• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why is alcohol worse than other recreational drugs?

Worried_Sick

Ex-Bluelighter
I was having a discussion with a drug worker who laughed at me for saying alcohol is far worse than other rec. drugs.

Is he right?

Worse in what sense? What the fuck kind of question is this? How long is a piece of string? Is anybody listening to me?

It's not necessarily worse, but it does have a host of adverse effects associated with it. Liver damage being a big one, also accidental death...

It is highly addictive. It causes many, many deaths.

If the same number of people used alcohol as other popular recreational drugs, which would cause more problems overall?

Thanks for clearing that up. It all depends on how you were to use them. I know alcohol addiction is one of the toughest addictions there is, or so I've heard. On the other hand there are alot of drugs that are more powerful than alcohol which would cause problems. I don't know, I don't think anybody does.

drugs that are more powerful than alcohol

Which ones? Ethanol is some pretty strong shit if a large dose is consumed. I guess it depends on what you mean by "powerful". I would say that the intoxicating properties of ethanol are as stong as any other comon psychoactive drug.

I think it depends on individual. Some cannot handle alcohol (socially or mentally), or have a family history of it should by all means stay away from it I've seen the horror of alcoholism in a family so I'm naturally inclined to say rec drugs this is my case. Others that aren't afflicted with this alcoholism in their blood and have willpower to say enough is enough.

Should in fact choose alcohol; its legal, relatively cheap, socially acceptable, and drinking at parties will probaly get you laid more.

But there are so other drugs out there that are better. Alcohol is usaullly a last resort.

FinallyAlcohol has the deadliest withdrawels.

A rambling note you can drink and support corporate america so we can all have those awesome Kid Rock Coors Lights videos.

everyone is different with every substance

some get stupid and shit on alcohol: forget things, hurt others, hurt themselfs, alcohol poisening, arrested, loud, ect ect
and as we know alcohol is bad as fuck on the liver

but then again there are other drugs that people cant handle and do the same exact shit to them if not more.

to each their own. :) it is all an opinion

i always like to argue that alcohol is worse than most drugs like weed becuase you can die in one night from drinking to much but you can't from smoking to much pot (in a sense of overdosing) pot is probably the safest recreational drug out there...:)

bill hicks said something like how you don't see a bunch of weed smokers at a concert trying to start fights with everyone its the drunk bastards who do... heheh

^ Yeah exactly, aggression/domestic violence/depression/suicide, etc. all can be linked to alcohol which isnt always the case with a lot of other illegal substances.
On the other hand I think stimulants, especially meth is just as bad as alcohol if not worse.

well it's a solvent after all. I tend to use my solvents for cleaning grease and oil off the driveway.

ALCOHOL JUST TASTS DISGUSTING!!!!!!! Even just before I touch the glass with my lips I start to get a dry heave. I start to gag. Alcohol is pure disgusting.

Alcohol does something that most drugs of abuse don't - it saturates the enzyme that metabolizes it, so the time it remains in your system isn't dependant upon a half-life, but the time it takes your liver, going flat out, to get rid of the excess. Combine this with the fact that alcohol is much more toxic at the level required for intoxication, when compared with other drugs of abuse (alcohol is measured in mg/litre, all other drugs of abuse are in the ug to ng range - 1000 to 1000000 times less concentrated - and you've got a recipie for disaster)

some stupid stuff has been said in this thread so i'll add something stupid.

How come they taper you off drugs but cut you off from alcohol when rehabing?

Shut the fuck up dictionary. Thanks for that info fastandbulous. I visualized the whole process as you explained it. Fucking crazy.

DexterMeth said:
Shut the fuck up dictionary. Thanks for that info fastandbulous. I visualized the whole process as you explained it. Fucking crazy.

Do you really feel the need to be so rude to people? I mean, after all, this is the "Basic Drug Discussion Forum". Or is this guy a known troll?

To answer your question, Dictionary, if you're a bad enough alcoholic, yes they do "cut you off" from alcohol, but instead, use diazepam to prevent life-threatening DTs/seizures.

i was dexing pretty hard when i wrote that. I completely misinterpreted what he said. Sorry.

Yeah, Alcohol is more physically dangerous than most drugs. I think the idea that it is so harmless comes from our cultural needs. Basically, alcohol is more spiritually, cognitively, and philosophically harmless than reality altering drugs because it aids western ways of thinking. It is so appealing because it numbs our interactions in our frightening man vs. external world understanding. Other drugs tend to threaten our western ideas, and thus are socially and individually dangerous.

I could go into great detail linking alcohol to western thought and social complacents, and other drugs to eastern thought... but i think the people who can understand the correlation a\don't need an explanation, and the people who won't understand wouldn't really benefit from one.

But my basic argument is

alcohol is worse than most drugs, but convenient to western power structures like religion, education, and govt.

other drugs are usually physically safer, but threaten western ideas of the universe, and conflict with behavioral norms

Think about it.... If the highschool football team all ate acid on friday nights instead of drank, they would have identity crises and stop showing up for practice.

bleedingheartcommie said:
Think about it.... If the highschool football team all ate acid on friday nights instead of drank, they would have identity crises and stop showing up for practice.

so TRUE ahah that just made me laugh..... =D