View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy DMT Thread - The Fifth Symphony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if this has already been posted/discussed.

Psychoactive compound activates mysterious receptor

(PhysOrg.com) -- A hallucinogenic compound found in a plant indigenous to South America and used in shamanic rituals regulates a mysterious protein that is abundant throughout the body, University of Wisconsin-Madison researchers have discovered.

The finding, reported in the Feb. 13 issue of Science, may ultimately have implications for treating drug abuse and/or depression. Many more experiments will be needed, the researchers say.

Scientists have been searching for years for naturally occurring compounds that trigger activity in the protein, the sigma-1 receptor. In addition, a unique receptor for the hallucinogen, called dimethyltryptamine (DMT), has never been identified.

The UW-Madison researchers made the unusual pairing by doing their initial work the "old-fashioned," yet still effective, way. They diagrammed the chemical structure of several drugs that bind to the sigma-1 receptor, reduced them to their simplest forms and then searched for possible natural molecules with the same features. Biochemical, physiological and behavioral experiments proved that DMT does, in fact, activate the sigma-1 receptor.

"We have no idea at present if or how the sigma-1 receptor may be connected to hallucinogenic activity," says senior author Arnold Ruoho, chair of pharmacology at the UW-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health. "But we believe that the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) may be interested in biological mechanisms underlying psychoactive and addictive drug action."

In addition to being a component of psychoactive snuffs and sacramental teas used in native religious practices in Latin America, DMT is known to be present in some mammalian tissues, and it has also been identified in mammalian blood and spinal fluid. Elevated levels of DMT and a related molecule have been found in the urine of schizophrenics.

Ruoho speculates that the hallucinogen's involvement may mean that the sigma-1 receptor is connected in some fashion to psychoactive behavior. When his team injected DMT into mice known to have the receptor, the animals became hyperactive; mice in which the receptor had been genetically removed did not.

"Hyperactive behavior is often associated with drug use or psychiatric problems," says Ruoho. "It's possible that new, highly selective drugs could be developed to inhibit the receptor and prevent this behavior."

The study revealed an additional neurologic link by confirming that the sigma-1 receptor and some compounds that bind to it inhibit ion channels, which are important for nerve activity. Work by many researchers — including some from UW-Madison — initially showed this relationship in earlier studies.

Some studies have also linked the receptor to the action of antidepressant drugs, and National Institutes of Health (NIH) scientists recently found that it appears to serve as a "chaperon," helping proteins to fold properly.

The Wisconsin researchers found that DMT is derived from the naturally occurring amino acid tryptophan and is structurally related to the neurotransmitter serotonin. This finding, Ruoho says, illustrates the mantra often used in the biological processing of natural molecules: Nothing goes to waste.

"Our findings support the idea that biochemical alterations of molecules such as tryptophan can produce simple compounds such as DMT that may target other regulatory pathways served by sigma-1 receptors," he says.

DMT may also reflect the presence of an even larger family of natural compounds that arise from other structurally related amino acids that may further regulate the receptor, Ruoho adds.

"It may well be that these different, naturally derived chemical forms regulate the sigma-1 receptor in tissue and organ-specific ways," he says.

Source: University of Wisconsin-Madison

http://www.physorg.com/news153670865.html

Well after the weekend just past, I watched two female friends get their first taste of DMT (one had experienced 5-methoxyDMT before) and they both agreed that they felt more of a (to quote Iggy Pop) 'lust for life' & other comments like life affirming that to me scream quite spectacular antidepressant activity to me (neither were depressed, but the descriptions they gave just fit what antidepressants are supposed to do).

Maybe the sigma receptor has a hitherto unseen role in mood regulation

yes it is quite a stark chemical contrast to see somebody use DMT like that. You can almost see the brain changes occurring in them...its like an unlocking for the goodness of life.

I wonder if a low dose DMT patch could be made? I would love to figure out how to make one and test drive such a thing.

Well after the weekend just past, I watched two female friends get their first taste of DMT (one had experienced 5-methoxyDMT before) and they both agreed that they felt more of a (to quote Iggy Pop) 'lust for life' & other comments like life affirming that to me scream quite spectacular antidepressant activity to me (neither were depressed, but the descriptions they gave just fit what antidepressants are supposed to do).

