• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Why is everyone so ECSTATIC about Techno?!?

mad_chemist...I too am a bit fan of Plastikman...in fact, I'd say he's probably my favorite musician.

As for raves in 1985...ecstasy was not prevalent there simply because ecstasy was not prevalant in general. Once ecstasy was introdcued to the dance culture, the correlation quickly developed into what was in Oslo in 1999 and what it still is now. I have no arguments with the claim that Richie Hawtin's work is "more conducive to tripping"...BUT...I must point out that this is a point you are making based on your assessment of your own experience (ie an OPINION). What I have tried to do in my paper is take the population as a whole and look for trends. According to the epidemiological research that has been done, ON AVERAGE, the correlation between ecstasy use and a preference for electronic dance music is MORE prevalent than the correlation between LSD use and a preference for electronic dance music. Furthermore, this correlation is greater than some other common correlations involving drugs, such as those mentioned in the Oslo research.

To be quite honest with you, all other things being equal, if I were to choose a drug to take for the purpose of listening to CONSUMED, I would probably choose acid. But that doesn't really speak to my point. The point I am exploring in my paper is that there is a strange phenomenon that occurs when people take ecstasy...THEY START TO DEVELOP A GREATER INTEREST IN ELECTRONIC DANCE MUSIC. That may also be the case for LSD but I would assert that it is MORE SO the case for ecstasy.

I appreciate your posts so far. I am not trying to shut you up with my rebuttals...please continue!!!

AND TO THE REST OF YOU OUT THERE...anybody interested in sharing an idea or two???

oh I know, bro. In fact, I agree with you regarding those trends. Ecstacy is by far the more popular rave drug, by choice, and doesn't have the large potential for menacing vibes that acid does. I was just mentioning that LSD was among the first drugs commonly seen in raves; in fact, disco parties at the Warehouse (NY) were very acidic; I've read that Frankie Knuckles used to hand out tabs to party-goers in the late-70s, and into 1980.

I was turned on to electronic music from tripping, not rolling; but I realize that many people take the other route. Either way, it's nice that we can share a common taste and similar understanding for the music. LSD allows for listeners to discern (sometimes for the first time) the layers and textures of sound imbedded in minimal techno, something very evident during a trip, in an album like Consumed.

yeah, I'd also have to say Richie Hawtin is my fav producer; he definitely influenced the style of music I make; minimal techno. Listening to Consumed on 2 fresh mushies, or Concept 1 on 4 sweet tarts is mind-bending. Speedy J is another producer who caters to psychedelic minds

some other noteworthy artists (IMO):

Thomas Brinkmann
RIcardo Villalobos
Heiko Laux
Daniel Bell
Robert Hood
Chris Liebing
Magda
Josh Wink
Surgeon
Algorithm
Sutekh
Twerk
Autechre (of course)
Mouse on Mars
Scanner
Bola
Boards of Canada
J Majik
D. Kay
Source Direct
Amon Tobin (for sure)
Mad Professor

just to name a few

I've always enjoyed techno music, along with RnB, dance etc... But while I'm on Ecstasy, Techno feels like my heaven - it feels like "I'm in the music". I remember once while on Ecstasy, on the techno dance floor, the music just felt so good - I was actually just standing in the middle of the dance floor with my eyes shut looking up. I can't describe the feeling, but it was orgasmic to say the least.

what do you guys consider techno? I realize not many people pay attention to artist (or DJ) names, but many people confuse certain types of trance (i.e. hard trance) and prog house with techno

Mauro Picotto = trance
Chris Liebing = techno

mad_chemist...although the differences in music genre is an interesting concept, I would like to keep this discussion focused on the concepts presented in my paper.

Sleaze -- I know what you mean!!! Isn't it a strange experience? I really think it transcends the any other drug-music combination I have experienced. That is why I think there is something neurologically unique about it (of course, every drug-music combination is neurologicall unique...but you understand my point).

I was just mentioning that LSD was among the first drugs commonly seen in raves; in fact, disco parties at the Warehouse (NY) were very acidic; I've read that Frankie Knuckles used to hand out tabs to party-goers in the late-70s, and into 1980.
That's true, but the warehouse was in chicago, not ny

I havent been participating in this forum much lately...but i took the time to read the whole thing and its very well written and many valid points are brought up. well done!!

