:WORK WARNING: A protest or something equally as obscure, about avatars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloSs0m

Bluelighter
A protest or something equally as obscure.

I would like to have a whinge and a moan.

But not just about anything.
About how i feel disturbed, disgusted and exploited.

More specifically about a certain Super moderator's avatar.

Even more specifically, i am ashamed to ask if anyone else has looked closely at our very own onetwothreefour's new avatar.

I mean... ew!

As if i want to see some guy, stretching his goddamn anus to some kind of gross unnatural and seriously disturbing size.

With his hands.

the.nd.

to enable discussion, how do YOU feel about this disgusting, awful and disturbing dispay of completely innappropriate human freakdom?

I think everything inappropriate is hilarious.

Often I feel like I'm alone in my laughter though.

I see it and think 'oh its the goatse man'.

That's about as far as my thoughts go. The internet has desensitized me to anything. Just last weekend I went out and ended up taking this fine looking thing home. Turned out to be a hermaphrodite... seen it all before. Meh.

There's actually a related thread in support at the mo re: avatars which would need a work warning if the pic was posted in thread.

Work warning avatars

As far as avatars go... it's one of the most feral I've seen to be honest. Doesn't bother me hugely, but 1234... you've had far better ones in the past :)

I'm just annoyed that I can't enjoy avatars without having to see 1234s stretched anus interspersed in between posts.

I use avatars to keep track of whos posted when skimming threads and having a gaping anus winking at me really doesn't help. Worse comes to worse, he's a mod, thus I can't add him to my ignore list.

Honestly dude, have some decency and change that fuckin thing...

The picture itself is disturbing.
But I laughed out loud when I saw 1234 using it as an avatar.

At first i found it kinda sick& funny...

Ha ha Perhaps he should replace it with this Pic That endlesseuolgy posted in the "post your most recent picture part deux"...

now, if he posted his OWN arse doing that, it may not be copyright :p

I've already seen both the WW avatar threads.
I enjoy the cartoon goatse
, coz its a giggle.
I enjoy the bunny one
bunny.gif
coz its a giggle.

I don't like the real one...

I just think the whole idea is wrong.
If i wanted to look at some guy ripping his arse open.
I'd look it up.

I like moe, use people's avatars to scan quickly when i scroll down. I don't want to see that whenever 1234 posts, and I enjoy reading 1234s posts. I think they are worthwhile. But, i don't enjoy seeing some guys gaping anus each time i do read one.

I think all the risque avatars going around at the moment simply aren't necessary. - it's not as bad in here as in the lounge, obviously.

BUt I would go as far to say that i do find these images offensive.

Last edited:
Has anyone NOT seen goatse?
I'd have to say, even though so tiny that you could easily not look at it, it is quite ill-humoured. But personally I'm just glad he didn't use goatse girl.

It's pretty gross. I just read his essay about ravers and had to endure that avatar about five times. 8o

sierra said:
Has anyone NOT seen goatse?
I'd have to say, even though so tiny that you could easily not look at it, it is quite ill-humoured. But personally I'm just glad he didn't use goatse girl.
is that bathtub girl?

Hrrm. I was gonna go merge the threads, but they're probably relevant in their own ways in the forums they're in. I would encourage people to go check out the one that kat and SLM already linked to though, it's here if you missed it already.

I don't know if you guys know, but there is an option to disable avatars. Go to myBL in the toolbar at the top of the screen, click on Edit Options and there's an option there to ensure you won't see them anymore. I understand it may not be your preferred option, but it's an option.

For my part, while I can understand people's dislike of distasteful avatars, I'm not so fussed by it. I don't really see it as a work hazard because they're so tiny, and I believe in freedom of expression over censorship for reasons of personal taste.

Having said that....I like ass, and 1234's avatar is gross to the power of infinity!! :p

EDIT: I did decide to amend the title of the thread slightly though, just to make it more obvious what it's all about...

Last edited:
it is a fucking disturbing picture i agree. i'm just lucky that i'm currently using the worst computer, with the worst monitor in the whole wide world so i kinda have to guess what it's a picture of cos the image is so pixelated. still, i can see enough and it's completely gross- no doubt about it.

i just don't like anything which sole purpose is to shock. that is to say it's not the fact that i find it offensive because it defies norms, it's the fact that i find it pointless if the idea behind the image has no real substance. for example there are some contemporary artists that make works of simular nature to 1234's avatar but those works never have any real long lasting effect on me because i go meh to things that i see primarily as a form of attention seeking.

^^^ that sounds a bit harsh, hey? just to clarify what i said isn't directed to 1234 per se i'm just expanding this whole thing onto other relevant areas... such as in art. on bluelight i'm rather 'fucking change it man!' but at the same time 'meh'.

and no i'd never heard of 'goatse man' prior to this.

yay, i win ;)

whilst i take on board dreamtime's point above (and others who said the same), it's a bit of fun. sure it's gross, but if you're actually *offended* by it...well, i think you need to take life a little less seriously.

anyway, my life is full of petty victories and not much else, and this is just another to add to the list ;)

The official word at this point is, turn off avatars if you don't wish to see them, or use filtering software (a default feature exists in Mozilla, for example) to prevent images being displayed from i1.bluelight.ru -- see the thread linked above for discussion on whether browsing Bluelight at all is NSFW.

BigTrancer :)

hihi BT!!!

what i would like to know is...what on earth possesed you in the first place Brad?

i would like to give all credit to mysticalis: after seeing that thread in the lounge, i figured it was time to change my avatar (the bulls - my last avatar - were knocked out of the playoffs a week or two ago), and so decided to go with something to raise a reaction just like this.

plus i find the whole concept of the goatse man quite amusing - what people will do to get themselves on the internet/for fame/for money is just a little disturbing. don't think there's anything wrong with bringing attention to it though.

as everyone's noticed, i've always had weird avatars - just nothing so ott before though.

Status
Not open for further replies.