• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Big and Dandy Loperamide Adddiction Thread

It does, and so does suboxone actually, but I think it prolongs them a much lesser extent. Methadone is known to be relatively safe unless you are on an extremely high dose (150mg+). As far as cardio-toxic effects go.

High dose loperamide is really just uncharted territory. If that user could get on a methadone program, at least they will be supervised by a doctor. I think I remember reading that part of most methadone programs actually includes regular EKG screens to monitor for issues like prolonged Q-T intervals, and they tend to only show up when a person is on a really really high dose of methadone.

I think in the mean time, rather then continuing the high dose lope, if they could manage to find a methadone program or something, it would be much safer for the mean time.

When I was on methadone (11 months), we were given a sheet for an EKG to check for QT elongation every 3 months. Suboxone, they have not told me anything about it being bad for the heart. With Suboxone, it's liver enzyme blood test every 3 months, some people, 2 girls I met in the waiting room at the ORT clinic at my six-weekly appoitnments told me they had liver problems from it, one so bad, her liver was extremely swollen and the professional ORT doctor had to be called because the ER doctors didn't know what to do, Suboxone has barely been available since 5 years up north. Suboxone's only side effect for me aside from constipation requiring sodium docusate 200mg twice a day and alternation between senessoside pills and Proethylene Glycol (Relaxa), a powder with a cup inside with the exact dose of 37g to put in a glass of something. Gotta alternate with "expulsion" meds because your guts can get addicted to their effect. I'm already addicted to benzos and less and less by bupe (getting there), so the only real thing I gotta complain about is the Suboxone pill in Canada has lemon and lime extracts in it, it is white, not Orange like the US pills, they're extremely acidic. I had 3 cavities in my life, which were taken care of, 3 years of suboxone and I go to then dentist because a front teeth of mine has a hole in it, not all the way through, but at the base. Bam, 23 cavities. I always was said to have perfect teeth, one thing on my body that I was satisfied with, my mom telling me to smile more blah blah you know, that's a decade+ ago for me, but I remember. My insurance only covers white fillings in the front teeth, and even then, lower pre-molars do not count. All my lower teeth have metal in them now, hooray for neurotoxic "silver" fillings. Dentists must be the job where most kill themselves because of when they remove an amalgam filling, their brains take a hit everytime from the mercury vapours. I'm in a shitty mood today, only have my rx benzos, and I do not like to take them, they're my safety wheel, fucking mail system, fucking vendors who take your money and say we're frustrated too blah blah we'll send it to you in first class postage when we get it (been waiting a month now).

I better take 90mg of temazepam and go to bed, sundays are for doing nothing.

I've used high doses of Loperamide for Opiate withdrawal and it helped all symptoms except I was really tired and felt dehydrated. I literally have never drank so much water in my life then while using it. My question is, how long will Lope stay in system and show up on blood/urine test?

I plan to use Lope during my poppy tea withdrawal. I hope I don't end up here due to my addictive nature. I will not use enough to get high, just to ease withdrawal. Good Luck to everyone here. :)

I plan to use Lope during my poppy tea withdrawal. I hope I don't end up here due to my addictive nature. I will not use enough to get high, just to ease withdrawal. Good Luck to everyone here. :)
I should warn you, lope is cardiotoxic, and a different opioid should be used for your taper.

I've used high doses of Loperamide for Opiate withdrawal and it helped all symptoms except I was really tired and felt dehydrated. I literally have never drank so much water in my life then while using it. My question is, how long will Lope stay in system and show up on blood/urine test?

Sorry we cant answer drug testing questions.

Just stay under 10mg a day

Are u ok ? Who knew an anti diarrhea medicine could destroy so many lives.

