Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Triple J Hottest 100 - 2007

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
To vote, go here:

http://www.triplej.net.au/hottest100/vote/

So who did you vote for and why?

...and because I haven't had enough of people bagging out my shitty taste in music, here are my mine ;)

Angus & Julia Stone - Hollywood
Hilarious song, especially the part where she sings about how "they all would have been killed in The Sound of Music" with such enthusiasm.

Angus & Julia Stone - The Beast
My favorite of the year.

Arctic Monkeys - Fluorescent Adolescent
Only highlight from an otherwise disappointing second album

Bloc Party - Hunting For Witches

Chemical Brothers (Feat. Midlake) - The Pills Won't Help You Now
I couldn't go past the drug reference :) My favorite from the best album the Chemmies have put out in a while.

Cut Copy - Hearts On Fire
Even better live!

Groove Armada - Things We Could Share
If ever a song was written to close a dance festival...

Powderfinger - Nobody Sees
Just because they're still around, decent album, decent song.

Riot In Belgium - La Musique
Support local munters (DJ's), Joel is okay.

Nick Coleman - Faces Of Meth (T-Rek Remix)
Another couple of local munters, really solid dance track, should be a big year for it.

Mind you this would change in a month's time as I do most of my listening to local music in January.

This thread caters to my interests in a big way and i shall post a better response soon

Alright I've narrowed it down to 46 songs.

Bag Raiders - Fun Punch
is going to be in my top ten for sure. I've seen them DJ a couple of times, they are talented, Australian, and this song rocks. So they deserve some attention.

Booka Shade - Numbers
This is a bit average by Booka Shade's standards. However it was the only track by them in the list.

Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger (live)
I remember hearing this in the lead up to the DP concert. Great track. Even better being there.

Chemical Brothers - Saturate

Simian Mobile Disco - I Believe

Digitalism - Zdarlight or Pogo
Even though I grew tired of them long ago, they are great tracks, and I did love them enough to play them to death in the first place. They were kinda average live, sound problems.

Modest Mouse - Dashboard or Florida
I'll probably vote for Dashboard, since it is the more likely to get more votes. So I may as well add my vote to that one.

The Shins - Australia

Hilltop Hoods - Recapturing the Vibe (restrung)

Plan B - More is Enough

hoptis said:
Chemical Brothers (Feat. Midlake) - The Pills Won't Help You Now
I couldn't go past the drug reference :) My favorite from the best album the Chemmies have put out in a while.

this is a great track. the album seems overrated by the dance afficionados and underrated by everyone else; for me it's somewhere in between. it's good (and i actually like the salmon dance), but it's nothing on the chems' best stuff imo.

my shortlist - 'cause i still haven't narrowed it down. i didn't add anything to the pre-determined list because if i had it probably would've been twice as long.

Arcade Fire - Intervention
don't love this album, but this is classic arcade fire: slow build, great payoff.

Architecture In Helsinki - Heart It Races
probably number two or three for the year, for me. incredibly infectious and i *always* have to turn it up and shout along.

Battles - Atlas
incredible shit. it's very unusual and it's also the shortest *feeling* seven minute track i've ever heard.

Bjork - Earth Intruders
vintage bjork.

Bonde Do Role - Solta O Frango
i remember the first time i heard this like it was yesterday. fee played it on triple r. i'd just finished work and it was 7am. the news had just been played. i was half-dozing when that strange, squirty sounding beat came on, and i sat bolt up-right in bed. it actually, i kid you not, brought tears of joy to my eyes. i love love love it like a small, dead baby. number two for '07.

Bright Yellow - Nice And Agreeable
layered, melodic rock with lovely grungey sounding guitar.

Brunettes - B.A.B.Y
i *must* hear this at a festival one day.

Bumblebeez - Rio
when they can stand up, these guys are among the best talents in australia.

Chk Chk Chk - Must Be The Moon
i caught on to these guys too late.

Claude Vonstroke - The Whistler
fidget house ftw.

Cold War Kids - Hang Me Up To Dry
well, this was my favourite album of '06 so it's a bit late really, but i'm actually still listening to it. along with kings of leon and the strokes, i think these guys are one of the most talented rock bands in the world. fell in love after i saw them on letterman a couple of years ago. this song's lyrics are very touching too.

Cold War Kids - Saint John
less emotionally confronting than the above, but still a wonderful track.

Common (Feat. Lily Allen) - Drivin Me Wild
if you're a rapper and you haven't tried to get lily allen as a guest vocalist you're an idiot. catchy as shit hook, and astute lyrics as common has always had. also there's an ok go reference regarding their treadmills :)

if this counts as an *album* this is the best album of 2007. these mixes are astonishing. i didn't get the album till around september, but it's by far my most listened to set of tracks in itunes for this year.

Dizzee Rascal (Feat. Lily Allen) - Wanna Be
more lily. i'm still undecided about this as an album - common's and kanye's are both better - but dizzee is always a grower. big day out!

Ghostface Killah - You Know I'm No Good
winehouse is the shit and this is the perfect complement.

Hot Chip - Shake A Fist
my piano is good but not great, but this is perfect from my favourite ugly electronica peeps.

I Heart Hiroshima - Punks
the rest of their stuff is not near this standard, but these guys are cute and this song's a great pop-rock track.

Jamie T - Sheila
proof that chavs have feelings too. and they can even write good poetry. and sing!

Justice - D.A.N.C.E
considering this is my favourite electro album this year it's strange that i chose the two least-electro based tracks, but justice just makes damn good party music.

Justice - The Party
like i said.

Kings Of Leon - On Call
maybe kol's weakest album but still, probably, the best rock release this year. it's like saying shannon byrnes is the worst geelong premiership player.

Klaxons - It's Not Over Yet
anyone who hates on new rave 'cause of fluoro should Just. Listen. To. This. Track. and cry.

LCD Soundsystem - North American Scum
best electro album this year. this man does no wrong. and this is very very cute while at the same time being ear-rapingly good.

M.I.A - Boyz
like the below...

M.I.A - Paper Planes
absolutely no mix set worth its salt has gone without one of the above two tracks all year. i have seriously heard this in just about everything this year. the boyz/atlas (see battles, above) mash-up by diplo is crazy shit, but paper planes is the most amazing thing i've heard all year. it's my favourite track this year. easy.

lostpunk i was disappointed with your close mindedness. not only is mia an amazing lyricist and musician (complemented by her respective producers, diplo then switch), but she's politically astute, heartfelt, and intelligent. this has all of that, and the catchiest fucking chorus this side of an oompa loompa.

Mark Ronson (Feat. Amy Winehouse) - Valerie
is there a better cover going around? anyone who likes good music NEEDS to listen to mark ronson's radio show/podcast. it's called authentic shit. i love the man.

Muscles - Ice Cream
just catchy and cute.

Muscles - Sweaty
see above. but the guy is cool, too.

Pj Harvey - When Under Ether
completely weird. great.

Regina Spektor - Better
bloss0m told me about respekt a few years ago, and *all* her early shit is great, but this is proof that if you need a music recommendation, you should ask bloss.

party! dance!

Samim - Heater
this track has balls enough to be odd, yet it's still kind of formally simplistic. can someone who knows music theory explain how this works? i really love it.

Soft Tigers - Mr Ice Cream
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun.

White Stripes - Icky Thump
best. riff. ever.

White Stripes - You Don't Know What Love Is
vintage white stripes. just a great, cheesy but not cheesy rock track. so simple but great.

Zeph & Azeem - Play The Drum
reminds me, unsurprisingly, of jay-z's classic hard knock life. it's brilliant, still.

I've had so much trouble voting this year. Which is no different from any other year really. I'm quite proud to say that I'm down to 12 already even tho I 1st built my short list last week some time.

Gyroscope - Snakeskin
Hot Lies, The - Emergency Emergency
Kisschasy - Opinions Won't Keep You Warm At Night
Klaxons - It's Not Over Yet
Knife, The - Like A Pen
Krafty Kuts Vs Freestylers - Dynamite Love
Operator Please - Get What You Want
Pendulum - Blood Sugar
Regurgitator - Blood And Spunk
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Sealings

Karen O so wants me. I can tell.

I'm leaning towards removing Krafty Kuts and The Knife. I feel especially bad about removing The Knife tho cos I think that song is hugely under rated.
I've tried to include a lot more Aussie stuff this year. It was a conscious decision, I'm getting more patriotic about my music in my old age.

onetwothreefour said:
M.I.A - Paper Planes
absolutely no mix set worth its salt has gone without one of the above two tracks all year. i have seriously heard this in just about everything this year. the boyz/atlas (see battles, above) mash-up by diplo is crazy shit, but paper planes is the most amazing thing i've heard all year. it's my favourite track this year. easy.

lostpunk i was disappointed with your close mindedness. not only is mia an amazing lyricist and musician (complemented by her respective producers, diplo then switch), but she's politically astute, heartfelt, and intelligent. this has all of that, and the catchiest fucking chorus this side of an oompa loompa.

It's not close mindedness, I listen to lots of different types of music. I'll admit I haven't heard anything else of hers but I think that track is terrible and a disgrace to the song the music of it was ripped from.

that was my point; you're not normally close minded at all, so i was sad to see you being so in this particular case.

it's one thing to dislike a song (and there's nothing wrong with that), but it's another thing altogether to basically rip on it because you seem to find the very idea of sampling distasteful. it's been considered a valid musical tradition since hip-hop first began.

Which is why I prefer hip hop artists like The Herd who are musicians and not thieves.

Personal opinion of course :)

My list is freaking ridiculous. I can't cull. I feel personally responsible for the loss of revenue these bands will experience if I cut them from my own list. :|
I've been working on it since the 2nd. Blargh, it's not going to get any easier is it?

A-Love - Love Is
Baggsmen - Bubblegum
Bliss N Eso - Bullet And A Target
Butterfingers - Nothin' Much Happens
Hilltop Hoods - Recapturing The Vibe (Restrung)
Katalyst (Feat. Stephanie McKay) - Say What You Feel
U.N.K.L.E - Burn My ShadowUrthboy - We Get Around
Muph & Plutonic - The Day Off (Remix)
Scribe - Say It Again

Is pretty obvious what my favorite genre of music is by this list :)
I wont go into detail but these songs stand out far beyond the rest for me.

Thank UNKLE tune is one that I have recently got into. What a great band.

:D

Is the prize this year a "golden ticket" instead of all the feature albums? Did I hear that correctly? Sounds like a fucking awesome prize, even better than all the feature albums which I used to think was the best prize ever.

Win 2 tickets to any concert, festival, or event that is supported by triple j for the remainder of 2008, happening anywhere in Australia. That isn't 2 tickets to just 1 concert, festival or event. That's 2 tickets to as many as 100 concerts, festivals or events taking place this year

ME WANTEE!!!!!1111eleventywon =D

Yes! Thats the Golden Ticket of which I speak! :D =D

Atleast C0TB won't be in the draw, thats one less person to contend with :D

my casting vote was...

Birds Of Tokyo - Black Sheets
Birds Of Tokyo - Wayside
Mammal - Slaves
True Live - Keep Myself Awake
Regina Spektor - Better
Scribe - Say It Again
Pendulum - Blood Sugar
LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends
DJ Jazzy Jeff (Feat. Jean Grae) - Supa Jean

Isn't it cool how nearly every song in the running doesn't suck. It's really just a matter of voting for your genre.

Go JJJ !

i've got too much hip-hop and b-more but stiiiiiiiiiill you should vote for all the genres.

though, like i said, i could add a bunch to the list, the only one missing from my top five is sweaty wet dirty damp by gameboy/gamegirl; considering the station's been going more mainstream lately, they still have plenty of diversity if you dig deep enough.

no jazz though :(

After compiling an extensive short list I have had a severe conscience attack trying to cull to ten.

Angus & Julia Stone - Wasted wouldn't have made it if not for a stary-sky recital at a recent festival.

