• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Opioid Withdrawal Megathread and FAQ

Recently (2-3 weeks ago) I detoxed off hydrocodone (9 months of use for medical reasons). It was a DEPENDENCE, not ADDICTION.

I'm curious to see, as I have about 20 10mg pills left, when I could take one again without getting semi sick (the "dope flu" only lasted about 1-2 days thanks to clonidine and lorazepam)

I wonder because if I ever did something like sprain my ankle (happens Semi frequently from athletics) and took one, would it send me spiraling back into the flu?

I don't have an addiction, so it's easy to resist, I've had them in my house and ZERO desire to take them.

Please no "you're addicted" posts, cause I really am not.

If you start using them for consecutive days in a row, 3-4 even for a lot of people, is enough to get you re-dependnent.

Ah for sharks, gotcha. So basically if I one offed it when something stupid happens I'm okay it seems, just gotta NOT be consistently taking them. So interesting because at the six month mark when I stopped taking them nothing happened, but my pain came back and 3 months longer got me dependent. Now I'm scared of opiates a bit.

I've gone through all phases of opioid addiction... The first rush and nod completely careless, free from all the pain, and feeling safe away from the cruel world. Then the phase you start realizing you need it every day, because otherwise you can't function normally chilled out or at least not giving a damn about stupid things - that's when you're psychologically hooked. I didn't realize how deeply physically I am addicted to morphine, even when I went through full blown withdrawal lasting ~2 weeks. Later I got into the phase when I could leave early at school and go over 150km by bus to get heroin when morphine and other pharm opioids became unavailable. It was then obvious I was really hooked physically. Then I stopped getting the old euphoria from opioids, but I still had my chamber of peace. And I did opioids to kill the nerves and run away from things bothering me in real life that other people didn't even think about. I lost interest in chasing the next dose and I got sick of junkies addicted to opioids and doing awful things. I moved myself on methadone. Bad, bad decision, it made me indifferent to many things I can enjoy now, even if it's a negative emotion, I prefer it that way - to feel it all. Getting off methadone eventually has cost me getting on Suboxone. Now I've been trying to get off Suboxone and sadly since I got down to 2mg, I can feel some mental need for more, otherwise I'm very moody and nervous. Right now I'm sick and tired of buprenorphine, although it surely saved my ass many times, because otherwise I would have relapsed a few times already. And after all this I still know that when I'm off Suboxone, I will be tempted all the time at every corner. :/

MIXING ADVICE PLEASE!!

HI!

a friend loves opiates and when prescriptions were running out too quick, turned to H, as many do (bumped it, maybe 1g/day for a few months). soooooo....bills are due and shit needs to get done and this friend thinks its time to take a break for a while. last sober stint lasted 5 years so not so bad, minus the occasional perc use during the winter when its boring and nice to snuggle up.

long story short...this friend has stocked up on helper outers for this endeavor back to sobriety. today is day 2 of no opiates/h! he walks! he has (13) 8mg suboxones. take 4mg at the most at one time and then 2 mg throughout the day as needed (no more than 8mg/day). friend also has a plenty of 10mg diazepam, plenty of .5mg clonazepam, bunch of gabapentin, and some crack cocaine, and lunesta.

I understand this combination of drugs could be lethal and want to make sure this friend is using them the right way.

rule 1: never take lunesta and diazepam or clonazapam together.

he typically will take some bupe in the morning to get right. if he is really hurting he will take 10-15mg of diazepam to snooze or chill. this also occurs in the evening. sometimes he will skip the diazepam and take lunesta instead for that night just to keep things mixed up and not reliant on one drug.

question is, can this person take a hit of crack cocaine every once in a while without any chances of dying after taking some suboxone or a valium?? lets say he takes 4mg suboxone, then takes a hit of crack cocaine (not a favorite choice, but helps with a little energy kick during these depressing and tiresesome detox days) and chills for a while. is it safe to take 10mg diazepam an hour or two later to fall asleep? is this a waste of any of these drugs? anyone have a fun and/or cocktail of these drugs to maximize his step away from opiates. He knows all the rest of these drugs are addictive and will have to be tapered, but getting over the H monster is his first concern.

sorry if this is in the wrong place. I have lurked this site forever now and familiar with forums, just not sure where this weird question goes. quitting? mixing? safety? thanks in advance.

edit: oh yeah, this friend also always has very nice and stinky green and uses it in the evening as well occasionally, as well as tincture and/or a hard candy during the day to take away some pain.

prolly should have given a back story....guess I should have let everyone know, this person has been fighting an autoimmune disease since october 2012 and has been emitted to the a top 5 hospital in the country for 8 nights and days, had biopsies, bone marrow extracts, every scan in the book, and couldn't walk for a week and eventually diagnosed with Adult Stills. He experiences much pain throughout his back/hips/legs/ankles/feet. He was on 60mg of prednisone, a daily shot to the belly daily of kineret, and was up to 80mg of oxycodone/day and convinced the doctor he had worked his way down to 10mg/day, but has been supplementing instead with street relief, because doctors have been strict with scripts, was booted from pain management for THC (after requesting to be put in it to help ween all the pills!!!) ridiculous and it was handled in the most ass backwards way one could imagine. not to mention his wife is an oncologist at this hospital. (wish laws werent so strict so he could just get all the scripts in the world, but would never put her career in danger)

the fact his wife is a doctor at this hospital makes my whole situation even more sensitive. he needs to be discrete as possible and wants to turn this around and turn time back a year to the man he was. being the bread winner. the man of the house. physically fit and energized. they just bought their first house. 5 bedroom on 3.25 acres. would really would like to put my money to some good use (for now lol). this friend will never completely kick opiates. there is nothing like it and he always commend the grandfather from 'Little Miss Sunshine'. he would live my life just like him in his situation. he wishes he could live it like that right now, but not in the cards.