Maybe the sigma receptor has a hitherto unseen role in mood regulation

I definitely have felt anti depressant effects from smoking DMT at any dose. Low or high. It seems to make your heart and soul bubble up inside you and you feel all warm and at peace with life. DMT is a beautiful thing. <3

I wonder if other psychedelics activate this receptor?

If they 'don't fit' themselves, but there is still activation of the receptor it might suggest that other psychedelics 'modulate' endogenous DMT (unfounded/uneducated speculation on my part)...

I really like this type of research. It shows there's much we still don't know about how psychedelics work and that more research needs to be done...

It seems to make your heart and soul bubble up inside you and you feel all warm and at peace with life

But unlike opiates which also produce the warmth & peace with life. Unlike them, DMT doesn't seem to switch off emotional responses (opiates seem quite bad for dulling emotional responses to any sort of situation)

I always just feel more like ME after I smoke DMT- more complete or something .

Re. the acid/base MHRB extraction technique -

The instructions I have say that the freeze-precipitation of the DMT/naphtha solution must occur in a freezer for 3 days. However, I don't believe I can keep drugs in my freezer for that long... will the DMT precipitate from the naphtha for the most part in five or six hours - or is the three day freeze necessary? If not, could one just evaporate the naphtha from the solution in a baking dish and scrape up the crystals once dry?

be patient, wait the three days. if your totally impatient, you'd get a better yield evaporating of the solvent but at the expense of purity.

Thanks for the response.

I have patience - my problem is that I'm not living on my own, and if I leave a DMT / naphtha solution in my freezer during the day, there's a possibility that somebody will discover it, which would be highly undesirable. :\

What's the difference in purity? Can it be taken care of for the most part with an ammonia wash?

Re. the acid/base MHRB extraction technique -

The instructions I have say that the freeze-precipitation of the DMT/naphtha solution must occur in a freezer for 3 days. However, I don't believe I can keep drugs in my freezer for that long... will the DMT precipitate from the naphtha for the most part in five or six hours - or is the three day freeze necessary? If not, could one just evaporate the naphtha from the solution in a baking dish and scrape up the crystals once dry?

You can leave it for 6-12 hours and everything should precipitate. If the naptha is CLEAR not foggy it has finished precipitating and you can take it out and pour off the naptha and stick the deems under a lite fan for super fast drying, or just set it out on the counter and it will evaporate in hours. 3 days is WAY excessive IMO. <3

^ Thanks for the response, karma.

I'll try and leave it in as long as possible - if not, I can always resort to evaporation.

The only 2 problems with evaporation are the fumes and if the naptha pulled anything other than DMT it will stay in the collection tray... this is usually only a problem if you are towards the end of the extraction and have already done many pulls... Have fun! <3

I had some powered dmt on my finger from rubbing it across my desk after finishing putting it away. I didnt want to take everything out so out of curiosity I snorted it. Pretty much "AHH FUCK MY NOSE IS GUNNA MELT OFF sums it up.

^^ what dose do you suppose you insuflated?? How'd that go?? I cant wait to give it a go <3

100mg gives you apparently a strong (and long) +3. A guy on here awhile ago (WALKEDONTHEMOON) talked about seeing the world break down to the individual cellular level and feeling himself break down to an individual cell, and then divide and reform to become himself again. Pretty trippy!

I have snorted 45mg and its nice. It burns a LOT though.

Nowadays if I want that length of trip I would probably inject it as an acetate salt intramuscularly or subcutaneously (after wheel filter of course).

Been trying some self-healing today. Wrote down some negative actions and thoughts I have been doing/having lately. Going to burn them ritually later. Not that I wish they hadn't happened, what's done is done. Just want to remove such thoughts and actions from my life and self. Just smoked some DMT for the first time in a while, a lowish dose. Was a somber experience, a dark red/maroon amorphous being seemed dissapointed with me, but it still felt it was therapeutic.

I'd assume that before insufflating it, converting your DMT to a salt would serve to reduce burn somewhat - correct?

Not sure why but this just dosnt seem like it would work, from reading MANY other teks you would need something to pull the alkolid out of the Mimosa Root bark like lighter fluid or naptha.

It would work but only if an MAO is ingested. In this form, it is more powerfull and lasts longer. This is the Aayahuasca form.

Id rather smoke DMT though. 10 minutes is long enough to give you something to think about for a lifetime.:\:\

Status
Not open for further replies.