• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Why is everyone so ECSTATIC about Techno?!?

Isn't that an interesting idea? I always thought there was a reason people understood rave music after having taken e, and your essay explained it quite nicely.

I do think 'teaching' would be the right word to use though... 'conditioned stimulus' implies a certain degree of automation. In other words, it implies that your brain automatically lowers pre pulse inhibition when it hears techno, but I think that the listener consciously does this in order to get into the music more.

techno isn't 'uplifting' at all.. I believe trance music would've been a more proper topic of the essay, instead of techno I mean.. Allthough I believe any music people like would go well with MDMA. I'd consider tech and psy more suitable to the effects of speed.

nice paper nevertheless.

Last edited:
Anybody else have any thoughts they'd like to share concerning the topics presented in my paper???

It's been 5 months since someone posted to this thread...maybe there are some newer folks on the site that would be ineterested...so........BUMP!

Heehee, i havnt read it yet, dont have time right now, but i definately will judging by these great reviews! :\

its late and i'm tired as hell so i didnt read the entire thing. i just saw that u went to ucsb and all i gotta say is: I FUCKING LOVEEEE THAT SCHOOL!! ive been up there a few times and i loved those parties on dp n all that. but besides the parties, its just an awesome school right by the beach.
sorry, a lil off topic here.......

Is HOUSE music what the Americans call Techno???

I thought TECHNO music was the crap MOBY done!!!
Remember the EMINEM song when he said to moby -
'NOBODY LISTENS TO TECHNO'.

I love listening to HARD HOUSE when im Popping pills.

Not to rain on your parade, but Techno was around a bit longer, than MDMA has been used as a recreational drug. The first Techno album was released in '67. MDMA specifically wasn't popular until the eighties. MDA was used during the Disco era, though. Disco came from Techno, though.

MOBY isn't techno. He does electronica, and world music crap, and soundscapes. Techno is like earlier Juan Atkins before he went to Chicago, and the first Kraftwerk albums. Not to say I don't like MOBY, but people keep confusing him to be making techno. EMINEM is just a jaded raver.:p Same with KidCock.

Great paper djmonkey! Very well written and informative. Gave me great insight as to why I fell head over heals for EDM.

I do want to point out something I noticed in your paper though. You state that MDMA was placed as a schedule 1 substance in 1988. Didn't this happen in 1985?

David...the goal of the paper was to explore WHY there is such a strong relationship between the use of ecstasy and a preference for electronic dance music as a genre. The fact that techno was around for a while before MDMA hit the scene does not mean that there is no relationship between the two. The fact that the ecstasy user population's general interest in techno rose dramatically with the rise in ecstasy use is the focal point here. So NO...you did not rain on my parade. :)

DJ Gringo...thanks! I'm glad you got something out of the paper. As for the MDMA scheduling, I just got that little factoid out of one of a scientific paper that, admittedly, was focusing on something else. The folks who wrote the paper discussed the change in legal status of the drug at some point in the paper and, since I was already using that paper to gain information about the science, I just referenced their info about when ecstasy was scheduled. I haven't looked at the paper in a long time but this is the reference:

Cami, Jordí, Magí Farré, Marta Mas, Pere N. Roset, Sandra Poudevida, Anna Mas, Lluis San, and Rafael de la Torre "Human Pharmacology of 3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (“Ecstasy”): Psychomotor Performance and Subjective Effects." Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology 20(4) (1999): 455-466.

I kinda took a shortcut on that one...I should have found a better reference for that factoid...if you are right then perhaps the folks that wrote the motor effects paper were wrong about the legal info.

Great Paper DjMonkey
Techno is happy music you cant help but get up and dance!! I loved techno/dance music way before I started Rolling.

Thanks dj2tall_wunderboicv2...I appreciate it.

I never hated dance music before I took E...in fact, I liked its complexity...but I hated that it was so repetitive. But after I took E I started to appreciate the repitition...and I all-around fell in love with dance music in general. I think this has happened for a lot of people.

I never listened to techno before I started rollin. ;-) Hard rock only... Rob Zombie and such. I did start to listen to SOME techno... and even luv it because it brings me up. The beat, it goes along with what I am trying to do... roll. Its like one of those spiritual things that no one could possible peek in my head an tell about... it just brings me to a different level. Of course we are only talkin about some techno.. not all. In my opinion, 75% of it that I have heard sucks. I still get into my hard rock, head bangin, gash your eyes out, putem on fire, stabbem with a sphoon, hard core.. ok maybe not.. just a little Zombie maybe... an nothing beats it. :)