• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Set and Setting Thread

Sorry I am far too lazy right now to write a full response, but I and I'm sure others will say,

Set and Setting are key.

Meaning the state of mind you are in at the time, whom you are with, and where your trip will be taking place. Preparing essentials and planning ahead can really help you experience what you're looking for.

Happy tripping bro <3

Also welcome to Bluelight man, yes, you are right there is quite the plethora of information here, I look forward to seeing you post in the future

tbirdee, thanks a lot for the reply. I kind of figured it has to be the set/setting thing. I guess next time this will be done in nature lol

Sounds like a great idea, try and be with one or two close friends, make sure to bring water and snacks.. :)

i read somewhere else that meditation before and during the trip can help out as well....I think some of the problem is a combo of inexperience and not really knowing what to do while tripping, since i dont really know anyone who has any extensive experience with psychedelics, but i think i have found a home for discussion! thanks again, i'm going to be sure to thank my brother for referring me here.

Check out the social thread, it's stickied at the top, awesome fellas in there ;)

1. Don't watch TV while tripping on mushrooms.
2. Don't be indoors.
3. If you have to trip indoors, darken all the rooms and add colored lights in places to make the setting comfortable.

Mushrooms aren't like LSD, the setting is more important for mushrooms has they have a more "forcing" adventure instored for you.

LSD is the "full spectrum" psyche where you can watch a silly movie or do anything and you can still have good vibes and a good time. Mushrooms just isn't like that.

Exercise, exercise, exercise!
Start any trip off with some good cardio and your probability of a good trip is increased significantly. If you start to get into a bad trip, meditation may help, but only if youre experienced with it. My suggestion for when trips start to go south is either exercise or my personal favorite, uplifting trance.

Maybe your body just doesn't agree with mushrooms? Maybe you're not ready for them? Perhaps you're dosing too high...Maybe try taking a light dose like you did your first time, but alone.

Also, I notice youu're not utlizing the beauty of music while shrooming. Put on some music you like next time!

psychobassslapper, first of all: welcome to bluelight!

You didn't post this in the wrong section, this is quite on topic for psychedelics! :)
However we ask that everyone first does a couple of things:
  • read the rules, you will benefit yourself from proper conduct,
  • use the search engine (this is in the rules) first to check if the subject of your question or remark has not already been covered or devoted a thread to,
  • use the Psychedelic Index to find your way around, major topics are covered there and they include subthreads for more in-depth focus on specific subjects. For instance, if you ask me your thread would belong in the Big & Dandy Mushrooms Thread or in the Big & Dandy Set and Setting Thread depending on the emphasis of your inquiry. The Psychedelic Index can be found at the top of the main Psychedelic Drugs page with a big link. :)

If there's anything we can help with, ask. In any case note that this thread can be merged with either of those Big & Dandy mega-threads I mentioned, so please choose one. May I suggest the Set & Setting thread? Because it's not so much about what psychedelic you ingested but how you set up the whole experience IMO. Merging means that all of this will be just moved and glued to the end of those big threads!

Hope you enjoy your stay <3 Love & Light

It sounds like two things caused problems for you primarily: increasing the dose too much and being with others when you didn't want to be.

Try 1-1 1/2 chocolates alone and see how that goes. I find that, once you hit a dose strong enough to give you strong visuals and mental effects at least as intense as you desire, adding more is unlikely to make anything better and just magnifies the chance of nausea and other unpleasant experiences. Once you're more familiar with 'shrooms you can experiment with higher doses but mushrooms are probably the single psychedelic that responds worst to increasing dose. If you want a psychedelic where you can (almost) always go further by simply taking more, try to get your hands on some LSD.

As for being with friends... Tripping in a group can be fun, but in my experience it works best when 1) at least most of the trippers are at least moderately experienced and 2) everyone has the ability to go off on their own for a while if necessary. Inexperienced groups often find themselves in uncomfortable situations like you described, in my experience, whereas in more experienced groups someone will notice the group moving in a bad direction and take charge of the situation - a change of setting, activity or even music and light levels can work wonders, as can simply changing the subject of a conversation if one or more people seem to be stuck in a thought loop. Personally, I prefer tripping alone and perhaps going out with other friends (preferably who are also tripping) later on in the night, post-peak, on my terms. If I start tripping with someone, it's pretty common to end up wanting to do different things at some point, which can cause stress, confusion and tension. Now that I'm much more experienced, I don't mind taking a lower dose and tagging along with one or more trip buddies, but even still, my high dose experiences are usually either alone or with a loved one, never in a public or social setting.

hey sykonot, cardio for sure! That really does make sense too, getting the blood flowing and all.

