• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy 'Memory and Psychedelics' Thread

2cb-fly is a lightweight drug as regards mental stuff very easy to contro, DOC may be different.
zophen.

Sounds like she has a fear/obsession revolving around death. It's such an understanable and natural fear.

Without wanting to suggest things that cound make the situation worse, it might be worth looking into how ketamine has been used to help people with a severe fear of death by indicing a near death like experience with ketamine. It's not identical (I had a NDE when I was 13 - it stopped my fear of dying/death), but it's close enough to help settle the mind of someone who has become obsessed/preoccupied with the whole dying process. I will stress that you have to thoroughly read up about this sort of thing before jumping straight into ketamine use, but it can help. Look for stuff by Dr Karl Janssen about ketamine & the NDE - he's poineered work with people with debilitating fear of death & terminal patients

Once I drank 150g of whisky, then ate 4 grams of shroomz with a MAOI and then smoked 3 joints. What happened to me was sth similar. When I opened my eyes I firstly saw everything normal, then sudenly everything began melting. Until it turned to sth greyish. The same happened to sounds, smell etc. Then the greyish thing faded away and turned into a light field with a figure in the center. I consider this figure to be my soul. It was sth similar to a picture of Alex Grey (Ayahuaska brew or sth like this). However, this figure wasn't sitting still but was moving around. It was energetic, but was in some way empty. Then I realised I have to learn about life way more.

This happened several times when I tried to open my eyes. It didn't make any difference between open and closed eyes. I guess it isn't sth unnormal with pschedelics.

it sounds like a rare occurence but highly feasible due to psychedelics very often giving enhanced to extreme amounts of sensory input into your brain. It could quite possibly be that the brain at some point reaches a critical load and has to shut something down in the brain to compensate for the sensory overload. In your case it was your visual input in the two cases its happened to me it was memory.
long ago when I was younger and dumber I was at a party and did a lot of 2C-T-2 and just simply blacked out for 5 hours. from what friends say I was completely awake and lucid the whole time but I cant remember anything.

recently 15mg of DOC produced a more interesting effect. Instead of blacking out from sensory overload I remained completely cognicent of what was going on just my short term memory was completely gone. I couldnt remember anything I said almost the instant it came out of my mouth. Also cant remember much of the vast amount of thoughts that passed through my head. I experienced complete sensory overload on all aspects and I believe the only reason I didnt black out completely was because my brain compensated by shutting down certain aspects of my brain (ie short term memory, olfactory senses, enahnced touch perception, much of long term memory access, temperature regulation)

i have a few kinds of blindnesses

1 on DMT i have had an image ( my red lit ceiling get "frozen" onto my vision so that when i got up and walked to the bathroom , peed and came came to the living room I still had the crystal clear view of my ceiling infront of my eyes. I laid back down on a matress , looked up at the ceiling and waited and evetualy realtime vision came back.

2 white vision ( on an MDMA/crystal combo with LSD ) I saw pure white for I dont know how long . eyes were open , blinking etc . saw only white.

3 on mushrooms I went blind a few times seeing
fields of tiny 'pixels" of uncountable colors .
went on for quite some time. that one was not scarey.

4, blind as far as seeing blackness on a variey of things many times for ONLY A SHORT TIME THOUGH . seconds , not minutes.

there is a neurological explanantion for
each kind I found out later, and nothing to fear .

Long Term Memory

One thing I always loved with psychedelic is that I can recall long gone memory. I can be in an exact moment I was when I was young at 6 years old. I can relive the exact feeling and I then forget about it. Does this happen to you?

Yeah but I'm never quite sure whether what I'm remembering is the whole truth or whether the psychedelic is filling in the blank bits with it's own stuff.

Psychedelics have been one contributing factor to my excitement in rekindling 'long lost' memories of childhood.

All it takes is a determination to do so, and one will start pulling up all sorts of things that have been completely 'forgotten.' It has made my life much more richer.

This falls under 'set.' It is much less likely that someone will have these experiences, like you described, if one has no interest for this type of thing. In this way, all your thoughts, actions, habits, patterns add up to directly influence your experience while under a psychedelic.

Are you sure it's not false memory tho?

What does 'false memory' even mean, Ismene? Its unclear whether or not someone can actually have a false memory; or rather, whether the acceptance of this phrase indicates that all memories are false.

A memory is nothing more than a sequential ordering of neurochemical releases/activations/neuronal bonds (i.e. it is identical to the physical brain state that necessitates the possession of said memory).

