• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelics and "hard" drugs

What the relationship between your use of "hard" drugs and psychedelics?

• I don't use "hard" drugs.

Votes: 139 31.2%
  • My hard drug use came before my psychedelic use.

Votes: 84 18.9%
  • My psychedelic use came before my hard drug use.

Votes: 162 36.4%
  • I quit using hard drugs after I got into psychs.

Votes: 43 9.7%
  • I quit using psychs after I got into hard drugs.

Votes: 15 3.4%
  • I simultaneously began using hard drugs and psychs.

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters
I used acid first, but I began using it regularly about the same time I started using coke and opiates.

I first started with alcohol and weed, then began trying whatever i coudl get my hands on, mushrooms, ecstasy, ritalin, oxycontin. Only recently, in the last year or so, have i discovered the real power of psychedelics. I still use opioids or other hard drugs occasionally, though i completely avoid all stimulants now.

i never really got into hard drugs. but i have tried them. but my firsts were cannabis and lsd. and i have to say that even after all these years, they are probably still my favorite.

Isn't the term "hard drugs" just a term some bastard from the police or prohibitionist lobby came up to try and demonise certain drugs?

There are no "hard drugs" - there is only "hard" and "soft" use of drugs.

No, I'm pretty sure "hard" drugs is a term that afficionados of "soft" drugs, i.e. marijuana, came up with to try to demarcate a difference between the two. I'm well aware of the problems with the term, but as I said earlier in the thread, we all do know what I'm talking about and, short of a list, I don't think there's a better way of explaining what I mean.

fisrt i started with weed and then e and then k, for a while i was doing enough k and e and weed less, after a few shrooms and 1 acid trips i quite all hard drugs i jsut did weed and psychz

Ismene said:
Isn't the term "hard drugs" just a term some bastard from the police or prohibitionist lobby came up to try and demonise certain drugs?

i agree 100%.

SomeKindaLove said:
No, I'm pretty sure "hard" drugs is a term that afficionados of "soft" drugs, i.e. marijuana, came up with to try to demarcate a difference between the two. I'm well aware of the problems with the term, but as I said earlier in the thread, we all do know what I'm talking about and, short of a list, I don't think there's a better way of explaining what I mean.

I think you're right. It seems hard drugs are addictive whereas soft ones arn't.

^ That'd make booze a hard drug then wouldn't it.

Ismene said:
I think you're right. It seems hard drugs are addictive whereas soft ones arn't.

but then marijuana and tobacco would both be hard drugs. when people use the term hard drugs they usually arent talking about marijuana and tobacco.

B9 said:
^ That'd make booze a hard drug then wouldn't it.

I would say that by any reasonable definition, alcohol is hardcore. It is neurotoxic and hepatoxic. It is addicting. It is extremely impairing.

Ever since i started using psychedelics more often i've put my more 'hard' drug use at bay for the time being. I miss opiates but i don't crave them anymore, which is a good thing, but i still would do them.

Ismene said:

Couldnt agree more.

I also think that the media and the general public (media, many parents, the PTA, our government) is so avidly against drug use have created these perspectives and labels on various drugs that they themselves have never experienced, which they accomplish by providing only 1 side of the argument and keeping education about the drugs and how they actually work in the human body to a minimum, creating closed-minded people.

So I believe the definition of "hard drugs" & "soft drugs" is only a fabrication of the non-drug using community that seems to be extremely determined to prove drugs are worse than they really are

So in terms of which came first in my life, 'hard' or 'soft,' I dont really know for sure

This thread is not about hard vs. soft drugs.

I think many times people start thinking of psychedelics as some type of magical faery dust and not the potent, mind-altering drugs that they actually are. As concisely as I can put it, I think it boils down to this: Once you've altered your consciousness in one way, however you may go about it, the seed is planted in your mind that you can alter your consciousness again if you wish to do so, and in the future you probably will. Now, whether that be with LSD, heroin, or cigarettes; it matters not.

The semantics on this subject are so unclear. The term 'Hard Drugs' is so ambiguous that it causes many of the misunderstandings, misinformation, and prejudice that we see in the whole arena of drug use and law enforcement.
The pragmatic colloquial origins of the term are also unknown. It is so old now that no-one knows what is meant by 'Hard Drugs' although most people have their own opinions. So, what is a hard drug to one person may not be to another.
Also, there are drugs which seem to be neither 'Hard' nor psychedelic. How does one define the term 'Hard' in the context of drug use? The answer is that everyone defines it with a different set of values, and some not at all. Therefore, it would be beneficial for all people that this particular semiotic flag is erased out of our linguistics.

^Perhaps "ego-dissolving" and "ego-strengthening" would be a better semantical dichotomy than hard/soft?