• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The official NBA thread

YAY for Utah beating Houston's bench!

Yay for me winning $50 .. it came down to the last game too..

For the betting kind...might be worth it to throw a little towards the Warriors/Mavs series... Golden State is a whopping +900 to win the series...and well, for someone like me who supremely believes the public is seriously underestimating how well the Dubs match up against the Mavs...that's a ridiculously awesome bet.

^^^i think thats a decent longshot bet

Im feeling like the rockets are going to absoultely dismantle the jazz. look for T-mac to average 40 points a game. I thought his career was already on the decline, but the guys only 28. sure he has a bad back, but hes healthy right now and hes starting to be the agressive t-mac that used to lead the league in scoring, getting to hoop like clyde drexler used to

also i just won my fantasy league, and made 60 bucks in the process. perfect timing right before 420

Hypothetically, if gambling weren't illegal, immoral and fattening, I might put a dollar or two on these teams to win their respective first round series:

Lakers (+1200) over SUNS

In my opinion, the Suns are CLEARLY the most talented team in the league, and should STREAMROLL to the championship.

But with that said, if you get an opportunity to get TWELVE TO ONE odds in a seven game series and you have the greatest player in the universe on your team . . . you might want to roll the proverbial dice.

Warriors (+1150) over MAVS

The Mavs are a paper tiger.

Mark my words.

Dirk Nowitzi is NOT Larry Bird.

They MIGHT not lose to the Warriors, but they're going to lose to somebody, despite compiling a ridiculous regular season record.

Nuggets (+525) over SPURS

Tim Duncan is one minor injury away from Nuggets-backers getting over FIVE TO ONE odds, with the TWO best players on your team.

I'm not even a Carmello fan, but this line is absolutely ridiculous, and should be two to one, AT MOST.

Heat (+120) over BULLS

Let me get this straight:

The defending champs, who have Dwayne Wade and Shaquille O'Neal on their team are UNDERDOGS to a team who has ZERO elite players, and might very well go 32-50 next season.

I'm reading this line correctly, right?

Nets (+140) over RAPTORS

CHris Bosh is a very nice player, and the Raptors are a likeable surprise this year . . .

. . . but Jason Kidd is the best point guard since Magic and Isiah, and Vince Carter could EASILY go for 35 per game again his former mates.

IMO, the Nets should be 2 to 1 favorites in this one.

Wizards (+1800) over CAVALIERS

EIGHTEEN TO ONE?

Are you fucking serious?

Twenty-one year old fingernail-biting Lebron James and a bunch of rejects are favored by EIGHTEEN to one to win a playoff series?!!!!!!

With all sincerity, this Cavaliers team shouldn't be favored to beat the worst team in the league by eighteen to one, let alone a team who's just as good as they are, minus Gilbert Arenas.

The Wizards without Arenas DO suck, but the Cavs, even with LeBron Christ are VERY VERY beatable.

LL, How pissed are you that the Knicks resigned Isiah?

You think this is Stern's payback to the league for the Ewing draft?

TopRocka said:

LL, How pissed are you that the Knicks resigned Isiah?

You think this is Stern's payback to the league for the Ewing draft?

Macabi Tel Aviv will win the NBA title before my beloved Knickees do.

L O V E L I F E said:
He can win a championhip by himself.

Dude, I think you're one of the smartest people on this website and I always enjoy reading your posts.

But I'm seriously gonna need you to hook me up with the weed you're smokin' if you really believe this.

If he can do it by himself, why hasn't he? He couldn't even finish off the Suns in the first round last year when they were up 3-1!

i'm so glad chicago didn't finish second. otherwise they would have had a cakewalk through the playoffs and probably beat the pistons in the conference finals. go pistonssssssssssssssssssssss.

Average Whiteboy said:

Dude, I think you're one of the smartest people on this website and I always enjoy reading your posts.

But I'm seriously gonna need you to hook me up with the weed you're smokin' if you really believe this.

If he can do it by himself, why hasn't he? He couldn't even finish off the Suns in the first round last year when they were up 3-1!

First of all, thanks for the compliments.

Second, I'm not saying that Kobe is so super-human that can he single-handly carry a team to an NBA title EVERY SEASON - I was merely insinuating that, unlike anyone in the history of basketball other than PERHAPS Michael Jordan (and remember - he NEVER even MADE THE FINALS without a Hall-Of-Fame-bound Scottie Pippen, but that's a whole 'nother thread), Kobe is, in my opinion, the only player who, at his absolute apex, COULD carry an otherwise mediocre team to four consecutive play-off series victories.

