• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why is alcohol worse than other recreational drugs?

Think about it: of all the drugs to ever be made illegal, which is the only one which caused such a public uproar that it had to be relegalized? That right there should tell you a thing or two about the addictive nature of alcohal...

I think we are largely missing the point on why alcohol is extremely more a detrimental drug than most drugs. it does not relate to its side effects or effects, but the violence it causes. have you ever heard of an abusive husband while smoking pot? alcohol just seems to sometimes bring the worst out in people, and usually provokes violent situations.

^^^ very true, but in a one on one discussion, the reply will always be... "Dude, I never get violent when i drink"

I'm guessing WSick's thead was meant to add facts to his arsinal against some alcohol advocate. And i'm assuming this is the classic pot vs beer argument?

well here you go... Though pot can sometimes be mentally addictive it is naver physically addictive. Long term alcohol use will actually change the brain chemistry of the user, making them physically dependent on the drug. This is why alcies get the shakes while sober. Also, even a daily pot user will be back to ful normal brain power after a month of quiting.

I know some will argue that pot is physically addictive because they get stomach cramps when the quite. This might barely be enough to prove your point, but it is nothing compared to the addiction of alcohol.

Plus... you get that shitty hang over:\

^ amphetamines and cocaine can trigger some pretty psychotic acts of violence. Truth is that alcohol is more toxic to the body because of its dose and pharmacology, and more toxic to society because of violence and public health issues.

It's just about the worst possible drug to make available to a population, but because it's so easy to produce, we are a victim of history. Had cannabis been as easy to obtain, and as widespread, we'd be a lot better, as a species, to other species, the planet in general, and each other most of all

DexterMeth said:
well it's a solvent after all. I tend to use my solvents for cleaning grease and oil off the driveway.

what the fuck difference does it make if it's a solvent? Isn't WATER the universal solvent? somehow I have a feeling you use water for more than cleaning grease and oil off the driveway.

he means solvent as poison, something we aren't supposed to consume

atleast thats how I take it.

a solvent is anything that can dissolve something else in it, with the substance being dissovled being a solute. Solvent's arn't poison, they simply dissolve other things in them.

If he meant poison, he should say poison, but even poison isn't an accurate definition. It's a drug.

You don't see many weed smokers attempting to start fights with anyone who passes them . . . then again you don't see many drinkers sitting at home not sayin a word ;)

Coca-Cola is classified as a dangerous solvent, when in indiluted form. Aparently Coke have used it for years to clean the engines and whatnots of their trucks . . . indeed, these said trucks which carry the liquid must also bear a sign labelling it as a Hazardous Chemical. Or so I've heard . . .

isn't there phosphoric acid in coke?

they say if you put a piece of meat in some coke and let it sit in a few days it will completely dissolve....and they consider that to be safe for human consumption, I can only imagine how potent the undiluted form is.

my friend works there, and he says they're very secretive about the formula for coca-cola

The undiluted coke syrup from the factory has to be transported as a hazardous material, because the phorphoric acid concentration is really high. The boxes of syrups they have at restaurants and whatnot are diluted. But yeah, you can dissolve a nail or piece of meat in a bottle of coke. You can eat stuff with vinegar too.. not really that big of a deal.

Lots of everday things in highly concentrated form can be dangerous (stomach acid, pepper oils, acetic acid from vinegar, etc).

I didn't say it was dangerous, but I've dissolved a nail in a 2-liter bottle of coke, so i know it will do it. And by "piece of meat" I obviously don't mean a 10lb steak or anything. I guess this is thoroughly off-topic now. I'll refrain from further comment on it.

Last edited:
No, no. This is all very interesting. Thank you for clearing up my misunderstanding of what a solvent is. I have to try this nail thing for myself.

I wouldn't go as far as to say "alcohol is far worse then most illegal rec drugs" but it is neurotoxic and if you become physically dependant on it, can be deadly to withdraw from!

People here say alcohol causes more problems then any other drug out there. Thats just because alcohol is accepted by society and used and abused by FAR more people then illicit drugs.

I don't think cannabis will be made legal in most parts of the western world anytime soon.(cept holland) IMO cannabis IS less harmful to your body then regularly abusing liquor. Problem with cannabis is that different people get different effects from it, some just can't mellow off of it. Instead they may get panic attacks, anxiety, paranoia etc etc, where as with alcohol the effects are more or less universal. Get drunk=loss inhibitions=more drinking=blackouts=embarrassing situations next morning.

Sorry rambling, I'm high.

Wow fizzacyst.... I would think that you might do a little research before you make shit up to prove a point 8o hehehehehe

The syrup itself (read: CONCENTRATED) only has 11 to 13 grams of phosphoric acid per gallon. Now maybe you have magic powers or something, but any of us mortals that drop a nail into a solution like that will still have a nail in the morning. Got any pics?

As you point out though... this is off topic so no point in continuing it, although I am still not clear on how a detailed discussion on the definition of the word "solvent" is particularly " on topic" .

At any rate... **jdude lights up the phatty and passes it along
Cheers!