• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos whats the best benzodiazepine for insomnia?

bigmac155

Greenlighter
ill keep this short. ive been prescribed ambien 10 mg, the highest dosage and nothing worked, even the extended release kept waking me up in the night. i usually wake up way too early than i should every morning like 5 am then 6 am then 7 am and so on.

i need something that would help me knock me out and stay asleep for 8-10 hours. right now my doc prescribed me .5 mg of xanax but only the dosage of 2mg does anything to me cause of my tolerance with xanax before i used recreationally.

so whats next on the list? i doubt my doc would give me a prescription for 2 mg of xanax for sleep. is there a better benzo or specfic hypnotic that you guys have used for your insomnia and has worked over the years? something with a half like of about 6 to 12 hours?

ive heard options of temazepam before, what are your thoughts?

I recommend/advise you not to use benzodiapines for insomnia, only use it recreationally or from time to time.

Just stick with z drugs, switch to zopiclone or something. You may need to up your dose on z drugs from two weeks or so.

As far as I know, ambien is pretty potent :/

thats the thing, my first options were antidepressants at low dosages, then z drugs, but none of those worked, benzos r kind my only option i believe.

and a quick update. my doctor just called and gave me a 5 day trial of temazepam 30 mg for 5 days to see how that works compared to the xanax. was this a good move? how much should i take compared to the 2 mg of xanax i take for sleep?

etizolam and xanax...will find out about clonazolam, pyrazolam and flubromazolam in a few days (not all at once). I discovered the "0lams" are the most intense with fastest onset.

temazepam wasnt effective for me for sleep for very long. ambien worked, but eventually I was on 20mg/day (yes, I know the PDR ca. 2000 said "no more than 10mg/day despite weight/age/sex/tolerance bla bla bla) and it worked. Ambien is VERY finicky about stomach contents; if you eat it on an empty stomach, you better be practically under the sheets when you take it, and nighty-night in 5min. Full stomach, it might take 2 hours, might take 5 minutes, might not work at all. Try making sure you have a light/empty stomach whenever you take it.

Ive also taken choral hydrate (prescribed) for sleep. Doubt anyone still uses that, but it didnt work on me... maybe the old Mickey Finn needs alcohol to work lol.

A LOT of people take Seroquel for sleep now, but I think it a pretty horrible idea... kinda like IVing Heroin for a hangnail.

temazepam was a good option for me when i had trouble sleeping but after a while i didnt need it anymore
all i did was create a schedule using temazepam for around 11pm every night then slowly stopped taking it
my body just got used to it even until this day i still get sleepy around 11pm whether im relaxing or actively doing something ha

If you're set on a benzo, I would look into lorazepam. Similar to Xanax as it is short acting. I would also recommend OTC melatonin at a high dose.

I took ambient and Valium at bedtime for four years to treat my insomnia. When it was time to come off of them, insomnia was the least of my problems. So be careful and be smart.

I was started on benzos (xanax) for insomnia in college. That turned into a five year script for Klonipin. Which turned into a ten day stay at a looney bin detox. Which turned into severe rebound insomnia that led me back to a full blown heroin habit. Which then turned into an IV coke and speedball habit.

Not that that will happen to you.

But I'm just sayin'. Those little pills can be tricky fuckers if you aren't careful.

I have gotten really good results from Remeron for sleep. And I have AWFUL INSOMNIA!!!

I've been prescribed Ambien for insomnia. It helps me fall asleep but I can't stay asleep with it. Also, I feel like I'm in a fog the next day. I prefer taking Ativan. I sleep like a baby and feel relaxed and well rested the next day. Avoid benzos with a short half life (Xanex) and try valium or ativan.

^^^ agree take ativan i would take 1mg of it i would feel super shitfaced<... YMMV and i would sleep for hours on end

The absolute number one choice that everyone should recommend for actually getting sleep is triazolam or halcion. .25mg is as strong as 1.5mg of xanax and guess what, it is 1 of two benzos prescribed for insomnia! I'm on Temazepam for insomnia right now but i have trouble staying asleep not going to sleep, temazepam is the best drug if you have trouble staying asleep but triazolam leaves all the others behind if it comes to falling asleep. I was on triazolam for a 2 week time period and holy shit does it hit fast and hard, but i did find myself waking up in the night still which is when i was switched to temazepam and it keeps me asleep all night long. I hope this helps!

temazepam is what id suggest, works best for me when i really need to knock out. I find though there is a sweet spot between 30-1 hour after taking it and if you don't try and sleep during that time , it doesn't put me to sleep. I'd suggest trying it.

I've only tried Lorazpeam and Alprazolam and I'd say Alprazolam (Xanax) is definitely better for insomnia.

Although the most potent benzo for insomnia would probably be Flunitrazepam AKA "Roipnol". However as the other posters stated it is better not to use benzos for insomnia since they loose its efficiency pretty quickly and you may risk addiction.

Last edited:
As far as Benzo's go... Ativan as an AWESOME choice for insomnia. Temazepam is RX'd just for INSOMNIA, but that shit will KNOCK you out cold. WAY too strong.

But, If I were you I'd go with the Non-Benzo drug Ambien. I hear a lot of success stories of having great night sleeps with it. Yes, it's still a CIV controlled drug, but still safer than benzo's imo. Benzo's are way too habit forming and the w/d sucks!!!!!

quick update: so as of now im still lost in my choice. i took 30 mg of temazepam last night at 11 30 pm. didnt feel anything at 12 50pm so i just decided to lay down on the bed and try to fall asleep. i was asleep till 6 am when i had to piss, i fell back asleep and woke up again at 7, then at 8am till i had enough. what should i do now? if temazepam didnt really work should i go back to the xanax? whats the most strongest benzo with a typical 12 hour half life?

Temazepam (RESTORIL not RESPERIL or VISTERIL [sp?]) hands down, best benzo for insomnia. Z-drugs (ambien, lunesta etc) only knock you out quickly but don't keep you a sleep. If you don't want to go benzo route Prazosin has worked wonders for me (I had bad insomnia and when I did sleep horrible nightmares) but in the past I had temazepam when I had my lax-DR and MAN!! those things were awesomeeeeeeeeeee

Temazepam (RESTORIL not RESPERIL or VISTERIL [sp?]) hands down, best benzo for insomnia. Z-drugs (ambien, lunesta etc) only knock you out quickly but don't keep you a sleep. If you don't want to go benzo route Prazosin has worked wonders for me (I had bad insomnia and when I did sleep horrible nightmares) but in the past I had temazepam when I had my lax-DR and MAN!! those things were awesomeeeeeeeeeee
so basically u had the opposite effect from my update?