than likely going to have to shoot at least -3 tomorrow to make the cut, kinda bummed he's pretty much already eliminated, but i'll find someone to rally around come the weekend

yeah well nobody beat him today ma man, he'll be playing this weekend, +3 into saturday

I hope bubba misses cut so bad

lol at hunter Mahan at +14

coverage is solid, they are hardly showing tiger and he's playing well, awesome, was afraid id have to watch every single shot

adam scott is going to win this bitch

tough break for tiger on 15 - that sucks. he finished the hole with poise.

alasdair

that didn't suck , it was easily the best thing that happened in the first two days

tiger fans are so pathetic

god damn is nick watney a tough ass motherfucker

waita battle ma man, finish top 16, like your old sponsor, a BOSS

still rooting for adam scott

Golf is such a lame, elitist atmosphere, I really wish someone like Happy Gilmore would happen because that's the only way I'd probably seriously watch it.

Not to mention it's such a shitty sport (I use that loosely) for TV, like I really want to hear Scott Van Pelt and that other guy talk about whether Tiger's penalty was fair for 3 hours while I watch some guy go through 10 practice swings and eyeball sessions before he moves a small round object four fucking feet

and the announcers have to be so quiet all the time, brings no emotion at all to the broadcast

not to mention the "in the hole!" guy every fucking shot, like give it a rest bro.

I swear they schedule Majors for when no other big events are going on because they know nobody would watch

plus Tiger Woods' whole attitude pisses me off, he still acts like he didnt do anything wrong with the sex scandal, at least IMO.

Everyone else reminds me of Shooter McGavin

I just think something like Lacrosse is far and away better to play and watch yet it gets no exposure outside of like the northeast and Canada.

meanwhile they run ads for the Masters three weeks in advance and its like if you dont watch it you are missing some big entertainment venue.

you could put this thread in Second Opinion because as far as I'm concerned Golf shouldnt even be in the same forum as real sports