• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

There is no real point in life.

Oh, to the poster. Hi Waffle.
As in for-itself type consciousness, as in being, nothingness in being, lack of point being…

Last edited:
Op,

After using things like DMT and nitrous oxide or opiate nods, I feel like life has no point.

I know what it is to die, and I know what it is to have fun.

When I was little I asked my parents why I couldnt see rated R movies. They said, theres nothing wrong with them, but if u see them now, you will be bored and alienated when you are the right age.

Thats what meditation has done to me. There is no point because at the end, theres nothing new.

Music has 8 notes. Sex has x number of positions. Then thats it.

Reminds me of a modest mouse song, "this is a long drive for someone with nothing to think about."

Eat chipotle everyday, it sucks. Then a big mac is better.

Its the ebb and flow of reality.

After seeing reality deconstruct on a plan, some things seem less important.

If there is no point to life than there is no point in discussing if there is a point to life.
It is wholly pointless.
Actually it is a word I can't
express because for something to be pointless a point must first exist.
At best one can believe the point in life is to do your best to not have a point.
To not discover a point.

Feel free to substitute "meaning" for "point"

Good point, for something to have meaning does there need to be an observer to make it so? Is observer observed?
Is there meaning, or a point without humans finding points? Or something to point to?
If a tree falls in the forest etc ...

Last edited:
Thats what meditation has done to me. There is no point because at the end, theres nothing new.

Music has 8 notes. Sex has x number of positions. Then thats it.

Reminds me of a modest mouse song, "this is a long drive for someone with nothing to think about."

Eat chipotle everyday, it sucks. Then a big mac is better.

Its the ebb and flow of reality.

After seeing reality deconstruct on a plan, some things seem less important.

I sometimes feel the same way.

Like there's not much left to learn and I also find it hard to engage myself with things and idenitfy with experiences. I just find it hard to take reality seriously but then I've always looked at it a bit like a dream. Things are very dream-like to me, and even more when I'm sober.

Drugs can also help bring you closer to reality and find more interest in it.

Good point, for something to have meaning does there needs to be an observer to make it so. Is observer observed?
Is there meaning, or a point without humans finding points? Or something to point to?
If a tree falls in the forest etc ...

No bs, reminded me a lot of what Jim Carey went on about like last yearish.

Personally, i thought the world was going to end in 2012. Lol.

I believe meaningful moments depends on how you experience each moment in life.
For me, there would only be a point in living if we contribute to human existence, but it would have to be interest for you/us.
I once tried to volunteer for social work on every other Saturday. I felt compelled to help the less favored and realized that made me feel good.
In a way, I felt it´s selfish to try to help others to feel good about your life. But it enriched my lonely moments. For a tiny bit I felt I was cooperating with something that genuinely were making other people happier.

Last edited:
What I meant wasn't so much if there are objective points. I know there are many points and reasons to live and you can never run out of them. I just find it hard to connect with them.

No bs, reminded me a lot of what Jim Carey went on about like last yearish.

Personally, i thought the world was going to end in 2012. Lol.

Jim Carey the actor? I wasn't around for 2 years, so I am clueless…

I thought I was on my way out.. last year.

I do understand the deconstructioning process, socially culturally, it has been helpful to call its bluff. :)

What I meant wasn't so much if there are objective points. I know there are many points and reasons to live and you can never run out of them. I just find it hard to connect with them.

I know, I have the same problem. From sometime now I can´t connect at all. I work, have family duties, but I feel most of the time it is just empty..nothing really meaningful despite of my efforts.

At one level the detachment we feel can be traced back to neo-Darwinism. There are a number of assumptions to the Evolution problem and lack of meaning is only one of them.

At a deep-felt level, if we are meaningless accidents of chemicals on a meaningless planet in a meaningless galaxy in a meaningless cluster, it is hard to find purpose. There is a reason all through history people have looked for deeper meaning, but until the advent of the 'modern' era, there was a higher purpose. And until the advent of the Judaics, spirituality was something valued and learned by adepts and apprentices throughout the ancient times.

Even Egypt seems to have had an overarching interest in immortality and it is clear they didn't mean in the current body. The journey through the Duat to reach Osiris and the Gods was not anything designed for a physical body.

Of course Darwinism also has the underlying assumption that we clearly MUST be the highest of all humans, the ones who have been 'fittest' to survive and so obviously superior to those primitives who went before us. Doesn't really matter how many facts you can bring out about the sophistication of the Ancients, modern people will simply ignore that and continue with their view of 'superstitious primitives' and go about their meaning-free lives chasing the latest "Ooh, Shiny!" object to be programmed into their desires.

But finding things of the spirit and coming to realise we are more than a body and a brain can help to reattach to life. It does take some effort to detach from the daily grind and programming, but it is worth the effort. Clean up our diet, stay away from TV, make connections with those around us - all these will help.

And then we can begin on the real journey - finding out how we, as spiritual beings driving around in bodies, came to be where we are.

Good point ^
I relate as well, I can discuss and enjoy them, but this can be pleasure… not reality. How does one 'feel' a concept? I understand if one accepts these at a deep level. Integrating the ideas… What existence is for each individual per say. What is the purpose connected to these concepts in reality? This is important ime.

Life is feeding the dog, caring for children … loved ones… being and living from the inside outward, not becoming what is a thought manifestation of some other realm. This is why I didn't take philosophy in undergrad.
I am in my mind enough as is, learned to live there as a child from trauma. I find myself delving into abstract concepts when I don't need to.
Balance is key for me. Meaning of life is individualistic, sense of purpose… Some may say the VOID, is at the center,,, and this may be somewhat true, but so is LOVE

Last edited:
It's not even that I've been taking psychedelics and lost a sense of meaning that way. I'm like that in myself, after I was born I was never fully grounded in this reality, and I've maintained it. Growing up was exciting as everything was new, but after that I kind of started to disconnect and lose interest.

Taking drugs/medication also lowers your vibration and makes you feel closer to this reality. When you stop your vibration rises, and you don't engage with negative things as much anymore, but you can also lose interest in all things and feel very distant. Like you're looking at it from the outside.

You're not in much risk of dying of pain but you can die of boredom.

But finding things of the spirit and coming to realise we are more than a body and a brain can help to reattach to life. It does take some effort to detach from the daily grind and programming, but it is worth the effort. Clean up our diet, stay away from TV, make connections with those around us - all these will help.

And then we can begin on the real journey - finding out how we, as spiritual beings driving around in bodies, came to be where we are.

qft

Good point ^
I relate as well, I can discuss and enjoy them, but this can be pleasure… not reality. How does one 'feel' a concept? I understand if one accepts these at a deep level. What existence is for each individual per say. What is the purpose connected to these concepts in reality? This is important ime.

Life is feeding the dog, caring for children … loved ones… being and living from the inside outward, not becoming what is a thought manifestation of some other realm. This is why I didn't take philosophy in undergrad.
I am in my mind enough as is, learned to live there as a child from trauma. I find myself delving into abstract concepts when I don't need to.
Balance is key for me. Meaning of life is individualistic, sense of purpose… Some may say the VOID, is at the center,,, and this may be somewhat true, but so is LOVE

Great logic. Nicely put. It makes us wonder..

I believe the word for me would be motivation. How can we achieve anything without being motivated.
And how do you motivate yourself if you are bored all the time?
There are tons of messages to people to get on with their lives, exercise, produce endorphin, etc.
But again..how do I find the motivation to start?

But what if you're BORED of this?
Then, near as I can tell, we need to put in some effort to find out WTF 'THIS' is so we can leave it. Currently it seems there is no way out but there are strong clues that this isn't all it is.

Download and have a read of Robert Monroe's 'Journey' trilogy. That should alter the perspective a little. :D

The intrinsic lack of any tangible purpose in life and in living life should be obvious, but surprisingly isn't. It seems the only arguable raison d'être would be the proliferation of one's species—procreation. Truthfully, that's the only discernable scientific justification for the existence of any organism. However, this reason doesn't seem to enjoy any widespread public acceptance. Indeed, a majority of people find it unsatisfactory, and would rather believe in some less bleak and more psychologically-palatable philosophical or theological notion, instead.

Sadly, the only population that actually seems to notice life's meaninglessness are more likely to be accepted to an asylum than by their peers.

I don't really agree a lack of purpose is obvious. I think the many purposes to life are obvious in a theoretical sense. And if someone are really healthy and suited for this life I don't think they should be feeling any of that kind of detachment.

It can be due to many things. It can be a biological, emotional, intellectual, or spiritual problem. Everyone won't experience it in the same way.