• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery I can't go on, I'll go on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fun fact: it takes the liver about 20 minutes to filter out stress hormones (at a minimum), so if one is struggling with a craving putting it off for just 20 minutes for them to pass. Using that time to deal with whatever challenge one is facing with whatever tools one finds most helpful (I most will do some sort of mindful awareness practices, and/or I'll find someone to talk to about what's going on IRL or online here) can really make them infinitely more managible.

Or another way is to spend 20 minutes doing something enjoyable and relaxing that is able to distract them for one to feel better. I find mindful awareness practices and meditation to work more efficiently than watching TV or playing video games or something, but there are a lot of possibilities with this. Just 20 minutes! ;)

It blows my mind how even just 20 minutes of concentrated mindfulness wil help me move beyond merely struggling with whatever I'm finding activating/triggering at the time.

Hi Dreamflyer!! Thankyou for the response.

I do not mind you asking my triggers Anger. Feeling overwhelmed/anxiety. Boredom. I guess that covers life entirely.

Dreamflyer-doesnt this crap frustrate the hell out of you?! Three weeks out of every month is pretty darn good! I also hope you acknowledge all that clean time. If I may ask-what triggers you on that last week? And my cravings, most of the time, build. DF-the bottom line is if I dont make the changes I need to in my life-I fear I may stop fighting and go all in.

I thrive when I'm interacting w people. I'm a social person. I've been kind of shut off from people due to chronic pain and unbeknowest to me until 3yrs ago-bipolar2. I suffered severe anxiety/panic attacks. Also life always had this dark cloak of foreboding over it. The only time I felt "normal" was on something. Back then my tolerance was ridiculous. I could put a 100mcg fentynal patch in my mouth and function. Now I overdose on 3/4 of a bag and lyrica together. And I couldn't be more grateful.

I really do want to get better. I loved life clean alot better. I hope your having a good day

TPD/-thankyou for sharing those fun facts. It makes conplete sense. Hope you are slso having a great day in sunny California.

A lot of us (people with substance use problems) struggle with mental health issues, whether diagnosed or not. 10Years, your mention of a bipolar diagnosis brought this to mind. Personally, some of the best traction I've gotten on my cravings/compulsions to use came when I started looking deeply at how my depression affects my overall decision-making. I also got to a point where the only way I could feel sort of like myself was by getting high. Otherwise, the depression just overwhelmed me.

I suppose it's related to mindfullness--what ultimately helped me was learning how to be peace with being "in" depression. I always used to feel like when the black dogs came, I had to fight like hell to get away. Once getting away became synonymous with shooting heroin, I was in a bad spot indeed. Over the last year, I practiced separating the urge to use from the urge not to be depressed. Thanks to lots of practice, this eventually let me get some distance from narcotics.

Unfortunately, once I felt sorta out of the woods, I got slack about practicing this, and I feel I've become more fragile over the four or five months...hence my problems stopping the kratom.

Actually, tomorrow is the one-year anniversary from when I went into the psych hospital. That was really when things started to turn around for me. I'll post a reflection on that experience tomorrow.

<3
Sim

Dammit - I typed a long response and lost it. God I hate that lol.

Ok Sim-because I don't know how to "quote" - I had to read over your statement of once you got out of the woods you got slack and have been feeling fragile. You are saying you stopped dutifully practicing your mental stuff , right? And therefore, the depression has kind of gotten a hold again?

Many years of cluster headaches forced me to learn bio-feedback like mind stuff a/k/a guided imagery . It was that or possibly jump through or out of a window during the pain. It is sooo intense and all-consuming. I had to learn how to calm down-both when I feel one coming on ( as I can start "omg - I CANT DO THIS!!! & I DONT WANT TO DO THIS-my heart bangs out of my chest,etc) and DURING the episode-that can last between 15-90mins on average.

I have to come up with (and fast) -a pleasant thought or memory. The pain gets so intense witin five minutes that that can be extremely difficult. If Im unable to come up with something to focus on, things spin out of control and the experince is fraught w crushing anxiety. Every time I go through these, I believe its never going to end and I will spend the rest of my life in that indescribable pain. So-I've learned to have thoughts and memories picked out ahead of time. So when it starts I choose one imediately. Does that make any sense Sim? I have 3-5 pleasant thoughts I choose from. Maybe that helps? I dont know but I hope so. I get what you're saying.

I also look very forward to reading your reflections on your experience.

Dreamflyer-I experienced the exact same stuff. When you dont have your meds-suffice to say its terrible I get it. Believe me. Neurontin was life-changing for me. I believe in mindfulness, pharmacetical and spiritual together.

