LSD overdose is no myth

^Why on earth should this thread be deleted? Is a bad trip an irrelevant experience? Should we be filling BL with only glowing trip reports and positive experiences.

Ok so perhaps tokey may not be putting across the most informed point of view, but that's where people like Petersko and you can step in and correct any misinformation.

Like or not, LSD most certainly does have an LD50, we just don't know what it is in humans to any accurate degree.

Petersko said:

Regardless of being quoted in erowid, I strongly suspect it's bullshit. Lots of things people claim just aren't true.

Who has enough LSD to cut it into lines when an average dosage is so small as to be nearly invisible to the naked eye? And how does one come by such an amount without knowing what it is? Nobody carries a baggie of LSD crystals with them to share around. It's measured in micrograms, not milligrams.

Coma, hyperthermia, and bleeding associated with massive LSD overdose, a report of eight cases.
Klock JC, Boerner U, Becker CE.
Clin Toxicol 1975;8(2):191-203

Eight patients were seen within 15 min of intranasal self-administration of large amounts of pure D-lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) tartrate powder. Emesis and collapse occurred along with sign of sympathetic overactivity, hyperthermia, coma, and respiratory arrest. Mild generalized bleeding occurred in several patients and evidence of platelet dysfunction was present in all. Serum and gastric concentrations of LSD tartrate ranged from 2.1 to 26 ng/ml and 1000 to 7000 mug/100 ml, respectively. With supportive care, all patients recovered. Massive LSD overdose in humans is life-threatening and produces striking and distinctive manifestations.

^Clinical Toxicology is not exactly a disreputable journal. The 'acid mistaken for cocaine' incident very likely did happen. Also here is an abstract from a paper taken from the Kentuck Medical Journal that documents an incident where a man IVed 320,000ug of acid. The possibility that the man's death was caused by fatal overdose is discussed.

So clearly LSD can be obtained in MILLIGRAM amounts. This guy had 320 mg. Just because your contacts can't provide you with anything of this order of magnitude doesn't mean it cannot happen and has not happened.

LSD breaks down quickly and flushes from the system in a very small amount of time. LSD does not work in any way that could allow for such a ridiculous story to be true.

True, there's no way in hell acid could last longer than several hours. However there are WELL documented cases of people having severe HPPD for years after their last dose of acid. To the uninformed idiot, this could be interpreted as 'tripping for years'. Not saying the guy DID trip for a year, just that some people might view it as such. (Yes they'd be wrong)

People on this forum seem to have a habit of making acid out to be harmless, like a stroll in the park. All I'm saying is don't give people that impression, even if it is completely non-neurotoxic and has little long term side effects (which is arguable anyway).

seems like a lot of negativity went out against this thread.

anywho, besides my opinion that no argument should be confronted negatively if you wish to finish it properly, drugs fuck different people up in different ways. The human brain is no where near being understood by the highest intellecuals in their respected fields. I think people sometimes focus on their reactions to different drugs and assume that those effects that they feel are what the drug does to everyone. Drugs alter your state of mind, but there are no two minds alike.

To get to the point, imo drugs are sold by dealers. They wish to make the most profit, in most cases, that is availible in their location. Drugs get cut with things. Some drugs don't get cut with things i.e. weed (or extremley rare i would think). Whatever he took, the negative effects obviously outweighed teh possitive.

and to the thread starter, i can't remember the name because i'm drunk, i hear where you'rec coming from. all of you, and i say this in the spirit of harm reduction, please try and stear twards a more introspective outlook on what you "know" about drugs. they can ruin your life right infront of your blind eyes. life is hard and i know escape is relief for many, but in life itself, there is the possiblilty for an unmatched satisfaction. and to be satisfied, imo, is what most people are living towards

i would say there is a little truth in some of this. LSD is one of the most powerfull drugs known to man. Its effects are unpredictable, its appeal had declined due to the rise of exctasy - IMO a much more tolerable drug for most, causing less bad trips.

i dont know about permanent trips, but certainly predisposed ppl can be tipped over the edge by acid.

