• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ The Big & Dandy Storage Thread

I like how much thought you have put in. I would expect your drugs to last as long as is possible.

Worth noting that iron based oxygen absorbers probably use an equilibrium(?) and removal of moisture will release oxygen if this is the case.

I like how much thought you have put in. I would expect your drugs to last as long as is possible.

Worth noting that iron based oxygen absorbers probably use an equilibrium(?) and removal of moisture will release oxygen if this is the case.

Thanks, I am obsessive when it comes to things I love, and I also work in the medical industry, so I kind of find this process to be really natural and not tiresome at all, just routine.

Anyways, I am not sure what you mean by "balance", as I see it Iron rusts by inexorably attaching Oxygen molecules to its ferrous molecules, using water as a catalyst.
My expectations is for the Clear Baggie to be selective of Oxygen before of Water, so the Oxysorb sachet will absorb all the oxygen within the Thinner Mylar bag, and when it is void, it will start pulling oxygen out of the Clear Baggy, and then when all oxygen is balanced between inside and outside of the Clear Baggie, then the water molecules could begin to balance between the remaining water in the clay within the Oxysorb Sachet and the Silica Gel within the Clear Baggie.

But the spent water and oxygen used in the oxidation are not recoverable.

Other thing to notice is that at freezing temperatures there is no humidity in the air, so I would have to let the whole setup at room temperature for a whole day in order for the oxidation to occur freely, and maybe some silica adsorption. Once it goes back to the freezer there will be no humidity available again.

My only concern is for Oxygen molecules to cross the clear baggie faster than Water molecules, otherwise the Silica Gel would cancel the oxidation before it is fully achieved, but considering the Oxysorb sachet is powerful enough to absorb oxygen from a space at least 10 times bigger, I reckon that at least half of the oxygen could be consumed before the Silica stole the humidity from the clay in the Oxysorb sachet.

Hey a retailer of Oxysorb and Silica answered finally. Oxysorb will keep absorbing oxygen even with humidity near to zero, just slower. And Silica takes the humidity down to 40% RH, so as long as the jar is in room temperature the oxysorb will absorb oxygen, I guess after 12 hours or so it would have absorbed all of it, and then it is a good time to freeze in order to take humidity down to almost ZERO due to cold, where as if any humidity was out there in the air during the oxygen absorption the Silica would take the excess down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I am obsessive when it comes to things I love, and I also work in the medical industry, so I kind of find this process to be really natural and not tiresome at all, just routine.

Anyways, I am not sure what you mean by "balance", as I see it Iron rusts by inexorably attaching Oxygen molecules to its ferrous molecules, using water as a catalyst.
I didn't realise it was catalysed by water, in which case you are dead right. Thanks again for doing the research on this.

so I have a good amount of small glass screw top bottles that previously housed contact lens trials. They are roughly the same size as 5/8 dram vial if not a tad bit larger. They are clear glass (or super hard plastic, can't tell), and have previously only housed individual contact lens in sterile saline water.

KJq36Wkm.jpg

After having washed with soap and water and dried thoroughly , is there any reason these would not work for storage of various chemicals? I can spend $10 for some amber drams, but if these will work just as well why bother? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think there will severe degradation from some lsd sugar cubes I had for about 2 years? They are wrapped in wax paper in individual mini zip lock bags that are sealed with tape. They have never been exposed to air since they were made and packaged. The bags are in a amber glass jar. I organize my jars in based on how often I use that substance and/or how far in the future I plan to use it. they were in the jar I don't open that often. It's really humid and hot most of the year were I live which which really doesn't help.

Do you think there will severe degradation from some lsd sugar cubes I had for about 2 years? They are wrapped in wax paper in individual mini zip lock bags that are sealed with tape. They have never been exposed to air since they were made and packaged. The bags are in a amber glass jar. I organize my jars in based on how often I use that substance and/or how far in the future I plan to use it. they were in the jar I don't open that often. It's really humid and hot most of the year were I live which which really doesn't help.

As soon as humidity and oxygen is not in contact with the final material, and they are inside airtight containers, they should be good. I have my compounds on sealed amber vials inside a plastic zip, and these zips inside different jars, that also are organized in the same way than yours. Also tryptamines are very sensitive to high temperatures, therefore, having as less temperature as possible will help to reduce degradation.

Also take in consideration that dangerous levels of condensation can result from opening the recipients very quickly after getting them outside the freezer/fridge.

I noticed some degradation with my al-lad blotters which were kept in the same jar for less time but I didn't have the hits in individual sealed bags. I also could have been mistaking degradation for unevenly laid dosages since I have no proof the person laying them didn't make a mistake.

That is so true, and something I completely overlooked. I've seen old, brittle plastic bags, and neglected to make the connection to the ones holding my compounds. I'm going to have to get some glass. Some of those chems have been in the original bag for 5+ years now.

I read that story about the sealed Delysid, but I wonder. Even though it was sealed brown glass at room temperature, was it in any way evacuated (vacuum) or under inert atmosphere (nitrogen or argon), or was it just plainly sealed with room air?

