• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos whats the best benzodiazepine for insomnia?

They say Temazepam and Triazolam are the best for sleep. I've never tried either, personally, but I might get Temazepam RX'd for insomnia.

Z drugs are more suited to "can't fall asleep" insomnia rather than "can't stay asleep" insomnia. You're unlikely to find something that knocks you out for 8-10 hours that doesn't have epic side effects.

If you don't have trouble falling asleep and you're finding that you metabolise your zolpidem dose too quickly, you may want to consider splitting your dose and taking the second half when you wake up in the middle of the night. Try it when you don't have anything on the next day, tho, because you might be completely wrecked in the AM.

Stay with xanax for a short term then switch over to valium as you mentioned. People who use valiums give great reviews about it, also you said you have some sort of anxiety then it will work wonders. I also used to use valiums for general anxiety and it does the job great, sleep also. I like ir very much because when you wake up you feel clear and refreshed, no grogginess and fogginess too!

Seeing as you seem to have a decent doctor and getting legitimate prescriptions, your best bet would probably be to stick with that. However, I find etizolam (sold as a research chemical in many countries but has actually prescribed legitimately in some parts for a fair while) to be excellent for dealing with sleeping problems as, provided it's used quite sporadically, it's duration of action is really short compared to other benzo's so it rarely leaves one feeling groggy the following day but lasts long enough that it shouldn't wear off in the middle of the night.

The catch is that it takes a hell of a lot of self-control to keep the usage of RC benzo's under control as it's 100% your own responsibility and there are basically no restrictions in place - you can order as much as you like as often as you like and there's no one else there to tell you when enough is enough, let alone ration your use via prescription.

Stay with xanax for a short term then switch over to valium as you mentioned. People who use valiums give great reviews about it, also you said you have some sort of anxiety then it will work wonders. I also used to use valiums for general anxiety and it does the job great, sleep also. I like ir very much because when you wake up you feel clear and refreshed, no grogginess and fogginess too!
i like the idea but the only thing im worried about is withdrawals, i dont want to make this a long term thing but switching to valium will most definitely make this a long term thing no? i really dont want to get hooked or dependent on these but idk what else to do at this point.

last night i went solo on the drugs and i pretty much woke up every hour, it was dreadful. safe to say im taking a bar tonight

UPDATE: last night i took 2mg of xanax at 1am. went to sleep at 2am. i guess i woke up like once or twice and fell back asleep. but when i tried to get up at 10 am i couldnt. i wanted to keep going back to sleep. constant yawning and grogginess. i thought this wasnt supposed to happen because xanax has a short half life? that was one of the main goals for my doc, to prescribe me with a benzo with a short half life so i dont feel groggy in the morning and yawning all day. its been 3 hours since i woke up and im still yawning!!

was i misinformed about the half lives and how it effects you the next morning? im really confused now as to what works best. overall out of the suggestions from above, the most common answers were temazepam, valium, ativan, and xanax. but from what i understand ativan and valium have a pretty long half life, so wouldnt that make me even more groggy and tired in the morning as compared to the short half life of xanax?

2mg of Xanax is a very high dose - especially taken all together. Maybe try .5mg and see how you feel. If you need more than .5mg or 1mg of Xanax, then look elsewhere before it's too late.

Also, I second the Valium recommendation. I made the switch from Xanax to Valium and found it to be a huge improvement.

Finally, since I've been using Benzo's (Xanax, Valium, Klonopin, or whatever), I find that I really need caffeine in the morning. It's a side effect you'll have to get use to, accept, and work around.

I agree with Gyrospeck....2 mg is way too much...maybe 1 mg would help the grogginess, but that's a common side effect.
I now take etizolam...about 2 mg a night..has about 3 hr, half-life,

be careful the two Moreish benzo's are the two I love...Xanax and Etizolam

Stay safe...keep updated

Estazolam is very much like alprazolam, it has the same powerful anxiolytic, but it's more hypnotic and around twice less potent on a weight basis, very good to put you to sleep. I guess it was the first strong benzodiazepine that I got hooked on. But I guess it's not available in too many countries.

@ Adder....Etizolam is fairly easy to get in us from the us, cheap blisters too. Are you in the states?

Stay Safe, we both seemed to have learned from benzo's...but the struggle is real

Benzos only work short term, then they make your problems worse.

Diet & exercise is the long term solution.

or cannabis...

Let me guess, you never had insomnia before you took xanax. Why do you think more of the same will help?

Benzos only work short term, then they make your problems worse.

Diet & exercise is the long term solution.

or cannabis...

Let me guess, you never had insomnia before you took xanax. Why do you think more of the same will help?
well to answer ur question. i smoke weed everyday, some might say that thc actually becomes a stimulant in ur sleep, as well as alcohol. i know the alcohol part is true but im not sure about thc. and no i had insomnia before i started taking xanax.

ill update u guys on the grogginess when i take 1 mg tomorrow. (dont wanna be taking this everyday and be dependent on it). btw, thats another question i have. will i be dependent on it if i take it lets say 3 times a week spaced out? not in a row

ill update u guys on the grogginess when i take 1 mg tomorrow. (dont wanna be taking this everyday and be dependent on it). btw, thats another question i have. will i be dependent on it if i take it lets say 3 times a week spaced out? not in a row

Before I say this Jesus Christ is my lord and savior

WILL I be dependent on it if I take 3 times a week spaced out?

ANSWER: no matter what your "plan" is your entire life will revolve around these pills. Eventually. Even JC with all his powers would eventually be taking them everyday....Something about benzos and humans and the stressful lives we all live. Most addicting drug on earth? I vote a resounding YES

Good luck, tread lightly and keep us updated

Yes, at first no maybe but down the trick your gonna be dependent on it! Idk really, currently I use valium twice a week, one in the weekend or Friday and one on Monday sometimes I use it once a week and this has been going on for 4 months and I don't think I'm addicted to it, especially using it for sleep.

If you use xanax once a week you definitely won't get dependent / addicted, twice probably not but three times errrrr I can see it become habit forming. But then again it's all in your mind.

Consider immovane or seroquel or z drugs pretty much, imo I think that'll be better than xanax or benzos for sleep, long term.

Oh and I used to smoke weed everyday for three years when I was in high school and when I haven't discovered hard drugs lol, no harm in sleep at all even brain function.

Surprised the discussion went beyond Etizolam, it's simply brilliant for insomnia and is available in various countries on prescription.

The drug changed my life. From 3 hours sleep a night to 7-8....that's one hell of a difference. Dose 1mg if you find yourself waking up early dose 2mg if you do wake up it's still very much in your system and you get back to sleep again very easily.

Use usual precautions though, do not use with alcohol, do not exceed the maximum daily dose. Use how it prescribed and it'll do the trick.

Last edited:
I have been prescribed all benzos available in the US at one time or another. By far the best to put me to sleep and keep me asleep is XANAX XR (time release aprazolam). Only down side for me is it can take up to two full hours to kick in.

Just my two cents but IMO halcion is the best drug to assist in troubles which involve falling asleep. Short half life helped in the fact of not feeling dazed and confused upon awakening. Down side for me is they were extremely addictive and caused a lot of amnesia. Also insurance only will cover 10 pills per month period. I understand if the doctor calls and speaks with them they will up the dose on quantity covered called Step therapy. Not in my case. It is not meant to be taken long term or everyday per FDA and the insurance company told the doctor no. I was however allowed to pay for the other twenty cash.

Only life threating side effect I experienced was occasionally doing something and not remember. Amnesia/black-outs caused by a drug is not the same as if you get really drunk and only remember pieces. You will remember nothing! Now I never woke up on the other side of town at a bar or party. The onset was way too quick. However on several occasions I have woken up the next day to see I cooked something to eat, payed a bill or had sex. I always woke up in the place I took them but never got far. They hit like a train. We have a modest 4000 sq ft home that has been my playground.

Sorry for the long post but just wanting anyone who is planning on starting these to have as much info as possible. This is a VERY potent benzo and will have you in its grasp before you know it. I know there are handful of people that this drug won't work for because of how every drug effects us all differently. For all the rest all I can say is moderation. At my request doctor has since taken me off the .25mg halcion and switched me to 30mg Restoril (temazapam). This has been much more suited for my situation.

Last edited:
Surprised the discussion went beyond Etizolam, it's simply brilliant for insomnia and is available in various countries on prescription.

The drug changed my life. From 3 hours sleep a night to 7-8....that's one hell of a difference. Dose 1mg if you find yourself waking up early dose 2mg if you do wake up it's still very much in your system and you get back to sleep again very easily.

Use usual precautions though, do not use with alcohol, do not exceed the maximum daily dose. Use how it prescribed and it'll do the trick.

Agree. Don't use daily anymore, but still pretty frequently. I guess I'm lucky, but no dependence for me, so I make a point to skip days to try and prevent that from happening in the first place. My sleep schedule is just naturally shitty, always has been. I've been manageing but the few etizolams a week really help, especially to maintain my sleep schedule. Nice little buzz the next morning but no xanax level brain fog. I do love xanax too, its right behind etizolam for me. Only things I dislike are the slightly longer onset and the brain fog the next day. Its pleasant but a bit annoying when I have things to do.

Saw clonazolam a few times, not sure what the general consensus is but I do not find it sedating in the slightest.

Things clonazolam is good for (in my opinion):
-intoxication, can be very strong
-wild sex with your partner
-some euphoria, similar to alcohol euphoria
-blacking the fuck out from one pill
-amnesia
-extreme disinhibition
-jacking your clonazepam tolerance and rebound insomnia and anxiety, especially after several uses

Shit's crazy, very fun in the right setting but its incredibly strong, so please only use with people you absolutely trust. Never was a huge fan of clonazepam for sleep either. Etizolam is king and xanax is queen for insomnia, at least as far as the commonly available benzos go. Try taking them with some benadryl and/or melatonin. When I really need to knock myself out, I do the following:
3mg etizolam
50mg diphendydramine
5mg melatonin
Couple grams of weed

Gone to the earth for the next 8 hours, wake up feeling like a queen.

I agree that Xanax would be queen in that scenario. I have never tried etizolam so can't comment there. I am also prescribed 2mg Xanax three times day. When the doctor asked why not just add one Xanax per day and take that one as a sleeping pill. I explained to him I was worried I would trick myself into thinking it was time for bed In middle of the day or they wouldn't effectively help me sleep because I would ultimately get confused if it was time to sleep or go back to the day. Now I don't know if that makes any sense at all. Probably not, but he let me try halcion which as you can read above didn't work so great for my situation and I have settled on the 30mg temazapam.
I have been seeing same doc for years and have a repore with him. This may sound crazy but I explained to him I would at least like to be able to weigh in on the drugs I would be taking that are directly affecting me. I told him I understood he doesn't have time for a customized plan for each patient but that I felt I could help customize mine personally. He must have agreed with me, or at least not totally disagreed, because he at least makes me feel that I am part of the process. For instance when the halcion wasn't working out he simply asked if I had done my research. I said that I think temazapam would be a good fit. I now take temazapam once daily. I actually did do the research (half life, starting dose, what the goal was for such as falling asleep or staying asleep)etc) and feel it was worth it for sure. Now if I would have asked for iv'd midazolam I would have been discharged in a heartbeat but like I said I no longer abuse medication and also don't feel like breaking that trust bond I have worked years to achieve. This may sound crazy but it's working for me.