ImO the most dangerous aspect of acid was how it makes societal rules dissapear - well it did with a group of us: once a certain 2 guys were beating many ppl up in our town with baseball bats, nobody dare group together to rid us of these pains. One night while several of us were coming down from acid we just said ok lets just kill them, we'll get a gun and shoot em and do everyone a favour. This could have been done so easily, had we found them we would perhaps be all serving time. Had we not had acid would we have thought of doing this - NO WAY.

I have seen over the years in squats and when i was travelling with the convoy (drop out hippies), i was some real acid casualties, these ppl were definitely derranged through taking acid on pretty much daily basis - god knows how they even felt it after a time.

As for me I have done hundreds of trips and i wouldnt go near it today.
Yes i am scared of the drug. In fact i know only about 1 in ??? hardly any ppl of my age who take drugs now and have been since they were young - none would take acid now, so why do you think that is?

i used to think everyone should take acid, i did and i am glad i did, i wont ever again, i know that. But should everyone take it - NO.

As for its toxic effects or organ damage, this is news to me. It seems unlikely.

Certainly I don't want to underestimate the power of the drug. I just feel spreading misinformation is a crime.

Snorting a line of pure LSD by accident is just fantastically unlikely for many reasons. But I'll respect potato's post (and Erowid) and agree that it did in fact happen. I'm not unreasonable.

According to Erowid, only one LSD death by overdose can be found on record, and it was an IV of 320mg. Now, Erowid can hardly be considered complete, but I think we can all agree that when it comes to physical manifestation of problems, LSD is one of the safest trips going.

Mentally is a different situation, of course. But I think calling HPPD a "never ending trip" is misleading and innacurate.

The information about the organ damage is false and came from the dickhead doctor at the ER. When I talked about acid ruining promising lives I was referring the deranged, acid casualties that ebeneezer_geeza was referring too. I would venture to say most drug users, at least in my area and at my college, are fucking idiots. These people don't research what they take and believe that E and LSD sits in your spinal fluid forever, yet still take the drugs because everyone else does. Many of you may think I'm misinformed or that I'm just looking to spoil your fun or fuck with your knowledge but I'm not. I believed in the culture, the information, the trip reports, the science and the common attitude of bluelighters. If I was misinformed than that information came from the asshole doctors and nurses who talked to my friend, books, erowid and bluelighters. Everything I know about drugs is mostly personal experience combined with basic research that every responsible person should conduct before taking drugs or look-alike drugs. I know that if I had chosen a different word than overdose in this thread than it would never have gotten the number of responses it did and the discussion would never have advanced this far. Bad trip? Everything that happens with an LSD experience can't be summed up so well. My friends trip was AWESOME for over half of it before his mind splintered apart and became weak. There is no one lesson to be learned from all of this but several. I'm very proud to be part of a website so dedicated to informing people the best they can about drug facts while at the same time providing community, both intellectual and interesting discussions and with the intent of reducing harm associated with drug use. This website is important, this forum is important and this thread is important. I'm glad the mods did not close it when I said "feel free to close this," because then I may have given up my point of view and yielded to pushy people simply waving their hand and saying, "bahh bad trip," "shut the hell up," and "delete this thread." I care about what happens to others when they make the leap into LSD without being able to look. I'm here to learn and help and not to spread misinformation to justify my own emotions. I know who I am and what I'm doing here and it is by no means to contribute to the wealth of unfounded drug information. Like it or not, morons take drugs, people make mistakes and speak out at the wrong times while using the wrong words and casualties have and will fall to all drugs no matter how safe they are percieved to be.

If you have acid, combine it with whatever you want.
^A statement like this is not in the interest of harm reduction and should probably be edited.

Everything that happens with an LSD experience can't be summed up so well.

That's for sure. An LSD experience really is something "completely different." I agree with those that say it just isn't so to claim that it is almost completely harmless, even in normal doses. Physically, yes, but not necessarily mentally, though my experience was that no matter how wrung out I felt from it, a much more brief time than expected has always been sufficient for recovery.

Years ago I did it regularly for about a decade, and I didn't keep doing it because it was a bad time; I had no bad trips per se, though it could be a psychic ordeal after awhile if the setting wasn't just right or if I was tired or not in the right frame of mind. Anyone in my circle of friends that did it more often than I did eventually burned out, though other things were involved too, and that didn't escape my notice.
But I had a lot of great times, and once I even got to enjoy attending an extraordinary musical event on Jerry Garcia's birthday at Manor Downs during their interminable tour :\ (would that were really so ;) ) after a couple nice blotters.

I'd like to try it again sometime, but it's been a number of years now, and the truth is that I probably wouldn't do it today if given the chance. It could just be too disrupting to the life that's gradually developed since all those times years ago when I was so ready to roll the cosmic dice and blow away all the social encrustations in my mind so I could figure it all out for myself again on a moment's notice.

A few years ago I tried a small amount of some cactus that was really kind of helpful, and I enjoyed that.

hey

Some people have reactions to drugs that the majority wouldn't have, even to a diffrent batch of stuff. If you were selling sheets of acid, You could sell 30000 sheets and then sell 1 tab and it kills that person. People react diffrently to substances, including by-products-- as in what is used to make it. Lot of diffrent things can be used to stabalize the acid to the paper so it doesn't just degrade right away.

digital

(from memory) LSD is relatively stable although I think it degrades slowly with UV exposure (ie sunlight). So you shouldn't need to add 'stabalizers' to blotters.

And as mentioned above, there is only one recorded death from LSD overdose. Sure it affects everyone differently, but that doesn't mean people who are hypersensitive to it are going to drop dead. It means they may have a scary/bad experience, or experience psychological trauma as a result of the trip that stays with them for long after the drug wears off.

You're right potato. Generally, the solvent used is a fast-evaporating alcohol.

Blotter acid is unstable though. It does degrade over time, and degradation can be accelerated.

If you were selling sheets of acid, You could sell 30000 sheets and then sell 1 tab and it kills that person. People react diffrently to substances, including by-products-- as in what is used to make it. Lot of diffrent things can be used to stabalize the acid to the paper so it doesn't just degrade right away.

Misinformation. Again.

Couldn't it have been meth? I read that of all the trips that contain a substance other than lsd, meth is most often found..

I don't think you could put meth on a single blotter in a sufficient dose and no it was not meth, it was a psychedelic.

lsd overdose? LMAO!! I have been around the scene for awhile when buying blotters you are either getting what you want, which is anice dose of lsd or you are getting a piece of paper. people who rip others off are not going to tkae the time to put meth on a peace of paper and it wouldnt work in the first place. I ate some great white at hookahville and brought some back and one hit had me wigged out and confined to a tent for a short period of time. he thought he didnt stop tripping because that drug has a wonderful after glow and if you dont force your self to sleep you will just stay up cheesing at noises that will eventually annoy you until you do sleep. Sorry for my attitude but no one is going to overdose from conventional lsd. and when someone has killer acid they are usually responsible enough to tell you to only eat one. meth i n acid first time I ever heard that one. thats like heroin based roles. it just dont happen.

