• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Big and Dandy Loperamide Adddiction Thread

^^^

Yeah we are getting more and more people with similar stories. Loperamide addiction is very real indeed. :\

Unfortunately, it's probably just a matter of time now til it goes behind the counter, similar to pseudoephedrine. Too many people have caught on.

I can take 200 pills of loperamide in 2 swallows. They are tiny and the wax coated ones go down easy. Brand name Imodium and any generic that has the cotton in the bottle (pills not coated in wax) dissolve as soon as water touches them and they taste horrible. Those, I can only do about 15 at a time. I stuck with the waxy ones.
I had saw in one of your posts that you use adderall, did it help you to get off lope? Also, did you tell your doctor about your lope problem?

I had saw in one of your posts that you use adderall, did it help you to get off lope? Also, did you tell your doctor about your lope problem?

I was on Adderall for a very brief period. If anything, the side effects of Adderall made me use more loperamide to counteract them.

Oh wow! 200 pills? Dude, that is fuckin' overkill, holyshit!

I started at about 40 pills 3 years ago. 200 is where I ended up. I didn't need to increase the dose, but I did anyway because I'm an addict and that's just what we do. When I started increasing the dose, I couldn't go back down without losing some of the relief it gave me. 200 is just where I happened to be when I came to the conclusion that I had to stop.

Look, loperamide does get you high when you take a high dose on an empty stomach with 40 to 64oz of white grapefruit juice. You also have to wait 3 hours afterwords before you eat anything or you'll fuck up the high!!! When I say high dose I mean at least 70 pills (140mg) and with a high tolerance you would have to take between 120/150 pills to get high like when you take 200mg of methadone with a methadone tolerance. But it does work! I know because I am fucking addicted to it now and pissed off as hell because when I try to stop I am sicker then trying to stop fucking methadone!!! This shit sucks and the withdrawal is worse then methadone, especially on your stomach and digestive system. The opiate receptors in the gut are more addicted to this type of opiate, so the withdrawals are gut wrenching disastrous and you'll wish you were dead! I'm very slowly tapering down from 150 pills a day (300mg) to as of now 60 pills a day or 120mg but it took a couple weeks to get down this far. I'm still feeling withdrawals though so I have been stuck at 60 pills a day for almost a week now. I'm afraid that it could take months for me to finally get away from this loperamide for good but whatever it takes it will be good to finally stop taking it for good!
One thing about loperamide is that in higher doses is causes dangerous muscle relaxing like effects where you will have a hard time breathing, walking or even fully chewing when trying to eat. It can be pretty scary and I thought I possibly going to die when I felt this after taking 200 pills, so anything more then 150 pills with a high tolerance is suicide If you ask me. And taking 120 was a happy somewhat safe dose for me when I was really into it. After months of doing this 120 to 150 pills a day I just started feeling sick and kind of weak so I knew I needed to cut back and get off this nasty ass loperamide, there is no way this shit is healthy on your body and who knows what the long term negative consequences will be to my health, If any? Ive been struggling with opiate addiction for 17 years though and at the time I started using loperamide I thought it was a viable option to methadone but now I know methadone would be a much better choice and much less unhealthy on the body then shitty ass loperamide with grapefruit juice!
Also, I take a prescription stool softener with an all natural over the counter laxative/stool softener which is a must while taking loperamide at high doses otherwise you'll get so backed up you'll put yourself in the hospital.

The muscle weakening is scary as shit. I've almost choked on food too many times. I also got extremely lightheaded when having to even mildly expend energy. Going up the stairs to my bedroom would cause me to faint because going up stairs was too much work for my body to handle. I fainted getting out of my car once. If it had happened a minute sooner, I'd have killed myself or someone else. Even pushing a cart of groceries out to my car caused me to faint. I fell and smacked my head against this guys bumper. He was nice enough to help me up and walk to my car. I shouldn't have drove home though.

Another thing it messed with was my vision. My eyes were OK when looking straight ahead, but if I tried to move my eyes to the side to look at something, I didn't have the strength to hold them there. They'd start shaking and return to center. To look to the side, I'd have to turn my head.

Breathing was always way too shallow, and it was impossible to take a deep breath. Shortness of breath probably contributed to my constant feeling of faintness. I also got a really severe chest pain from time to time, sort of like something was stuck in my throat near my heart and lungs. It was very painful, and often times pretty damn scary.

All this mostly occurred with 144 pills or more. When I was at the stage where I was using 100 or less, I never experienced any of these side effects. I can't comment on doses between 100 and 144 because I never took any in that range, but I assume from the severity of the symptoms at above 144 that they would be there with lower doses, but maybe not as severe.

If a Mod could be kind enough to merge my previous posts, I'd be forever grateful. I'm posting from my phones browser on the mobile version of the site, and the logistics of editing and merging them all myself is complicated. There may be an easier way to do it on this new version of VB, but I'm not familiar with it, and I apologize if it is there and I'm not seeing it.

