• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Big and Dandy Loperamide Adddiction Thread

Yeah that's probably good advice, though if lope truly has a blocking effect at chronic monster dosages, then a taper would most likely need to be set in place first.

Also, as for the warning, it definately is referring to the small ammounts that can cross over the BBB. I read young children are especially sensitive to the effects of loperamide as they are still developing. I've used loperamide several times at relatively high dosages (48mg, 120mg) and can say for certain that I definately did experience some CNS effects. Definately not full on euphoric bliss, but a noticeable sense of feeling content and calm. I used it in place of my usual dose of methadone (40 mg) which I had not taken in two days and it more than kept me straight. Though the half life is significantly shorter than methadone or buprenorphine, for some reason it seems to hold me for a longer period of time.

What I'm truly interested in is the cause for the blocking effect that I've heard reported by so many who use high dosages of loperamide for maintenance. I wonder if this is caused by a high affinity to opiate receptors like buprenorphine, or whether it has to do with tolerance and saturation of the receptors (like methadone). I've researched the stuff a bit, and keep coming up with different answers regarding loperamides potency, we're it able to completely cross the BBB. Some claim that it's actually a very weak opioid similar to Codiene (something I cannot believe due to my owne experiences with it), while others claim that it is incredibly potent.

On the comment about the Lope only having a 10-12 hour half life... This is what I thought as well (according to all the web sites)... until yesterday (I've been quitting a almost 2 year long 400mg Lope habit a day). I always wondered why Lope would hold me for 24 hours or more if it only has an average of 10hr half life? Anyone else get that? Here's how I KNOW that it has a SIGNIFICANTLY LONGER half life... for me, it was very similar in dosing to my year of Suboxone maintenence.

Anyway, I waited over 72 hours since my last Loperamide dose and figured I was 100% in the clear of precip. Well I was wrong and for the first time in all 5 of my opiate using years, I TRUELY precitipated withdrawal like nothing I've ever felt before. Now, back in the day, I had "very mild" precipitation when crossing over from heroin to bupe... BUT NOTHING LIKE THIS. I've never seen that much sweat come out of my body so fast. It only lasted horribly for about 30 min then slowly dissapated. I took 4MG of Xanax and went crazy. My wife said I was hallucenating and she video taped me on her phone for about 10 minutes of it. I hallucenated for 4 hours she said. I remember NONE of it. I watched the video and I dont remember ANYTHING. I thought I was sleeping the whole time. WTF happened? Basically I was in Lope WD, took 4mg of Suboxone then started to Precipitate about 15 min after. Sat there wishing I was dead for 20 min... finally took the 4mg xanax, then I just went crazy. I was talking to objects and I thought they were people. I would carry on weird convos with them that didn't really make sense. I should post the video... I'm still in disbelief.

ok so as of this moment im down to 120mg of lope a day down from 144mg. i still cant find any information anywhere as to how long WD from loperamide will last and need to know this before taking ibogaine so i dont waste a few hundred dollars (i plan to switch from lope to oxy 40's and norco 10's this coming month or in november but need to know how long it will be before the lope is out of my system and replaced by shorter acting opi's) so has anyone managed to get off lope yet and if so how long did it take for WD to subside? i shit mostly fine thanks to liquid magnesium so thats not really an issue but i absolutely need to know specificly how long its going to take for the lope to be out of my system entirely PLEASE SOMEONE ANSWERE THIS! thanks

On the comment about the Lope only having a 10-12 hour half life... This is what I thought as well (according to all the web sites)... until yesterday (I've been quitting a almost 2 year long 400mg Lope habit a day). I always wondered why Lope would hold me for 24 hours or more if it only has an average of 10hr half life? Anyone else get that? Here's how I KNOW that it has a SIGNIFICANTLY LONGER half life... for me, it was very similar in dosing to my year of Suboxone maintenence.