Here are my two DXM trip experiences, set and setting played a HUGE role. I have only taken dxm twice, and both times the liquigell at 300mgs. The first time i did dxm i went over to a friends house. After about an hour and a half i started to feel the drug, kind of a goofy unbalanced feeling. We ended up going to the bar (this bar in particular has drink specials for the hockey team i play for once a week) to meet up with friends. At first i was sitting in a booth, sipping a beer (the dxm was churning my stomach some so i wasn't really drinking, just keeping my mouth wet) feeling kind of claustrophobic. All of a sudden a certain song came on that i really liked. It was some dance beat that i dont know the name of, but it made me feel really relaxed and happy and excited at the same time. I ended up getting a ride home only about 45 mins. after i went into the bar, went home and slept...... i kind of gave up on dxm, didn't get much out of it.

The next time i tried dxm was last night. Once again, i just took 300 mgs. I searched erowid for things to do while on dxm, since as yall can probably tell from my previous posts i'm a rookie, and have yet had a really good experience. I decided to try to watch dazed and confused, but for some reason had bad diaharia. After going to and from the bathroom for about an hour or so i started to become frustrated. Finally my stomach felt better so i decided to turn the lights off and lay on the couch. On tv one of the HD channels had a fleetwood mac concert on, so i laid there and turned the brightness down on my tv and closed my eyes.... i felt really at peace, but didn't get any cevs. It was about 2 a.m. now so i went to my room to try and sleep.

I know this seems to be a rant so far, but this is where the SET/SETTING took it to a whole other level. As i was laying in bed in my dark room, i noticed one of the walls was kind of breathing, like as if i were on mushrooms.. so i decided to see if i could get some nice visuals. I began to relax my eyes and asked in my mind to be shown something (my eyes are open btw, staring up at my ceiling fan that was not moving) . At first, i would stare at my fan, as i relaxed my eyes, the room just seemed to melt away into blackness (at this point i had my night eyes, so if i tried to "come back" i could at any minute).... i started trying a couple exercises, i would make the room go blank then bring it back a couple times.... then it got really neat/strange. Once i made the room go into darkness the last time, i started seeing colors off in the distance, like i was looking up into the blackness of space... Blue swirls that i can only describe as "gasses" or something... like small galaxies or something. I noticed directly over my head there was this black tunnel, and i wanted to go into it, but was afraid of what may be there.... in my mind i asked to be shown things, and that i had nothing but good intentions.... through this black hole i thought at some point i could see eyes for a split second, then some kind of beings..... it is hard to describe, but i know it was something because i could made out a hand at one point... these images were all in shades of blue and purple, and i think some red but mostly it was blue... I never made it through that tunnel, but i could feel my soul or mind wanting to leave my body and go, and when i came out of this trance, my phone showed that an hour and a half or so had gone by, it was 3:45 a.m. but i thought, through my understanding of time, that maybe 10 mins had gone by.

For some reason after this experience i woke up a different person today... i know it was just a light dxm trip, but for some reason now i feel more compassionate. I feel like i was shown something, but i do not know what it was... nature seems more important to me now, and i feel more whole inside, just thinking about it now makes me tear up a little. The next time i trip i want to meet whoever was on the other side of that hole. The biggest difference for this trip that made it unique for me was that i had a very POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE. When i asked to be shown things, i admit i was scared inside, but by trying to communicate my want to learn with these things, it made me at ease and at peace.

i know that was long, but if u think i type long posts you should have a face to face conversation hahaha, i enjoy talking.

Im going to beyond wonderland march 26th. It is my first rave and massive. I recently started rolling a couple months ago and have been rolling every week or once every 2 weeks. recently i popped 4 at once and 2 a few hours later. so i guess ive rolled pretty hard. I think i could probably do more if i wanted but hell no haha. And ive been smoking since i was 13 (17 now). theres my drug background. i really want to do acid and i figured id do it there and have an amazing time. but idk what to expect. someone plz fill me in? oh and we have a hotel room so that parts all chill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Creating the perfect setting.

I will possibly be having a tripping party of close friends at my friend's house some time in the near future and we wanted to put in the effort and create the perfect setting for some good shrooming times. So far we're removing the TV and various other electronics, keeping the speakers out of view. We want a lot of weird textures and interesting things to experiment with in the mushroom headspace.

What recommendations do you all have? How would you all go about making your perfect indoor set in your own home?

Ambient music.
Beanbags.
Things that light up (glow-in-the-dark and/or LEDs).
Figurines (and at least one person who can provide context for each).
Low ambient light ("mood" lighting if you will)
Some clear space to lie on the floor.

And of course, be in the right set for a philosophical discussion :) at least, that's worked well for me in the past.

what do you normally do on an acid trip?

What settings and/or activities

I find there's nothing better than spending the day with just my partner, or my partner + one set of couple friends in our backyard. A sunny day in the garden with cool drinks, nibblies, a hammock, some music and a daybed = awesome fun times. :D
Also, the option of going indoors to play video games and use our bed (ahem) - and the shower - are excellent additions.

I used to be in conundrum about what to do on an acid trip..... now after some experience I just choose to write and draw, just try to come out of the trip with something more interesting than ordinary day life.