Sorry to sidetrack here, but does anybody know if bupe will block the effects of lope. I'll be reducing my bupe, and when it gets really uncomfortable, I'm kinda hoping I can get some relief from this unique drug. (I also have tramadol, but I'd prefer to use lope).

Also, I've read almost overwhelming reports of how lope can reduce opiate WD; too many to many too discount as mere placebo. Besides, if you're withdrawing from say heroin, for example, I really doubt a placebo is gonna help that kind of pain. Any brains out there who could shed some light on why lope is helping people, considering the BBB and all?

Yes, it does block loperamide, and the reverse - Suboxone precipitating withdrawals from loperamide - is true too.

As for it crossing the BBB, people misunderstand this, thinking it doesn't cross AT ALL. It does, but in very small amounts, which was why it wasn't adopted as an alternative to methadone, which was the hope when it was created (the more you take, the more that gets through, but if I remember correctly, there's a ceiling on the amount that can get through, but don't quote me on that part; and various sources of information on loperamide that I have read in the past put its potency on par with fentanyl, active in microgram doses, so even if just a tiny amount got through, that would theoretically be enough), but you also have peripheral receptors in your intestines where it isn't inhibited by the BBB. I suspect this is why there really isn't a traditional "high" from loperamide, but it is sufficient enough to ease withdrawals. You are certainly correct that placebo would definitely not completely negate withdrawal symptoms. It's simply not that powerful of an effect.

Edits - correcting my autocorrect

Last edited by a moderator:
Im at 112 mg twice a day now. Im determined not to stop tappering. Id love to hear any success stories about getting off lope and how you did it or the road blocks you faced. Thanks.

When people say they're addicted to massive doses, do they mean that they're getting high on lope? I'm reading conflicting results/reports

^^^

I don't think most people are getting high on it. It's not very recreational. They are using it at such high doses to combat their withdrawals and the lope will only do that if you take a lot.

So they get the withdrawals from H or Oxy under control with lope then can't go down because now they will get withdrawals from coming off the lope? Am I getting that right?

Not trying to make lite of this but you are literally full of crap lol. If you get official help you will only be worse off getting on subs. Idk what to tell you..

I dont know if your still following this thread but from my reading on the chemical lop, it appears to me that even though you are not getting the high from this opiate (oid?) you will still suffer from the withdrawl from it (given exesive use, for whatever purpose) from what i have read, it has a pretty bad comeoff compaired to other opiates, i personaly belive this is due to the lack of recognition of use, you dont realize how much your actualy consuming, as in that the effects are minor but the tollerance and dependance is much higher ( something like 1:8 ratio compared to other opiate/opioids how much effect to : withdrawl symptoms) [if that makes any sence, i couldent think of better wording at this time, msg me if need be]

So they get the withdrawals from H or Oxy under control with lope then can't go down because now they will get withdrawals from coming off the lope? Am I getting that right?
I used it to come off 120mg a day methadone, I had no withdrawal. The problem is now I cant stop the lope without bad withdrawal. Im trying to tapper but its hard because it doesn't work as well as it used to and I refuse to go any higher on the dose. Im going to keep trying to tapper. Also, I used to get a high off of it, and still do sometimes. Its not as good as a normal opiate high but there is definitely cns effects. I use cimitedine and white grapefruit juice also. I know people have a hard time understanding this but I promise you I have no reason to lie.
ive been an opiate addicit for amost 20 years and I know what loperamide does for me and many others.

^^

So even taking 1 less pill a day or 2mg's less, you feel withdrawals from that low of a drop?

No, but sometimes the lope doesn't work as well, im not sure why. Im still tappering but I feel like crap alot sometimes it will work better and I almost feel high, and then ill go a couple of day's feeling like I haven't taken anything. I used to up my dose when that happened but im determined not to do that anymore. When I first started using it to get off methadone it didnt do this , its been over 3 months now and for the last month or so its been like I said. I feel trapped in loperamide purgatory.

Tapering works the same with any drug. What's happening is you are developing a tolerance to your current dose and therefore it doesn't hold you as well, each day you use the same dose, it holds you less and less. If you continue to taper down, you will feel a little bit sick for a day or so, but then your body will stabilize on that current dose. There is no painless way to do it. One way or another your body has to get used to taking less lope. If you can't do a full 2mg's a day, try going down just 1mg. Or 2mg's every 2 or 3 days.

Yep, thats exactly what im doing. Im going 2mg a day.what I dont understand is latley it sometimes seems it doesn't work at all for a day or two and then bam, ill feel really good like it used to feel. I dont do anything any different. The only thing is my stomach has been really bothering me lately. I dont know if there might be absorption problems or what, but im so sick of being sick, ya know. Anyway im going to keep going till I get off this crap. I need to go to the doctor but if I tell him about this im not sure what he will say, probably think im crazy.

Down to 100mg twice a day. Im trying to cut to just once a day. I can go a day but then I have to go back to twice or I get sick. Anyway, hope to hear from anyone also trying to get off lope. I used it to come off methadone but am now stuck. The withdrawal is just as bad or maybe worse than methadone for me.