Anyway, I waited over 72 hours since my last Loperamide dose and figured I was 100% in the clear of precip. Well I was wrong and for the first time in all 5 of my opiate using years, I TRUELY precitipated withdrawal like nothing I've ever felt before. Now, back in the day, I had "very mild" precipitation when crossing over from heroin to bupe... BUT NOTHING LIKE THIS. I've never seen that much sweat come out of my body so fast. It only lasted horribly for about 30 min then slowly dissapated. I took 4MG of Xanax and went crazy. My wife said I was hallucenating and she video taped me on her phone for about 10 minutes of it. I hallucenated for 4 hours she said. I remember NONE of it. I watched the video and I dont remember ANYTHING. I thought I was sleeping the whole time. WTF happened? Basically I was in Lope WD, took 4mg of Suboxone then started to Precipitate about 15 min after. Sat there wishing I was dead for 20 min... finally took the 4mg xanax, then I just went crazy. I was talking to objects and I thought they were people. I would carry on weird convos with them that didn't really make sense. I should post the video... I'm still in disbelief.

I imagine that the reason you went through this is due to both the high dosage you were taking, as well as the lengthy ammount of time you were taking it. I agree that it does seem to hold me at least, as long as bupe, but then again, Ive only dosed a couple of times and usually above 80mg.

Just wanted to update, and add some info.

So it's been about a year now, and I'm still on the lope. For a while there I actually bumped up to 192 pills per dose, but now I'm back down. I started taking Welbutrin a month ago and noticed it has been very helpful in lowering my lope dose. I dropped back down to my old 144 pill dose, and lately I've actually been taking 132 pills. Still dosing every 2 days btw. For a while there I was dosing every 36 hours, but again, after starting on Welbutrin (and quitting Celexa), it's somehow helped a lot with the lope habit, so I'm back to dosing every 48+ hours.

One thing I really, really want to make clear is how completely unlike all other opiates the loperamide is, in that it since starting it, my life has only gotten BETTER. In fact, the lope has allowed me to completely erase all the damage done from my opiate addiction, and for the past few months, my life has actually been better than its been in at least 5 years (before ever starting opiates). I really feel like Loperamide is a miracle cure for opiate addiction. I literally mean that - it's a miracle cure. I genuinely believe this stuff has saved my life. The beauty of the lope is that it completely eliminates your cravings for opiates, without providing a high that I would call enjoyable. The lack of euphoria is enough that, over time, you stop having interest in opiates entirely. It's like you start to forget about them. And since the process of swallowing hundreds of pills is so disgusting and vile, it actually reprograms you to think that dosing is a BAD thing. So no longer do you have a fetish about dosing, like you would if you snorted, smoked, or IV'd a drug; rather, you learn to dread having to re-dose.

I don't know, I just really want you guys to know how amazing this drug has been for me. Don't get me wrong, it's NOT an instant, overnight fix for opiate addiction. But if you stick with it, it WILL eventually help you a great deal. It took roughly 18 months on the loperamide before I stopped thinking about opiates. Until then, I had to actively avoid them, and if someone offered some, I would have relapsed on the spot. But today, I can honestly say, if someone offered me opiates (which they actually have), I have and still would decline. I no longer crave or think about opiates in any way shape or form. It's just me and the Lope now. And while technically it's an opiate, everything about it is just so different... Man I wish I could make you guys understand.

I guess I already said it best - this stuff has genuinely saved my life. I can't even describe how good my life is now. I never thought I could be like this; so completely free from the clutches of opiate addiction. If any of you are trying to cure your opiate addiction, give Loperamide a shot. And I DO mean "cure," I don't mean simply getting clean. Getting clean, to me, means going to meetings and having sponsors and having to actively keep yourself from relapsing on a day to day basis... I've tried that game before, several times; it just flat out hasn't worked for me. Because honestly, I'd rather be a junkie than spend my life pathetically trying to keep from relapsing, every hour of every day. Thankfully, none of that is a concern anymore; this loperamide shit has made it so I never ever never crave or think about opiates, at all. Even if I run out of lope, and the days go by, and I start to withdrawal, it's SO much different from regular opiate addiction... It's just, I don't know. You'll have to experience it for yourself. It feels like running out of any other regular psychiatric med, NOT a drug.

Anyway, sorry for the long, rambling post. It's 3am and I'm falling asleep right now... I just want to try and pound this stuff in your brains - Loperamide WORKS, and it'll save your life. The worst part about it? You won't be able to get high on opiates anymore. It totally kills that. I'd honestly like to get high at least ONCE a year, maybe on my birthday, or on New Years... But the Lope somehow blocks or kills that, because opiates no longer have an effect on me, in any dose. I literally turn them down when they're offered because all I'd be doing is wasting them; they're like a placebo to me now. So yeah, that's the worst part about Lope - forced sobriety. It's okay though, it just forces you to keep from fucking up. I'd take my present-day life over getting high ANY day :)

That is actually quite frightening if the lope fucks up your tolerance or whatever up in a way that opiates simply do not affect you. What about emergencies and other situations where you are going to need good pain control? No doctor is going to have a clue how to work with that. That's the downside.

Why are people SO naive! STOP posting "you haven't taken a shit in years" etc. Loperamide is JUST like any other opiate, chosen to be OTC because it's hard to abuse but JUST LIKE ANY OTHER OPIATE it makes you constipated thus an OXY would help you not shit too but Loperamide is made OTC to remedy this because it's an opiate! People are stupid!

To OP: Try Suboxone.

Why are people SO naive! STOP posting "you haven't taken a shit in years" etc. Loperamide is JUST like any other opiate, chosen to be OTC because it's hard to abuse but JUST LIKE ANY OTHER OPIATE it makes you constipated thus an OXY would help you not shit too but Loperamide is made OTC to remedy this because it's an opiate! People are stupid!

To OP: Try Suboxone.

Or maybe you are stupid? :) You see, loperamide hardly crosses BBB, therefore doses that are CNS active (high doses) still have a full effect on the intestines. Equivalent of taking couple grams of oxy. In chronic use the intestine receptors are likely to produce more tolerance vs. CNS receptors, therefore the constipation should be somewhat under control.

Anyone who says its bs needs to do some research. Lope does cross the bbb but is immediately pumped back out but when high doses are taken enough builds up to have full effect ive done it a million times and am using it right now to get through residual wds and i find it helps with cravings quite a bit so before u dismiss it give it a shot becuase its a life saver in my opinion it stops wds completely and i was on heroin for almost 6 years so if ir sick and need relief or wanna get clean it can be a very useful tool amd i think is a much better option then methadone and bupe. Hope i cleared shit up for someome and goodluck to ne one trying to get clean cuz its the best thing u can ever do.

And yeah like others are saying the lope wds can be scary for sure always taper off but if used wisely it can help

So I'm about to kick a year long 50mg methadone habit. I have used lope effectively but was wondering how I should taper the lope. It wont be hard since it doesn;t give me any high, just eliminates w/d. So when I taper the lope slowly will I just have to deal with minor flu like symptoms sense the lope only attaches to the receptors in the gut and not the brain? Or will it just pro long the methadone w/d. I want to say it shouldn't because lope isn't filling up all the receptors in the brain. Has anyone here successfully kicked opiates by tapering with lope??? Thanks guys!

@CitioKid, Any luck, or are you still on the lope?

I've been fighting with the same thing for almost the past year. From hydrocodone->bupe->lope.

I tapered my lope successfully over the past 90 days or so down to only 16mg daily, which is only 4x2mg AM and 4x2mg PM. Thursday morning was my last, as I'm trying to jump off where I am because I'm just so sick of it.

It's Monday morning now and the worst of it just hit me yesterday (Sunday).

Friday I was fine, Saturday somewhat like ASS, yesterday unbearable and today is pretty much the same.

Can somebody with some experience with half-lives tell me what I'm in for timeline wise from here? My amateur guess would be that tomorrow I'll already be on the decline from my WDs, but if I'm not, I may try and taper down some more.

Hey man, I've been taking 160mg 80x2 every day for a year and am now trying to kick it with subs.
In any event, you (were) just taking 4 x2 a day and you're still going through killer wds?
uhg.

when you use it for withdrawal, i wouldnt take more than 24mg. any more than that and youre probably going to make things worse. and 24mg is A LOT.

im a month and a half clean from suboxone and i take 2-4 loperamide tabs every two or three days... if i dont i still have the shits and sweats...

Hi everyone, new member here. Just want to say that this site has been a MASSIVE help in many areas of my life, and for that I'm quite thankful.

To the point: I've been using about 20mg of Lope roughly every other day (sometimes daily) for the past few weeks to subdue my WD symptoms while I kick a nasty Norco habit. It's been a lifesaver, but I do feel that I'm slowly starting to become somewhat dependent on it, which led me to decide to start tapering off a bit. I took my last 20mg (10 pills) the day before yesterday, and today I've whittled it down to 16mg (8 pills).

My question is: is it even necessary for me to continue to taper down to a low dose like 4mg before I jump off? I see some people here have a much larger habit than I do, and there seems to be mixed results. Will I still have WD symptoms if I just go cold turkey?

Any help would be much appreciated. Good luck to everyone.

Niko

I was addicted to lope myself. I used to take around 150 mg at a time. I started off on opiates like norco for my pain relief after surgery. I withdrew from then for four days then started on lope after reading about it. Started at 40 mg then eventually went up. Tried to quit that and I did but got really tired everyday and depressed. My doc put me on suboxone and am currently 2 weeks into it at 12 mg. I guess my point is you do have withdrawal from lope, the very same as any other opiate. It will take months to get really "off". I have never even done it. They are right that it is entirely physical, but after years of abuse your bound to have mental affects. If you've been off that long I commend you, stay strong and fight it, What is the problem you are really having?

Hey guys, it's me optimum000 I forgot my old password and email address but its the same person from 3 years ago. A lot had been discussed since I last posted here and people are starting to realize that loperamide can and will in fact cause physical withdrawal symptoms. I can't say I've been a saint since last time I posted here but three years back I had a pretty nasty loperamide addiction and still do. It's not as bad as it used to be but still if you want to get off this stuff the best bet is to just do it. My daily intake for the past 6 months or so has been 144 pills a day which I recently just started trying to ween myself off of. Three days ago I decided to try it cold turkey and if it wasn't for work id say I would of done it. I took only 70 really early this morning and while the withdrawals aren't gone they are bearable and this is beatable ladies and gents just have to be strong. I know it's fucking tough though this particular opiate has a long half life so the worst part of the physical symptoms last for I'd say 7-10 days depending on your usage and dosage I mean for me I've been doing this shit for 3 straight years so maybe cold turkey isn't the best option health wise if your me a taper would be best I would guess? But just thought I'd weigh in on this thread it's been awhile and I'm still fighting the fight ....I plan on taking off of work for the next 2 in a half weeks to prepare myself for this once and for all.....but I thought I'd mention I also used to be addicted to heroin insuffalated and Vic 10's about 15 a day ....and when I started with. Loperamide I had no desire to do any of it anymore its been 3 years and I've been clean from both except for the lope which I'm trying to kick now ....which mentally is a lot easier but physically harder then any other withdrawal I've encountered probably due to the long half life it's still doable though when I was getting off the other shit 3 days ago it was a lot more vicious than anything else but lasted not as long as this ......so in summary I do feel that loperamide could be used as a great opioid replacement therapy BUT only if used in lower dosage amounts from 48 2mg pills and under and not for an extended period of time.

Or maybe you are stupid? :) You see, loperamide hardly crosses BBB, therefore doses that are CNS active (high doses) still have a full effect on the intestines. Equivalent of taking couple grams of oxy. In chronic use the intestine receptors are likely to produce more tolerance vs. CNS receptors, therefore the constipation should be somewhat under control.

Source to it equating to "a couple grams of oxy?" Sounds like made up numbers to me.

Loperamide is no more constipating than any other opiate. MANY here would vouch for that.

jesus that's a lot of lope optimum. ive experienced withdrawal like that. you really, REALLY need to taper down unless you think you can actually handle that. i feel for you man, i really do.

perhaps consider switching to tramadol or something, at least to get that lope dose down.