• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What do you put in your cereal/oatmeal?

For a cow to be providing milk, it either had to have been given hormones to trick its body into thinking it's pregnant, or it had to have given birth recently. Let's assume it was the latter of the two, since the "small family farm" wouldn't be giving the cow hormones.

After the cow gives birth to its calf, the farmers have a choice: Are they going to bottle feed the calf with formula, or are they going to let the calf drink what it is meant to drink (it's mother's milk)? (Or are they going to sell the calf for veal and avoid the whole issue of having to decide what it's going to drink?) If they let it drink its mother's milk, that means very little milk for you and I as that calf drinks a lot of milk to grow to be 800+ pounds!

Oh, and on that note, cow's milk has what's called "bovine growth hormone." This is the hormone that helps grows a baby calf to 800+ pounds in such a short time. I inquired in a nutrition course about the effects of this hormone on humans--The professor laughed off my question and said that the hormone is protein based and therefore gets digested in the stomach.

However, her salary is in a way funded by the USDA. Of course she wasn't about to tell the class, who in the future are supposed to uphold the USDA Food Guide standards (one of which includes dairy!), that cow's milk is indeed bad for us.

If ethics are a motivator not to drink milk, if you don't believe the mumbo jumbo I've just typed, feel free to send me a PM (this goes for anybody reading this)--I've already strayed well far away from the topic of what I put in my oatmeal. :p

Where did you read this from? From what I've read many of the problems come from all the toxic shit that they pump into cows, and denatured proteins due to pasteurization. I would suspect that raw milk from a good clean source would be much better.

I don't really eat cereal but would probably use almond milk, I don't really like the taste of regular milk if it is pasteurized at high temperatures.

I was meaning to cite my sources because I knew someone would eventually question what I was saying. I must also admit that I made a generalization that milk interrupts all mechanisms, when I had only researched milk and chocolate. I have written a paper on the effects of chocolate on health and it came to my attention that milk prevents a lot of the benefits that chocolate can otherwise incur.

Here is an excerpt from my paper:

<<When examining the literature released on the possible health effects that chocolate can incur, researchers often use dark chocolate or chocolate that has a high amount of cacao solids and no dairy additives. Research is also done on pure cacao liquor or powder. The reason that researchers avoid chocolate that contains dairy is because dairy has been shown to negatively affect the antioxidant mechanism. The following study conducted by Serafini et al. (2003) recruited 12 healthy volunteers, 7 women and 5 men with an average age of 32.2±1.0 years, an average weight of 65.8±3.1kg, and a body mass index of 21.9±0.4kg/ m2. The volunteers were also non smokers, had normal lipid levels, and were not taking any vitamin or drug supplements. The experiment had a crossover design and the subjects consumed either 100 grams of dark chocolate, 100 grams of dark chocolate with 200 ml of whole milk, or 200 grams of milk chocolate. An hour after ingestion the total antioxidant capacity of their plasma was measured by FRAP assay (ferric reducing antioxidant power). The subjects who ingested only dark chocolate had their plasma antioxidant levels increased from 100±3.5% to 118.4±3.5%, which then returned to baseline after four hours. The individuals who consumed milk chocolate alone or dark chocolate with milk saw no significant change in their plasma FRAP values. This is evidence that when milk is added, either during the manufacturing process or during ingestion, the antioxidant activity of chocolate is inhibited because milk hinders the absorption of flavonoids into the blood stream. Research was conducted by Charlton et al. (2006) on why flavonoids have their metabolism, absorption, and bioavailability modulated. Scientists looked at plant polyphenols, such as those found in chocolate and their relationship to proteins. Their research suggests that inhibition of polyphenols, such as flavonoids, which specifically occur between chocolate and milk, can be due to the fact that milk proteins form secondary bonds with the chocolate flavonoids. >>

Sources:

Serafini, M., Crozier, A., Bugianesi, R., Maiani, G., Valtuena, S., & Santis, S. D. (2003). Nutrition: milk and absorption of dietary flavanols. Nature, 424, 1013. Retrieved November 2, 2010, from http://eprints.gla.ac.uk/131/1/Crozier,A_2003.pdf

Charlton, A., Baxter, N., Khan, L., Moir, A., Haslam, E., & Davies, A.,…Williamson, M. (2005). Polyphenol/Peptide Binding and Precipitation. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 50(6), 1593-1601.

vanilla hemp milk, peanut butter, and maple syrup on any granola cereal is one of the manliest breakfasts you can eat imho. so much protein and the chewing alone is a great jaw workout!

I was meaning to cite my sources because I knew someone would eventually question what I was saying. I must also admit that I made a generalization that milk interrupts all mechanisms, when I had only researched milk and chocolate. I have written a paper on the effects of chocolate on health and it came to my attention that milk prevents a lot of the benefits that chocolate can otherwise incur.

Here is an excerpt from my paper:

<<When examining the literature released on the possible health effects that chocolate can incur, researchers often use dark chocolate or chocolate that has a high amount of cacao solids and no dairy additives. Research is also done on pure cacao liquor or powder. The reason that researchers avoid chocolate that contains dairy is because dairy has been shown to negatively affect the antioxidant mechanism. The following study conducted by Serafini et al. (2003) recruited 12 healthy volunteers, 7 women and 5 men with an average age of 32.2±1.0 years, an average weight of 65.8±3.1kg, and a body mass index of 21.9±0.4kg/ m2. The volunteers were also non smokers, had normal lipid levels, and were not taking any vitamin or drug supplements. The experiment had a crossover design and the subjects consumed either 100 grams of dark chocolate, 100 grams of dark chocolate with 200 ml of whole milk, or 200 grams of milk chocolate. An hour after ingestion the total antioxidant capacity of their plasma was measured by FRAP assay (ferric reducing antioxidant power). The subjects who ingested only dark chocolate had their plasma antioxidant levels increased from 100±3.5% to 118.4±3.5%, which then returned to baseline after four hours. The individuals who consumed milk chocolate alone or dark chocolate with milk saw no significant change in their plasma FRAP values. This is evidence that when milk is added, either during the manufacturing process or during ingestion, the antioxidant activity of chocolate is inhibited because milk hinders the absorption of flavonoids into the blood stream. Research was conducted by Charlton et al. (2006) on why flavonoids have their metabolism, absorption, and bioavailability modulated. Scientists looked at plant polyphenols, such as those found in chocolate and their relationship to proteins. Their research suggests that inhibition of polyphenols, such as flavonoids, which specifically occur between chocolate and milk, can be due to the fact that milk proteins form secondary bonds with the chocolate flavonoids. >>

Sources:

Serafini, M., Crozier, A., Bugianesi, R., Maiani, G., Valtuena, S., & Santis, S. D. (2003). Nutrition: milk and absorption of dietary flavanols. Nature, 424, 1013. Retrieved November 2, 2010, from http://eprints.gla.ac.uk/131/1/Crozier,A_2003.pdf

Charlton, A., Baxter, N., Khan, L., Moir, A., Haslam, E., & Davies, A.,…Williamson, M. (2005). Polyphenol/Peptide Binding and Precipitation. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 50(6), 1593-1601.

The Serafini et al. study is interesting, however I wish they would have used a more appropriate sample size!!

^ I had always heard not to combine fruits with anything, to eat 'em alone. Asked about it in class: Professor said it was an old rumor with a long shelf life. :p Maybe one of these days I'll ask another professor, see if they say anything different. Your source isn't very credible, no offense. (Though my professors aren't very credible some of the time, either. 8))

Your source isn't very credible, no offense. (Though my professors aren't very credible some of the time, either. 8))

None taken, i've been getting into it for the past few months and found I have much more energy, and yes fruit should be eaten before meals, not with or after.

That source is just the first thing I found when googleing, I couldn't be assed to find any more sources, just wanted to plant a seed for people to read more into it. :)

^ Just because many places talk about it still doesn't make it credible. I read it in a book published in the 80s, does that make it credible? Absolutely not. You gotta do what works best for you: If you've found that eating fruit before meals makes you have a lot more energy, by all means go for it. :)

Forgot to ask about it in class today. Maybe I'll remember on Friday.

i made some bomb oatmeal yesterday. it was a packet of vanilla kashi instant oatmeal made with water and a little skim milk, chopped up apple, and craisins. I microwaved it all together and put a bunch of cinnamon on top. damn it was good.

My oatmeal is usually filled with the following goodness:
ricemilk
peanut butter / sun butter
raisins / prunes / dried fruits in general (strawberries, raspberries, etc.)

Steel cut oats rule. I don't do rolled oats anymore. It just doesn't taste the same.

Normally it's a base of quinoa or millet heated with almond milk. For extra goodness I'll sometimes use honey, agave syrup, walnuts, or pecans. Occassionally I'll add some dried pineapple, raisins, dates, or papaya.

im my oatmeal i like a lil' bit of milk, some sugar, maybe cinnamon powder and raisins.

or sometimes chopped apples or mash in some bananas.

Last edited: