• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why is alcohol worse than other recreational drugs?

jdude3 said:
... Now maybe you have magic powers or something, but any of us mortals that drop a nail into a solution like that will still have a nail in the morning. Got any pics? ...

Of course you will. I said nothing about it dissolving overnight. Leave it in there for a week and see if you still have a nail. And I'm not talking about a railroad spike or anything, a small finishing nail. No I don't have pics. You are welcome to try it yourself, though.

And what makes you say that there is 11-13g of phosphoric acid per gallon of syrup? The snopes article? Yeah, top notch research man.

I was told by someone in a chemistry dept about the hazmat warning on the syrup factory -> distro centers. Maybe he was joking and I didn't get it. Maybe he was a dumbass and I am as well for not verifying it. my bad. (and I can't find anything to back it up. so me = dumbass).

Last edited:
fizzacyst, im sending you a warning for negative name calling on yourself.

You are not, by any means, a dumb ass.... however, you made shit up. I didn't look at snopes in particular I looked at a number of sources. The experiments (with pics), were quite helpful. Tacking nail, or 2X4, it ain't gonna disolve in coke one day or ten.

The integrity of these amazing forums is a testament to it's moderators, administrators and owners. You all do a great job! However, I think that a website that exists to disseminate accurate and informative direction for it's members, should not make shit up...

http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/chemweek/H3PO4/H3PO4.html
http://www.joshmadison.com/misc/projects/coke_nail/
http://www.breakthechain.org/awards/0307.html
http://www.selah.k12.wa.us/SOAR/SciProj99/ElisaSciProj.html
etc.. etc... this whole thing was an email hoax.

Dang I am in a really bad mood... sorry...I am done.

Arguing on the Internet is like the special Olympics. No matter who wins , everyone is retarded.

Last edited:
I want to know if this really worked for fizza. I dont see why he would blatantly lie. I would like to try this out just for shits and giggles.

Put an an iron nail, not coated with any anti-rust coating into a 2 liters of coke and wait a week. It will not be there. Ask someone at the hardware store for such a nail, and they will accommodate you. Most nails seem to be coated, or are an alloy.

The only relevant link you posted used 1/4 oz of coke, and showed some minor corrosion. 2 liters is about 66 fluid oz. Thats about 264 times as much acidic solvent. If 1/4oz shows some minor corrosion... one could assume that ~264 times as much would do a little more (and it does). This was also performed with steel nails. I can't tell how large they are from the pic.

The first link you posted is unrelated. The 3rd is some guys ramblings, and the 4th is an elementary science fair project concering the dissolution of old teeth by coke. Teeth and nails are made of different substances. Hardly convincing.

I don't want to cause any bad blood, though. You are welcome to try it if you want. If not, cool. If you want to think of me as a liar, thats cool too. Whatever works. :)

*passes virtual j.

Last edited:
Well i think most people assumed "steel nail", because they are the most common nails people have. So an iron nail will completely dissolve?

That's friggen disheartening knowing how many people drink coke on a daily basis. Ugh.

EDIT - i wasn't calling you a liar. I worded that really badly.

The coke isn't going to hurt you. If its the acidity you're worried about, its going into gastic fluid with hydrochloric acid. If you want to play around dissolving nails, put them into some HCl. They will dissolve with the quickness, and fizz like crazy... much more exciting (if dissolving nails is exciting, anyway).

I'd be much more worried about not getting enough fiber or not too much fat in my diet than the danger of drinking a bottle of coke. I guess you could choke on it, or the sugar could accelerate tooth decay.. but anything sugary will cause that problem if it just hangs around on your teeth.

You are free to call me a liar.. as stated above. Its not going to hurt my feelings or make me pissed off and kick my dog or anything. (not that I kick dogs.. terrible)

but i never called you a liar. I was just trying to point that out. I was trying to say "I dont think fizza would blatantly lie..." I mean, you're so damn knowlegable with chemistry, so it didn't make sense that you would be making that up. blah blah blah. anyways.....

Dissolving nails in HCl.. hydrocholoric acid? Is that what you meant?

yeah. its in your stomach. its also used to clean driveways, etc.

