• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Big and Dandy Loperamide Adddiction Thread

Taking too much of any physically dependent substance during w/d is bad, unless it's vitamins, amino acids, hydration or other non-addictive substances.

I took slightly over the recommended dose of Imodium (10mg) 3 times I think total during physical w/ds from bupe. I didn't get high from it, but it made me a tiny bit constipated for 24 hours and maybe helped with sleeping a bit.

200 pills of lope a day is insanity, might as well go back on real opiates if you need that much to feel ok, I would guess it would be better for your body overall.

Look, loperamide does get you high when you take a high dose on an empty stomach with 40 to 64oz of white grapefruit juice. You also have to wait 3 hours afterwords before you eat anything or you'll fuck up the high!!! When I say high dose I mean at least 70 pills (140mg) and with a high tolerance you would have to take between 120/150 pills to get high like when you take 200mg of methadone with a methadone tolerance. But it does work! I know because I am fucking addicted to it now and pissed off as hell because when I try to stop I am sicker then trying to stop fucking methadone!!! This shit sucks and the withdrawal is worse then methadone, especially on your stomach and digestive system. The opiate receptors in the gut are more addicted to this type of opiate, so the withdrawals are gut wrenching disastrous and you'll wish you were dead! I'm very slowly tapering down from 150 pills a day (300mg) to as of now 60 pills a day or 120mg but it took a couple weeks to get down this far. I'm still feeling withdrawals though so I have been stuck at 60 pills a day for almost a week now. I'm afraid that it could take months for me to finally get away from this loperamide for good but whatever it takes it will be good to finally stop taking it for good!
One thing about loperamide is that in higher doses is causes dangerous muscle relaxing like effects where you will have a hard time breathing, walking or even fully chewing when trying to eat. It can be pretty scary and I thought I possibly going to die when I felt this after taking 200 pills, so anything more then 150 pills with a high tolerance is suicide If you ask me. And taking 120 was a happy somewhat safe dose for me when I was really into it. After months of doing this 120 to 150 pills a day I just started feeling sick and kind of weak so I knew I needed to cut back and get off this nasty ass loperamide, there is no way this shit is healthy on your body and who knows what the long term negative consequences will be to my health, If any? Ive been struggling with opiate addiction for 17 years though and at the time I started using loperamide I thought it was a viable option to methadone but now I know methadone would be a much better choice and much less unhealthy on the body then shitty ass loperamide with grapefruit juice!
Also, I take a prescription stool softener with an all natural over the counter laxative/stool softener which is a must while taking loperamide at high doses otherwise you'll get so backed up you'll put yourself in the hospital.

^ever think about suboxone or kratom or poppy tea? poppy tea is not bad for maintenance, kind of like a super long acting morphine, almost like methadone but not as strong.

i'd use kratom to get off immodium. I'm currently going to use immodium to get off kratom but kratom has better effects than immodium. I don't like the immodium high really, it keeps me out of withdrawal and i generally don't try to get high from it. With kratom you'll feel a high and will be dependent but it's certainly has a long history of use, creates far less of a dependence and addiction. It also doesn't cost too much.

^ever think about suboxone or kratom or poppy tea? poppy tea is not bad for maintenance, kind of like a super long acting morphine, almost like methadone but not as strong.

i'd use kratom to get off immodium. I'm currently going to use immodium to get off kratom but kratom has better effects than immodium. I don't like the immodium high really, it keeps me out of withdrawal and i generally don't try to get high from it. With kratom you'll feel a high and will be dependent but it's certainly has a long history of use, creates far less of a dependence and addiction. It also doesn't cost too much.

I never tried kratom before and never heard of this until you just mentioned it here. Maybe I'll give it shot though? I just wish I could get a legitimate prescription for my methadone so I wouldn't have to keep relapsing on opiates and then just be able to move on with the rest of my life already! I'm currently on a waiting list for a the methadone maintenance program but its a 25 minute ride from where I live so its not going to be very convenient to drive there and back almost everyday. If I knew for sure that loperamide wasn't any more unhealthy then any other opiate or methadone Id just keep taking but I just don't know what the long term negative consequences might be on my health and thats a little scary for me. I do feel much better now that I have cut back on how many I take everyday and I still sometimes take 80/100 pills but only a couple times a week do I do this and the rest of the week its 60 pills a day.

For the first time today I have tried taking my prescribed Lomotil to see if I could get a high from it. I followed the steps that another person posted in how they tried this. My experience so far is that I took to start 7 lomotil pills and hour and 15 minutes later I took 8. I am feeling the tingling feeling I get when I take something like a oxy 15. Its lasting a while which is good. I am not sure if I can considerate it a "high" but I am liking the feeling ;) Does anyone have any advice on taking lomotil in high doses and if I were to take more would I get the "high" I am looking for??

Btw this is my first time posting here I just registered like 10 minutes ago.

