• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethnobotanicals [Mescaline Subthread] Species of Cacti & Cultivation

If you shaved the cactus skin it would become infected and die within a day. That would absolutely 100% not work. Trichocereus grow very fast, when they're established anywhere from 12-24 inches per year. Also the larger they are the faster they grow, so it's better to have a couple of 5 ft cactus than a ton of 1ft ones. Learn a little patience and you'll have an endless supply in a few years.

I've heard once about injections of substances into cacti that would stimulate a certain conversion or metabolism. Like tyramine into mescaline but I think that's not it.
Would that be sensible though?
Never got a conclusive answer to that...

I've heard once about injections of substances into cacti that would stimulate a certain conversion or metabolism. Like tyramine into mescaline but I think that's not it.
Would that be sensible though?
Never got a conclusive answer to that...

I've heard of that too. These organisms use amino acids as the starting blocks for these chemicals. I wouldn't be surprised if adding tryptophan to mushroom substrate caused the mushrooms to produce more psilocybin. Same deal goes with cacti but since the alkaloid is a phenethylamine instead of an indoleethylamine, add phenylalanine to the soil or the cactus itself. It's possible that the influx of phenylalanine provides material for the cactus to make mescaline out of.

Of course I'm nor sure about this, just speculation of course. Phenylalanine is also likely easy to find than tyramine.

Ah right, perhaps it is also possible so supplement the cactus with a modified metabolism precursor, the same as is done with mushrooms. Mushrooms seem to 4-hydroxylate/4-phosphorylate any tryptamine you present them with, so maybe a similar thing can be done with cacti! (Hold on, there are limitations to the molecular structure mushrooms deem acceptable - call it discrimination if you must...lol)
Tricky thing though since the life cycle of a mushrooms is orders of magnitude shorter than that of cacti... but I'd love it if some research were to be done. Am I just dreaming this up or am I treading a known path? If so I'd love to hear about the results!

Shulgin's latest brainchildren (?) are the simple plant isoquinolines which is probably another chemical family but I seem to recall that they were also found in cacti or something...

Something smells funny, which is usually the case when something screaks to be discovered :)

Yeah, the basic consensus from him about the isoquinolines is that he found nothing special.

This is a known path. I recall reading about someone who added DET to mushroom substrate and it resulted in more potent mushrooms. Somewhere on erowid I believe.

Also on erowid is mention of injecting cacti with tyramine.

I don't believe any significant results were obtained however; I'm sure the practice would be more common if it indeed was noticeably beneficial.

There should be no doubt that it's a totally cumbersome practice, especially if you're after potency but it just might be interesting from a pioneers perspective...
Bring on the exotic compounds ;)

growing peruvian torch in winter

hi, i have manged to obtain quite a few peruvian torch seeds and my last attempt wasnt too succesful then i got raided by the police and it all got taken!
anyway s**t happens.
Anyway, i just read this website that says they see sprouts in about a week or two.
http://forums.mycotopia.net/botanica...dro-seeds.html

i was wondering if it is possible to germinate and grow the seeds under two 26wcfls like on the website.

if so they are a bit unclear about the subste/soil that you use. do you need to steralise it or is it ok? sorry im from a mushroom background so steralisation always scares me lol.
any info would be great growing them quickly would be lovely and i dont want the seeds to go to waste.
thanks for your help, sorry about the long post!
jack

You can sprout them and get them ready to put outside in the spring but don't expect them to actually grow. They need the strength of the sun.

I bring my cacti indoors over the winter and put them on a south facing windowsill. They survive there but they don't grow again until I put them outside in the spring.

Also to answer your other question, sterilization isn't very important at all.

With mushrooms its only important because you're making an environment that allows fungus to flourish, but only want the one type of fungus.

But you don't have to worry about other plants popping up in your soil. ^^

cacti will go dormate in cold climates. i would wait until the weather is warm again.
dont sterilize your soil. you want life in there.

i really only grow for aesthetic reasons. it requires too much material to justify cutting down my poor little friend who will have by that time grown to be a beauty.

no sterilization needed (though it's already been said) cacti are pretty easy to maintain. take miracle grow and cut it with just regular soil and maybe some sand has always worked for me. also, you could always get cuttings of other legal mescalito cactus and grow it easily potted indoors without much maintenance, watering or constant light.

also, most people on 'topia (the website you linked to) generally use saran wrap over their grown-from-seed cacti, keeping in mind you have to watch the wetness/humidity and mold growth a little closer when you do that.

i really only grow for aesthetic reasons. it requires too much material to justify cutting down my poor little friend who will have by that time grown to be a beauty.

This is why I've been wanting a couple of San Pedros and/or l. williamsii to grow. I love having plants around anyway - I would want to keep them for as long as I could instead of chomping them down when they were ready. I think it would make a great heirloom for a future child/grandchild if he/she was interested in it.

my brother had good success growing out a pair of san pedros under standard grow lights (well, by standard i mean commercial standard) dont know if that would work for the torches too but itd be worth a try. they loved those lights, shot up like 8in in a year

my San Pedro cactus has gone through some rough times... at the end of last summer, it got quit a bit less sun than normal, and ended up shrinking at the top. I feel like the skinnier section isn't going to support future growth... I know you can take cuttings from the base, but is there anyway to cut the cactus towards the top and have it continue to grow? I figure the cactus will just scab over like the base would, but stop growing all together?

my San Pedro cactus has gone through some rough times... at the end of last summer, it got quit a bit less sun than normal, and ended up shrinking at the top. I feel like the skinnier section isn't going to support future growth... I know you can take cuttings from the base, but is there anyway to cut the cactus towards the top and have it continue to grow? I figure the cactus will just scab over like the base would, but stop growing all together?

i've had a catus that due to an unfortunate event had been broken into two pieces. i left the lower half as it was and waited for the bottom of the top part to dry and then planted it into soil. it took a while for the top half to grow roots, but it started growing again. meanwhile the lower half buit a scab at the top and grew two branches at the edges. so both parts continue to grow.

i've got a similar problem. my largest cactus (>1m) didn't dry fast enough when putting it inside this autumn and as i didn't want to risk it rotting and collapsing in itself (has happened one of my cacti last winter :(), i let it stand at room temperature for too long, so it started become thin at the top. i'll just hope that it can support it's weight and gets a bit thicker at the thinnest part next summer :\

i've had a catus that due to an unfortunate event had been broken into two pieces. i left the lower half as it was and waited for the bottom of the top part to dry and then planted it into soil. it took a while for the top half to grow roots, but it started growing again. meanwhile the lower half buit a scab at the top and grew two branches at the edges. so both parts continue to grow.

so let me get this right (I'm a little bit incapacitated right now): the bottom (the part I want to keep) will scab up, then grow two branches out of that? Will the cactus be able to support to two branches that come out of the sides? That sounds really cool, but I don't know if it will be sustainable...