• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

What's Good On TV? V. Saul Changed His Number

I realise I'm gonna be shot down in flames for this but I completely disagree with your assessment of Stacey Dooley. I actually think she makes excellent docs, comes over as a very sincere interviewer and shows real compassion for her interviewees. I don't agree with many of her overall conclusions but she doesn't seem overly concerned with the bigger picture so much as she is with the individuals she meets. Even here I find it's mainly the drug topics where this is most obvious.

Her sex topics seem more balanced. I put this down to the fact she has presumably had sex whilst having no direct experience of drugs. She shows great sympathy to victims of the sex trade as well as those caught up in addiction but it is clear she has a definite preconception that drugs are probably intrinsically bad - any other viewpoint simply isn't on her radar. This can certainly make her drug docs frustrating at times and her conclusions on drugs in general are facile and ill-informed. However, the care and empathy she shows on the basic human level shines through clearly to me. I'd say it probably comes down to what aspect of the issues you are most interested in. For me her docs are about people not about sex and drugs as they are packaged.

Last edited:
Oh she's had sex alright......I can personally vouch for that :)

I think you just shot yourself Shammy so I won't bother. However, yours isn't my favourite comment on Stacey. The following sums her up best.

I enjoy her programmes. I like how she isn't scared. And she gets right into the middle of things. Also, I love her hair.

I find her general cluelessness quite charming.....

And she's got lovely hair...:)

Last edited:
I realise I'm gonna be shot down in flames for this but I completely disagree with your assessment of Stacey Dooley. I actually think she makes excellent docs, comes over as a very sincere interviewer and shows real compassion for her interviewees. I don't agree with many of her overall conclusions but she doesn't seem overly concerned with the bigger picture so much as she is with the individuals she meets. Even here I find it's mainly the drug topics where this is most obvious.

Her sex topics seem more balanced. I put this down to the fact she has presumably had sex whilst having no direct experience of drugs. She shows great sympathy to victims of the sex trade as well as those caught up in addiction but it is clear she has a definite preconception that drugs are probably intrinsically bad - any other viewpoint simply isn't on her radar. This can certainly make her drug docs frustrating at times and her conclusions on drugs in general are facile and ill-informed. However, the care and empathy she shows on the basic human level shines through clearly to me. I'd say it probably comes down to what aspect of the issues you are most interested in. For me her docs are about people not about sex and drugs as they are packaged.

Shammy fancies Stacey!! :)

Stacey once asked me to appear in one of her shows. She didn't believe that a man could shove a watermelon up his arse...unfortunately while demonstrating my anal watermelon skill i got hit with a bout of gas which resulted in said watermelon with faecal seasoning being launched out of my rectum and luckily it just missed Stacy's head but it did put the cameraman in hospital. So unfortunately i lost my chance at fame...
I am sure other opportunities will arise for you brother..

Perhaps unfortunately I can't even hide behind having a crush on her. About as far from "my type" as it's possible to get. As I said, it really depends what you take from them. If you want hard-hitting, investigative journalism then... no. As windows on the lives of people in fairly extreme circumstances they're very good imo. Horses, courses, innit.

Watching the series Oz for the first time it's like a drama thing inside a U.S. Prison pretty brutal well worth a watch though recomended.

Is better call Saul worth watching?

Any other good series to watch for me?

I thought the jail drama Oz was one of the best dramas HBO has done in a long time and i watched it religiously when it was on TV weekly back around 2003 or so. A few months back i got every episode off the net and it took me about a month but i watched every episode from the first season to the last.

I watched the first two episodes of better call saul but i didn't get into it at all, Just wasn't my kind of show. That said i never got into breaking bad which is funny as i love smoking meth.

The best series i've seen made by netflix is easily Narcos. I wish they would hurry up and make the second season as i've heard they have had delays due to some of the actors of the first season being unavailable.

IF you have access to getting tv series's off the net i recommend getting the 80's British made drug/crime drama series "Traffik" It's six episodes and is what the American made 2000 film Traffic was based on. If you liked the American made Traffic you would really enjoy the British original.

For the last few years my most enjoyable American tv series to watch has been the original Law and order which had 20 seasons running from 1990 to 2010. Law and order was very well made with good story lines and twists in the plots that keep you interested, even if it isn't that accurate a legal drama(that's what my cousin in america told me, he studied law at college) .

I also like banged up abroad as it's called in the UK and Australia or locked up abroad as it's called in the US. Locked up abroad is based on real life stories of people who get into legal problems while overseas and as the saying goes fact is sometimes more interesting than fiction.

Think I'll stick on House of Cards season 3 shortly.

Really enjoyed the first 2 series- I am hoping and expecting the quality to stay the same (or even improve). I really enjoy the pace and the style of the show.

Has anyone watched Spin (French political thriller on More4) any good?

If you enjoy House of cards try getting the original 80's British series which has the same title. Naturally the American version of house of cards is based on the British original and a friend of mine swears the pommy version is way better made. Which is saying something seeing how popular the American version is.

IF you have access to getting tv series's off the net i recommend getting the 80's British made drug/crime drama series "Traffik" It's six episodes and is what the American made 2000 film Traffic was based on. If you liked the American made Traffic you would really enjoy the British original.

Watched the original version of Traffik again fairly recently and it stands up well. Excellent series. Agreed on Oz too. One of my alltime favourite TV shows. Likewise with House of Cards (not seen the US version to compare). I found the first season of Better Call Saul watchable but fairly forgettable. Good in places but if the second season doesn't pick it up a bit I doubt I'd bother with a third.

I quite like some PBS documentaries. I'm in Australia and we sometimes get them on a show called four corners or we can stream them on line. Four Corners on Abc tv network is a great current affairs show in it's own right with it's own Australian produced content plus american and english produced content.

The last interesting doco i watched from PBS frontline was the Chasing heroin episode that went into the heroin epidemic that has hit the US and in-particular the ease at which pain killers like oxy's were made available a few years ago that introduced a whole wave of middle class Americans to opiates and thanks to lax prescription's enforcement and other reasons oxy's became the most abused medication the US has ever seen. Naturally these oxy's addict's moved on to street heroin. That isn't the only topic in the chasing heroin doco they also talk about law enforcement and drug court's that operate in Seattle. Seattle is a more progressive city when it comes to the heroin problem and law enforcement treat heroin use as a health issue and the cops don't go round arresting small time heroin users for possession the way more conservative american cities police do.

^^ theres a few good documentaries on YouTube about the US heroin epedemic spawning from the overprescribing of opiate pIlainkillers in the 00s and 10s ....oxycontin express being one which springs to mind ....

One look at the North American Drug Discussion forum shows the reality of this as it's basically just a huge collection of regional heroin threads......

I read that when the OC version of oxy was stIill available it went for up to $0.5-$1.0 per mg which is like up to sixty quid for an OC 80!!

When I think back to the amount of oxy I was being scripted 10 years ago and do the sums as to how much that would cost of the US black market it's just mind boggling....no wonder many turned to heroin as it would just be unsustainable to have a several hundred mg a day OC habbit over there....the introduction of those new useless OP oxycontin pills just cemented the decision for many to move over into smack while people who need the med for terminal pain suffer.....all the while the US government sit back and scratch their heads wondering where this heroin problem came from......crazy. ...

^^ theres a few good documentaries on YouTube about the US heroin epedemic spawning from the overprescribing of opiate pIlainkillers in the 00s and 10s ....oxycontin express being one which springs to mind ....

One look at the North American Drug Discussion forum shows the reality of this as it's basically just a huge collection of regional heroin threads......

I read that when the OC version of oxy was stIill available it went for up to $0.5-$1.0 per mg which is like up to sixty quid for an OC 80!!

When I think back to the amount of oxy I was being scripted 10 years ago and do the sums as to how much that would cost of the US black market it's just mind boggling....no wonder many turned to heroin as it would just be unsustainable to have a several hundred mg a day OC habbit over there....the introduction of those new useless OP oxycontin pills just cemented the decision for many to move over into smack while people who need the med for terminal pain suffer.....all the while the US government sit back and scratch their heads wondering where this heroin problem came from......crazy. ...
I find the op oxy fine as a slow release pain killer. Sure you cant get around the slow release but it still works for pain relief. I am surprised you guys still get the oc version over there. Its been OP here for some time. Maybe they dont work quite as well as i never tried the oc version but the op 40mg tablets i have definitely knock severe pain on the head. Combined with paracetamol and some ir oxy for breakthrough pain they are definitely effective.

Consumer, can you compare the analgesia of oxy 40mg and methadone please? I find methadone to be amazing.

Consumer, can you compare the analgesia of oxy 40mg and methadone please? I find methadone to be amazing.
No as i have no experience with methadone either taking it or clinically as a nurse. It is not prescribed in my experience for analgesia in Australia. Englandgz74 will however be able to give you advice.

Converting any opiate to and from methadone is very difficult even for pain management clinics as variations in metabolism of methadone and it's subsequent halflife vary tremendously from person to person.

Try googling an opiate conversion table but be aware that it's only a guideline and start with the smallest possible dose and work up. I remember being titrated from methadone to fentanyl was a total guessing game ....

Edit....methadone as well as being a mu agonist is also a NMDA agonist and so is particularly effective at treating pain of a neuropathic nature.

Last edited:
I find the op oxy fine as a slow release pain killer. Sure you cant get around the slow release but it still works for pain relief. I am surprised you guys still get the oc version over there. Its been OP here for some time. Maybe they dont work quite as well as i never tried the oc version but the op 40mg tablets i have definitely knock severe pain on the head. Combined with paracetamol and some ir oxy for breakthrough pain they are definitely effective.

I just remember reading somewhere that the tablet polymer matrix sometimes gets shitted out with a lot of the drug unmetabolised and pain patients were complaining. I guess it very much depends on what you are used to. If you've only ever been prescribed OPs then they would probably be fine. The problem seemed to be with People who had been on OCs for 10+ years and the switched. They seemed to report that the dose wasn't equivalent.

Some of the threads on here regarding attempts to beat the OP anti abuse matrix are mind boggling and seem to involve mainly the use of power tools :)

I just remember reading somewhere that the tablet polymer matrix sometimes gets shitted out with a lot of the drug unmetabolised and pain patients were complaining. I guess it very much depends on what you are used to. If you've only ever been prescribed OPs then they would probably be fine. The problem seemed to be with People who had been on OCs for 10+ years and the switched. They seemed to report that the dose wasn't equivalent.

Some of the threads on here regarding attempts to beat the OP anti abuse matrix are mind boggling and seem to involve mainly the use of power tools :)
Yeah i have read some of them. Microwaving them then using a mortar and pestle was one i read. I dont think there is any way around the slow release. They may well be less effective but not having ever had oc version i cant say. They definitely still work though. Especially with paracetamol and IR oxy for breakthrough. Maybe the op 40's are as effective as the old op 20's. Its all we can get here so its kind of irrelevant to me. The other choices are ms contin, targin and hydromorphone. Its all horses for courses but for me when my back is fucked its oxy both er and ir, paracetamol and valium. That combination always works for me.