Bluejuice - Vitriol - Soul organ for the record!

Claude Vonstroke - The Whistler- annoying enough to want to shhhhh people and turn it up louder.

DJ Jazzy Jeff (Feat. Jean Grae) - Supa Jean- Jeanie, Jeanie, Jeanie.... enough said.

Foo Fighters - The Pretender- driving song of the year.

Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger- Can't wait until the crowd start singing this at Stamford Bridge

Kings Of Leon - Fans - As was said earlier, probably their weakest album, but still damn fine.

Liam Finn - Second Chance - rest of this album was a bit weak, but the classy genes shine through on this one.

M.I.A - Paper Planes - Moment of the year was driving with the kids and all being busted by the cars at the lights, fingers guns in the air, blasting the traffic, singing along. Better than Hi-5. Favourite song of the year

Mark Ronson (Feat. Lily Allen) - Oh My God- diffucult to choose the favourite, .....Feat. Lily Allen of the year. Sorry Dizzie and Common.

My shortlist is anything but. :|
I think I fail. In a big way. These are all of my absolute favourite tracks from the year, harshly culled;

Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass
Air - Once Upon A Time
Akron/Family - I've Got Some Friends
Angus & Julia Stone - Hollywood
Architecture In Helsinki - Heart It Races
Arctic Monkeys - Fluorescent Adolescent
Beck - Timebomb
Behind Crimson Eyes - Shakedown
Ben Kweller - Penny On The Train Track
Bjork - Earth Intruders
Bloc Party - Hunting For Witches
Chemical Brothers (Feat. Klaxons) - All Rights Reversed
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Satan Said Dance
Cog - What If
Cold War Kids - Hang Me Up To Dry
Darren Hanlon - Fingertips & Mountaintops
Decemberists - O Valencia!
Digitalism - Idealistic
Faker - This Heart Attack
Feist - 1234
Fratellis - Creepin Up The Backstairs
Future Of The Left - Small Bones Small Bodies
Ghostface Killah - You Know I'm No Good
Hilltop Hoods - Recapturing The Vibe (Restrung)
Hot Lies, The - Emergency Emergency
Interpol - The Heinrich Maneuver
Josh Pyke - Fed And Watered
Justice - D.A.N.C.E
Justice - The Party
Kanye West - Flashing Lights
Killers, The - For Reasons Unknown
LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends
M.I.A - Paper Planes
Mammal - Slaves
Mark Ronson (Feat. Daniel Merriweather) - Stop Me
Mars Volta - Wax Simulacra
Midnight Juggernauts - Twenty Thousand Leagues
Modest Mouse - Dashboard
Muscles - Chocolate, Raspberry, Lemon & Lime
Muse - Knights of Cydonia
Nine Inch Nails - Survivalism
Number Station - Way We Live
Peeping Tom - We're Not Alone
Presets, The - My People
Puscifer - Queen B
Queens Of The Stone Age - Sick, Sick, Sick
Radiohead - Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Robyn - With Every Heartbeat
Serj Tankian - Empty Walls
Shins, The - Phantom Limb
Sia - Pictures
Silverchair - All Across The World
Silverchair - Low
Silverchair - The Man That Knew Too Much
Simian Mobile Disco - It's The Beat
Soft Tigers - Karate
Something For Kate - The Futurist
Spoon - My Little Japanese Cigarette Case
Tegan And Sara - The Con
Tokyo Police Club - Nature Of The Experiment
Tori Amos - Big Wheel
Trentemoller - Moan (Remix)
True Live - Keep Myself Awake
Talib Kweli - Listen!!
U.N.K.L.E - Burn My Shadow
Urthboy - The Signal
Ween - Learnin To Love
Whitley - I Remember
Wombats, The - Let's Dance To Joy Division
Young And Restless - Police Police
Zeph & Azeem - Play The Drum

^Please everyone, give me valid reasons to get rid of some of these? Such as Tori Amos once kicked a kitten, etc.

Well Kanye West did pee on that 15 year old, didn't he?