• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The official NBA thread

bowdenta

Bluelighter
I figured there should be a thread about the only sport in season right now that doesn't involve sticks or cars

so lets see...champions? Im gonna go ahead and say whoever wins the west wins it all. It will probably be phoenix and dallas, and if their last game is any indicator it will be a fucking badass series. I still have hope for the rockets. I really dont see a better 1-2 duo than t-mac and yao (although I am biased)

in the east I'm going to go with the cavs simply because lebron james can win games in the 4th quarter single-handedly. I dont think he can carry his team past the dominant west teams though

what do you think about D-Wade not getting the surgery? personally i think it's a bad move, but then again, he's on my fantasy team so im kinda glad they didn't

I'm going to contradict everyone who's anyone in the NBA world and say that the West is overrated bigtime. There are three real teams (Pheonix, Dallas, and San Antonio), and the rest are just pieces of junk that make the top three look good. Detroit just beat Pheonix, and only lost to Dallas because Chauncey Billups wasn't in the mix. So my vote goes to Detroit taking it all. I think the Pistons should easily handle the East; the Cavs have a guard problem, the Bulls are too young, and the Heat have Wade who will not be at 100%. Probably will end up with Detroit vs. Dallas in the finals, with Detroit in 6.

well houston and utah are legit teams in the west as well. I also think people forget the east records are inflated because they play so many shitty east teams.

both utah and houston basically have the same record as the top team in the east (pistons). although I will say that the heat, pistons, and cavs are certainly playing at a high level right now giving the east some legitimacy

but if the mavs and pistons played a 7 game series right now, no way would i bet against the mavs

I think Detroit is going to have a tough time in the playoffs. The Bulls seem to have their number and the addition of Wallace scares the shit out of me.

I think Cleveland could pose a legitimate threat to Detroit also. Simply, because of what bowdenta said about Lebron putting games away by himself. But unless Larry Hughes steps it up for them I doubt they will win a 7 game series against Detroit or Chicago. Lebron has to have someone to go to when he's double teamed.

I feel Detroit can beat Phoenix or Dallas in the finals as long as they play their style of basketball. If Phoenix starts running on them and getting good penetration it could be goodnight for my Pistons.

My picks are Detroit and Phoenix in the Finals. My heart tells me Detroit will be victorious but my brain tells me otherwise.

But who knows really. I wouldn't be all that surprised if San Antonio took out the Mavs and the Suns... That's why I love the NBA so much.. its so competitive.

huntmich said:
I'm going to contradict everyone who's anyone in the NBA world and say that the West is overrated bigtime. There are three real teams (Pheonix, Dallas, and San Antonio), and the rest are just pieces of junk that make the top three look good.

and honestly San Antonio does not even look that great this year, so I see the point you are trying to make. I'm going to say Cleveland wins the East, but that is because your S&G mod is a big fat fucking HOMER =D

I'm about to win a nice crisp clean $50 bill, as I bet a guy at work the jazz would have a better record at the end of the season then the bulls :)

I wish I had of agreed to the $100 when he was getting cocky :p

it just occured to me that we (the rockets) have to play the mavs, spurs, and suns a combined 14 times while the east teams only face them 6 times. that has got to factor into the their record this late in the season

Kobe and four WNBA players have a chance in this years wide-open race.

Duncan is fading, The Jazz are a fraud, McGrady is a born loser, and Dirk has been looking Mailman-like unclutch in recents Junes.

When Phoenix is clicking, I think they're CLEARLY the best team in the league, but if by siome chance, the Nuggests get the best of them in Round One, and then the Lakers can get past the Jazz and get home court against Denver in Round Two . . .

. . . well, a man can dream.

Jazz are a fraud? While not having the best record of late, they still have a winning record since the all-star break... Every team has some sort of slump at one stage.. So they lost 4 in a row.. They are 3-1 since

deeCee said:
Jazz are a fraud? While not having the best record of late, they still have a winning record since the all-star break... Every team has some sort of slump at one stage.. So they lost 4 in a row.. They are 3-1 since

I don't mean they don't have the resume.

What I'm suggesting is that they're a team with a bunch of good players who try hard each and every night, and as a result, compile an impressive regular season record.

But with that said, there's NO WAY ON EARTH that you can win a NBA title when your best player is either Carlos Boozer or Andrei Kirilenko.

