• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Why is everyone so ECSTATIC about Techno?!?

This is a good paper indeed.... I remember the first time I rolled I felt "one" with the music, hehe...

picotto is the farthest thing away from trance currently. back in 2000 his production were mainly hard trance traxs, but now a days he is str8 techno he defines what techno is.

i was hooked on techno the first time i saw rabbit in the moon on lsd. its been 7 years and i still love the shit and i really dont do drugs anymore.

the allure of listening to techno and trance music while rolling can be explained like this:

"its like dancing inside the music" =D

Great paper man, an awesome read indeed.

With me though, the story is a little different.

My love of techno/electronic music came from the movie "Mortal Kombat", and listening to one of my late night radio stations with my dad when I was young. Almost every saturday night techno was blasting. At this time I liked other music, and electronica wasn't my main source.

Sure I jumped from Darude and so, but when I really really started to get into it..Trance brought me back. From there it went to Paul Van Dyke to DJ Tiesto. From there it went to compilation CD's, including all the big names. Then I went to the big names themselves, and starting listening to the other genres of electronica. Mainly progressive, but after a while this got boring. I wanted something harder, faster, more energy. Started looking at Anabolic Frolics Happy Hardcore CD's, and sampling the music. And from there, my love of Hardcore techno just skyrocketed. Now today I listen to all of it occasionaly. Throwing in Trance to start out, Playing Hardcore, Chilling with Ambient, Raving with the old school sterio type techno. You no songs like, "I need yor love" by RaveAllStars (I thin'k ;) ).

I love the music, I don't have to be on MDMA or any substance to enjoy it. Just the other night, I was laying on my car looking up at the stars and listening to Armin Van Burren. For a few minutes I was gone, and I could have sworn I saw a star moving. When I got up, it went away. It was fucking awesome. Right now I have in "The Thrillseekers", and am jamming. I just love the natural high that this music gives me.

I love Ecstasy though, and the music is a lot more meaningful or fun with it. I can't deny it.

The funny thing is I listen to everything else too, from Hip-Hop, Alternative, Country, etc. Hell even Smooth Jazz. I have an appreciation for the respect some people have for certain types of music, because of the respect I have for electronica.

Once again, Great read man.

Yo, good paper man. But, one thing it left me curious about was the music genres you selected. What was the reasoning behind choosing to explore only house and techno. These two are associated with the use of mdma, but they are not the only genres. For exaple where i live (florida ) breaks are popular. Now i would imagine breaks are popular other places too. On the other hand you have trance, which is pretty much the mainstream electronica. SO any insights to why you chose house and techno over the previously mentioned two genres?
thanks

cosmic and babystewie...thanks!

HardcoreHappy...thanks for the story...amazing how we all flow through so many different types of music

lawnmower man...I used the words "house" and "techno" because they are familiar to the intended reader (my teacher from that class), because they were the genres under study in the experiments I cited, and because anyone keen on the scene would be able to realize that the aspects of house and techno that I highlighted (ie repetition, climaxes that are never fully realized, dj's mixing things together so that it never really ends, etc) also apply to the other genres you mentioned.

anybody else have any thoughts on the paper?

David said:
The first Techno album was released in '67.

Disco came from Techno, though.

Techno is like the first Kraftwerk albums.

techno in 1967??? what album is this then? 303's etc weren't around at the time, was it done on a hammond organ?

and disco came from techno - c'mon you're having a laugh

Kraftwerk are definately electronica, in fact they are the epitome of electronica, a lot of their music doesn't have any beats or percussion and is very ambient, how can you call them techno?

all my friends listend o metal , but i got into drum and bass befor i started dooing pills or listening to metal , and my mates would usily say that drum n bass is shit , but after introducing them to pills one by one it has turned them into jungle heads

David said:
Not to rain on your parade, but Techno was around a bit longer, than MDMA has been used as a recreational drug. The first Techno album was released in '67. MDMA specifically wasn't popular until the eighties. MDA was used during the Disco era, though. Disco came from Techno, though.

MOBY isn't techno. He does electronica, and world music crap, and soundscapes. Techno is like earlier Juan Atkins before he went to Chicago, and the first Kraftwerk albums. Not to say I don't like MOBY, but people keep confusing him to be making techno. EMINEM is just a jaded raver.:p Same with KidCock.

I know that this post is old but I'd say that although Kraftwerk influenced almost all dance music - they weren't exactly techno. ;)

techno? id say electronica. techno is a type of electronica/ electronic music.

MDMA mechanism of action

Hey -

So I just wanted to point out that it's now pretty well accepted that the primary mechanism of action of MDMA is not the blockage of serotonin reuptake transporters (SERT). Instead, it's believed that MDMA causes nonvesicular release of serotonin probably by entering the cell through membrane SERTs and then causing both those and their vesicular counterparts to work "in reverse," prompting serotonin to leak out of terminal without the vesicular exocytosis which normally accompanies neurotransmitter release (i.e., without the vesicles binding to the cell membrane and releasing their contents). This explains why taking high doses of SSRIs does not in any way yield the same effects as ecstasy: SSRIs just block reuptake of naturally released serotonin whereas MDMA induces this release (and, likely, still partially blocks SERT sites slowing reuptake).

--Matt

Great article. This certainly sheds some light on why so many of my friends claim that trance is just the same thing over and over again, while I don`t feel that way at all.

I didn`t really think about that maybe mdma changed something in your brain so that you enjoy trance more. I just figured that since i loved it so much while on ecstacy that I just kind of kept that feeling. Not that much difference in the two really, but a little more scientific this way :).