As the optimistic blind man said, we shall see.

L O V E L I F E said:
First of all, thanks for the compliments.

Second, I'm not saying that Kobe is so super-human that can he single-handly carry a team to an NBA title EVERY SEASON - I was merely insinuating that, unlike anyone in the history of basketball other than PERHAPS Michael Jordan (and remember - he NEVER even MADE THE FINALS without a Hall-Of-Fame-bound Scottie Pippen, but that's a whole 'nother thread), Kobe is, in my opinion, the only player who, at his absolute apex, COULD carry an otherwise mediocre team to four consecutive play-off series victories.

As the optimistic blind man said, we shall see.

There's no question Kobe is a great player who comes through in the clutch, but asking one man, no matter how great he is, to carry his team to a championship is a pretty tall order.

Take a look at a lot of the past champions. Pretty much every team that had one player who was the 'Da Man' on the team had another great player or two to back him up. Kareem had Magic, McAdoo and Worthy to play with. Larry Bird took the floor with Robert Parrish and Kevin McHale. Isiah Thomas ran with Bill Laimbeer, Adrian Dantley and my favorite all time player, Dennis Rodman. And of course, Jordan was backed up by Pippen, Horace Grant, Ron Harper and Rodman. Basically what I'm trying to say is that you need to play like a team to win games. I hate to be cliche, but that's what it is. Of course your great players are going to lead the team but you need those other key players to make it happen. The 2004 Pistons are one of the rare NBA champions who didn't have a bonafide superstar who was the unofficial team leader.

Looking back at the Lakers three-peat you can see those rosters had some damn good players on them that weren't named Kobe or Shaq. Robert Horry, Rick Fox, Glen Rice, Derek Fisher, Lindsey Hunter and Devean George certainly weren't scrubs. Not to mention those teams also got service from Horace Grant, Ron Harper and Mitch Richmond.

So all in all, I don't think Kobe can win a title 'by himself.' It'd be hard enough to accomplish without the fact that Kobe is among the most hated men in the league so you know other teams really get up for a game against LA because they would love nothing more than to crush him.

Last edited:
I'm sorry Dennis, but Devean George is most certainly a scrub! ;)

Damn I can't wait for tomorrow!!!

Here's a little reminder for the Mavs fans out there what they have to look forward to...

zJrich.gif

Oh and just for the heck of it...my picks prior to yesterday's games.

Warriors over Mavs in 7
Rockets over Jazz in 7
Spurs over Nuggets in 6
Suns over Lakers in 6

Warriors over Rockets in 6
Suns over Spurs in 7

Suns over Warriors in 7

Pistons over Magic in 5
Bulls over Heat in 7
Nets over Raptors in 6
Cavs over Wizards in 5

Pistons over Bulls in 7
Nets over Cavs in 7

Pistons over Nets in 6

Suns over Pistons in 6

where the hell are okur and kirilenko? the rockets D is absolutely stifling despite our best defensive player (yao) allowing boozer to go off for 40.

it seems like our strategy has been get stop after stop after stop and let T-mac jack up shots until he gets hot. I hope we are a little more balanced by the time we get to the 2nd round

damn lapdawg that last animated gif, good post.

LETS GO LAKERS! gah i hope they even out the series tonight!

n' for some comic relief. magic johnson calling eduardo najera "horado" ROFL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_hz3mnaFAo

i love magic's commentary some other favorite are
1. "Challs" (charles barkely)
2. "throwed"
3. "spunt the ball"

fucking suns!, i predict the series will be 2-2 in the next two games =)

Last edited:
I hate 8-on-5 basketball. Beno Salvatore can go die. I hope Stern recognizes his hothead bullshit technical on Baron for clapping and smiling...ridiculous! That 3rd quarter was just atrocious...sullying what can be the most exciting series in the 1st round.

I don't typically like to complain about officiating, but the NBA always makes it so damned hard not to.

wow i turned the channel in the 1st quarter when it looked like suns were gonna roll. i really like kobe, but the suns are just so much fun to watch as a team.

suns a good team, no doubt ill give em that, im just ridin for my squad. no doubt its gonna tied up headin back to phoenix