Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Megathread The Netflix Mega-thread vs Netflix Originals Suck

Watched the entire Into The Night Netflix series yesterday. It's a fairly decent post-apocalyptic sci-fi for Netflix, more enjoyable and with fewer absurdities than you'd probably expect from the slightly daft plot.

7/10

Starting Dark

A family saga with a supernatural twist, set in a German town, where the disappearance of two young children exposes the relationships among four families.

Only into S1e3, but what stands out thus far = very German. Granted, this is a program out of Germany, but my American mind brought up on melting pot casts is struck immediately with how all the actors appear very German. I'm watching with English dubs and subs, and they are quite good to keep things moving, but facial appearance, body types, and then extending to clothing and home-family environments are all very....German. Back to the story, the cast has about a dozen key members ranging from a core group of teens, through their parents (who have their own interweaving stories). The character connections have a bit of a soap opera feel, but I think it's laying a foundation for complexities as the main plot develops and effects them each directly, then secondarily based upon those relationships. Main plot isn't being brought out directly, but we are given a few small glimpses into the antagonist, and hat he's doing, but not why. Only ep3, so I can't say it's really drawing me in but I haven't tuned out yet either. I'll update later towards the end of S1.

Starting Dark

Only into S1e3, but what stands out thus far = very German. Granted, this is a program out of Germany, but my American mind brought up on melting pot casts is struck immediately with how all the actors appear very German. I'm watching with English dubs and subs, and they are quite good to keep things moving, but facial appearance, body types, and then extending to clothing and home-family environments are all very....German. Back to the story, the cast has about a dozen key members ranging from a core group of teens, through their parents (who have their own interweaving stories). The character connections have a bit of a soap opera feel, but I think it's laying a foundation for complexities as the main plot develops and effects them each directly, then secondarily based upon those relationships. Main plot isn't being brought out directly, but we are given a few small glimpses into the antagonist, and hat he's doing, but not why. Only ep3, so I can't say it's really drawing me in but I haven't tuned out yet either. I'll update later towards the end of S1.

Spoke too soon. Had only finished s1e2. Episodes 3-8 took off like a rocket fueled roller coaster created by some demented asshole that loves corkscrews and loops. Now that I've finished s1, and am starting s2 (there is a s3)., all I have to say is wtf! But, in a good way. Production is top notch, color quality, acting, etc. One major complaint is that they left the sound guy as last in line for editing, so he's got the same deep ominous tones dragging out too long on scenes and repeated all the damn time = annoying af. BUT, he also does a good job of laying in soundtracks to help with the story line. I'm still having a real hard time mapping people between who they are in 2019...and when we warp to 1986 to see them as teens, but it is intentional on their part. Not the confusion, but the fact that everyone's lives are intertwined in real messed up ways.

Let me attempt to restate what this is, because my 2 episodes summary sucked in representing the whole. We begin with some teens in 2019 in a small German town, with our focal lead Jonus not so much the 'leader' but the central figure in the teen group. The parents all know each other from growing up there as well. A boy goes missing, and some weird things are happening (dead birds everywhere, for example). The missing boy is the son of a current cop....who's brother also disappeared like this 33y ago (part of why he is a cop). We then start alternating between 2019 and 1986, when the cop used to be the focal leader of the teen group of that era. A few boys go missing in 2019, and a few were missing in 1986, we get shown some parallels, but it isn't about the parallels so much as who the characters are and the relationships between them = who lies, to whom, and why; who ends up marrying who and having which kids. There's your spaghetti mess of relationships getting it's foundation. Next, we start learning there is a wormhole of sorts connecting 2019 & 1986, and Jonus goes thru looking for the missing 2019 kid. The entire s1 is following a few characters moving thru the time hole trying to fix things, independent of one another, and questioning if they can make a difference, or if this is what already occurred - meanwhile, people in 'their time' are dealing with the fallout. Wrinkle in an antagonist, Noah, who doesn't get much background but presents as a preacher all the while doing evil, along with his henchman Hegle. As time travelers go back and forth, and we further twist together people's lives, we late in s1 introduce a leap (by accident?) of the cop trying to stop Hegle, and ending up in 1953 (another 33y gap) but Hegle is a child.

To conclude s1, we have people trapped in the wrong times, some aware and some not, of the implications of their out-of-time presence and what it means, what they can do. And we transition from s1 to s2 with Jonus leaping thru another hole, and ending up in the future (2020, months after the 2019 events), while we start alternating with scenes from 1920 (33y gap to 1953) with our evil priest, Noah, as a man digging in the wormhole area.

One could say they are widening the time brackets to extend the tv series, which is likely true, but it also fits quite well with the developing plots and twists. IMDB gives the ongoing series an 8.7/10, and I'd have to agree. Aside from annoying sound effects, and the trouble of following who-when, this is clicking along very well. It doesn't drag, it doesn't skip, it has appropriate special effects as opposed to sucky or over-the-top, it doesn't waste time on tangents with no meaning. You're strapped in, and they just launched the roller coaster rocket. Hang on.

Last edited:
Spoke too soon. Had only finished s1e2. Episodes 3-8 took off like a rocket fueled roller coaster created by some demented asshole that loves corkscrews and loops. Now that I've finished s1, and am starting s2 (there is a s3)., all I have to say is wtf! But, in a good way. Production is top notch, color quality, acting, etc. One major complaint is that they left the sound guy as last in line for editing, so he's got the same deep ominous tones dragging out too long on scenes and repeated all the damn time = annoying af. BUT, he also does a good job of laying in soundtracks to help with the story line. I'm still having a real hard time mapping people between who they are in 2019...and when we warp to 1986 to see them as teens, but it is intentional on their part. Not the confusion, but the fact that everyone's lives are intertwined in real messed up ways.

Let me attempt to restate what this is, because my 2 episodes summary sucked in representing the whole. We begin with some teens in 2019 in a small German town, with our focal lead Jonus not so much the 'leader' but the central figure in the teen group. The parents all know each other from growing up there as well. A boy goes missing, and some weird things are happening (dead birds everywhere, for example). The missing boy is the son of a current cop....who's brother also disappeared like this 33y ago (part of why he is a cop). We then start alternating between 2019 and 1986, when the cop used to be the focal leader of the teen group of that era. A few boys go missing in 2019, and a few were missing in 1986, we get shown some parallels, but it isn't about the parallels so much as who the characters are and the relationships between them = who lies, to whom, and why; who ends up marrying who and having which kids. There's your spaghetti mess of relationships getting it's foundation. Next, we start learning there is a wormhole of sorts connecting 2019 & 1986, and Jonus goes thru looking for the missing 2019 kid. The entire s1 is following a few characters moving thru the time hole trying to fix things, independent of one another, and questioning if they can make a difference, or if this is what already occurred - meanwhile, people in 'their time' are dealing with the fallout. Wrinkle in an antagonist, Noah, who doesn't get much background but presents as a preacher all the while doing evil, along with his henchman Hegle. As time travelers go back and forth, and we further twist together people's lives, we late in s1 introduce a leap (by accident?) of the cop trying to stop Hegle, and ending up in 1953 (another 33y gap) but Hegle is a child.

To conclude s1, we have people trapped in the wrong times, some aware and some not, of the implications of their out-of-time presence and what it means, what they can do. And we transition from s1 to s2 with Jonus leaping thru another hole, and ending up in the future (2020, months after the 2019 events), while we start alternating with scenes from 1920 (33y gap to 1953) with our evil priest, Noah, as a man digging in the wormhole area.

One could say they are widening the time brackets to extend the tv series, which is likely true, but it also fits quite well with the developing plots and twists. IMDB gives the ongoing series an 8.7/10, and I'd have to agree. Aside from annoying sound effects, and the trouble of following who-when, this is clicking along very well. It doesn't drag, it doesn't skip, it has appropriate special effects as opposed to sucky or over-the-top, it doesn't waste time on tangents with no meaning. You're strapped in, and they just launched the roller coaster rocket. Hang on.

I watched the first series a few years ago with my brother and enjoyed it plenty. Haven't yet tackled the second series. Was planning to over Xmas with my brother but we didn't get around to it. Now we're putting watching on hold so we can be in the same country together for a long enough to binge it :)

BTW do you watch in English, or German with subs? We tried English, but I really dislike voiceover dubbing, doesn't work too well imo, so we stick with original soundtrack + subs.

BTW do you watch in English, or German with subs?

Normally on foreign stuff, I'll go original audio and English subs. This time, it was so damn confusing, I was doing English audio and subs. But you're right, the English audio is kinda ... dead and flat. I'm watching s2 now in German with English subs, and it feels much better.

AUGH!!! Finished s2e8 of Dark, and wow.

So getting thru the season, at times, felt like we are all just stuck in a blender with various characters from different times interacting and different people with varying intent or missions (several seek to undo the time loops...but...). So, yeah, binging was a bit mind numbing (that, and I tried to get some work done). Still the same stellar cast and writing and everything, I'm just a bit worn thin from it. And then to close s2...the type of cliff hangar I never saw coming, but it fits so damn well it left me distraught there is no s3 available!!! Still very recommended, but ugh...we need s3!

AUGH!!! Finished s2e8 of Dark, and wow.

So getting thru the season, at times, felt like we are all just stuck in a blender with various characters from different times interacting and different people with varying intent or missions (several seek to undo the time loops...but...). So, yeah, binging was a bit mind numbing (that, and I tried to get some work done). Still the same stellar cast and writing and everything, I'm just a bit worn thin from it. And then to close s2...the type of cliff hangar I never saw coming, but it fits so damn well it left me distraught there is no s3 available!!! Still very recommended, but ugh...we need s3!

Thanks for the commentary. It's been interesting to see peoples opinions on the show. I'll likely wait till season 3 is available before I watch the show. I tend to wait until a show is "finished" before I watch it. I've never really been the type to watch an episode a week. I much prefer to watch a show start to finish. I'll be keeping 'Dark' on my watch list for when that time comes though as it sounds like it's worth taking the time watch. :)

As for myself it's not quite a Netflix original (Starz) but I'm watching 'Ash VS Evil Dead' on Netflix. I'm enjoying it. Bruce Campbell is himself & it seemed to fit the "feel" of the series to me at least. The fact that it also has Lucy Lawless (Xena! 😆) is just icing on the cake. I've found it to be gratuitous humorous nostalgia fest in my case. Something not at all serious to watch at the end of the night. In terms of Netflix originals I'm slowly but surely making my way through 'Trial by Media'. It hasn't leapt out at me like some other Netflix doc's (IE. Dirty Money, Rotten) but it seems decent. IIRC I've watched the first three episodes. Just finished up the episode on Richard Scrushy yesterday.

Almost finished with Mad Men, in the last season now. The show itself isn't the best, particularly some of the sub-plots... but the overall vibe and the time capsule to the 1960s that it creates keeps my attention. I've enjoyed it quite a bit and am curious to see how it will end.

Altered Carbon (2018 - )

Not at all what I expected when I started this up. Consider this as Blade Runner of sorts, except done with modern special effects, and the intent to be a series rather than a stand alone film. The premise is that we are way, way off in the future where at age 1 each person has a disc at the base of their skull that contains their consciousness, and bodies are considered expendable 'sleeves'. So, a person can be 'backed up' from that disc, and inserted into another body, affording the opportunity to live forever. That the other body used to be someone (tough luck for them) or a clone (for the rich that can afford it) or enhanced with bio or tech advancements (for the ultra rich) is just added wrinkles to this opportunity. We start with a prisoner's disc being inserted into a body by a super rich man and being promised his freedom and a pardon if he can solve who/how the rich guy was murdered, or if he committed suicide. Realize, the rich guy gets backed up daily and just came back in a clone 'sleeve', but wants to know what happened. Our prisoner is a bit more interesting in that he killed his father when he was about 10, to save his sister and himself from the abusive father who had already killed their mom. At 10, he was then recruited into the galactic police force known as CTAC and trained to be a kick ass fighter 'protecting' the known population. Later, he was betrayed by the CTAC guys that recruited him, he joined a rebellion team and was trained by them to be an 'Envoy' which is another type of kick ass fighter. He was then captured, imprisoned for being with the rebels, and we now have him revived into a body for this detective job....but put into the body of a tough guy cop that nobody likes (reborn with a target on his back).

It feels visually like a cleaner version of Blade Runner, but the story doesn't follow that (as described above). The characters and acting get an unusual twist in that people can be inserted into just about any available body, so sometimes our protagonist can't tell who he is dealing with behind the face, adding a few plot twists along the way. There are a few supporting characters that are ok, a little better than meh but not dominating with their side stories which are also above meh. Acting is B+, violence is A-, nudity is abound so that helps. I'm only into s1e8 of two seasons, and while I can probably walk away at any point and not feel I'm missing something, I'll likely see it thru. So far, giving it 7.5/10

Altered Carbon (2018 - )

Not at all what I expected when I started this up. Consider this as Blade Runner of sorts, except done with modern special effects, and the intent to be a series rather than a stand alone film. The premise is that we are way, way off in the future where at age 1 each person has a disc at the base of their skull that contains their consciousness, and bodies are considered expendable 'sleeves'. So, a person can be 'backed up' from that disc, and inserted into another body, affording the opportunity to live forever. That the other body used to be someone (tough luck for them) or a clone (for the rich that can afford it) or enhanced with bio or tech advancements (for the ultra rich) is just added wrinkles to this opportunity. We start with a prisoner's disc being inserted into a body by a super rich man and being promised his freedom and a pardon if he can solve who/how the rich guy was murdered, or if he committed suicide. Realize, the rich guy gets backed up daily and just came back in a clone 'sleeve', but wants to know what happened. Our prisoner is a bit more interesting in that he killed his father when he was about 10, to save his sister and himself from the abusive father who had already killed their mom. At 10, he was then recruited into the galactic police force known as CTAC and trained to be a kick ass fighter 'protecting' the known population. Later, he was betrayed by the CTAC guys that recruited him, he joined a rebellion team and was trained by them to be an 'Envoy' which is another type of kick ass fighter. He was then captured, imprisoned for being with the rebels, and we now have him revived into a body for this detective job....but put into the body of a tough guy cop that nobody likes (reborn with a target on his back).

It feels visually like a cleaner version of Blade Runner, but the story doesn't follow that (as described above). The characters and acting get an unusual twist in that people can be inserted into just about any available body, so sometimes our protagonist can't tell who he is dealing with behind the face, adding a few plot twists along the way. There are a few supporting characters that are ok, a little better than meh but not dominating with their side stories which are also above meh. Acting is B+, violence is A-, nudity is abound so that helps. I'm only into s1e8 of two seasons, and while I can probably walk away at any point and not feel I'm missing something, I'll likely see it thru. So far, giving it 7.5/10

I've yet to watch 'Altered Carbon' but have it on my watch list. I generally wait until a series is "finished" with no more episodes forthcoming before I watch them. Once in a while I make an exception but it's rare. There's so many things I haven't watched yet as a result but I'm not good with leaving something unfinished. I have that issue being irritated waiting on 'Attack on Titan' for example but I digress. I'm not sure offhand if AC is ongoing or finished but thanks for the review. I may be a bit more forgiving if I were to rate them on a numerical scale but I've found your overviews in the various film threads to be quite similar to my feelings regarding said films upon watching. :)

As for myself as I mentioned in the other film thread in terms of Netflix originals I watched 'Okja'. It was an interesting film as I've come to expect when watching Bong Joon-ho's films. I found it to be worth the time I spent watching it. I enjoyed the film. The mix of relatively light hearted moments combined with the juxtaposition of various more serious subject matter that the film addresses fit quite well IMHO. I found the cast of the film to fit the roles quite well. I enjoyed Tilda Swinton's performance as Lucy & Nancy Mirando. I also found Jake Gyllenhaal's character to be an interesting performance. Overall a film that I found to be worthwhile. (y)

Ive been watching Maniac lately. What an fantastic surreal black comedy.

"I know exactly what you need"
"What the fuck did she just say?!?"

As for myself as I mentioned in the other film thread in terms of Netflix originals I watched 'Okja'. It was an interesting film as I've come to expect when watching Bong Joon-ho's films. I found it to be worth the time I spent watching it. I enjoyed the film. The mix of relatively light hearted moments combined with the juxtaposition of various more serious subject matter that the film addresses fit quite well IMHO. I found the cast of the film to fit the roles quite well. I enjoyed Tilda Swinton's performance as Lucy & Nancy Mirando. I also found Jake Gyllenhaal's character to be an interesting performance. Overall a film that I found to be worthwhile. (y)

Gave it a look, maybe I just wasn't in the right mindset. Tilda did well, Jake seemed to be a mockery of the role and not that prominent given he's the second biggest name on the bill. The kid did very well, but the ALF team, while a little cute, were overall empty - even the leader, while trying to be a strong voice, came off as less than needed, IMO. It seemed like the entire film wasn't sure if it wanted to make a political statement, or be a kids film, and it fell in between. The quality was great, especially the CGI. And while it was an acceptable watch, it's not one I can think to recommend to anyone. Like I said, maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind.

Finished Altered Carbon s2.

I have to say, the wrap up to s1 was done very well. Hardly ever anymore is a season finale done in a way that pulls all the threads together and gives it to you in a nice bow package. Yes, there's a minor open end to launch s2, but you could end the series right here and be fine with it. Very much liked s1. Final verdict 8/10.

S2 operates very well within the same construct (mind discs put in sleeve bodies), and they brought in Anthony Mackie (Falcon from the Avengers movies), so at least a step up to a semi-known name. He plays our lead, and we have a whole new cast to support the s2 storyline, but they did weave in the actors from s1 throughout quite nicely. If s1 was 8/10, I'll give this one 7/10 for having a wholly contained storyline, good characters and writing, a new world of opportunity with it's own politics and sub-plots. Where it should get dinged, and I didn't, is that s1 was littered with nudity. S2 had a whopping two scenes in the entire 8ep and even those were weak and unwanted.

They can easily create s3 or as many seasons as they wish. It feels like they can get a good 4-5 seasons before the concept becomes tired and trite. But at least they'll have the flexibility to bring in new faces or cameo old ones.

Gave it a look, maybe I just wasn't in the right mindset. Tilda did well, Jake seemed to be a mockery of the role and not that prominent given he's the second biggest name on the bill. The kid did very well, but the ALF team, while a little cute, were overall empty - even the leader, while trying to be a strong voice, came off as less than needed, IMO. It seemed like the entire film wasn't sure if it wanted to make a political statement, or be a kids film, and it fell in between. The quality was great, especially the CGI. And while it was an acceptable watch, it's not one I can think to recommend to anyone. Like I said, maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind.

Indeed. I have a tendency to watch a good amount of films that put good visuals over the film itself. As for the Jake character I also thought it was over the top I just found his body language interesting. I'm on the autism spectrum though (Aspergers) & I don't necessarily understand body language. I'm guessing I interpreted that aspect differently than the average viewer. In terms of my film watching I tend to do my movie watching while I'm eating my dinner / winding down the night. In those scenarios oftentimes something that looks good but doesn't require a ton of attention is what I'm looking for. It would definitely make a difference in how a film is perceived now that I think on it.

I would agree mindset would have an impact on movie viewing. In my case I'm often looking for something relatively 'fluffy?' or at least something I don't have to be super focused on. I read fast enough that I can watch subtitled films without an issue while I eat but I digress. I'm sure it is quite likely that my viewing habits have an effect on my analysis. It's interesting to see how people look at completely different aspects of whatever topic is at hand (in this case films) when they are deciding how they feel about said subject though. No matter how one looks at it I wouldn't consider myself to be much of a movie critic. ;)

As I mentioned I tend to watch them with a pretty light handed view so to speak. Pretty much if the film isn't so bad I turn it off I'm usually alright with it. 😆
I do sit down & watch a film without distractions at times. I just happen to watch a movie or TV series with dinner most often. So that particular viewing "angle" is the one with which I generally view most films through. 🙂

Finished Altered Carbon s2.

I have to say, the wrap up to s1 was done very well. Hardly ever anymore is a season finale done in a way that pulls all the threads together and gives it to you in a nice bow package. Yes, there's a minor open end to launch s2, but you could end the series right here and be fine with it. Very much liked s1. Final verdict 8/10.

S2 operates very well within the same construct (mind discs put in sleeve bodies), and they brought in Anthony Mackie (Falcon from the Avengers movies), so at least a step up to a semi-known name. He plays our lead, and we have a whole new cast to support the s2 storyline, but they did weave in the actors from s1 throughout quite nicely. If s1 was 8/10, I'll give this one 7/10 for having a wholly contained storyline, good characters and writing, a new world of opportunity with it's own politics and sub-plots. Where it should get dinged, and I didn't, is that s1 was littered with nudity. S2 had a whopping two scenes in the entire 8ep and even those were weak and unwanted.

They can easily create s3 or as many seasons as they wish. It feels like they can get a good 4-5 seasons before the concept becomes tired and trite. But at least they'll have the flexibility to bring in new faces or cameo old ones.

Again thanks for the synopsis. Coincidentally just about every post you've made lately is on my watch list. I'm appreciating the added insight into the various shows / movies. It's proved to be quite helpful when deciding what to watch next. (y)

Netflix. I'm not very opinionated and watch anything horror and some comedy if I've heard about it before

I consider it a good show if I can't predict the next scene. The same with films

The one thing I can't figure out is why there's so many dubbed shows. I didn't know that was a thing anymore and I won't watch. The reason I watch is to hear everything, especially voice and soundtrack. Without that I may as well read a book ;)

Indeed. I have a tendency to watch a good amount of films that put good visuals over the film itself. As for the Jake character I also thought it was over the top I just found his body language interesting. I'm on the autism spectrum though (Aspergers) & I don't necessarily understand body language. I'm guessing I interpreted that aspect differently than the average viewer.

It just felt to me like he was doing a bad impression of Jim Carey doing the role.

In terms of my film watching I tend to do my movie watching while I'm eating my dinner / winding down the night. In those scenarios oftentimes something that looks good but doesn't require a ton of attention is what I'm looking for. It would definitely make a difference in how a film is perceived now that I think on it.

98% of mine is on the computer while I'm doing other stuff (playing on the phone or another screen, avoiding my day job, etc). I can't remember the last time I was focused on what I was watching. 🤷

I would agree mindset would have an impact on movie viewing. In my case I'm often looking for something relatively 'fluffy?' or at least something I don't have to be super focused on. I read fast enough that I can watch subtitled films without an issue while I eat but I digress. I'm sure it is quite likely that my viewing habits have an effect on my analysis. It's interesting to see how people look at completely different aspects of whatever topic is at hand (in this case films) when they are deciding how they feel about said subject though. No matter how one looks at it I wouldn't consider myself to be much of a movie critic. ;)

As I mentioned I tend to watch them with a pretty light handed view so to speak. Pretty much if the film isn't so bad I turn it off I'm usually alright with it. 😆
I do sit down & watch a film without distractions at times. I just happen to watch a movie or TV series with dinner most often. So that particular viewing "angle" is the one with which I generally view most films through. 🙂

I don't spend time on 'fluff'. However, I have lost many hours of my life to watching utterly horrible films, unable to stop until the end solely for the 'dont let it win' defiance and suffering. I'm a sadist that way, not seeking out crap, but finding it often and not dropping it until the end. :D

Cheers.

It just felt to me like he was doing a bad impression of Jim Carey doing the role.

98% of mine is on the computer while I'm doing other stuff (playing on the phone or another screen, avoiding my day job, etc). I can't remember the last time I was focused on what I was watching. 🤷

I don't spend time on 'fluff'. However, I have lost many hours of my life to watching utterly horrible films, unable to stop until the end solely for the 'dont let it win' defiance and suffering. I'm a sadist that way, not seeking out crap, but finding it often and not dropping it until the end. :D

Cheers.

You hit that nail right on the head! That's what that character was reminding me of & I wasn't realizing it. I had a friend that was crazier than a shit house rat (not his fault, he had a brain tumor but I digress) that was really into Jim Carey films & would "act" like him. That's were I was getting the body language thing from. It reminded me of my crazy friend / Jim Carey. Thanks for mentioning it & helping me to connect the dots. I don't know why but I'd completely spaced on that connection. :LOL:

I think the last time I really focused on what I was watching was 'Attack on Titan'. I quite enjoy that particular anime & am looking forward to the final season! <3 The backstory is complicated (& long) enough that for me anyway I want to be paying attention to get the most out of it. Other than that example I can't think of to much that I actually focus on. :unsure:

I think I may have used the wrong word in choosing to use the word "fluff". I meant it in more visual terms. As an example the movie I watched last night 'Shadow' fits the bill. The plot / storyline didn't really hold up all that well (often the case with movies based on books) & I wasn't impressed with most of the acting but I didn't mind watching it. I quite enjoyed the visual style though. I really should have chosen a different word. What I was trying to say is that I try to make sure the films I watch during dinner fall into a category were even if the plot / film itself turns out to be not quite up to par that the visuals end up being "cool" enough that I don't mind watching. Basically I'll try to watch stuff that even if the movie isn't up to par in some regards I can still come away from feeling like "Well at least the *insert visual (aliens, creatures, animation, etc). were worth seeing." type thing. :)

Apparently I have a similar experience with utterly horrible films. I to have wasted to many hours with the same defiance. ;) In my case it's exceedingly rare I don't at least try to make it through the film. Honestly I can only think of one film right off that I turned off, 'The Bad Batch'. The cast seemed decent but I just couldn't do it. I don't know if anyone else in the thread has seen the film but that's one film that I didn't make it through. I like B films, spoofs, etc. but I just didn't get 'The Bad Batch'. It just seemed BAD. 😁

Speaking of films were the visuals were a saving grace 'Shadow' would be one of those films. It's a Chinese film based upon a book. I wasn't impressed with the movie itself but there were some nice visuals. In particular the fight scenes shot top down in the rain over brick work made to look like Ying & Yang symbology was interesting. I enjoyed the visuals but the rest of the film left a lot to be desired. A much better example of what I meant when I incorrectly used the word "fluff".

Netflix. I'm not very opinionated and watch anything horror and some comedy if I've heard about it before

I consider it a good show if I can't predict the next scene. The same with films

The one thing I can't figure out is why there's so many dubbed shows. I didn't know that was a thing anymore and I won't watch. The reason I watch is to hear everything, especially voice and soundtrack. Without that I may as well read a book ;)

I see. To each there own. :) Just to clarify & make sure I'm responding correctly let me ask you this question first. I think you're referring to subbed not dubbed? To the best of my knowledge dubbed = voiced over. As opposed to subbed = translated words (subtitles). So if you like to hear all the voices you wold prefer dubbed over subbed versions of shows. The reason I ask is to clarify. As I'm not sure what it is you actually dislike? Dubbed versions of shows would have the voices. The voices just wouldn't be right IMHO at least. As such I'm not sure if you dislike dubbed shows in general or just those that are dubbed badly? :unsure:

The reason there are so many though is likely due to the fact that Netflix has a decent amount of content that is produced for / in markets other than English speaking ones. Personally I hate dubbed shows most of the time. However in my case it's not because I need to hear the voices. In my case I just find that generally speaking the dubs are terrible. In general I much prefer to watch them with subtitles. Subtitles aren't always accurate either but I'm familiar enough with them that I tend to automatically fix any improper translations as I see them in real time. As a verbal thinker subtitles end up working out good in my case. 'Attack on Titan' would be a perfect example of a show that exposes what I see as the gulf between subs & dubs. I really enjoy the show but I'm glad I started with the subtitled version! One night while I still had cable I was flipping through & ran into the show on 'Adult Swim'. I couldn't stand the dubs / voice acting. Honestly chances are that I wouldn't have watched the show had I started watching it in English. It's quite likely I might have missed out on something I would've really enjoyed had I been exposed to the Enlgish version first. In my experience there's very few shows or movies were I would prefer the dubbed version to the subbed version. As I stated to each there own though. I know there are plenty of people who prefer dubs to subs. :)

I think I may have used the wrong word in choosing to use the word "fluff". I meant it in more visual terms. As an example the movie I watched last night 'Shadow' fits the bill.

Thank you for clarifying. I'm ok with a sub-par film if it is visually satisfying, though I don't seek those out. Annihilation fits that description for me. It had a better than awful story and acting, but it was the visuals that made it for me. A determination I had in hindsight, nor intent beforehand.

In my case it's exceedingly rare I don't at least try to make it through the film. Honestly I can only think of one film right off that I turned off, 'The Bad Batch'.

30y ago, my friend and I walked out of Barbarians (body building twins doing a Conan type thing). We were the only ones who paid to see it. I would have stayed, but my friend wasn't for it. Aside from that, the worst film I can can recall watching, and I still didn't end it early (though I've blacked it out from memory) was Find the Lady with John Candy.

The reason there are so many though is likely due to the fact that Netflix has a decent amount of content that is produced for / in markets other than English speaking ones.

Agreed. They are having content created in other countries. I'm not sure how much of that is done to capture the regional markets, vs tapping into cheaper locations-actors-etc. It kinda works, if you can handle subs.

You can usually opt to watch in the original language with subtitles instead. I use subtitles even when I watch something in English so it’s no skin off my back lol. As I get older it’s harder and and harder to understand people when they talk.