• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why is alcohol worse than other recreational drugs?

What is your definition of 'worse than'? Alcohol is a very dangerous drug to both your mental and physical health but I wouldn't label it as the most dangerous drug. I can't think of a drug that is worse to your physical health than alcohol and more neurotoxic so I would definitely label it up their in the category of the most dangerous drugs. Alcohol is also linked to a large amount of violence, especially domestic. You would do many more dangerous things while drunk than you would sober but that goes for most drugs. There is also a large overdose risk. When you start to feel drunk, you forget how much you have drank and just keep going at it. Many people become dependent upon alcohol and the physical withdrawals, after long prolonged use, can be fatal, one of the very few substances that are. Benzodiazepines and Barbiturates are the only other two drugs that can produce fatal withdrawal symptoms due to seizures and convulsions. I have seen many friends fall victim to alcoholism and it is devastating, they become a different person. They aren't who they used to be and its sad. However, many people can control their drinking, in fact the majority of people can.

Yes, alcohol is a very dangerous substance when abused, but is it the most dangerous? I couldn't really say, there are many other really dangerous drugs, but it is definitely one of the most dangerous.

It seems apparrently that alcohol makes me very sad.
It is a depressant.
It has caused me more problems than any other drug.
It is less safer than pure (correct dose) heroin.
It causes more divorce than any other drugs.
Along with tobacco, is accountable for at LEAST 80% of drug deaths.
It is widely promoted and seen more acceptable than Mr & Mrs Honorable E.
Vast amounts of society seems to have been really stuffed up on it.
It causes aggression, anger, violence.
It is too readily available.
It causes blackouts and too many accidents.
It is one of the greatest tragedies of humankind.
I am very upset and sad about it, that I cry in anguish.
GOD help us please.
:|

Last edited:
Alcohol's such a superficial drug, I'm glad that shit's harmful to your health.

synthesis said:
Acohol makes me very sad.
it is a depressant.

Depressants just slow down your central nervous system, they don't necessarily make you depressed.

I agree with everything else you said though.

I am wondering if anyone has links to reports about alcohol neurotoxicity versus other common recerational drugs...?

This is a rediculous argument... All drugs are bad. It's just what side effects you prefer... In my opinion, whether you like it or not, Stimulants are 10 times worse than alcohol. it is so easy to get addicted to stimulants it's unbeleivable. You are never the same after you've been addicted to something... On that note, it takes at least 10-20 years to get truly addicted to alcohol, and there is so much help to get sober and off of alcohol, it can be done easily. The same is not true for most other drugs...... So in my opinion, in society today, alcohol is the safest drug because it is the most socially acceptable drug, therefore you have more help to get off of it than most drugs.

synthesis said:
It seems apparrently that alcohol makes me very sad.
It is a depressant.
It has caused me more problems than any other drug.
It is less safer than pure (correct dose) heroin.
It causes more divorce than any other drugs.
Along with tobacco, is accountable for at LEAST 80% of drug deaths.
It is widely promoted and seen more acceptable than Mr & Mrs Honorable E.
Vast amounts of society seems to have been really stuffed up on it.
It causes aggression, anger, violence.
It is too readily available.
It causes blackouts and too many accidents.
It is one of the greatest tragedies of humankind.
I am very upset and sad about it, that I cry in anguish.
GOD help us please.
:|

Yeah, but then how would all the ugly people get laid?

Why the fuck is alcohol always glorified? You act like a fucking fool, you are doing shitloads of damage to your body and brain (though considering I'm a regular meth user that doesn't really mean much coming from me), you are VERY susceptible to falling victim of crime and you might not even remember it, you are just in a really vulnerable powerless position with alcohol. I hate it, I'm glad I quit that bullshit.

i know a lot of you hate this. I've been grown up in a society were getting smashed is okay. i'm 17 and i love drinking. eventually alcohol will catch up to me and mabye even i'll be an addict. but who really cares because EVERYONE drinks and people will feel sorry for me if i'm an alcoholic, might i add they will hate me if i'm a drug addict.

sure opiates amphetamines and a lot of other shit is fun as hell, but nothing beats getting stupid-forget about all of your problems-relax yourself- and do WHATEVER the fuck you want to do alcohol.

many many many people get drunk because it is a true escape from the stress of living. For a few hours it makes you feel so relaxed and worry free.

this is the way i see it....

if i drink alcohol, i drink it for the "sense of well being" it provides... however, in order to get the sense of well being that i desire, i have to become completely legless/smashed/nonfunctionable.... if i decided to put the bottle down when i start to lose my coordination, id be nowhere near that sense of well being i look for....

now lets take a look at opiates (we'll use oxycodone)... i (used to) use oxycontin for the sense of well being and the euphoria it gave me... unlike alcohol, however, i can easily reach that state of well being and euphoria without becoming a complete uncoordinated, discombobulated mess....

it just seems like by the time you reach the desired effect (from alcohol), you are too intoxicated to even enjoy the effect... i might be confident when drunk, but if i cant pronounce a sentence without fucking it up, what good is it? with oxy, i can get exactly where i need to be and nobody but me will even know im on drugs...

i know im only comparing alc. to one rec. drug, but you get the point.... i judge a drugs efficiency by the ratio of positive effects to negative effects... of course, its all subjective... peace

morbyss said:
sure opiates amphetamines and a lot of other shit is fun as hell, but nothing beats getting stupid-forget about all of your problems-relax yourself- and do WHATEVER the fuck you want to do alcohol.

many many many people get drunk because it is a true escape from the stress of living. For a few hours it makes you feel so relaxed and worry free.

I'll never understand this mentality with alcohol: when I drink I feel happy for at most an hour, if I drink anymore I throw up and my stomach get's torn. Where I live, it seems like tons of people are open alcoholics and no one really seems to give a shit. I just can't fathom what is so great about alcohol... it makes you act like an imbecile and some people get really violent on it. I've never felt any sort of relief from stress off it.

Why would that be worth cirrhosis [sic] or whatever irreversible conditions?

Now opiates on the other hand, I have no idea why everyone in the world isn't an opiate user. Even when you're in the deep pits of addiction and you need it to feel normal, it still feels really fucking good (at least for myself)

Hi everyone, my first post although I lurked this fantastic forum for a while %)

My apologies for its length. I thought I might as well make my first entry a bit memorable. To me anyway... ;)

So without further ado, here are my 2 proverbial cents...

I would not go as far as saying alcohol is worst possible drug in terms of socialability, neuro-toxidity, body damage and long term effects, that arguable honour probably goes to substances like crack and heroin, but IMHO it ranks quite near the top.

Probably BECAUSE of its status of socially acceptable.

Having seen the ravaging results from alcohol abuse from closer by than is comfortable, I really had no trouble staying away from it when growing up... Where classmates got shitfaced on schoolparties, I drank a few bottles of coke (yes, the iron-dissolving liquid :D), got tired and bored and left early. Maybe not the biggest party animal, but to me it was certainly to be preferred over the obnoxious, aggressive, drooling, scream-shout-singing, puking and / or paralytic displays that some of the others turned into.

And even though my parents weren't drinkers, several people in my nearby family were, with predictable results.
Until it turned out that my mum was a closet-drinker herself.
I won't go into the details of the effects on my life, but rest assured that they were quite harsh. And that can be taken as a euphemism.

It is therefore much more a surprise that in my late teens, early twenties, I DID start on it. Oh, it is ever so sneaky. Again, probably because of its social acceptance. A few beers after work, a good glass of wine at dinnertime, business meetings over an expensive brandy or a connoisseur whiskey etc. It certainly slowly makes its way into your social life, doesn't it?

Someone mentioned being thrown out the backdoor by a couple of bouncers while smashed off their faces on alcohol.
This never happened to me, because I seem to be one of those (un?)lucky people that always knew what I was doing, no matter how much alcohol there was in my system.
Granted, I have done a few silly things due to the lowering of inhibitions to the point of non-existence, but never have I woken up not knowing what I'd done the night before.

Having actually been on the other side of the fence, meaning I've worked security extensively (and that includes nightclubs and pubs), I have seen the results from alcohol and "other recreational drugs" side-by-side.

I will deal with "other recreational drug" users over alcohol users any day.
In fact, I would much rather be up against 100 people on ecstacy than 10 on alcohol.

The E-people all love each other and if anything, they only want to hug you.
The A-people sometimes also want to hug you and then dribble all over you, sometimes nearly puke on you and

oftentimes become aggressive if they THINK you are non-responsive to the problems that they so incoherently poor out.

If you so much as look at a pretty girl, her drunk boyfriend will want to start a fight. Even if he's not really her boyfriend!
No matter how big or well-trained you are and no matter how massive your team looks, they will STILL want to fight...

If you look at a pretty girl in an E-environment, her friends -and that includes her REAL boyfriend!- will introduce you to her.

The end result?

I stopped drinking alcohol altogether; instead I have become an occasional user of ILLEGAL substances. Needless to say, I feel so much better, mentally AND physically, by doing so.

As to why the other "recreational drugs" are illegal, well, that warrants an entire discussion in itself.
However, this is not the time, nor the place to kindle that fire.

Of course, these are my own opinions, based upon my own experiences. Thanks for reading and congratulations if you actually made it through the whole text :D

\/~~\/ Michael \/~~\/