PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethnobotanicals [Mescaline Subthread] Species of Cacti & Cultivation

dj asterix

Bluelighter
Back to main mescaline thread

[original post]

I was wondering which type of cactus(eg. san pedro, peyote, peruvian torch) was the best to grow? I know peyote takes many years to grow to the point where it can be harvested, does this bear true for all of them? And also are some stronger then others, or give a better high?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I had looked around erowid and just not seen it. Now that I have however I noticed it says one can purchase kilos of dried san pedro. I was wondering where could you find this? Im not asking for sources, just the type of store that would sell such a thing.

You will only find such a thing online, and you will not be permitted to ask where.

Just buy some San Pedros at a store or off the net. If you can grow them correctly you'll get it much cheaper than if you were to buy dryed "Ceramonial" items off the internet that might just happen to fall into your mouth. San Pedro seems like the best choice to grow due to the fact that its fairly easy to do and it grows quickly. Peruvianus is about the same just a little harder to find, though easy from seed. As for mesc. content San Pedro has about 2% dry wight. Many now clam Peruvianus does as well, though there is some doubt. Plus if you grow your own you get the satisfaction that makes tripping on a cactus Really worth it, growing it on your own helping it along and keeping it alive as it gives you something and you give it something in return. Rather than just getting it from someone. But if youd rather just want a cheap way ot "Get Off". You'll have no trouble after a good serch on the net.

Peyote are generally regarded to be the most potent of the various mescaline containing cacti. However, peyote is also illegal to own in most states. A legal alternative is the Trichocereous Peruvianus. It has almost the same mescaline content as peyote. The San Pedro cactus is also potent but only about one tenth that of the peruvianus. The added bonus is that they are both legal ot own in most of the U.S. Once again erowid.org has many answers to this question...

Originally posted by UCSBdruguser:
Peyote are generally regarded to be the most potent of the various mescaline containing cacti. However, peyote is also illegal to own in most states.
Not to mention that it takes around thirty years for peyote to contain enough mescaline to produce a strong trip. Because of this, peyote is an endangered plant and in real danger of becoming extinct. Please everyone, use San Pedro or Peruvian Torch to experience mescaline and leave the poor peyote cacti alone.
Please, however, don't consider this public service announcement as a discouragement from trying mescaline.

Originally posted by vegtable:

it takes around thirty years for peyote to contain enough mescaline to produce a strong trip.

I've seen sources that say it is around 15 years, but I don't claim to be a cactus expert. I'm not. You can also speed up the growth of peyote by grafting it on a fast growing cacrus, such as the san pedro. Grown with this method, one could harvest peyote cacti in a few years.

^^^
While it is certainly possible to speed up peyote's growth process, doing so can produce a less potent plant. Mescaline is produced as part of the cactus' defense mechanism against insects and disease. If the cactus is put into optimal growing conditions, it will not be exposed to as many adverse situations, so it will not need to produce as much mescaline. You can still get very high from a quickly grown cactus, but you'll need to choke down more cactus juice.
Grafting, however, works wonders. There isn't the same trade-off as with other fast-growing techniques. So you won't have to choke down as much cactus juice.

Originally posted by craig420:

I call bullshit on this.

There have been reports showing peruvian torch to have about eight times the mescaline content by weight. However, most other reports I have read have shown this to be an exception rather than a rule. Depending on growing conditions, the mescaline content of both San Pedro and Peruvian Torch can vary wildly. So it is unlikely that there will ever be a definitive answer. It is accepted though, that on average, peruvian torch contains more mescaline than san pedro.

Wow, the misinformation here is pretty thick. You can get peyote to a usable size in under 5 years if you do it right. As for the rest... go get a copy of K. Trout's book on cacti and read some good info. Theres a ton of garbage info on the net.

Primarily your biggest error was that peyote takes so long to be useful, that plus youre perpetuating the "peruvianus is stronger" myth. Both are false.

Originally posted by Murple:
Primarily your biggest error was that peyote takes so long to be useful, that plus youre perpetuating the "peruvianus is stronger" myth. Both are false.
i was under the same impression as you murple.

Hope we can all try & come to a conclusion as to which is the best mescaline containing cactus(best effects from human consumption) as this seems very useful to many ;)

I've heard people argue that San Pedro and Peruvian Torch are about equal potency,
but recently I prepared/dried a 15 inch
San Pedro and a 12 Inch Peruvian Torch...
(Only the outer dark green skin)
You can actually see (what I believe to be) Mescaline Crystals on the dried Peruvian Torch...
Not quite so with the San Pedro, theres almost none on the San Pedro...(you can see the small crystals in the container that the dried Peruvian Torch was stored in too)
Maybe it had to do with how old and dehydrated the Peruvian Torch was (it was very crappy looking, thin, dehydrated, probably an older cutting) or I just got lucky and it was one of those lucky potent ones...
[ 25 November 2002: Message edited by: BlueDeer ]

It cound also be the dryed mucus from the cactus, after all what happens when you wipe you nose on your sleave and leave it there for some time? Little crystals. It would be a DAM Wonder of nature of the drying mucus excreating cuctus would some how form some type of crystals from its flesh!!!!