Personally I confine my love of trance and hard-house to while I am on the Bikkies(X) at a club or even home. But as soon as the MDMA/MDA experience ends I am irritated and suddenly unkeen for electronic music.
The crack-out needs to be filled with hip-hop, rap, d'n'b or breaks.
I like Gangsta Rap for chilling and all the other drug moments.

are you talking about techno, a genre in electronic music? or electronic music as a whole?
(sorry a pet peve of mine when people call electronic music techno because techno sounds very different from other kinds of electronic music such as trance or jungle).

I love electronic music because it doesn't need words (even though it can have them) to move me.

I get lost when I listen to it, and I can cry, laugh, smile, or just feel good all over.

It is the easiest music for me to dance to, I can't flow as easily to electronic music as I can to other kinds of music. It makes me move, instead of me having to make myself move to it.

CrystalStar, it's obvious from the lists of dj's named and description of music that we are talking about the genre of techno, not about general electronic music..

I've always enjoyed DnB (especially atmospheric stuff), jambands and "livetronica" (particle, STS9, the new deal etc) while tripping or rolling. I don't really like trance, some house is okay but I just can't get into it. I listen to all this music sober as well.

I thought the article was great. Why am I so estatic about Techno? Well...
There is something so beautiful about a person dancing with such energy, yet having a fluid-like calmness. Entranced in thier own world, unaware or uncaring, about what is outside of them. Moving for hours to a rythmic beat. Sometimes when I start to move I close my eyes and FEEL the music. I just start going and next thing I know I open them and there are people just looking at you because you havn't stopped for three hours. Mmmmm...it just feels god

I haven't read this thread other than your article, so I don't know if this has been mentioned;

I think you should have made a clear distinction between liking techno while ON e and liking techno while not on e. I believe that lowered pre-pulse inhibition is possibly the reason people suddenly seem to 'understand' rave music after taking e.

If mdma decreases pre-pulse inhibition, the experience of taking mdma would actually teach people to decrease their pre-pulse inhibition while not on mdma, thereby making them like electronic dance music more while sober because this genre of music takes advantage of lowered pre-pulse inhibition. You eluded to this in your essay, but personally I think this idea is the strongest part of your essay.

techno is <3 for me.

or trance. or anything like it. even after coming down if it's playing i can't stop moving.

i listen to that music while not using illegal substances also...

DJ Monkey, nice work, although if a professor told me to write 12-15 pages on it I would laugh....but I think a lot of the reason behind the techno/MDMA link is because the come up of E to techno music is unlike any other (to me at least). i can remember the first time i rolled, in the passenger seat of a car on the highway at night, and listening to techno music.....all of the sudden the car tail lights started to float by me...it waslike we were flying!
techno music has the ability to get the listener caught up in the neverending music. a lot of the techno out there goes on and on and on...unlike other types of music where it is a clear song with a beginning, a middle, and an end. techno/trance has that fast happy uplifting beat that all ravers can dance to and let their body go loose with.....it is the ultimate E drug. =D

Very nice work!

I once saw a joke posted here or some other MDMA/Rave related site. I think it kinda sums up E and techno music, for some people. I am sure most of you heard it before:

Q. What did one raver say to the other raver after the pills wore off?

A. Ya know, this music sucks!

;)

To Stuffed Tiger...

Stuffed Tiger...

If mdma decreases pre-pulse inhibition, the experience of taking mdma would actually teach people to decrease their pre-pulse inhibition while not on mdma, thereby making them like electronic dance music more while sober because this genre of music takes advantage of lowered pre-pulse inhibition. You eluded to this in your essay, but personally I think this idea is the strongest part of your essay.

This is very interesting. I never considered the possibility that lowered pre-pulse inhibition would carry-over into sobriety.

I'm not sure that the experience actually teaches someone to lower their pre-pulse inhibition while sober...but I can certainly conceive of electronic music becoming a conditioned stimulus for pre-pulse inhibition, just as it can become a conditioned stimulus for other parts of the ecstasy experience.

To everyone else...sorry I took so long to respond...thank you everyone for your insight, experiences, and criticisms of my paper. ANY OTHER IDEAS OUT THERE?!?!?!?!?