Somehow, I dropped the ball. I tried so hard to pick it up. Thats why, as much as I didnt want to, Implanning on going on subs I need to get stable. To stop blowing a majority of my money. My husband and I make enough money to have a pretty good life-but we blow almost all our money on drugs. I cant stand it but we cant seem to get it together. We need help. So my husband says hes on board w subs-we'll see. My plan is for one of us to get an Rx and split them. Im ok on 2mgs a day by the 4th or 5th day. I start w 4mg/day.

My sub connect, is once again flaking out. What do I expect from someone addicted tocrack and heroin? But I keep hoping she'll fill her script. Im limping through this. Its been tough. Im so very tired of this life.

Here's to all of us finding peace in our lives. Much love to everyone. xoxo

Last edited by a moderator:
10Years...yes your read on my situation is just right. I was very disciplined about working on my recovery (both drug-related and psychiatric) for several months. But as the crises receded into the background I did just what you described--stopped practicing getting better daily. Once I slowed down (and finally pretty much stopped) it was a slow process, but eventually I found myself back in a tired and vulnerable state.

One question--would you have any interest in getting a legit sub script for yourself? Many people find that participating in a well-run suboxone maintenance program is quite helpful, in addition to the help they get from the suboxone itself. Also, one of the nice things about getting suboxone prescribed to you is that it gets you out of the orbit of drug dealers.

Yes -I would love a legit, structured sub program. Along w a therapist, the gym, a good home group mtg., etc.

I'm in a tough spot financially. Though we make ok money, our drug bullshit has gotten us behind. We have to get stable and catch up. Im not sure if both my husband and I can pay sub dr, for the subs (my ins doesnt cover them) -so the plan is for one of us to go to sub dr next month and share an Rx. Temporarily-until we get our bearings. Get ahead money-wise - then go individually. Hope that made sense , I'm not feeling well.

Yesterday was the one-year anniversary of the day I went into the hospital. Although I relapsed pretty hard after my release, I think of that hospital stay as the moment when I started getting some traction on my psychiatric and drug-related problems. I just wanted to reflect a bit on what went down a year ago.

In the days leading up to the hospitalization I tried to kill myself two or three times (I don't remember clearly). I was shooting heroin four or five times daily. I was hearing terrifying voices, telling me to kill myself, as well as other macabre things. Nobody knew I was using; I had told different lies to various people and couldn't keep them straight. I felt completely alone and backed into a corner by my own dishonesty and my seemingly bottomless need to get high. I'm finding now that there are details of those days that I can't bring myself to write about. Suffice it to say that an old friend of mine got worried when I didn't respond to his calls. He found me unconscious and, once I came around, he convinced me to get to the hospital. That's how I wound up in the emergency room, begging to be admitted to the psych ward.

To my relief, the intake nurses admitted me right away. I'm not sure what they saw in me, but everyone got a freaked out vibe and reminded my armed guard not to leave my side after they talked to me.

Unfortuntely, the there was no room at the inn. The psych unit had no beds available. So I began a 3-day stint of camping on a gurney in the hallway of the ER. I did the majority of my detoxing in that hallway, running back and forth to the bathroom in my ridiculous hospital gown and assuring the guard and the nurses I didn't need to be followed in there. The hours all blurred together. Some stretches of time went really fast. Then, especially in the wee hours, I'd stare at the acoustic tiling on the ceiling wondering what was going on outside. I had no idea how long I'd be in that limbo. But I couldn't do much about it because they had put me on a 72-hour involuntary hold. And then when 72 hours came and went, they put me on a 2-week involuntary hold. Those holds actually reduced my anxiety--I didn't want to be outside. I was afraid of myself and I was still hearing voices.

About 3-1/2 days into my stay, a bed finally opened upstairs. I was whisked up there, riding in a wheelchair and carrying my clothes in a paper bag. I was afraid that I'd freak out--get claustrophobia--when the door shut behind me in the locked ward. But it actually worked quite the opposite: when the door closed behind me, I felt safe from the world. I felt like I'd gotten a reprieve...I couldn't hurt myself, and I couldn't get any drugs. Riding that knife-edge was over.

The next two weeks were incredible. I got really lucky, and the hospital I was in was fantastic; my doctors were also fantastic. (Coincidentally, it was the hospital where I was born. From my window in the unit, I could see the windows of the ob/gyn department where I spend my first nights on Earth.)

One of the most critical things my doctors did was to de-escalate my medications. After years of therapy, I was taking huge amounts of many psych meds. There was consensus that this was not a good thing. So they pulled me down to zero medication the first day. Then they slowly introduced a few meds, monitoring my blood closely to assure that I was taking the minimum effective dose. I'm not sure if the meds were the issue, but once they removed the stacks of pills, the voices I was hearing receded.

I spent most of my days in group and individual therapy. The group therapy was almost all CBT-based. That was when I started getting serious about self care and working on skills to redirect myself from bad habits of thinking. After a few weeks in the hospital, I was discharged to a partial hospitalization program where I spent a month. Then I entered an intensive outpatient rehab program that I participated in for several months in various ways.

Things have never been the same since I went into the hospital, and that's probably for the best. I spent almost a year trying to get myself back to work, but in the end I had to walk away from my career of many years--just too much baggage. Just now I got back from a beautiful walk with my wife and my dog, and overall my life is very good. But everything is still tinged with sadness. The nightmare of the months and especially the days before my hospitalization still haunts me. I'm incredibly glad to have been able to get away from daily heroin use. But I still have a weird feeling that the world is an irredeemably sad place.

It's amazing what kind of stuff our bodies can survive. I'm glad you made it, dreamflyer.

This business with the anniversary of my time in the hospital is turning out to be more emotional than I thought it would be. I lay awake in bed for about two hours this morning, just thinking of all the shit that's gone down in the last 18 months or so. The ODs, the psychosis, the brutal depression, my mom dying, my career imploding, my scorched earth approach to getting away from heroin, leaving home for a fresh start across the country...and now the uncertainty about what the fuck I'm going to do with myself from here.

I don't have the kinds of feelings I used to, and for the most part that's good. I'm less depressed and less compelled to get outside myself. But no emotions have come in to fill the vacuum that I created when I wrenched myself out of my downward spiral last year. I'm still pretty much incapable of enthusiasm and ambition--things I used to have in spades (a long time ago, if I'm honest). I do feel love for my wife, my dog and my friends and family. And for weeks at a time, this feels like enough. But this anniversary has somehow alerted me that things aren't right.

Of course, maybe it's just not realistic to expect joy...joy was never my strong suit. For years I was fine with being depressed, but also feeling intensely interested in my work. That evaporated at the same time I got into heroin (I still don't know what was cause and what was effect there). Now I'm basically a 'dry drunk', to use the goofy AA phrase--I abstain from the drugs that got me into trouble, but I'm still pretty much of a wreck...less than I used to be, but ready to fall if a good wind hit me.

Well, I'm rambling at this point. Time to get my head into something else for at least a few hours.

That's a creepy story, DF...both the parts about the cops and the part about your neighbor.

Last spring I had a run-in with the cops that wasn't so different from what you described about the scene in the bar. I never liked being around police in the first place. But after that, I was a mess for a days.

And I totally hear you about bumming on the state of the world. Holy shit. It's like we're living in a Hieronymous Bosch (sp?) painting. Everybody in power seems to be crazy, mean and venal. A terrifying combo.

^^
That's so weird, Dreamflyer, I had a "heroin album" myself. I almost always listened to it when I used. Of course it's completely ruined for me now...it's spoiled for me. I never did destroy my copy, though, as my physical disc has sentimental value aside from its darker history.

Mine was Ys by Joanna Newsom. Do you feel comfortable sharing what your was?

I had actually considered starting a thread about these kinds of albums, but I wasn't sure anyone would know what the hell I was talking about. ;)

In any case, it sounds like a good step, destroying that album. For what it's worth, the process of removing dope from my life felt like a series of deaths in the family. Just a constant sensation of loss. It gets better; that loss all but vanishes. Every now and then I get flashes of nostalgia. But at this point the emotion is blunted and they are pretty rare.

Good work, DF!

Last edited:
I'm not sure why I didn't mention this before, but I've been tapering my Rx'ed clonazepam for the last ~12 months, and last night I jumped off. That is, yesterday was my first day completely off the klonopin.

I was nervous about it, but things went fine. No more trouble sleeping than usual (I almost always have a bit of insomnia in the middle of the night). And no crazy anxiety. We'll have to see how things go in the coming days. Some kind of rebound may still be in the picture.

But I tapered *really* slowly because I've been on the benzos for so long--since 2000!

For reference purposes, my highest dose was 5mg/day. But that was back in 2009. For the last few years I was on 3mg/day. About a year ago (when I went to the psych hospital), they dropped me to 2mg/day. That was when I started my taper. The taper just involved one very small dose decrement each month. I never wanted to rock the boat with my supply, so I didn't ask to get switched to another benzo like diazepam, which would have made the decreases easier to measure and to handle. But I found that a sharp knife and the law of averages worked in my favor, and I was able to work my dose down without too much trouble.

Thankfully I never felt psychologically dependent on my benzos, so tapering was just a matter of what I could handle physically. Actually, my main reason for weaning myself was so I could regain efficacy from them on a prn basis...for me they were most helpful early on, when I would just take them if anxiety got really gnarly...~twice a week. The daily use kind of ruined that for me, and I'm thinking that after a while of being off them, maybe I could go back to that.

Anyway, this isn't a huge deal. As I mentioned, I never fell in love with benzos or anything. It also wasn't medically supervised, so please don't use my experience as any kind of template for your own tapers. Just thought I'd mention that I think this long project is done.

Makes perfect sense to me, DF. And I guess something about the album clicked for you?

My equivalent record is like a self-contained, magical, tiny world--the music and lyrics are unlike any other record I know of. It was all too perfect for locking my door and tuning out the universe.

I just got back from taking my dog to the vet. He's been sick for about a week. I know this probably doesn't sound like much of an issue, but it's got me all wound up. My dog is about 5 years old, and I've had him since he was 8 weeks old. He's the light of my life. I got him during my heroin addiction, and somehow I've always projected lots of emotions onto him. He's so sweet and innocent. Gentle and kind. When I was really spiraling in my addiction, he was one of the few bright spots in my life.

As I mentioned earlier, he's been sick for about a week. It started when he found my NA keytags and chewed/ate them (bad dog!). He's been throwing up a lot since then and I'm terrified that he's got a GI obstruction.

The vet wasn't able to see an obstruction in his X-rays. So hopefully that's not it. But his stomach and guts are all inflamed. The doctor thinks he'll get better in another week or so on some meds she gave him. I sure hope so. We were up most of last night, and I'm just sick with worry. My poor little guy! :(

Anyway, I just needed to vent a bit. I get really upset when he's in pain.

It's so weird how overdetermined things become when you're in tough emotional straits (i.e. still climbing out from my addiction and depression). Somehow the mixture of his vulnerability, my NA talismans, and my own feelings of upheaval after leaving my town and career this summer are all conspiring to make this a surprisingly stressful event.

I am so sorry to hear about your dog, Sim. When our pets are sick it is the WORST. I am sure he will be okay. I am a dog groomer - and dogs eat WEIRD shit all the time. Brushes/little plastic pieces/the KENNEL BARS/paper... etc.... Inflammation is quite common. Keep him calm, and make sure he's not doing anything strenuous. I am sure he'll be tip top in no time :) though I am sorry you are going through that stress. I don't know what I would do if my pup got sick right now :(

it it sounds like you have quite a snowball of events. Though I'm confident you can navigate your way through them seamlessly. I am always here to listen should you just need an ear!

Thanks so much, TWP. I'm lolling around on my bed with the little guy right now. He's a little pokey, but he seems a bit better already.

I think part of why my mood tanked yesterday was rebound anxiety from quitting benzos. It's been six days since I tapered off clonazepam. It is going pretty well, but it's not too surprising that when I stopped my anxiety meds, my anxiety flared back up.

That and my quitting cannabis...I'm about to start a new job and I think they'll drug test me. So I had to quit weed too, until the test is done.

Sim, hope your poochie's feeling better :D

I couldn't help but think of the movie Airplane ("I picked the wrong week to give up..."). Starting a new job, pup's eating your medals, and you're quitting things! 8(

God bless you. Seriously though, congratulations and good luck!

I was also thinking of Leslie Neilson's "I picked the wrong week to give up..."! God that movie is hilarious.

Thanks, DF. I think the dog is on the mend...he seems more himself.

Actually, it's kind of interesting that he ate my NA keytags. Interesting because it happened right as I'm second-guessing/reconsidering my involvement with NA.

I mentioned earlier that my one-month job kept me away from meetings during July. I assumed that once I quit I'd go back to my usual ~3/weekly meeting attendance. But when I started going back, I just wan't feeling it at NA. The parts of NA that I like--the social outlet, the camaraderie, the ritual of the meeting format--just didn't seem evident to me any more (OK, meeting format is still the same). And the aspects of NA that I dislike--the dogma, the outdated assumptions, the cliques--were louder than ever. So after returning for a few meetings I just haven't been back. And now it's coming up on a month of not attending.

So when I lost those keytags, I was a little upset due to their sentimental value (one of my white tags was from CA from right after I left the hospital last year). But really it wasn't a big deal. They were just plastic keytags to me. And that surprised me.

It's all made me wonder if I've come to a point in recovery where I don't want to be involved with NA any more. I'll have to see what happens in the coming weeks. But with a new, full-time job coming my way, I would really have to be determined to attend meetings.

Courage dreamflyer, courage to you. Stay strong and remember you can only help those who want help. I'm sorry about your mom, I know that is hard to watch. When my mom was first diagnosed with cancer, she didn't want to fight it on her own terms. We kids accepted that it was her choice, and a couple weeks down the road she changed her mind, and started fighting it like she has fought everything else I've ever watched her face. Those first couple of weeks were scary though, we thought she had already given up. Your mom will get help on her own terms, and there is nothing us 'kids' can do (i'm in my 40's, but still her kid ;).

Take care of yourself, and good luck at the therapist's office!

Status
Not open for further replies.