• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What do you put in your cereal/oatmeal?

My steel cut oats cook in basically the same amount of time as regular oatmeal... maybe a minute or two longer. The Bob's shit in a bag...

when you guys put peanut butter in your oatmeal do you just mix it in? or is it just like a blob sitting on top? that sounds really good.

^ Most of the time when I put PB in, it's just a blob on top, but it is equally as good all mixed in.

As far as steel cut oats taking forever, just cook a bunch in advance--They'll keep for about a week in the fridge apparently.

I had always heard not to combine fruits with anything, to eat 'em alone
Not to get too far OT but does that hold true for mixing fresh fruit into plain yogurt too? I mean, I can eat plain yogurt plain but it's so much more palatable with some fruit. If not whole fruit, would fruit juice be okay?

^ Most of the time when I put PB in, it's just a blob on top, but it is equally as good all mixed in.

As far as steel cut oats taking forever, just cook a bunch in advance--They'll keep for about a week in the fridge apparently.

I'm not into refrigerating leftovers. Are steel cut oats that much better for you than rolled oats? What do you guys think? What are some of the positives you can list?

The nutrition of both are basically the same in print, but people who like eating less-processed foods tend to go towards steel cut oats since steel cut oats are just cut in half. Rolled oats have been cut, flattened, and then steamed. (For those who are interested, there's also "oat groats" that are oats that haven't been cut.)

SCO's are also a lot more filling than rolled oats. For me, I'd eat 3/4-cup (dry measure) of rolled and feel not-quite-satiated... I'd eat 1-cup (cooked measure) of SCO's and feel very full.

SCO's also have a bit of a nutty flavor. They're also more chewy.

If your aversion to refrigerating leftovers is the use of the microwave, SCO's heat up very well on the stove in a bit of water.

OH, also: I read a little while ago (can't find the same link now though unfortunately... if I do, you'll see it here!) that you can soak SCO's overnight, and they'll cook in a couple minutes in the morning. Maybe look into that.

The nutrition of both are basically the same in print, but people who like eating less-processed foods tend to go towards steel cut oats since steel cut oats are just cut in half. Rolled oats have been cut, flattened, and then steamed. (For those who are interested, there's also "oat groats" that are oats that haven't been cut.)

SCO's are also a lot more filling than rolled oats. For me, I'd eat 3/4-cup (dry measure) of rolled and feel not-quite-satiated... I'd eat 1-cup (cooked measure) of SCO's and feel very full.

SCO's also have a bit of a nutty flavor. They're also more chewy.

If your aversion to refrigerating leftovers is the use of the microwave, SCO's heat up very well on the stove in a bit of water.

OH, also: I read a little while ago (can't find the same link now though unfortunately... if I do, you'll see it here!) that you can soak SCO's overnight, and they'll cook in a couple minutes in the morning. Maybe look into that.

Interesting, thanks for the input. I did so more researching myself and what you have said is quite on point. Regarding the soaking overnight... haven't found anything useful about it, but i'll see. I might just suck it up and eat SCO even though it takes longer. Everything about its taste/texture I like better... and the only thing stopping me is that I was thinking I can make other food for everyone in the time I can make SCO for myself (living with siblings), but maybe I can just make enough SCO for everyone and force them to have it instead, ha!

^ Here's some info. on soaking SCOs. :) Sure, it's just a quick tidbit, but yeah. I'm going to try it this week--I'll post back how it went.

Lol, yeah, you could make other stuff for your siblings while waiting for your oats to cook, or you could do prep work for other meals while waiting for the SCO's you'll force your siblings to eat. :P Like this morning, I peeled some garlic and chopped an onion (in addition to eating some fruit :P) while waiting for my SCO's to cook. First time I've made 'em successfully, too! :)

Not to get too far OT but does that hold true for mixing fresh fruit into plain yogurt too? I mean, I can eat plain yogurt plain but it's so much more palatable with some fruit. If not whole fruit, would fruit juice be okay?

i've read fruit is optimal on an empty stomach, as it absorbs quickly and is most efficient. but i think "should" is going too far. it depends on goals and convenience.

the devil is in the details. fruit is fruit, and it's awesome. there's almost no way you're doing any "harm" by mixing fruit w/ yogurt or what have you.

I'm not into refrigerating leftovers.

me neither, but i don't notice a difference wrt steel oats.

Are steel cut oats that much better for you than rolled oats? What do you guys think? What are some of the positives you can list?

id been eating rolled oats for 2-3 years, and one day of steel and i'm never going back. more filling, better taste. i like the texture more as well. lower glycemic load. i always work out hard after oatmeal (although i'm changing that, as i've read it is optimal to consume complex carbs after workout) and i had more energy for longer after steel v rolled (although there's always placebo to account for).

So I finally cracked and bought steel cut oatmeal. First time I made them I added butter, raspberries, bananas, and cinnamon...the raspberries weren't so great with the oatmeal and for some reason the oatmeal came al dente lol.... like they stayed fairly hard.. and I made sure to cook them like the directions said. I am cooking them again tonight... hopefully they are softer this time. I definitely didn't taste any nuttiness, which was disappointing. Adding butter was a great touch though, not too much though, just maybe like half a tbsp of organic clarified butter.

Wow... much better this time!!! so yummy!
It came out softer and I also added apricot preserve to the SCO, great addition, worked well with the raspberries!

Last edited:
Glad you're enjoying the SCOs! I have finally made them successfully, lmao. They are delicious this morning with nothing added to 'em. :D

^ If you've got a decent blender, and an old cotton t-shirt / pillow-slip, you're good to go. I highly recommend it, as I doubt you'll ever buy nut milk again if you make a batch yourself.

Here's how I make almond milk (and any other nut / seed milk for that matter):

1. Take two cups raw almonds, put them in a large bowl, and juuuust barely cover them completely with (filtered) water.
2. Let them soak for a good two hours. Can soak overnight.
3. Strain and rinse almonds.
4. Put almonds in blender, along with two cups of filtered water (or more, if you can't get them to blend well).
5. Line the inside of your large bowl with the cotton t-shirt (rinse it out first to make sure it's clean), and pour the resultant pastey mess into the t-shirt.
6. Fold the shirt over the goop, and twist the shirt to squeeze it dry.

You should have a bowl full of grade-A almond milk at this point, but to yummify it even further, you can add a little sweetener, a couple drops of vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt.

The ultimate vegan cereal / oatmeal companion!

^ I don't know if my blender is good enough, but I'm going to have to try this! That is SO simple! Thank you. :D

Now if only I had nuts in the house. :p

This is what I do every morning:

Three Vita Brits (or Weetbix) -> add milk -> add a couple of teaspoons of strawberry jam -> mix it all up nicely -> add heaps of Sultana Bran -> continue mixing and enjoy! The best part is adding just enough milk so that the Vita Brits will absorb all of it and you'll have no leftover milk in the bowl when you're done :D.