• Guest, Welcome to FESTIVUS

What is the weather like where you are this holiday season?

Right now it's 55F and sunny. Christmas day is forecast to be 74F with 50% chance of rain.

Do all you people who live in snow areas have to use chains on your tyres all winter?

hahaha... no. A lot of people buy "winter tires" on steel rims to use for winter. They are designed to get better grip on snow and ice. I, myself just stick with my all season tires; they work fine if they're not worn right down. No one is allowed to use chains; they would rip up the road pretty bad and you couldn't drive fast. The only place I've seen tire chains is on tractors and ATVs.

We aren't stranded in the winter Maz. We have snowplows that keep the roads clear. The snow plows also spread a mixture of sand and salt on the road. Sand for traction and sunlight absorption, salt to melt the ice and snow. Road salt is actually calcium chloride.

Oh I LIKE driving in snow.
It is the other assholes I don't care for.
Donuts in a parking lot rule!
*sigh* I am a hillbilly at heart.

Hells yeah! :D

The river out back of my house is steaming.

Yeah, the river here has been steaming a lot too. We'll likely get good ice this year if it keeps going the way it's been. It's been a pretty cold December if I may say so myself.

Last year we had cold temps and a lot of snow. The problem with snow on ice is that it acts as an insulator. Snow presses down on the ice, causing water to get pushed up through the cracks. The water then mixes with the snow making a bunch of slush that is covered by snow; insulating it from freezing.

This sucks major balls for snowmobiling/4-wheeling on the ice. The ice may be a foot thick but when you hit a slush spot it feels like you're sinking and you can even get stuck in one of those slush pits. There's lots of ice so you wont fall through but it certainly sucks when you hit one of them.

Heavy snowfall isn't good for ice conditions but it's exactly what I want for snowboarding conditions.

Having a cold winter with little snow is great for river ice in terms of snowmobiling and ATVing. I love taking my ATV on the ice. It's a sport ATV, rear wheel drive, light, lots of power. It's such a rush ripping through a channel in a marsh (which have "S" curves) on bare ice at full throttle in top gear drifting around the corner. Just sliding around a channel curve on an open sheet of ice at 100km/hr... ahh freedom :)

Oh I LIKE driving in snow.
It is the other assholes I don't care for.
Donuts in a parking lot rule!
*sigh* I am a hillbilly at heart.

Woo hoo!!! As a New Englander this is my sentiment exactly.
This is the first white Xmas I've seen here in all my life- I am loving it!<3

It's been a bit cloudy over Christmas in Auckland, NZ. But it's still nice and warm.

Maximum of 25 degrees celius (77 degrees fahrenheit) today. :)

i had sweat running down my ass crack on christmas day at the in-laws. fuck you florida, and fuck you old people who don't like to use AC

Today it rained all day and you'd never know we had a white Xmas -like two feet of snow all gone .

Its about 32 degrees and it snowed last night but now it is all gone due to the Rain that we have revived this afternoon.

Snow. Will be for three days, been for three as well.

When I was a child (~13), My best friend and I walked out on a pond with a hammer and a screwdriver. We wanted to see how thick the ice was beneath us, so we chiseled the ice to see in reality how thick it was....

Not by much.

Tonight, let me be as fortunate.

No snow, lower 40s during day upper 30s during night. Occasional dips into the 20s at night

Freezing here. Had trouble starting the van, and couldn't get the sliding door open. Light snow on the ground and cold weather promised for the next few days.