^They used to put LSD in combination with amphetamines in capsules in the early 70's, erowid has a list of different kinds of lsd and how much of it and how much of other drugs were in it. I don't understand, do you find the afterglow wonderful or annoying? I can't tell if you were being sarcastic or not.

the afterglow can be enjoyable and annoying depends on what you have to do the next day. when I am at a music festival and the sun has came up and I am still enjoying myself then I dont have a problem with that feeling. I was only talking about blotter not capsules with lsd. sure someone could put meth that way but not on blotter. acid affects me differently everytime. it depends on how my mood is and what has been going on in mylife lately. this week at it was a wonderful drug and a very memorable trip. it isnt something you want to do regularly though. your friend probably just has some issues in life and with himself and acid can bring these out ten fold. it makes you feel naked all over. sometimes it is best just to be by yourself on it for a short while just to calm down, and plus I always feel like someone is talking or about me if they are not when they hang around. I highly recommend trying acid though at a music festival though. we camped at frontier ranch right on top of hill by the stage and even after ekoostik hookah was done puts on a light show with the stage lights on a nice foggy evening until the sun came up. I havenot seen that much acid going around at in along time. free hits were evrywhere. I wil stop rambling now. I just love the feeling of acid after you have gotten comfortable with being on it. Its kind of like hookahs lyrics" I remember the first time that I recognized , that I could do anything that, came to my mind. hope evryone has a great summer though and the white perferated is going tobe around all summer long too. peace everyone.

Last edited:
tokey said:
Just handling these blotters will get you started tripping.

Anyone else remember when people didn't sprout this kind of tabloid drug-fantasy crap?

RE: The original post. If it was LSD, you didn't overdose from one tab. Your tremors etc. are common psychoactive effects. If you can't handle your acid, there's no need to scare others too!

Peace.

RollinWitAcoldBilly said:
It is possible that the hit(s) contained LSD but not only LSD as the single psychoactive ingrediant, which is why he most likely assumed it to be LSD and only LSD. There was probably enough LSD in it to cause an LSD high.

Just like ecstasy, I see no reason for acid to not be cut to shit with other cheaper, and bunk substitutes if i was the criminal manufacturing them.

Acid gets cut with vodka, as it comes in liquid. I have yet to hear of real tainted acid, there are many myths with acid. Fact being it causes panic episodes and who knows what else can be manifested from mind over matter.

However, with the amount of acid needed to cause a reaction there are so few other thing that it could be that would be in enough volume to cause a reaction.

I am no advocate for the stuff, many people have had fragile minds damaged and have done things that have caused very negative long term consequences. But to date i havent heard of it causing organ failure. It is possible that fear can kill you - but its rare. Acid is far from "safe" no drug is totaly without dangers, but i would like to see the facts.

hey

I was pretty sure you can OD on LSD but I didn't think it could kill you, only destroy your mental stability?

digit

Unless you have access to a bundle of crystal or a lot of liquid, your chances of ''OD-ing'' aren't high. Certainly highly unlikely from a single tab, as the opener of this thread worried.

For me, LSD has increased my mental stability.

But it's only for optimistic, open people; a vast sense of humour is an absolute necessity.

x

^Albert Hoffman's first ingestion of LSD was accidental and it was absorbed through his fingertips. Try reading all of the discussion and not just the beginning. It has already passed the part where I admitted that I mischaracterized the trip as an overdose.

Welcome to your first bad trip.

I've had four. All of them on acid. One lasted over forty hours, involving a dose of 1,500 mics.

I've found that any dose blow 500 mics is just a partial trip. At 700 - 800 mics, LSD becomes a completely different animal than at lower doses. Anyone who thinks that LSD and shrooms are similar is talking about lower doses.

My last bad trip put me off of LSD for good. Too scary, and after tripping more than 200 times I feel that I have gotten all the good out of it I can get, but I see that there is an unlimited amount of bad, should I choose to pursue it.

I won't.

I now prefer shrooms, and when I need an ego death, I know that 10 grams of good cubies will do the trick, or better yet 5 grams of a strong thai.

DMT will cause a fast ego death and provide a wonderful experience (even if it scares you) that will not place the psychological demands on you that tripping for two days does.

Hope you see that it isn't the drug, btw, that causes bad trips. This was simply an experience that you wanted to show yourself (for whatever reason) and did.

You will return to 'normal', but you are forever changed. This is a GOOD thing, a growth requires change, and who couldn't use a little growth?