• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethnobotanicals [Mescaline Subthread] Species of Cacti & Cultivation

Maybe it's relative, my times with P Torch had me almost pushed into the sofa whereas S Pedro lent itself to walking outside.

Maybe it's a seasonal thing (ie when it's harvested). Never given the DOPA injection method a serious try, but that might also alter the relative ratios. Suppose that;s natural products for you!

fastandbulbous said:
Are you talking about the total weight of alkaloidal mixture/kg fresh plant or the percentage composition of the cactus alkaloids

I was referring to the total weight of alkaloids/kg of fresh plants.

Jamshyd said:
I was under the impression that Cuzcoensis is a particular subspiecies of Peruvianus that grew in a certain area.

While there havn't been many real scientific studies of the Trichocereus genus, by examining the regional variances in cacti, along with human trade routes and movement, some tentative conclusions have been made. This page has a great "quick comparison" of Trichocereus species in regards to their native habitats by a well respected author on medicinal cactus.

http://www.entheogen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10557&page=2

As you can see, there are noticable differences between T. Peruvianus, T. "Peruvianus/Cuzcoensis", T. Bridgesii, "T. Pachanoi", etc. Unfortunately we do not have the luxury of hard scientific research, we can only make assumptions given the information we have. That is one reason why I'd love to see what f&b's "peruvian torch" looks like.

Here is a picture of a "peruvian torch" I received from a friend, which I believe to be a "short spine T. Peruvianus" sourced from Mesa Gardens in Arizona. Does this look like what your was growing f&b?

Attachments

• MG Peruvianus.jpg
    MG Peruvianus.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 68
Don't know about the spine length, but the peruvianus I had a ldarker flesh with an almost bluey tinge to it. Just going off flesh colour, the one in the photo is the same colour my San Pedros had, but the San Pedros also had these bloody long spines that were fairly solid (went through ordinary (cheap) gardening gloves.

Because of the open forum, I'll PM you with some other info a bit later today as I've been up most of the night and it's now 9am Sunday morning here so I need a few hours kip before writing coherently (not like this)

[Mescaline Subthread] Species of Cacti

So i was just wondering about the different alkaloids present in different types of cactus... i was planning on getting some san pedro, but was wondering if anyone, i dunno, "preferred" peruvian torch or another species? are the trips that much different or is it just the amount you need?

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC there's more than 300 alkaloids present in Peyote. Which one do you prefer?
Cannabis ssp's with almost similar genetic makeup can be very very different when smoked.
Back when I still smoked those my preferences depended on the environment and the time of day.

I mean to say that YMMV and probably depends entirely or set/setting and maybe a bit of totally personal preference.

(I didn't like peyote much despite several experiments, and have never tried San P. for that reason. I found the gastrointestinal distress way too distracting)

I'm heading to uni but when there i'll post up a link of alkaloids available in most psychoactive cactii.

EDIT: Proper listing below :)

Last edited:
T.pachanoi-

TOTAL ALKALOID CONTENT: 50mg/100g fresh

MESCALINE CONTENT: 25mg/100g fresh

3,4 DIMETHOXY-PHENETHYLAMINE 1-10% of total

HORDENINE: TRACES

TYRAMINE: TRACES

3-METHOXY-TYRAMINE: 1-10% of total

ANHALONIDINE: TRACES

so for every one pound of cactus, there is approximately 110 mg of mescaline...
what are these?

3,4 DIMETHOXY-PHENETHYLAMINE 1-10% of total

3-METHOXY-TYRAMINE: 1-10% of total

I think a very basic ratio is 100mg per 100gram cactus, but there is quite a lot of variety. I don't know what the other chems are besides likely precursors- 3,4DimethoxyPEA sounds rpetty similar to 3,4 TRImethoxy pea- Mescaline in other words. 3-mETHOXY-Tryamine is a metabolite of dopamine innhumans i think- as to what its doing in the cactus, who knows? Tyramine is derived from amino acid tryosine (sp?) which is the neccesary precursos for catecholamines, dopamine, adrenaline, noradrenaline. Make of that what you will :)

ok then... last question

what would you suggest as a good dos of san pedro for a "strong" trip?

thats what i did my first time...
problem is, the discrepancy in weight...
if a san pedro is 1.5 feet (approximately two doses according to that) but weighs +10 lbs... wouldn't that be a lot, in weight, of cactus?

but the potency varies from cactus to cactus.

if you're meeting with the cactus respectfully with intent on learning and understanding earth's message....then i would suggest you do as much as possible, until you puke or get closed to puking.

^^Weight is the best way to judge really. Just the rumours

thoughtsUnThought said:
but the potency varies from cactus to cactus.

if you're meeting with the cactus respectfully with intent on learning and understanding earth's message....then i would suggest you do as much as possible, until you puke or get closed to puking.

That was kinda my mind set, but i thought maybe, it was selfish, er, for the wrong reasons...? i just mean, taking more to trip harder i guess...

its just the first time i did it, wow! Sublime in every sense of the word, and when i got back from this hours long hike, back to a friends house, i felt that the next time i did it, i should do a bit more that i was on that threshold from slight visual distortion/mental perception, and full blown psychadelic experience...

anyways that was a year ago, and i just dont want to be feeling like maybe i should have taken a little more...

but that shouldn't be a problem, set and setting right?

BTW, i dont remember who said it, but in the poll for LSD vs Mescaline, i really like how "acid is laughs and fun colors, while mescaline is the teacher of the times" :D

that was me that said that acid is colors and mescaline is the teacher of the times...lol

while i can trip really hard off of low doses, i think it is respectful to take higher doses sometimes because: the higher the dose the easier it is to decipher the message the experience is sending you. hence the more intense visual displays...your brain is more capable of grasping what is being presented as alteration.
and afterall the difference between sitting in a room, and sitting in a room on mescaline is the message of a cactus. so the more of a cactus that you're sitting with would have to increase its influence and presence.

but can too much information make it hard for your brain to grasp the message?

i know ive taken doses of acid where it was sensory overload and took me weeks to sort out what happened, why, how, and only recently have i begun to look at acid as an option of ingestion... i just dont want that to happen with the cactus, but i think im thinking too much into it...

just prepare myself mentally, and open myself to the experience, instead of worrying so much about dose...

great quote too lol

yeah,i shouldve mentioned that aspect....

with overwhelming experiences, it might be hard to decipher it right away. but with enough integration time i think the correlation holds up.

but then again it easier to immediately notice how intense the message is even when being sucked into voids and whatnot.