• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

2006 NFL Thread

Oooh, nice. Can't believe I haven't seen this thread until now. :D

After a miserable preseason and slow start the first two games, my boys have started turning things around. Everything is starting to click. Keep your eyes open. We've got a lot of weapons on our squad.. %)

SantanaMossGameWinningCatchInOT.jpg

BreakzHabit said:
Oooh, nice. Can't believe I haven't seen this thread until now. :D

After a miserable preseason and slow start the first two games, my boys have started turning things around. Everything is starting to click. Keep your eyes open. We've got a lot of weapons on our squad.. %)

SantanaMossGameWinningCatchInOT.jpg

Turning things around? Your defense gave up 30 points. I'm also not going to mention that bad call on the Pearman fumble.

forgotten said:
Turning things around? Your defense gave up 30 points. I'm also not going to mention that bad call on the Pearman fumble.
You're missing the point. We won. And our offense, which did pretty much nothing the first two weeks of the season, is finally starting to prove itself as a force to be reckoned with. All the buzz going around about an aging, washed up quarterback has been hushed, at least temporarily. When we beat the Texans and crushed them in total yards (495-261) it wasn't good enough cuz it was the Texans. (Even with Brunell setting the NFL record for consecutive passes..) This past Sunday against supposedly one of the best defenses in the NFL, it was a similar story (481-307). Jacksonville had a mere 33 yards rushing. 274 yards came through the air against a defense that's still missing its star cornerback (Shawn Springs).

I didn't wanna do all this, but let's take a look at some numbers..

Week 1 vs. Minnesota

1st Downs: 15
Net Yards: 266
Rushing yds: 103
Passing yds: 163
Sacked: 0
3rd down conv: 4-13 (31%)
Offensive TD's: 1
Penalties: 7 - 55 yds
Def. Sacks: 1
TOP: 28:16

Week 2 vs. Dallas

1st Downs: 16
Net Yards: 245
Rushing yds: 93
Passing yds: 152
Sacked: 6 - 45
3rd down conv: 6-16 (38%)
Offensive TD's: 0
Penalties: 11 - 117 yds
Def. Sacks: 1
TOP: 31:55

Week 3 vs. Texas

First Downs: 25
Net Yards: 495
Rushing yds: 234
Passing yds: 261
3rd down conv: 9-13 (69%)
Offensive TD's: 4
Penalties: 12-126
Sacks: 1
TOP: 38:27

Week 4 vs. Jacksonville

First Downs: 22
Net Yards: 481
Rushing yds: 152
Passing yds: 329
3rd down conv: 7-14 (50%)
Offensive TD's: 4
Penalties: 4-40
Def. Sacks: 4
TOP: 36:32

Now you can go ahead and tell me that that's not turning things around, but I'm gonna have to completely disagree with you on that. And so are the stats. A win is a win is a win. And at 2-2, we've got some momentum to take on the Giants next week. Say what you want about the Skins, I'm just saying, keep your eyes open. Things are finally starting to come together.
smile.gif

Don't get me wrong, I love Brunell. I attended every home game he ever played in here. I would like nothing more than for him to do well, so the Jacksonville front office can see what a mistake they made in getting rid of him so early.

All I'm saying is that claiming to have turned it around after the 4th game of the season, is a bit premature. :)

Perhaps. But did you watch Washington's first two games? Or even worse, did you see any of their preseason games? Eveyone just seemed off. The offense, the defense... Nothing seemed to click. Now everything just seem soooo much more in synch. I'm not screaming Super Bowl (well, not just yet at least ;)), but my boys are definitely showing improvement. :)

Yuppers the Bengals got gashed by New England, and even worse they got gashed not just by Maloney but Dillion. Aw that was painful to watch. To make matters worse for myself, I placed my first ever online bet on that game.

What a way to lose $50 :(

With that being said, I realistically knew getting through the first four weeks 4-0 would be about impossible. KC, Cle, Pitt, and NE is a pretty brutal way to start off your season. I'll take 3-1 anyday.

And after watching the first 4 weeks I have to say the team that has impressed me the most so far is Indianapolis. Ok maybe the Bears too.

Ive been a New Orleans fan since Danny Wuerrfull got drafted there, so Im going to have to go ahead and say they will at least get the south. The bucks are fuckin taost this week. GO SAINTS!

They will most likely beat the Bucs,but then that's it.They definatly won't beat Atl. again and probaly won't beat Carolina.

ChemicalBeauty said:
Seahawks will bring it all home this year, absolutely guaranteed.

:)

I know i'm a week late but AHEM. Did I say GO BEARS?

And I don't want to hear any shit about their schedule being easy. Although I don't have a good feeling about tomorrows game.....

everyone says Chicago's schedule is a cakewalk because it's true. any half-decent team should win that division year after year after year after year. I thought that things might be a little different this year, with Minnesota riding some momentum early on in the season, but they seem to be heading back to their lackluster ways. the NFC North has one solid team and a bunch of cupcakes. and this is not said without any bias because the Bears might be my favorite team in the NFC.

in the preseason I picked the Redskins to have a great year and make it deep in the playoffs. it looked like I was going to eat crow but now they seem to be picking themselves up. come on Washington - there is no excuse for you guys not to be a good football club. you have all the ingredients to offer; with a solid coach, a solid running back, a solid defense, and a QB who ages like fine wine.

and what's up with Jax? I am all about the Jags but how did Washington score over 30 points on them? what is even more shocking is how Portis butchered their run defense. to their defense, in sports, coming out of a difficult ball-busting game against an opponent that if you beat it is considered an upset (ex: Colts the week before), it is hard to keep your focus during the following game.

the bye currently for the Pittsburgh Steelers might be the most important bye for any NFL team all year - what with them visiting the Chargers tomorrow night. the Chargers look to be a solid team this year, supported by their mean defense spear-headed by Shaun Merriman, and fronted offensively with nurtured QB Phillip Rivers. this is a must-win game for Pitt and usually I am not caught dead saying that this early in a season of sports.

looks to be some good pro-football tomorrow (if you can avoid the T.O. VS McNabb bull-shit smelling hype, that is =D)!!

Haven't replied to this thread because I was waiting to download the game before knowing the results, and i've still only seen the fu<king shortcut/highlights of it. And can we please stop with the "Chicago has an easy schedule" excuse.

yeah, their schedule isn't easy at all! the teams they have played have a collective 9-15 record!

^ indeed. 3 of their wins were green bay, detroit and buffalo. coming up they have san francisco, miami, the jets, tampa bay, green bay again and detroit again. in what sense is that not an easy schedule?

alasdair

^^ You are overlooking the possibility of mechanical failure on the team bus.

AxL BLaZe said:
the bye currently for the Pittsburgh Steelers might be the most important bye for any NFL team all year

maybe, but the colts' bye this week is absolutely crucial for them as well. I think if they had to play another game before their bye they'd probably lose to a college team. i've rarely seen a team look worse while still winning.

any chance Batch will get the start soon since Rothelsberger is starting to look like a lame duck?