• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc What's something that makes you want to get sober?

Starting to think it's the kinda high dose baclofen. Im using addictive meds to pain related problems but even I have prescriptions to take large doses I just tend to go lower. I have been here in bl when things looked dark and i thought I was addicted to opioids.

I used to take something extra like once a month before the baclofen. Now in last two years I think I have taken shrooms twice for medicinal purposes.
I heard baclofen can be very helpful for opiate withdrawals. I wonder if its more effective than methadone or suboxone?

I don’t really think in terms of sobriety. When it comes to taking drugs or drinking I think in terms of my behaviour and my life goals.

If something makes me behave in a way that negatively impacts my self-respect I’ll want to avoid that substance. Same if taking something impedes my progress towards achieving a small number of important goals.

That’s meant that at different times in life a given substance was ok for me and at other times unsuitable. Where I sometimes come undone is when using the substance makes me forget what my goals were. Or cease to care about them.

Curiously the effect on my health or my wallet has never really factored into decisions to start, stop, or continue taking a given substance until very recently.

I don’t really think in terms of sobriety. When it comes to taking drugs or drinking I think in terms of my behaviour and my life goals.

If something makes me behave in a way that negatively impacts my self-respect I’ll want to avoid that substance. Same if taking something impedes my progress towards achieving a small number of important goals.

That’s meant that at different times in life a given substance was ok for me and at other times unsuitable. Where I sometimes come undone is when using the substance makes me forget what my goals were. Or cease to care about them.

Curiously the effect on my health or my wallet has never really factored into decisions to start, stop, or continue taking a given substance until very recently.
I feel the same way.

I heard baclofen can be very helpful for opiate withdrawals. I wonder if its more effective than methadone or suboxone?

It's totally different. There's now emerging lots of studies for using very high dose baclofen for all sorts of addictions. Mainly alcohol as baclofen is targeting mainly gaba-b, but also cocaine and many other stuff.

Methadone and subuxone are just substitutes as they are opioids too. I'd say baclofen would need a lots of new studies as the ones using high doses have been super promising.

By high dose i mean 300mg as the max here is 80mg and 100mg in hospital care. I felt it suppressing my crawings even at 50mg.

I'm saying this very seriously! If you want to try to take less of anything, give high dose baclofen a chance. I have no idea can it even be prescribed for the reason in most parts of world.

It has some very strange effects at higher doses. Doses which should cause coma and death if looked on pharmacology books. Ofc start slow. I'm no expert. When given directly to spinal fluid it is a whole different thing and very dangerous, so if someone has issues with their cns it might be deadly.

It doesn't cause me classical withdrawals but I never have stopped it abruptly. It has some serious wd symptoms for some regardless of dose which leads to psychosis and even death if stopped abruptly. I'd say call an ambulance if abruptly stopped baclofen and body temperature starts raising or mental status changes.

I'm saying this very seriously! If you want to try to take less of anything, give high dose baclofen a chance. I have no idea can it even be prescribed for the reason in most parts of world.

It has some very strange effects at higher doses. Doses which should cause coma and death if looked on pharmacology books. Ofc start slow. I'm no expert. When given directly to spinal fluid it is a whole different thing and very dangerous, so if someone has issues with their cns it might be deadly.

It doesn't cause me classical withdrawals but I never have stopped it abruptly. It has some serious wd symptoms for some regardless of dose which leads to psychosis and even death if stopped abruptly. I'd say call an ambulance if abruptly stopped baclofen and body temperature starts raising or mental status changes.
so, on a harm reduction forum, your advice is to take doses of a drug which pharmacology books say could cause coma or death and can cause psychosis or death upon withdrawal?

Are you for real?

BL is about reducing harm, not promoting it

so, on a harm reduction forum, your advice is to take doses of a drug which pharmacology books say could cause coma or death and can cause psychosis or death upon withdrawal?

Are you for real?

BL is about reducing harm, not promoting it
Maybe read about it? Most drugs can cause coma and death. I'm more then for real! How many studies on baclofen/addiction you read before writing that?

I put those warnings as they are possibility but mostly for people in baclofen pumps.

This is the best harm reduction thing I can think of for those it works!

Maybe read about it? Most drugs can cause coma and death. I'm more then for real! How many studies on baclofen/addiction you read before writing that?

I put those warnings as they are possibility but mostly for people in baclofen pumps.

This is the best harm reduction thing I can think of for those it works!
This is a thread asking what makes you want to get sober.

3 weeks sober here.

I shall break this prison cell by eating a ton of adderall and ascending into adderall Grinch mode. :cool:
Congratulation!! May I ask sober from what? I have been off alcohol for awhile , and now 3 days off opiate ( some would say week NORCO 10/325) but after slowly increasing to daily use over 10 years, it is not Pleasant to stop!!
Keep up the good fight

This is a thread asking what makes you want to get sober.
And i responsed baclofen. That's my experience and by internet many others too. I understand your point but I wasn't prescribed baclofen for addiction but for spasticity. Wanting to get sober came with it.

After that I studied it a quite a bit. So even it's meant that responses are like losing everything in life makes me want to get sober, baclofen is what did it for me.

Sorry! I was actually trying to help

Are you considered sober if you are on bupe.?
Yes, as a very old AA and now NA , who was totally the 12 way of life is the ONLY way to get sober!! I have matured in to:
a Harm reduction model
( I still do 2 zoom meetings a day , It where all my good friends are, I do not hang with Active folk.
I have been to too many funerals, and seen the Huge Damage it has done. Stay alive any way you can!! Keep up the fight everyday.
Womb to Tomb !! I have not found no matter how many meetings,$$$ spent on therapy,Self help. you can add all you want on to this list, has Removed my addictive brain , Its how I am wired.
I only get to take actions each day on how I will react , and life with it

Last edited:
Sober from what exactly?

All drugs have their own unique effects and affects on our wellbeing/personality.

I use to do a lot of meth & it took moving away from it to stop doing it completely.
But I'm also an opiate/heroin addict and actually love the effects they give me and I receive positive mental health benefits from them (provided I don't have to withdrawal).
I also quit alcohol & realize how boring of a buzz it is and how gross it feels and how it makes people act stupid. Never looked back and never crave alcohol.

So one part of me says it's good to get sober from drugs that are causing you tremendous harm, if you can do it.
But the other part of me says sobriety is just a shitty moral idea manufactured by society and the masses and it's a standard that not everyone can live up to.
So people should have the right to use drugs if they feel they can function and handle them & receive positive benefits from doing so, without pressure from society to stay "clean".

Sober from what exactly?

All drugs have their own unique effects and affects on our wellbeing/personality.

I use to do a lot of meth & it took moving away from it to stop doing it completely.
But I'm also an opiate/heroin addict and actually love the effects they give me and I receive positive mental health benefits from them (provided I don't have to withdrawal).
I also quit alcohol & realize how boring of a buzz it is and how gross it feels and how it makes people act stupid. Never looked back and never crave alcohol.

So one part of me says it's good to get sober from drugs that are causing you tremendous harm, if you can do it.
But the other part of me says sobriety is just a shitty moral idea manufactured by society and the masses and it's a standard that not everyone can live up to.
So people should have the right to use drugs if they feel they can function and handle them & receive positive benefits from doing so, without pressure from society to stay "clean".
That's what I was trying to say with my baclofen posts. It can give peeps a chance to get out of destructive use of many substances. I just want to feel ok with as low side effects as possible.

That's what I was trying to say with my baclofen posts. It can give peeps a chance to get out of destructive use of many substances. I just want to feel ok with as low side effects as possible.

Having an opioid & thc accessible to me daily keeps me from going back to drinking & messing around with other dangerous drugs. I don't mind having an opioid dependence if it makes my life better. Having a chemical dependence is less of my concern than my quality of life is. A lot of addicts use drugs to self medicate and while a lot of these people may do better sober, there are some like me who benefit from using drugs. So getting sober would actually be worse for me.

I just wanted to add @Real santa from Finland that I'm glad Baclofen helps. I've read it has great use in interrupting alcohol addiction/dependence.
And I can see how you were just trying to help spread the knowledge of it's use as it can help others. ;)

I tried baclofen at one point but it did not do anything for me. And I have also read that baclofen can rewire your brain in a way over the long term that it can stop you from getting euphoria from other drugs. So I'd rather not risk losing that ability to feel that for myself personally.

Waking up with anxiety and diarrhoea if I sleep more than 8ish hours.
This is precisely why I don't want to be sober. If I'm sober I only sleep about 5 hours a night and have to wear myself out with nonsense. If I'm on something, I can sleep 7 hours at night and feel refreshed in the morning and also function better. I guess I'm fucked, hehe ;)

Only the cold grip of death can take me away from drugs

It's totally different. There's now emerging lots of studies for using very high dose baclofen for all sorts of addictions. Mainly alcohol as baclofen is targeting mainly gaba-b, but also cocaine and many other stuff.

Methadone and subuxone are just substitutes as they are opioids too. I'd say baclofen would need a lots of new studies as the ones using high doses have been super promising.

By high dose i mean 300mg as the max here is 80mg and 100mg in hospital care. I felt it suppressing my crawings even at 50mg.
At the most, I take 200mg of oxy or 300mg or morphine. I wonder if I could benefit from baclofen?