I keep my things in a dessicated (lots of oven dried epsom salts in the bottom of the) big, white HDPE pill bottle, protected from light sources. I used to keep it in the freezer, and did the whole 'warm for a few hours before opening' thing, but for the last couple years I've just kept the jar at room temp.

The only one I can visibly see any degradation at all is my aMT freebase. It's in a plastic bag, but unlike the others I wrapped the bag in aluminum foil. It used to be printer paper white, and now it's off-white (after about 4 years), slowly going in the direction of browning. So I need to take another measure to ensure its survival.

The one I'm most concerned with is the LSD. I can't visibly see degradation because it's on blotter paper. The blotter paper is wrapped in aluminum foil and the foil is in a plastic bag, in the dessicated pill bottle at room temperature. The environment is dry, but I wonder about the effects of oxygen.

The thing with LSD is that the only way of knowing my dose is through a 'somewhat reliable' information channel that they were initially laid at 100ug per 1/4"^2. Having an underdose and trying to guess the current content would be a pain.

Like many others, LSD is one of those things where my stock is all I have and can't get more, so I have to preserve what I have and maintain dosing info. I wish I was in NL; give a lab a tab and get a number in return. :)

I have DOC ,2c-e, 2c-c, 2c-p, 2c-d in ziplock bags in a drawer. Till the next year i will have very little money, and will get the vials later. Could the ziplock bags in one year absorb the phens and biodegrade or will it be ok ?
Thanks.

I have DOC ,2c-e, 2c-c, 2c-p, 2c-d in ziplock bags in a drawer. Till the next year i will have very little money, and will get the vials later. Could the ziplock bags in one year absorb the phens and biodegrade or will it be ok ?
Thanks.
Phenethylamines are incredibly stable even at room temperature. No need to even put those in the freezer.
I think you are fine!

Yes, they'll be fine. Most phens will last longer than a human lifetime. They have found mescaline in 5000 year old cactus that is still fine, and they definitely weren't in ziplock bags. :)

A note on Lysergamide blotters stored in cellophane...

The following test was performed to answer the research question: "Does a significant amount of [Lysergamide] rub-off or otherwise separate from blotters when they are stored inside cellophane?"

Methodology: After storing samples of 1P-LSD and AL-LAD in a dry, cold, oxygen-free environment for over 16 months inside tight, vacuum-sealed cellophane bags (so tight that the cellophane pulled into the blotters' perforations making marks on the cellophane), the samples were removed and the cellophane was placed into an Ehrlich test pouch.

3i1OWG.jpg

Results: Ehrlich tests of the Lysergamide-exposed cellophane yielded no positive results for the presence of an Indole compound while the blotters themselves did indicate the presence of an Indole compound (immediately for AL-LAD and after several hours for 1P-LSD at room temperature). Thus, either none or an insignificant amount of 1P-LSD and/or AL-LAD escaped from the blotters and adhered to the cellophane.

Discussion: No significant loss of research materials (i.e., Lysergamides) can be expected when storing blotters in cellophane. If, however, blotters are stored in other plastics (e.g., zip-locks, cling-film, etc.) or under different conditions (e.g., hot, humid, oxygen-rich environments, etc.), researchers might well find different results than this preliminary study. Of additional interest is that while cellophane is considered to be semi-permeable, the blotters were still tightly sealed even after 16+ months.

Last edited:
according to the wikipedia page on oxygen scavengers, those little O2 absorber packets that use iron oxide must be in a 65%+ humidity environment to work, making them useless for powdered drug storage.

if using a desiccant packet, would powdered ascorbic acid be an effective choice for sucking up the oxygen?

In most cases, light and moisture cause most of the damage. Putting your chemicals in a sealed container with some desiccant is usually good enough for it to last for years. If you do want to protect your drugs from oxygen though, you can displace the air in a container with inert gas and then seal it quickly. Cans of inert gas are sold as wine preserver.

So Ive come to ask about the storage of my sulphourous 2ctx's, specifically 2ct2 and 2ct7. And my halogenated 2cxs, specifically 2ci.
Currently they are stored in small epindorph tubes in a jar of rice and kept in a lockbox in my cool basement.

I know phens are supposed to be quite stable but I thought I recalled something about sulphourous/halogenated ones degrading faster than average 2cxx?
Ive had them for 5-7 years always stored this way but atm I dont trip much and when I do its usually on trypts/lysergics. So Id like to preserve these as long as possible.

Given I likely wont be using them much, do you think storing in the freezer (adding a pack of silica gel to the mason jars) would be advisable compared to storing at room temp (usually about 17-19 C)?

If it's stored airtight, or reasonably airtight with desiccant, and you allow for a reclimatization period when unloading as to avoid condensation, then it's definitely not disadvantageous.

Unless it's ignoring the real question of why you need advanced hoarding techniques for medicines for overcoming hoarding behaviour.. ;)