Thank you

I don't want to freak you out or anything, but there was a guy on here like 4 years ago, and he had been taking loperamide at high doses and developed problems with his appendix (or some organ). Its quite possible that loperamide had absolutely nothing to do with his appendix, but he seemed convinced that it was the cause for some reason. You might want to search for that post.

Think about the constipation such a high amount of Lopermide causes and the lack of proper lubrication in the large intestine. Both those cause the appendix to become inflamed, then infected, and then causes it to go septic.

Not healthy at all.

God help if you get a fecal impaction from Lopermide. That can cause death.

Source to it equating to "a couple grams of oxy?" Sounds like made up numbers to me.

Loperamide is no more constipating than any other opiate. MANY here would vouch for that.

I would say Methadone is number one and Lopermide comes in second.

I am amazed after yesterday with the lomotil. I was able to go to the bathroom normally and I felt fine. Only thing I did not like was a headache. All in all it was worth it. ?

Ever do a speedball? Lope and ex lax?
sedulously though...I wonder what the long ter,m affects of it are? Any of the routine lope users having any problems from this other than constipation.

HHave you had a check up at all lately. I'm curious what kinda side effects high high doses of lope could do to someone who has taken them for years.[/QUOTE

Me too. I've read that lope's molecular structure is close to MPTP, or it breaks down into a similar compound in the body...Demerol, maybe...something not good. I doubt it's been studied as a drug of abuse since it's not meant to cross the BBB.

Help

I'm so glad i'm not the only scumbag who's dealing/dealt with this shit. I used to drink PST for a while until about one and a half months ago. My dosage of PST wasn't that high and was about 2 bags of Bob's Red Mill a day. Then i moved into a new house without seeds available close to me. I did what any addict does and looked up the cheapest and most convenient way to get an opiate high. That's when i encountered Loperamide. Sparing much of the details i've taken it almost every day sometimes every other day starting at about 50 mg's at first then working my way up to about 200 mg. The wake up call was after work one day i didn't feel like going out to grab any so i pretty much just slept into the night. I woke up and i realized it's my moms birthday and i promised to spend it with her. She was extremely upset as she should've, and i figured out it's time to stop fucking around. So i thought, oh this shouldn't be bad it's just an diarrhea meds. Researching it all day today has made me almost have a full blown panic attack. Two weeks of physical withdrawals? I'm really really scared guys, i've never had to experience withdrawals. What am I in for? I've tapered down to 160 mg today and i'm starting to feel sick, i'm not sure if it's from the tapering or the fact that i can't stop shaking out of fear for what's next. I'm debating coming clean to my mother still being 20 and relatively young. I have a job in which i can't miss that involves physical labor. I've never felt so alone in my life. What will this next week or so be like for me?

tapered down to 100mg guys. it's been slightly difficult at times but a lot better than i expected. the worst part of it was being disgusted at the thought of taking them and wanting to go cold turkey. couldn't last 30 hours without panic attacks, cold sweats, aches, and depression. just a battle of will though, and so far i'm winning. i hope the folks who have/had a similar story of mine were able to make it through. it's just not worth the damage it does to your body.

I registered to echo the OP's experience, and through relating to others who know the hell of loperamide addiction, break free of it. I started taking high doses of loperamide for pain relief, and to treat social anxiety, which unfortunately it did, very, very well. I started taking 100mg every few days, because initially the benefits lasted for about 3 days. I have progressed to taking 192-288mg every other day, a dose range I've not changed for the past nine months. From month 2, I noticed onset of WD within 24 hours, and subsequently have made countless attempts to stop, my best attempt being 6 days, the worst 6 days of my life, but the RLS always makes me perpetuate the cycle - on day 6 I had slept just a few hours since day one, and the RLS peaked, prompting relapse. If not for that, I think it'd be possible, but it's so severe I begin to wish for death. The classic opi WD symptoms are there but the RLS is absolutely unfathomable - it's as if every atom in my legs is on fire and trying to escape a torture chamber, and even that fails to describe it adequately. It eventually breaks me down, at about day 3, to a hopeless man who'd kill - literally - for a moment of comfort - and I've always been a very strong willed person with excellent control over my mental status. Ergo, I take more lope feeling that the comfort brought on by it is the solution, only to be right back, legs in absolute hell, about 24-36 hrs later... then, repeat... God, I can't take the cycle any more. I have never had a prior physical addiction and thus never experienced WD, but I can imagine no worse than loperamide's... and it's all because of the RLS.

minjarvis, CasketLottery, et al - I have such empathy for you and those of us in this hell... it means a great deal to me. Respect, my friends. Massive respect.

Last edited:
I've obtained a "high" from lope before, but something about it just doesn't feel kosher. Very sedating and dries out your mouth like a bitch. Not something I'd use recreationally but good for unexpected anxiety attacks or stomach troubles.

People who take upwards of 50 pills per day...wtf. Can't imagine how damaging that could be. Here's a quote from an archived BL thread:

tread very carefully as there is evidence that loperamide can form the kind of not fun substances related to MPTP and MPP+ and the reason it doesn't cause problems is it is poor at crossing the BBB. if say the hydroxy was acetylated then that would be good leaving group and you would have a substance that contains the N substituted phenyl tetrahydropyridine structure. bad news.

Don't know if that's been debunked, but something to keep in mind.

Kratom or low-dose DXM might be helpful alternatives for quitting opiates. Passionflower is also good.

Eagle, Id like to see just 3 or 4 people tell me that lope actually fixed the problem and didnt just delay going back to the original drug of choice or...just trade one addiction for another. I found this happening really quick with kratom as I not only couldnt get off my tramadol, but was also craving the buzz of kratom. I stopped that kratom on a dime!

Im afraid to even mess with lope now because just one pill stops me up regardless of how bad my diarrhea is. When I tried like 10 or 20 tabs at the urging of some guy on you tube, i couldnt even go for 48 hrs with just one dose and it did nothing to curb my cravings and side effects. If I knew it would work, i would consider fasting for a week if lope could get me off tramadol which is more horror than any other drug ive messed with including percocet and cocaine, years past.

Now im a littlle nervous because the tramadol dries you up spo bad inside you get constipation every day that when i took milk of magnesia and that didnt work to make me go, and then tried 3 doses of ex lax over 8 hrs, all of a sudden ive HAD A LOOSE STOMACH FOR ALMOST 48 HRS NOW. AND I TRIED 2 PILLS OF LOPE WHICH I NEVER USED THAT MUCH IN MY LIFE. WHAT DO I DO IF THIS DIAREAH DOESNT GO AWAY IN ANOTHER DAY OR 2 and has anyone ever heard of LAXATIVES HURTING YOUR STOMACH OR KIDNEYS TO THE POINT THAT YU JUST CANT GO BACK TO NORMAL BOWEL MOVEMENTS EVEN AFTER CESSATION OF THE EX LAX OR MILK OF MAGNESIA?

Now that my body went into meltdown from just a triple dose of ex lax and a doule dose of milk of M., ID NEVER TRY THAT MUCH LOPE. IS THERE A BETTER WAY TO GET OFF OF TRAMADOL? IVE GONE THE SUBOXONE ROUTE AND IVE GONE THE REHAB ROUTE. BOTH WERE PURE HELL. iM ON TRAMS FOR OVER 3 YRS NOW. STARTED ON 2-3 PILLS DAILY AND NOW IM UP TO ABOUT 12-14 PILLS DAILY. I SPOKE TO MY PHARMACIST ABOUT IT AND ASKED IF ANYTHING BESIDES SUBOXONE HAS COME OUT TO GET OFF TRAMS AND HE SAID NO. So I said "so in other words i can be on this the rest of my life and it wouldnt kill me? he said yep, you just would have to keep an eye on the liver, but Ive not heard of trams causing bad liver damage before."

Do not be afraid to take massive doses of loperamide if u are very opioid tolerant. I have been in wds from a daily intake of 3 bags of tar and 250 mg oxy per day, and in the peak of withdrawals I have taken 300 mg loperamide with nothing else. No pgp inhibitors, grape fruit juice etc ( all do nothing by the way don't waste ur time with these to potentate lope to cross the Bbb- waste of money). The 300 mg had me withdrawal free for 16 hrs after the initial onset of the loperamide which took roughly 2 hrs to kick in. Wds 100% gone. Mental craving still there but totally manageable. I think even 100 mg lope is too low of a dose even being 50 pills. Someone who takes less than say 100 mg oxy per day or about a bag of tar might feel relief from 100 mg lope however. Peace

Hoping I'm not missing the answer to my question in here somewhere :/. However; I have been on/off opiates for a few years now. Sometime around May of 2013 thanks to BL I discovered the use of Lope to aid in wd. Which has made my life SO much better. While I've not totally gone off opiates forever (yet). I was able to successfully stop with very little wd issues many times. The longest of which was 7 weeks and I still don't know exactly why I decided to just up and go back. It had nothing to do with lack of effectiveness of loperimide for sure just mentally missing the euphoria most likely. I am here again at my stopping point and I was hoping someone would be able to tell me if liquid immodium is as or more effective as the caplets? It seems like it'd be easier to ingest etc. in large amounts. For those questioning it's validity just try it for yourself. I didn't think it would do anything either and was elated when an hour and approx 80 mgs later my wd symptoms literally disappeared slowly. I took them for about 5-6 days and every day took a little less than the day before. By the end of that week the worst of my wd had passed and besides the mental cravings I was perfectly fine. Good luck to all of you in hopes of sobriety! If anyone has any other suggestions please message me!