I'm doing very well now, thank you. The mind is a peculiar thing. It seeks to rationalize even the most absurd acts. By maintaining a loperamide intake, surely I avoid the harms of a dangerous heroin addiction? My journey with loperamide began in late spring of 2013 at a lazy shore town with scarce resources that would be unable to fulfill my oxycodone habit. In a panic I plunged into the throws of the internet in order to seek out any solution to this dilemma. After sorting through threads not too dissimilar to this one, I discovered the chemical to take in which I would later wish for death. This town had a couple of pharmacies that stocked loperamide. I started at 40 milligrams which achieved the desired effect. Overwhelming relief washed over me. This would hold me over in the mean time! But the all too familiar fate of addiction invaded my life, and soon I would increase the dosage. 100 milligrams at first, then 200 not long after. Eventually in fall of 2013 I would take up to 400 milligrams. Complete deterioration ensued. My muscles degraded as if suffering from dystrophy while my stomach ballooned in shape. My skin was bluish-white and my pupils conquered my irises like a usurper. Tremendous dehydration forced me to drink high amounts of water and the constant urination brought a sharp sting in the abdomen. My extremities grew more numb each passing day, and I had no feeling in my feet. Any attempt at social gathering was futile. My sister pitied my physical and mental state so one night she invited me to go to a museum with her in the city. What resulted was near fainting after simply walking briskly to cross the road. I could not stand for long without my legs giving out, so attending concerts and bars had embarrassing outcomes. Several attempts at a taper would be promising in the beginning, followed by disillusionment and a return to taking more. In fear for my life, I went to a hospital in early 2014. My diagnosis baffled the doctors, and after telling half-truths they sent me to a drug rehabilitation center. Loperamide withdrawal was patient at first followed by a torture unbeknownst to common men. I kicked for two weeks without sleep after which I was transferred to a local psychiatric ward. Good-natured doctors declared me paranoid schizophrenic and prescribed me anti-psychotics. Shortly after, things would get much worse. After 45 days separated from loperamide, the klonopin was no match for the insidiousness of addiction and I was back to the pharmacy once more. In a matter of days I would begin to take the same dosage of Loperamide that nearly put me in the grave months prior. With my body and mind in sharp decline once again, it was summer of 2014 that I was carted around in road trips back to the shore town in which the unravelling began. I would pass out and wake up screaming several times in the two hour car ride. Doctors would later say that this was my heart collapsing and resuscitating in a matter of moments. Dangerous game indeed, but I did not know how to stop. Finally my parents grew wise, caught me in the act, and I had to be physically separated in what I hope is one last time. It was then that my journey truly began, but I will save you folks the cliches of recovery nomenclature. I have been completely sober since and I live a life today full of purpose and ambition. But I never forget my past for as the saying goes, "a man who forgets his past is doomed to repeat it." I only check my account on here every several months so if you want to talk you can e-mail me at [email protected]. I would love to hear from any of you.

Last edited:
I'm doing very well now, thank you. The mind is a peculiar thing. It seeks to rationalize even the most absurd acts. By maintaining a loperamide intake, surely I avoid the harms of a dangerous heroin addiction? My journey with loperamide began in late spring of 2013 at a lazy shore town with scarce resources that would be unable to fulfill my oxycodone habit. In a panic I plunged into the throws of the internet in order to seek out any solution to this dilemma. After sorting through threads not too dissimilar to this one, I discovered the chemical to take in which I would later wish for death. This town had a couple of pharmacies that stocked loperamide. I started at 40 milligrams which achieved the desired effect. Overwhelming relief washed over me. This would hold me over in the mean time! But the all too familiar fate of addiction invaded my life, and soon I would increase the dosage. 100 milligrams at first, then 200 not long after. Eventually in fall of 2013 I would take up to 400 milligrams. Complete deterioration ensued. My muscles degraded as if suffering from dystrophy while my stomach ballooned in shape. My skin was bluish-white and my pupils conquered my irises like a usurper. Tremendous dehydration forced me to drink high amounts of water and the constant urination brought a sharp sting in the abdomen. My extremities grew more numb each passing day, and I had no feeling in my feet. Any attempt at social gathering was futile. My sister pitied my physical and mental state so one night she invited me to go to a museum with her in the city. What resulted was near fainting after simply walking briskly to cross the road. I could not stand for long without my legs giving out, so attending concerts and bars had embarrassing outcomes. Several attempts at a taper would be promising in the beginning, followed by disillusionment and a return to taking more. In fear for my life, I went to a hospital in early 2014. My diagnosis baffled the doctors, and after telling half-truths they sent me to a drug rehabilitation center. Loperamide withdrawal was patient at first followed by a torture unbeknownst to common men. I kicked for two weeks without sleep after which I was transferred to a local psychiatric ward. Good-natured doctors declared me paranoid schizophrenic and prescribed me anti-psychotics. Shortly after, things would get much worse. After 45 days separated from loperamide, the klonopin was no match for the insidiousness of addiction and I was back to the pharmacy once more. In a matter of days I would begin to take the same dosage of Loperamide that nearly put me in the grave months prior. With my body and mind in sharp decline once again, it was summer of 2014 that I was carted around in road trips back to the shore town in which the unravelling began. I would pass out and wake up screaming several times in the two hour car ride. Doctors would later say that this was my heart collapsing and resuscitating in a matter of moments. Dangerous game indeed, but I did not know how to stop. Finally my parents grew wise, caught me in the act, and I had to be physically separated in what I hope is one last time. It was then that my journey truly began, but I will save you folks the cliches of recovery nomenclature. I have been completely sober since and I live a life today full of purpose and ambition. But I never forget my past for as the saying goes, "a man who forgets his past is doomed to repeat it." I only check my account on here every several months so if you want to talk you can e-mail me at [email protected]. I would love to hear from any of you.

