• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Big and Dandy Loperamide Adddiction Thread

Sorry to sidetrack here, but does anybody know if bupe will block the effects of lope. I'll be reducing my bupe, and when it gets really uncomfortable, I'm kinda hoping I can get some relief from this unique drug. (I also have tramadol, but I'd prefer to use lope).

Also, I've read almost overwhelming reports of how lope can reduce opiate WD; too many to many too discount as mere placebo. Besides, if you're withdrawing from say heroin, for example, I really doubt a placebo is gonna help that kind of pain. Any brains out there who could shed some light on why lope is helping people, considering the BBB and all?

I came off 120mg a day methadone habit using 120 mg or 60 pills of lope a day. The problem is now three months later im still using the lope. Im worried what this may do to my body. Has anyone elese used high doses for long periods?

Im starting a taper tomorrow. Im going to try to take 1 pill out per day. That should take 60 days. Ill try to post often about my results. Im presently doing 120mg or more a day of lope mixed with cimitidine and white grapefruit juice.

I used lope to get off methadone and it worked but now 3 months later im still using 120mg of lope a day sometimes twice a day and cant stop without bad withdrawal. Im going to start a tapper tomorrow. 1 pill less a day, should take 60 days. Has anyone had any luck getting free of lopermide after heavy longterm use? I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

Gibberish, I'm sorry. You are not alone my friend. Many, many, many people carry them to "that" almost sacred rite. These creatures were definitely stronger and faster than you and I, my friend. That said they will most likely wind up taking us 2 at a 2OH SHIT, I ACTUALLY NODDED OUT ON THE COMPUTER. I APPOLOGIZE TO YOU ALL. HAVE A GREAT NIGHT..

Last edited:
Gibberish, I'm sorry. You are not alone my friend. Many, many, many people carry them to "that" almost sacred rite. These creatures were definitely stronger and faster than you and I, my friend. That said they will most likely wind up taking us 2 at a 2OH SHIT, I ACTUALLY NODDED OUT ON THE COMPUTER. I APPOLOGIZE TO YOU ALL. HAVE A GREAT NIGHT..

I can't make any sense of that or what you had written before the edit.

Huh?

I know, im worried because thier isnt any studies on longterm mega dosing that I know of. Like I said I'm tappering but my tolerance keeps rising and its hard not to want to dose higher. Id really appreciate any advice from anyone who has been through this. Thanks

^^^

The pharmacy people must think you have a horrible stomach condition buying all that loperamide... Ha.

I get the big 360ct generic at sams. Its like half the price of the generic 72ct at Walmart. But your right, they probably do..lol.

Hey guys, I've been addicted to Loperamide for over a year. I currently take 160mg a day (80mg morning and night). I have tapered this down from nearly 240mgs/day in the past two months. My biggest mistake was continuing to supplement my lope habit with Heroin for the first 12 months, causing my tolerance to loperamide to increase. I have been an opiate addict for 3.5 yrs, from Heroin to subs to lope. Right now, I would ideally like to taper my habit at 2mg/day until I get down to a miniscule amount, but I'm hitting some roadblocks. Namely that the Loperamide doesn't always work, delaying my ability to taper.
I can't be sure of the reason I'm still experiencing mild to moderate withdrawal symptoms even after taking the same dose of lope for 5 days now, but this happens every few weeks. I think it is either 1) because I am tapering too quickly, or 2) rooted in the absorption of the drug itself in the intestinal tract. The reason I postulate that the second could be responsible is because it seems logical to me that if a person is inhibiting peristalsis, then the loperamide might not hit the receptors it needs to, ie it might get stuck in a spot where there are no receptors or those receptors aren't working. I don't know much about the receptors in the GI tract. I don't know if they line the entirety of the intestines, or if they are located in specific areas, or if they can become overwhelmed and not absorb opiates as they should, but one thing I know is that my ability to feel the effects of the drug can be affected by the state of my bowels. I guess that sounds crazy, maybe I'm just imagining it, I don't know how much of the drug's action is based in the GI tract or if the tiny amount that gets through the bbb is more responsible for its effects.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. If any one here has tapered off lope successfully, did you experience periods where the drug was ineffective, and did changing the amount you tapered down help if so. I'm at a loss here. I don't know if this drug just doesn't work for me anymore, and I'm afraid to go cold turkey because I work full time and I have a 6 yr old. Really don't want to go back on subs.

Hi ophelia b, im in a very similar situation. Im used to doing 120mg sometimes twice a day. I used it to come off methadone successfully. Im also trying to taper but have experienced the exact same problem. Ive been really sick the last couple of days, but I used laxatives and finally got my system cleaned and am starting to feel better.do you also have constipation problems? I went for awhile using high doses of lope and had no problems, but lately its been more of a problem. Im back to my normal lope dose and am going to try again to tapper once more. Its so frustrating. Sometimes I feel it fine and then sometimes ill go a couple of days feeling like im starting to withdrawal so I take more lope and the cycle continues. It's good to hear from someone who understands what this is like. Although I wouldn't wish this on anyone and hope you can break free easier than it seems its going to be for me. I hope you keep posting your progress.

I have had to stop my tapper because I got sick. Im doing some what better now, but I had to go back to my original dose of 120mg. I am so frustrated. Im always in mild withdrawal anymore. It seems that the lope is not working like it did, or my tolerance has risen. I refuse to go any higher on the dosage but im so tired of feeling like crap. Im suck in loperamide purgatory. I would love to hear from anyone who has successfully tapperd from lope, or anyone still trying.

I read probably 75 posts from 2 or 3 threads on loperamide. I decided to post my experience with this drug. In 2003 I was addicted to opiates and decided to quit (again). While researching what helps, what to expect, etc. during withdrawals (again) I came across a blog touting the benefits of using loperamide for the symptoms. The writer used the term "over the counter methadone". Here it is 5 years later and I have gone back and forth from rx opiates to Loperamide. This is embarassing, virtually impossible to get help for - no professionals have ever heard of or believe it - and for me, has been impossible to kick - due in part to it's price (one writer said $15.99 for 196 pills - the warehouses carry it even cheaper - and the fact that for me, the symptoms of wd are closer to methadone than hydro, etc. I don't know about the blood brain barrier and all that chemistry stuff (I've read it, but it's Greek to me). All I know is I do take ALOT of pills anywhere from 20 to almost 100 daily and occasionally have taken more. I've never done heroin, so I don't know if it's like that, but for me, it is similar to the painkillers I abuse. That is how bad my addiction is.

Moderator Note: In the past, we have has issues with loperamide threads. Any form of doucebaggory and flaming will get you warned, and eventually banned. I have unapproved a few posts in here, so consider this your warning. This is a harm reduction site, and we should try and help eachother out as productively as possible.

I was in the same boat as you for the last few years. I am 18 months clean from everything now, but it was fucking hard to get there. Loperamide, a lot of people didn't take it seriously around here last time I was around these parts, but they're all wrong. It is fucking addictive, without a doubt, and the withdrawals are intense. At my peak, I was taking 200 tablets a day, or 400mg, to keep the withdrawals from heroin at bay. I did this for close to 3 years. When it came time to get clean for real, it was a nightmare.

I went to an inpatient rehab, and like you said, the doctors think you're out of your mind when you tell them you are withdrawing from Imodium. They refused to give me Suboxone to detox with because they didn't believe I was really sick. I went through 4 days of extreme pain, sleepless nights, and vomiting and shitting like crazy. On the morning of the 5th day, I went to see the doc for my usual morning checkup. I could barely stand up straight. I could barely talk because it took too much energy. He took my blood pressure and I was 77/40. He finally believed me. Put me on 4mg of Suboxone that day.

24 hours later, I was already feeling much better (though "much better" is relative to how incredibly horrible I was feeling before). I took 2mg of Suboxone that day, 2mg the next, and then stopped. I have been clean ever since.

When I first discovered that loperamide worked, literally like an OTC methadone, it was a god-send. I had been having trouble finding Suboxone at that time and did not want to detox at home. I started with maybe 30 pills a day at that time. I could have, and should have, tapered down from there, but I went up instead (the thing about loperamide is it takes a really long time to build a tolerance, if at all; I kept increasing the dose because I actually started to like the way it made me feel. It wasn't a high, but it was nice none-the-less). For three years, I took loperamide every single day. I also did heroin on top of it for periods of time. I'm starting to ramble on, so I'll get to the point: loperamide can help with withdrawals, but it's just as risky as Suboxone or Methadone if your not careful.

Oh, and as for the comments saying "I bet you never shit!" - No, that's not true, at least not for me. In the beginning of my use, it blocked me up, but every couple days I'd "get it all out" so to speak. After a while though, you become so accustomed to it that you start shitting almost on a daily basis. That's not as often as it should be, but it wasn't what a lot of you seem to expect.

I can take 200 pills of loperamide in 2 swallows. They are tiny and the wax coated ones go down easy. Brand name Imodium and any generic that has the cotton in the bottle (pills not coated in wax) dissolve as soon as water touches them and they taste horrible. Those, I can only do about 15 at a time. I stuck with the waxy ones.