• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Health The Big & Dandy Bipolar Disorder & Psychedelics Thread

I don't have any advice on whether you should trip or not... but I would imagine you would have a significantly different experience depending on whether you were manic or depressed at the time.

I have personally found psychedelics to help me work out some issues when I was feeling down but not exactly depressed. Also I don't think I would ever want to trip while speeding away under the influence of amphetamines or some other stimulant. I know its not exactly the same but pherhaps it applies somewhat to your situation?

bluedolphin said:
Salvia also has a beneficial effect on bipolar folks, tending to level them out for a couple days or more afterwards.

8o Really? This is interesting. Salvia tends to be a psychotic nightmare for a significant portion of people who try it. It'd be interesting if it acted a sort of "reset button" for certain people though. Is this your own experience, or something you've seen in research , etc?

This is my own experience, and I've suggested it to others who have found it beneficial as well.

There is no need to "break through" with the Salvia... much lighter doses will be just fine for this particular therapeutic purpose.

Hey so thought id contribute... read most of the posts to this topic

I'm diagnosed bi-polar and have done a pretty large variety of psychedelics, as well as things like MDMA.

MDMA I would say being bipolar is the worst idea on the planet atleast for me. The comedown is just downright frightening.

As for tripping...

On ups I would say with me it varies alot from experience to experience and also what substance is being used. Anytime i start out in anyway edgey or "prickly", as my girlfriend puts it, is generally a bad idea because sometime during the trip itll lead to a pretty bad emotional crash. But that pretty much comes down to controlling the environment and not messing around with stuff when shit is going on in my life. Also depending on the trip it can have a much later impact after the trip to my emotions if i get something in my head and brood on it.

An example of an experience that was on an up where i made some mistakes and didnt care for my own limits...

Earlier this summer after a night at summerfest me and a friend took some 2c-b. That night i had run into someone who has a pretty negative influence on my life, so I was in kind of an underlying dark mood starting off even though i was more upbeat and not thinking about it when i took it. That night went really well sat around telling some really dark jokes as the floor was caving in underneath us...

Where the mistake was is that the following night on about 3 hours of sleep dosed again only this time a hit of lsd and a half of the 2c-b i took the night before. My reasoning, I had tripped without my girlfriend who was going to be tripping for the first time that night, and i wanted to experience that with her. For most of the night it was an extremely pleasant experience, my girlfriend was tripping for the first time, one of my closest friends there to talk with, falling into a strong sense of egodeath(which was unsettling at first) but an overall positive experience. The next morning ,however, after all the visual bells and whistles had gone and it had become mostly mental things got ugly. I started to brood and feel selfconscious about the previous night and basically tripping over being upset over seeing someone. From there my thoughts just started spiraling out of control about my entire life, and I just had a complete emotional breakdown. I was lucky in that I had people there to try to comfort me because i honestly dont know how i would have handled it if I were alone.

On downs......................its just an entirely entirely bad idea. Ive gone as far as being suicidal after the dumb mistake of tripping on a down, which i hope never to make again.

all on occasion it seems to make my swings take a more rapid pace which normally seems to be like 1 to 4 weeks and takes it down to a week or less which is really confusing.

For all I've written it basically comes down to, overall, in being the bipolar person even without psychedelics your mind can race around and dig into deep dark holes, and you have to remember that psychedelics do that to so its just gunna increase that factor in your mind, which can lead to both good and bad things.

well hope I atleast gave a small amount of insight.

bluedolphin said:
Salvia also has a beneficial effect on bipolar folks, tending to level them out for a couple days or more afterwards.

Yeah I would take this with one of those YMMV grains of salt. I'm not bipolar, but it runs big time in my family, and I'm prone to anxiety. And salvia has caused some unsettling aftereffects, like painful lingering anxiety tingles for days. The salvia trip itself has been unpleasant the few times I've used it, so that may have something to do with it.

I wasn't aware of the warnings about bipolar and MDMA, I'm glad I looked through this thread, as that seems like something I ought to stay away from.

So far, I've gotten great results with LSD and 2c's on stabilizing mood, and lasting anxiety relief. And I feel good about it too, like the effect is from legitimately overcoming anxiety, not just patching it. Whether that's the case or it's some kind of chemical afterglow, I don't know.

yeah

i have bi polar and depression disorder. i have been dying to take lsd and mesciline for like 2 years and i know like everything about both of them but never tryed them. i take depakote, welbutrin, zoloft, and risperidone. think id be good to take either lsd or mesciline (not at the same time) while taking the other drugs?

I thought this type of thread was banned.....

I thought that if you used search engine you would find risperad... will cover the receptor...

You need to ask what all of those meds are doing to your system...I think you are overloaded...

If psy MDs took all that at once...tried their own medicine....they would never prescribe all that to one person at the same time...

Your body is your castle....