All I have to contribute is personal experiences. Alcohol has caused me more problems then any other drug I've experienced PUT TOGETHER. While my daily use of cannabis, and spooradic use of othre recreational drugs has caused relatively few if any problems, alcohol caused more problems than I'd ever like to admit. It almost destroyed my relationships with my fiance (now wife) and family. it has landed me in numerous situations that were less than fun. Alcohol has caused me to be arrested numerous times, and basically causes me to disregard all that I otherwise believe in. Of course, everything is sibjective.....i've come to terms with the fact i'm an alcoholic and no longer drink. other people with different body chemistries may be able to handle alcohol with out ill effects. I for one cannot. However, my consumption of other drugs hasn't efected me negatively to any measureable degree. For myself, illegal recreational substances seem to be much healthier for me than alcohol

I can honestly say that I've known more people that had addictions to or problems because of alcohol than anything else (not counting tobacco).

I have an aunt who is (was, I guess) a closet alcoholic. This caused all kinds of family problems. I've known a very sweet girl who lost a scholarship to a nice school and dropped out because of her abuse of alcohol. I know someone who got booted from a well paying job as an officer on a sub in teh navy because all he did was drink (was ordered not to, and disobeyed). I know a handful of people with DUI convictions, and a couple that were in serious accidents from driving drunk.

The ones that were really into it had a lot harder time quitting once they decided to, as well. I'd say they had it worse than the people I've known with coke habits, and coke cravings are not joke. You can get alcohol anywhere though. At liquor stores, at grocery stores, at the gas station, when you're out to eat, etc.

Its hard to get away from.

And if coke were offered to you at Red Lobster, or you could use your speed pass at Mobile to buy a fat sack of it along with some beef jerky?

I think it would be a lot more of an issue for people. You can run away from the coke. You might be able to find it again pretty easily, but you'd have to look if you didn't know anyone.

You are going to run across alcohol no matter what you do.

Yeah, that's my point. And I'm positive you understand this as well. It's all about availability and socail acceptance, not necesarilly the substance itself.

But then again, alcohol has one of the most predictable outcomes.

Alcohol just plain sucks. It ruins the vibe in club or wherever becuase theres always the group of assholes that find it nessessary to drink thier fuckin wieght in it. The trick they have to learn is to stop after the third cocktail and 5 prevoius shots of vodka. They get loud, start fights, and cause trouble. Fuck em. Fuck the crunk. All trouble stems from them. You never really hear of problems with a bunch of X, K, and Coke heads in a club. It feels good bein piss drunk? Yeah fuckin total bliss and euphoria as your ass is being tossed out the back door by a bunch of bouncers.

It probably depends on how long you use it as far as how bad it is for you? Drinking every now and then in moderation is not going to hurt anyone just as smoking weed in moderation every now and then will not. However if your drinking in excess and doing it every night then of course its going to have bad effects (withdrawal, liver damage, memory loss) just as an drug would have if used heavily every night (withdrawl, memory loss, potential mental problems). So I would think that drugs and alcohol are equally bad for you in excess. Alcohol has more deaths per year perhaps due to its legal status and availability as well as social acceptability. Therefore more people use it then say marijuana or cocaine? I don't know. But I do know that wherever I have worked people openly joke around at the office how much they got fucked up drinking martini's or vodka but never heard anyone bragging how waisted they got over the weekend shooting dope. Just my opionion, but I'm an idiot most of the time.

alcohol is a hard drug
alot of other recreational drugs can give euphoria without fucking you up so much
alcohol puts you basicly in a delerium, a lot of people get violent on it, alcohol is one of the worst drugs in terms of toxicity and cardiotoxicity, its not hard to overdose on it, and many dont think they are as fucked up as they really on when on alcohol

compare large doses of pot to large doses of pot or E or opiates... you should have laughed right back at the guy who laughed at you

at low doses, alcohol dosnt cause many problems, except perhaps with driving, but then again, most drugs dont at low doses

Alcohol is no worse then any other drug in my mind, perhaps to the body it is more toxic but not 'worse'. I enjoy drinking a respectable amount that won't have me drooling on myself and potentially others as well. Chronic buds work like a sledgehammer to my brain though, don't count on me doing ANYTHING for the next 4-6 hours. So I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, aye ?

We are all about 'responsible' drug use here, right ? So let me ask you which is safer ~ A nice preweighed shot of heroin or 4 shots of whiskey ?

Blahblahblahblah anything can be abused blahblahblahblah use your shit responsibly blahblahblahblahblah And don't forget to pass it to the left!

psychetool said:
We are all about 'responsible' drug use here, right ? So let me ask you which is safer ~ A nice preweighed shot of heroin or 4 shots of whiskey ?

That's entirely subjective. But i guess i would say generally speaking....whiskey. No shit.

are you injecting the 4 shots of whiskey? or eating the heroin? big difference