• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Trouble Peeing on Opiates: Urinary retention issues Q&A Megathread

peeing problem???

Um, I know this might be TMI, but WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY do I have an insanely hard time peeing when I take opiates/opioids? I took a large amount of poppy pod tea today and I had to pee really badly but despite even pressing on my bladder I couldn't get it to come out!!! WTF?!?!?!:?

This is common when using opiates/oids. Sitting down always helped me but assuming you're a girl you're probably doing this already. Over the years I've learned to sort of meditate and relax the muscles to force the urine out. Splashing some warm water on your hands/genitals also seems to help.

Thanks, I'll try the warm water trick next time!!! I was really frustrated. And yes I'm a girl.

awwwwww i HATE THIS! what i do is turn on the sink and shower.. then lean sort of to the right and it should come out a few squirts at a time.. good luck! before i reshoot or take anything i always try to pee first. have fun =)

I always have to run the faucet and listen to water in the sink before i can pee.on opioids, esp since having suffered some kidney infections. But as everyone else has said, this is a common side effect and does not necessarily indicate any problems with your kidneys. Just sit there and try to.relax, run the water, press a bit on your abdomen if that helps.
What type of opioids are you on and at what dose btw?

Urinary Retention with hydrocodone prevention possible(?)

Hello all,

I was wondering if it would be possible to prevent the urinary retention effect of the opioid by taking a muscle relaxer(Cyclobenzaprine) to relieve the spasms which cause the retention? Cyclobenzaprine is sometimes prescribed to stop muscle spasms, so I'm curious if this combo might actually have a benefit such as that. I am also aware that Flexeril potenates opioids as well.

Anyone have any tips for the dreaded urinary retention, other than not taking the drug?

Last edited:
We have a whole megathread here on urinary retention from opiates. It is a common thing and not much you can do about it. The more used to the opiates you get, the less it will happen. Taking lower doses also helps.

Sometimes sitting down helps, splashing warm water on your dick, whatever.

I'm gonna merge this with the megathread and you can read through that because this has been discussed a lot.

Thanks Mr. Scagnattie.

Yeah ive been catheterized twice from morphine, don't touch the stuff anymore.
I take hydrocodone on rare occasions(yearly about), and its kinda nerve-racking each time to a degree. Ive tried drinking water non-stop during my past experiences and I've always managed to squeeze it out during the experience. Im not drinking anything during this experience though. We'll see.
One strange thing about the morphine is that the retention usually strikes 1-2 days after you take it, at least in my experience.

Hello all,

I was wondering if it would be possible to prevent the urinary retention effect of the opioid by taking a muscle relaxer(Cyclobenzaprine) to relieve the spasms which cause the retention? Cyclobenzaprine is sometimes prescribed to stop muscle spasms, so I'm curious if this combo might actually have a benefit such as that. I am also aware that Flexeril potenates opioids as well.

Anyone have any tips for the dreaded urinary retention, other than not taking the drug?

I don't think that muscle relaxers would help since I don't think that spasms are the issue. I know that the CNS depression caused by opiates causes bodily functions to slow down and that's what causes it I think. I know that constipation from opiates is due to it slowing down the function of the walls in your intestines which prevents them from moving your bowels down at a normal rate. I would imagine that urinary retention is caused by a similar mode.

I too have had specific problems with morphine in regards to it causing urinary retention. I had surgery after having to drink 3 pitchers of that radioactive drink for a scan, so between all of that and the IV fluids I had such horrible urinary retention from the morphine post-op. When I was finally able to go I filled up a 1 liter container, then filled it up over half way after the nurse emptied it for me. At first I had to massage the urine out of my johnson, but after a few minutes of finally being able to go I had a steady stream that went on for the longest time.

Count by threes.
It also kinda helps me judge how high I am.
When you get into the threehundreds you know your fucked up.
Usually by 72 or so I can.
Worked for a buddy of mine.

Doesn't work for busting that nut though. Never thought I would be the one faking an orgasm.

Problems urinating on high amounts of opiates

Anyone else ever experienced problems peeing when on a highdose or any dose of opiates before. Once I get into a very high dose (if painis real bad) 80 to 100mg of hydromporphone I cant pee. Anyone else have such aproblem or know why? Thanks……

I have the same problem it's fucking horrible and has pretty much ruined opiates for me.

HAHA yeah when I'm high on heroin and can't pee I sit down and I sometimes nod out lol and can't remember if I peed or not then go lay back down (cause it's always in the middle of the night and waking me up) and then realize I didn't pee and repeat process... but if you sit down and focus on what it actually feels like when pee leaves you and focus on that feeling you'll be okay.