Great story ++!

Were you taking loperamide merely for withdrawal relief, or were you taking it to get high? You mention the rush, which I can understand, but only if you're going from withdrawals to feeling normal, that's all I've ever gotten from loperamide, but it is still a rush to change from terrible feeling to decent.

My lope addiction lasted 3 years. I also had problems with muscles giving out and heart stopping from it. Have been off a week now from 80 pill a a day habit only taking .25 of suboxone every 24 hours. I plan to skip days soon since I only have a few doses left. I Have a few benzos, little weed thats it. It's very hard to make it to 24. Withdrawals for me start pretty noticeable 10 to 12 hours after last .25 dose. Only have 2 and 1/2mgs left. Hopefully I can make this work. So happy I'm off this horrible drug and my body is healing. True happiness for once in a long while even though I feel like a$$ crack I feel pretty enlightened and excited and truly happy to be healing and being healthy and FREE is just in reach. Just a little more to go. Does anyone have any insight into how long you would estimate my withdrawals to last if I'm on that low dose? Also been taking TONS of vitamins and supplements. Any advice super appreciated! <3

Hi. Should I expect WD from 2 week of use (without using every days, I skipped some days) ? I took 48mg at each intake

thx

if you had no active opioid dependency prior to using loperamide? probably not. If you are using loperamide to come off of other opioids, you're going to experience the W/D from the prior opioids you used. If you have a REALLY long history of opioid dependence and withdrawal, then its possible that this short(ish) use is enough to get a withdrawal from.

In all likelyhood though......probably not

I need help please. I have been on 400-480 mg of loperamide daily for 4 years now
anybody that has come off a high dose of loperamide of 400 mg a day with suboxone. please it will be much appreciated on how to start on subs. today was my third time trying to start the sub after 36 hours of not dosing with loperamide and it didn't work. an hour after I start taking 8mg of sub I start feeling the withdrawals coming furious and worst then anything, i have to take immediately 400 mg of lope or it will be impossible to survive the feeling of withdrawals from loperamide. One would rather commit suicide then go thru that.
so please again, if anybody has had any experience switching to subs from high doses of loperamide please please share. cannot take this bullshit anymore.
thank you!

Might be easier to use a shorter acting opioid like codeine or tramadol to transition onto buprenoprhine.

Either that or try tapering you loperamide dose down to ~100mg before switching, but it would be easier/fast to just take codeine for three or four days as the loperamide has a chance to begin working its way out of your system before inducting on buprenorphine.

I need help please. I have been on 400-480 mg of loperamide daily for 4 years now
anybody that has come off a high dose of loperamide of 400 mg a day with suboxone. please it will be much appreciated on how to start on subs. today was my third time trying to start the sub after 36 hours of not dosing with loperamide and it didn't work. an hour after I start taking 8mg of sub I start feeling the withdrawals coming furious and worst then anything, i have to take immediately 400 mg of lope or it will be impossible to survive the feeling of withdrawals from loperamide. One would rather commit suicide then go thru that.
so please again, if anybody has had any experience switching to subs from high doses of loperamide please please share. cannot take this bullshit anymore.
thank you!

You know how subs work, and that the only really comfortable way to start them is to take them after all of the opioids have left your system. It's hard to do this with loperamide because it sticks around and lingers for a long time. Its tough to go through 7-14 days of withdrawal, and even tougher to do those 7-14 days of withdrawal and STILL end up getting percipitated withdrawal.

I take 400/day too, and for all of the half assed attempts, I've never gotten it much lower, but I have managed to keep it static and not raise it. I cant taper because I end up going back to normal dose immediatley.

BUT tapering will be your best bet. Acyually, the most comfortable ting to do would be to taper off of loperamide slowly without using other opioids.

I like the "'X%' drop every 'X' days" approach to tapering, its gotten me closest ive ever been to being succesful. Basically pick a ratio of what you use and a time range to stabilize and drop your dose by that. For example, I'm taking 400mg of loperamide every day, I'm going to start by reducing my dose by 20% every week (7 days).

This is nice. In the beginning stages of tapering, we can handle larger dose reductions and we can do that a bit faster. But the lower your dose gets, the more sensitive you become to the dose changes. An ideal taper would have all of the big reductions quickly at the start, with gradually smaller cuts as you get closer to the goal. dropping a proportion (%) of your dose instead of dropping a fixed amount each time accounts for the need of "big drops early, little drops late"

So, again, I'm reducing my loperamide dose by 20% every 7 days; I take 400mg/day. This means my taper schedule looks like:

400mg, 320mg, 256mg, 205mg, 164mg, 131mg, 105mg, 84mg, 67mg, 54mg, 43mg, 34mg, 27mg, 22mg, 18mg, 14mg, 11mg, 9mg, 7mg, 6mg, 5mg, 4mg, 3mg, then DROP'

each lower dose gets 7 days for stabilization. Notice how the dose changes, its always cut by 20%, but ass the dose gets lower, the dose cuts get smaller too, so its less jarring to the body. it takes into account the fact that going from 400mg to 250mg would be easy while 10mg 5mg would be painful. Its relative. The dose drops from 400mg to 84mg in 7 weeks, but it then takes 15 weeks to get from 84mg to 0mg (the drop).

You know how subs work, and that the only really comfortable way to start them is to take them after all of the opioids have left your system. It's hard to do this with loperamide because it sticks around and lingers for a long time. Its tough to go through 7-14 days of withdrawal, and even tougher to do those 7-14 days of withdrawal and STILL end up getting percipitated withdrawal.

I take 400/day too, and for all of the half assed attempts, I've never gotten it much lower, but I have managed to keep it static and not raise it. I cant taper because I end up going back to normal dose immediatley.

BUT tapering will be your best bet. Acyually, the most comfortable ting to do would be to taper off of loperamide slowly without using other opioids.

I like the "'X%' drop every 'X' days" approach to tapering, its gotten me closest ive ever been to being succesful. Basically pick a ratio of what you use and a time range to stabilize and drop your dose by that. For example, I'm taking 400mg of loperamide every day, I'm going to start by reducing my dose by 20% every week (7 days).

This is nice. In the beginning stages of tapering, we can handle larger dose reductions and we can do that a bit faster. But the lower your dose gets, the more sensitive you become to the dose changes. An ideal taper would have all of the big reductions quickly at the start, with gradually smaller cuts as you get closer to the goal. dropping a proportion (%) of your dose instead of dropping a fixed amount each time accounts for the need of "big drops early, little drops late"

So, again, I'm reducing my loperamide dose by 20% every 7 days; I take 400mg/day. This means my taper schedule looks like:

400mg, 320mg, 256mg, 205mg, 164mg, 131mg, 105mg, 84mg, 67mg, 54mg, 43mg, 34mg, 27mg, 22mg, 18mg, 14mg, 11mg, 9mg, 7mg, 6mg, 5mg, 4mg, 3mg, then DROP'

each lower dose gets 7 days for stabilization. Notice how the dose changes, its always cut by 20%, but ass the dose gets lower, the dose cuts get smaller too, so its less jarring to the body. it takes into account the fact that going from 400mg to 250mg would be easy while 10mg 5mg would be painful. Its relative. The dose drops from 400mg to 84mg in 7 weeks, but it then takes 15 weeks to get from 84mg to 0mg (the drop).
Hey brother i am still alive and well, I hope and wish the same for you!
I just came back from the dead doing 500 pills 1000 mg of loperamide a day for the last 3 years in a row. Three cardiac arrests and seven consciousness loss episodes keep your eyes open I'll come here in the few days and open a new thread telling my life story and hopefully, hopefully helping someone here.