wow....sorry for the long ass first post. friend of mine is up right now cause of that cc. I mean well and actually am looking for a forum to goof around in too, if you guys have an off topic section for nonsense.
the fact his wife is a doctor at this hospital makes my whole situation even more sensitive. he needs to be discrete as possible and wants to turn this around and turn time back a year to the man he was. being the bread winner. the man of the house. physically fit and energized. they just bought their first house. 5 bedroom on 3.25 acres. would really would like to put my money to some good use (for now lol). this friend will never completely kick opiates. there is nothing like it and he always commend the grandfather from 'Little Miss Sunshine'. he would live my life just like him in his situation. he wishes he could live it like that right now, but not in the cards.

wow....sorry for the long ass first post. friend of mine is up right now cause of that cc. I mean well and actually am looking for a forum to goof around in too, if you guys have an off topic section for nonsense.

tl;dr can my friend safetly take suboxone, a hit a crack cocaine, and then a 10mg valium a little later to sleep?

Last edited:
well, im so not willing to become an addict, so that wouldnt happen,

Right.. because all of the millions of people who became addicts were willing? Opiates are so addicting and ruin so many lives of all walks of life for a reason.. it's not about will.

Does anyone have any idea how bad my withdrawal will be? I know it's different for everyone but I am wondering how likely it is that it will be pretty severe. Like I mentioned its been about a month since I started using again and it's 1-2 grams a day via smoking. I was clean for about 3 weeks. I've never cold turkey detoxed before so I'm pretty nervous. Also, does anyone have any experience with zopiclone during withdrawal? It knocks me out and I know that when I withdraw my inability to sleep is the absolute worst symptom. Thanks again for the responses!
It will be pretty much like you had never stopped at all.

well, im so not willing to become an addict, so that wouldnt happen, i just dont want to take a single vicodin and then go thru the flu like symptoms again after

It doesn't work like that. I didn't want to become an addict, then I shattered my knee playing sports. Couldn't live without pain meds, at first. Tens of thousands of $'s and an overdose later, I still can't stay clean for more than a month. You think I wanted this?

I quit a 120 mg a day oxy ir for 2 years. The kick was pretty bad. I was clean 6 months and now I'm 2 months back on oxy. Only needing 60 mg to keep me out of wd's but takes 90+ to get high, but have been doing 120 a day for a couple weeks.

I have clonidine/ xanax bars ( a lot, don't like um so I don't use them) robaxin/ zofrain ( when I kicked they gave it to me, but I never took it) . Also a decent supply of the blues and some hydro. I also bought withdrawal ease because it has a lot of good stuff in it.

I have kratom too.

Would tapering then going to kratom be the way to do this?

Is there anyway to avoid wd's all together?

If I get off it again will I get back on them? lol

Is there anyway to avoid wd's all together?

There are ways to make it easier, and some people say that if they take enough loperamide (Imodium) their withdrawals are non-existent, though that's been hotly debated. Besides the loperamide, you seem to have an impressive kit already.

I think if you try to feel NO withdrawal, your chances of getting back on them are significantly higher, as you wont associate misery with addiction (as much, at least).

Great thread amapola. I have nothing more to add since you have covered everything, but I will say that phenergan and benzo's, maybe weed, and of course listening to music are necessities for withdrawing as painlessly as possible. It is possible to not feel like total shit during a withdrawal.

Lots of good information in this thread.
Just a few questions, how long can I expect these cold sweats to last? Only symptom I have.

Been using for about a month straight, recently been IVing H for the first time. I use about one bag of H a day if that. I plan on tapering off. If what I was taking was about 35-45mg of Oxycodone a day for 3 weeks how long can this last?
Should I taper off? I always quit cold turkey after using for 2 weeks or so straight and usualyl have no problems. But since I've been IVing H for the past week I have unbearable coldsweats and don't really know what to do.

I just took 4 Percocet 5's and gonna try to taper off the next few days. Is that a good idea?

Taper is hard when you have a supply of your DOC. It's also hard when you have several sources instead of one. One will eventually dry up and you are forced to stop for a while. Having several makes it even harder.

Taper is hard when you have a supply of your DOC. It's also hard when you have several sources instead of one. One will eventually dry up and you are forced to stop for a while. Having several makes it even harder.

Thats my main issue. H and opiates are so abundant in my town. And when you get Oxy 30s for cheap its even harder.
I'm gonna try to taper off, and then use my Ativan and Ambien to combat withdrawal. Hopefully it works. I only have acute withdrawal and its a bitch. Took me two years of occasional use to get to this. Kinda mad at myself to be honest.

And is it the fact I started IVing? I never IV'd anything before two weeks ago. Orally and nasally never had issues. Sucks. I'm staying away from the needle as my first step to recovery.

Thats my main issue. H and opiates are so abundant in my town. And when you get Oxy 30s for cheap its even harder.
I'm gonna try to taper off, and then use my Ativan and Ambien to combat withdrawal. Hopefully it works. I only have acute withdrawal and its a bitch. Took me two years of occasional use to get to this. Kinda mad at myself to be honest.

And is it the fact I started IVing? I never IV'd anything before two weeks ago. Orally and nasally never had issues. Sucks. I'm staying away from the needle as my first step to recovery.

What is cheap? I think their very expensive no prices is the best I've seen and only if you get 40 or more.

Last edited by a moderator: