• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos whats the best benzodiazepine for insomnia?

I am not sure prazosin is a good recommendation unless the insomnia is related to nightmares or PTSD. It isnt fully known its mechanism of action in even these cases and its effects on BP leading to orthostatic hypotension and syncope are well known.

It's temazapam, hands down!!! Take the pill and 1/2 hr later ur done for 8hrs, it was a miricle drug for me but I had to go through all the shitty z drugs first before my dr would write for them...restoril=temazepam

1. Clonazepam (feels GREAT to knock out on k-pin and sleep, and lasts over 24 hours baha)
2. Diazepam (feels amazing, and long)
3. Lorazepam (Just so relaxing, no will wake me up on Ativan)
4. Alprazolam (Not as good as other for sleeping, but still at the top for euphoria.)

Last edited:
Why exclusively benzos?

I found the best medication for my insomnia when I needed meds for it at the time was Imovane (Zopiclone). Seriously, you can't even TRY and stay awake on it, and still wake up feeling rested.

why exactly do you need so much sleep per night? 8-10 hours? a bit excessive, no? how much excercise do you get?

Temazepam is a good benzo for sleep because it's just long acting enough to allow you to get some decent sleep. However i also found it to be the only benzo (and that includes IV Valium and IV Lorazepam) to be psychologically addictive and i know more then a few people who have said the same. So if you go that route proceed with caution. I have heard Nitrazepam (brand name Mogadon) to be a good hypnotic benzo as well although it's a fairly long acting one. I have never personally taken it though.

Okay whichever one works best for you, just make sure you stick with one (benzo or z) and not use both in the long or even short run. Keep us updated!

I know OP requested benzo advice, but I'm an awful insomniac & find Mirtazapine works well.

Benzos tend to just get me to sleep, Mirtazapine keeps me asleep. Careful on the doseage though, & try not to drink alcohol as it can have awful hangover effects in the morning.

Rtp

Okay whichever one works best for you, just make sure you stick with one (benzo or z) and not use both in the long or even short run. Keep us updated!
there are tons of xanax around me in school and i do tend on taking some when i get there so im thinking of asking my doctor for xanax for sleep and use that instead of temazepam. i tried temazepam 2 nights in a row trying different dosages. one night 15 mg and the other 30mg, nothing really worked.

I know OP requested benzo advice, but I'm an awful insomniac & find Mirtazapine works well.

Benzos tend to just get me to sleep, Mirtazapine keeps me asleep. Careful on the doseage though, & try not to drink alcohol as it can have awful hangover effects in the morning.

Rtp
OP has been given mirtazapine and trazadone by his psychiatrist and nothing worked

hm well i get what you mean but whenever i use valium to sleep i wake up feeling nice and not groggy.

and valium does have a long half life, its main use is for sleeping, i guess you could go with k-pin but thats a long half life to, or xanax but its pretty short acting not sure if youd sleep through the whole night.

Valium is indicated for sleep but it's main use is for anxiety. I don't find it to be very sedating at all though even in huge doses. Clonazepam is too long acting to use as a sleep aid and isn't very sedating anyway. There are older less used ones like Halcion (triazolam) which has a very short half life and a bad rep for causing amnesia and addiction. Dalmane (Flurazepam) is weak hypnotic with a ridiculous half life of 250 hours. It's rarely used anymore because most people find that it sucks but i guess it could be worth a shot.

incase anyone was wondering. i called my doctor today, i told him how the temazepam didnt really work on me and i didnt feel anything. i also mentioned that the 2mg xanax did work tho. so we both decided to go with 2mg of xanax 3-4 times a week spaced out so i dont develop a dependence and end up having withdrawals.

another reason why i chose xanax was bc i know that i will be using it sometimes in school anyways so i didnt want to have 2 differnet benzos in my body. (for example temazepam and xanax) so since i have xanax around me anyways i decided to just get a prescription for that and take it at night.

what do you guys think?

Sounds reasonable. As you can see, there is no consensus on which is best so go with what works. I do second the vote for Halcion (triazolam) if falling asleep is the biggest issue. But many physicians are more hesitant to prescribe as it is linked to hire incidence of psychosis.

I'd go for Valium (diazepam,) probably 10mg. Idk... I've never known someone to not be knocked on their butt by Ambien. But Valium has a longer half-life than either Ambien or Xanax and if it does help you sleep, you will likely stay asleep for the full time mentioned (I chose Valium to recommend because it's peak lasts for around the time you want to sleep: about 8 hours. Even Ativan is shorter-lived than that. The only benzo that lasts longer (and SHOULD put you on your ass at a decent 1, preferably 2mg dose, but it lasts even longer and therefore causes lethargy for some the following day; I don't really have that problem, perhaps because my work/sleep schedule is different from most. Bottom line, I hope you get some sleep, because I know how unbelievably miserable, to say the least, it is to be extremely sleep-deprived, and how frustrating it can be when searching for a medicine that will work and coming up empty. But you'll find something.

I suffer chronic insomnia (along with GAD, anxiety and panic disorder, and borderine bipolar). Unfortuntely my meds made sleep meds (such as benzos) uselss. He doesnt even give me anything for sleep except a BP medicine, prosazin, for nightmares. But i WILL say the most effective sleep med I've ever had that never failed me was seroquel. I think the are starting to use its off label use; for sleep. But it will knock me slap out not matter what Im tolerant to. Even onlh 50mg of it. Ask your dr about that

Good luck to you! Having no sleep can really ruin your quaiity of life!

I see you have decided to go with xanax if it works great :) but I would recommend halcion as well triazolam is strong and will definitely knock you out!

i think its a little too late to call back and change the prescription. but now im considering valium. idk. like i said before the reason i chose xanax was because i know i would be buying some in college anyways and i dont want to mix 2 different benzos in my system if that makes any sense. i also have some social anxiety so thought maybe it cld help withh that as well