Dont add any unknown chemical...substance....your life could depend on it...:X

yeah i fee ya, the reason why im on so many right now is cause i switched meds but you cant just stop taking a med so the doctor is going to like ween me off of it. and yeah i did look around on the internet a lot but found nothing with all the medications im taking and a lot of it i think is unreliable too cause im really interested in trying lsd

and also, im not a zombie on all these meds like you would think, but i know its not good for me thats why me and the doc are working on getting me off some of these

healing bipolar disorder?

Hi,

I have been doing a lot of research on the Salvia plant and the Caapi vine. All that i have seen with bipolar is that is has a great chance of healing bipolar disorder but no evidence that it does. my question is does it have the healing power to not cure but treat bipolar. the reason I ask is because i have bipolar and i am looking for a natural treatment for my disorder. Taking lithium and Abilify is not on my list of things i want to do and i really want to get off them so i can be re-united with lucy and ayahuasca.

Salvia has been said to heal severe depression and other mental disorders and leads me to believe that it heals bipolar

Caapi is an MAOI and that means its an anti-depressant and it is used by shamans to heal lots of things. this also leads me to believe it has the capability to treat bipolar.

neither of these "medicines" are illegal and can be purchased from many places online. so if it does treat bipolar then many people can stop suffering from bipolar and have fun tripping while healing themselves.

what do you think is it possible to heal or treat bipolar with salvia and caapi or is my thoughts way off?

if you can think of something else i should try that is legal let me know.

Thank you,
ELF

some types of MAOIs are prescribed for depression, but ingesting B.Cappi isn't the same thing as taking a regular regiment of an MAOI.

To the best of my knowledge, shaman use the plant as a way to divine what is wrong with others, not as a treatment.

And I'm not sure where you head that salvia is an effective antidepressant, but have you ever used salvia? for me it only made me very removed from reality, and i can imagine that depending on the person it could make someone's bipolar symptoms much worse.

You need to realize there's no "magic drug" that will relieve your bipolar disorder.
And going into a drug experience with that mentality will only lead to disappointment, like people taking acid and expecting to be completely enlightened by it.

im not talking about smoking the plant or even smoking an extract. the way i was planing on taking it is through ingesting a cold tea or chewing it for a mild affect to make me realize the core problems and resolve them through therapy. does that make sense?

the dose i would take is 5g of leaves a session and i would lay in the dark and close my eyes and relax then let my thoughts take over so i can think through my episode with the help of the plant. having bipolar it makes sense but i could be wrong. what do you think?

I have been doing a lot of research on the Salvia plant and the Caapi vine. All that i have seen with bipolar is that is has a great chance of healing bipolar disorder but no evidence that it does. my question is does it have the healing power to not cure but treat bipolar.
Caapi contains several beta-carbolines, which are not only MAOIs, but also have direct but subtle effects on Serotonin Receptors. As such, Caapi holds the same risks as other Psychedelics like shrooms and DMT in exasperating your problem.

the reason I ask is because i have bipolar and i am looking for a natural treatment for my disorder. Taking lithium and Abilify is not on my list of things i want to do and i really want to get off them so i can be re-united with lucy and ayahuasca.

This suggests that you used to take these psychedelics, and now suffer from bipolar, and so you no longer do? You do realize that in all likelihood it was those very drugs that had brought it out?

Salvia has been said to heal severe depression and other mental disorders and leads me to believe that it heals bipolar
"Has been said"? I'd do more research if I were you. And hope to god that McKenna isn't one of your sources.

Caapi is an MAOI and that means its an anti-depressant
No, it means that it inhibits certain enzymes. That's all.

It may cure certain people with certain types of depression.

and it is used by shamans to heal lots of things. this also leads me to believe it has the capability to treat bipolar.
See, this is a very unhealthy train of thought, IMO.

If you were to take a shaman from Siberia or the Amazon or New Guinea, and present him to a psychiatrist in, say America, (assming they all spoke the same language), you'll probably find that this shaman fits all criteria for half the mental-disorders in the DSM-IV.

Much of mental illness is socially-relative. And a healer in one society may be sick of "healerosis" in another. Same goes for the patients.

My point is that an Amazonian shaman, using an amazonian medicine, will likely not be the best choice to heal your western mental disease. (Diseases of the body may be a different matter), because what you call a disease may not be a disease to them, and what they call medicine may not be medicine to you.

neither of these "medicines" are illegal and can be purchased from many places online. so if it does treat bipolar then many people can stop suffering from bipolar and have fun tripping while healing themselves.

So I guess you DO realize that they don't really work. If they worked, then many more people would have been using them, wouldn't they?

what do you think is it possible to heal or treat bipolar with salvia and caapi or is my thoughts way off?

if you can think of something else i should try that is legal let me know.
I'll give you my own experience. I was diagnosed with bipolar II and was for the most part healed using Ketamine and Gabapentin intermittently.

For info on how I used the former, you can check this out: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=372731

I don't know what kind of bipolar you have though, and if it is of the Type I, my method may not work for you.

^While I agree that unresearched self-help psychedelic therapy is a bad idea, it seems like the OP is in the research stage, which is a good thing. And I must take issue with
This suggests that you used to take these psychedelics, and now suffer from bipolar, and so you no longer do? You do realize that in all likelihood it was those very drugs that had brought it out?
While psych's can potentially be a contributing factor, there's no way for us to know. And I'd seriously doubt aya & LSD caused bipolar in anyone.

And

So I guess you DO realize that they don't really work. If they worked, then many more people would have been using them, wouldn't they?
Bio-identical hormones work great for birth control, sans side effects, but no one uses them because pharmaceutical companies can't patent and profit from naturally occurring substances. Hence THC extracted from plants is schedule I (in the U.S.) and THC synthed in a lab is schedule III.

While I'm completely uncertain of the efficacy of the treatment the OP suggested, it may be worth looking into, may or may not be worth actually testing.

thank you for proving me wrong so many times ;)

i havn't accually done lsd or ayahuasca but i want to. and thank you for that link on ketamine i dont know where i can get it but i want to try it now. thank you very much
ELF

And I'd seriously doubt aya & LSD caused bipolar in anyone.
Uh ah! My exact words were "brought out", not "caused". Big difference there. And the difference is not even semantic, it is grammatical.

Bio-identical hormones work great for birth control, sans side effects, but no one uses them because pharmaceutical companies can't patent and profit from naturally occurring substances. Hence THC extracted from plants is schedule I (in the U.S.) and THC synthed in a lab is schedule III.

While I'm completely uncertain of the efficacy of the treatment the OP suggested, it may be worth looking into, may or may not be worth actually testing.
This political (?) rant is fine and dandy, but I don't see exactly what it has to do with what I said. :)

thank you for proving me wrong so many times ;)

Sorry if my post was a bit blunt, it was definitely not my intent to "prove you wrong", just to make you think critically of the direction you're going.

i havn't accually done lsd or ayahuasca but i want to.
In that case I apologize for assuming.

and thank you for that link on ketamine i dont know where i can get it but i want to try it now. thank you very much
ELF
It worked well for me, and since the time I posted that, for at least 20 other people. There is scientific research to back it, too. However, as with everything else, I encourage you to do your own research first :).

You may find positive effects out of salvia. I certainly have helped change my outlook in a more positive way through a dozen or two salvia trips I have had in life. Most psychedelics have done this for me though, so I can't say that salvia is unique in any way.

I think the psychedelic that helped me out the most in this regard would probably be MDA, and also mushrooms. IV MDA was the most positive and beneficial, life changing spiritual experience I have had to date.

Bi-polar disorder is pretty tough to treat in general, let alone with psychedelics; that doesn't mean it can't be done however, just that it's a difficult balancing act to pull off. Something that works for one person could do nothing for another, and trigger a hellishly manic episode for someone else. Be careful and make sure you have some kind of "tie to reality" throughout the whole process.

That being said, I've tried both pharmaceutical medicines (Seroquel, Sodium Valproate) and psychedelics/dissociatives, and at least for me the latter has been the most beneficial. Like Jamshyd I find ketamine to be of particular interest (although I haven't tried his particular dosing regimen) since it seems to allow one to simply think normally-not manic nor depressive. Which for the bi-polar folk out there is almost unimaginable-floating through life on an even keel. Salvia I feel can be helpful in certain contexts, but more so than the others mentioned in this thread I find it too immediately disorienting to get much out of. If you're going for a "blast the doors of perception open" sort of cathartic trip, than yes salvia might be worth looking into, but don't go knocking on Sally's door hoping for easy answers. The same can probably be said for the Cappi vine but I have not tried it myself, maybe someone can chip in on that one.

OP, it's awesome that you're taking a proactive role and thinking unconventionally in finding a solution for your bipolar disorder. However, it's unwise to assume that psychedelic drugs are a reliable catalyst for healing. You have to remember that psychedelics are unpredictable, and with your bipolar troubles on top of that risk, you could end up having a very negative experience that'll leave you even more confused and off kilter.

I'm sure others have experienced differently, but my impression of salvia was that it's pure chaos (however i smoked an extract; i didn't chew a quid). If you're set on using a psychedelic, I think acid or shrooms (with some benzos on hand in case things go too sour) would be your best bet.

I understand your hesitancy to go on lithium or abilify. I deal with some anxiety and depression, and I have found that cognitive behavioral therapy in addition to a healthy lifestyle is much more effective than psychiatric drug therapy. But in your case, don't completely write off lithium. My sister is bipolar and lithium really turned her around, and she tolerated it well. Best of all, she was able to make huge leaps and strides in her CBT while on it, and now she's on a low dose antidepressant and nothing else. Good luck and be safe!!

i cant say much about salvia ( 1 time i did it had a bad trip) but LSD helps while im tripping and for awhile after but it hasn't fixed my bipolar. that said i feel that marijuana helps me tremendously