In the play-offs, superstars like Wade, Kobe, Shaq, Nash, etc, play hard on EVERY FUCKING POSSESSION, so I suppose my definition of "fraud" could be clarified by saying "team with a lot of nice cogs, but without a bona fide superstar who can (and almost every play-off season does) carry his team to the title, and who, therefore, has far less of a chance of advancing deep into the play-offs than their regular season record would indicate.

I'm not saying that Kobe necessarily WILL take the Lakers on his back and carry them to the NBA title; I'm just saying that he could.

The odds of the Jazz winning the title, on the other hand, is approximately zero.

In.

My.

Opinion.

The Suns, when they're ON, are downright scary.

Like Abilily to Sweep the Spurs or Mavs 4-0 scary.

In my opinion, when they're healthy and playing well, the '06-'07 Suns are the most impressive all-around team since the Jordan-Pippen-Rodman-Kucoc Bulls of ten years ago.

And as a Kobe/Laker fan, they fucking scare the shit out of me.

Gooooooooooooooooooooo Nuggets!

The Jazz beat the Sun's in their series :p

Don't forget Longley!! :p You can't forget the aussies, well especially when talking to me

But I can see what your saying. I barely rate AK anymore, wtf has he done this season?

C'mon Warriors!!!

I'm telling you all...if the Warriors sneak into that 8 seed...the Mavs are going down in one of the biggest 1st round upsets ever. They don't want none of the Dubs! They've taken 5 of the last 6 meetings including the last 3 in Dallas.

I would shit a brick if the Warriors upset the Mavs in the first round, and this is despite the big "if" regarding if they can sneak in the playoffs. it would for sure be a great upset, and it would be great for the sport and fans of the NBA - but I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir when I say that upsets are difficult in the NBA playoffs because of the number of games played.

Miami is doing far better than I ever thought they would without the D. Wade in the lineup. since everyone is all about the one man wrecking crew of Kobe Bryant... err. I mean the LA Lakers (;)) it's hard not to mention the force that LeBron James will be during the playoffs.

what are the top couple teams, in everyone's opinion, of the West and East conference?

Axl Blaze said:
it's hard not to mention the force that LeBron James will be during the playoffs.

Can LeBron afford fingernail clippers on his 80 gazzillion dollar salary or is he still biting his nails at the end of close games?

LeBron's mega-talented, no doubt, but with all of this "Who's Clutcher - MJ or Kobe" debating going on, are some of us forgetting that LeBron hasn't won a clutch game in his career?

I know he's only 21, and I acknowledge that he's probably GOING TO BE one of the greatest ever eventually . . . but with all of that said, he's still not on the Bird-Magic-Jordan-Kobe "Holy Shit - there are two seconds left and LeBron's going to get to shoot the game winner - we're up by one, but we're probably still going to lose" level quite yet, imo.

L O V E L I F E said:
But with that said, there's NO WAY ON EARTH that you can win a NBA title when your best player is either Carlos Boozer or Andrei Kirilenko.

In the play-offs, superstars like Wade, Kobe, Shaq, Nash, etc, play hard on EVERY FUCKING POSSESSION, so I suppose my definition of "fraud" could be clarified by saying "team with a lot of nice cogs, but without a bona fide superstar who can (and almost every play-off season does) carry his team to the title, and who, therefore, has far less of a chance of advancing deep into the play-offs than their regular season record would indicate.

That logic doesn't work. How about the '03-'04 Pistons? A ton of great role players, no superstars.

bowdenta said:
what do you think about D-Wade not getting the surgery? personally i think it's a bad move, but then again, he's on my fantasy team so im kinda glad they didn't

Very bad move. I hope Wade doesn't regret it as his career progresses. The Heat have ZERO chance of winning it all this year. D-Wade should stop trying to be a hero and rest up for next year. By then maybe Miami will replace some of their decrepit old players for some young talent.

SonOF said:
That logic doesn't work. How about the '03-'04 Pistons? A ton of great role players, no superstars.

I shall concede that that is the ONLY exception in the past 27 years.

Friom 1980 on, EVERY SINGLE OTHER NBA Champion has been been led by Magic or Bird Or Isiah Or Jordan Or Hakeem Or Duncan Or Shaq/Kobe Or Shaq/Wade.

That Pistons team was literally the only team in 27 years to win a title without a superduperstar, and, in fact, in at least half of all of those sesons, the NBA champion just happened to be led by the best player in the entire league at that time.