I gather what you mean by false memory is something along the lines of a memory that does not refer to an actual event in the (one's personal) past. In that case, I would say a large percentage of everyone's memories are 'false' insofar as it appears to be an innate capacity of the human mind to construct one's memories in such a way so as to incorporate more than the given physical (perceptual) stimuli (this would fall under the headings of imagination, fantasy, deeply ingrained biases, etc).

Actually, I'm fairly certain that if you could show that one's imaginations, fantasies, etc are causal effects of the perceptual stimuli, then ipso facto, the incorporation of this into one's memories would not necessitate a truth value of false.

You would also have to prove that one's memories actually refer to anything at all, rather than being simply (i.e. VERY complex) brain states (the burden of proof is on the person whose argument is contingent on showing that memories refer to actual past events, I don't think they do).

In addition, you must be aware of the streamlining of consciousness (in that one's perception never takes in all stimuli, but rather discriminates against 'unnecessary' stimuli). In that case one never has a complete memory of ANY event. If something is incomplete does that mean it is false? I could surely imagine a counterfactual to support this (at least for some instances of memories). For instance, if a person drew two cards from a deck and placed them in front of you, and you only noticed (remembered) that she drew one card, and further told me that she only drew one card, we would be inclined to say that your memory is incomplete and false, or at the best, very misleading.

There is another way, I think, to defeat the usage of 'false memories' that involves the logical operation of disjunctions, but I will let THAT sleeping dog lie.

If psychedelics have shown me anything, I have become aware of how thin the line between so called 'reality' and the dynamics of my inner mind is.

And, finally, a popular philosophical thought experiment: how can we know whether or not we are actually brains in a vat?

when i get in fairy deep, it seems as if I am in a nice marble cavern and there are statues carved into every squaRE INCH OF THE WALLS OF THE CAVE.

the figures that are there are reactive, and may emerge either to play out scenes or to take control of my life's animation and action.

sometimes it is historical, sometimes it is combinatory, where more than just one marble statuette emerges and combines chimerically with some other(s) to form what never has been.

I think this marble cave is actually a glimpse of the holographic memory system operating, that it always operates by pieces of record reanimating and pieces of gestalt triggering the animation process, while pieces of life get carved into the holographic marble matrix.

psychedelic helps to see it by keeping things suspended longer to be marvelled at.
(slower fading of signals of every type).

I experience this all the time when I'm high on some good buds but I often regret thinking about it since I dont even know if I'm distorting my memory or just fooling myself.Is my memory a product of my imagination or is my imagination a product of my memory?I'd rather not think about it and just consider my psychedelic experiences worthy of contemplation without taking them to be absolute truths, like anything else.

memory / cognitive issues from psychedelics?

personally, i've never seen any research to point to this side effect, nor have i experienced it, but just out of curiosity, have any bluelighters suffered from memory problems or cognitive problems that you know stem from entheogen use?

Integration.
Pot, psychedelics, coffee.
Integrating the experience so that one can assume the more potent reality handed down by our more than four fathers.

It's all part of the process though, and either it clicks or it doesn't. If it doesn't, you spend a week or two in chaos, if it does, you spend the next month in complete harmony, and the rest of the time trying to integrate the experience that provoked the last growth. It becomes easier over time, as each new experience aids the self which is integrating, creating a quickly evolving interface.

I also have a thread about brain clenching, or electricity. And I can hear noises from inside my skull, like a baby kicking or my brain using a typewriter.
It's not bad,
it's actually amusing, I can sort of determine things.
Can't remember dreams while smoking weed,
Can't remember states of being when it matters most,
some loops take days to recover from, and the memory-pattern recognition difficulties don't help.

"This is a thief *holds up booze* you can't bargain with a thief, unless you want to give something of yourself away. " You never know what you have until you lose it. Thus, why death is so exciting.

I've had social development issues (and probably some cognitive deficit) from smoking weed during adolescence (one of the reasons I think it should be legalized and made 21+, it's a proven fact that smoking weed during adolescence stunts growth in the area of the brain responsible for socializing and judgement making), but never from any psychedelics.

During my peak period of psychedelic abuse, which lasted for several months, I was tripping from 1-3 times per week (usually on LSD or mushrooms). I believe that this level of usage produced a significant impairment of my memory and cognitive skills, but it's hard to say for sure, because this time period overlapped with my peak ecstasy/MDMA abuse. However, it started earlier, and I was already experiencing what in retrospect seem to be deficits even before I started to overdo the MDXX.

From September of '06, to July '07, I was tripping at least 3 weekends out of a month, most often every single weekend. 2c-i, mushrooms, and 2c-e, mainly. In that order of frequency as well.

I honestly felt just fine. My mental health also seemed fairly stable. At the same time, though, I started a job and stopped living such a sedentary life style. I know that made me feel much better in general.

Last edited: