• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Health The Big & Dandy Bipolar Disorder & Psychedelics Thread

Psychedelics to treat BPD?
I found exercise and filling your day working and evenings with loving.
When you feel an increase in mental/physical energy burn it off, feel a decrease in energy go for a walk and get your blood flowin. When you feel depressed you hafta work a little harder than when your manic. I still struggle with BPD but have found these tools to be more effective than trying to figure out why or figure out the root. Think less, do more. When youve done too much, think about it.

i already excersise ALOT and im starting to eat more omega 3's and megnesium and im staying away from caffiene, sugar, and alcohol to help balance out my moods. i just want to use salvia when goings get tough.

Uh ah! My exact words were "brought out", not "caused". Big difference there. And the difference is not even semantic, it is grammatical.

This political (?) rant is fine and dandy, but I don't see exactly what it has to do with what I said. :)

The latter quote was in regards to things that work, but almost no one takes, due to cost or availabity.

the former regarding bipolar being brought out by lsd &/or ayahuasca i thought was a gross assumption regarding the small amount of info given by the OP about his condition. While we all know almost any drug can exacerbate or trigger a mental disease, it certainly doesn't mean that it always will.

The latter quote was in regards to things that work, but almost no one takes, due to cost or availabity.

the former regarding bipolar being brought out by lsd &/or ayahuasca i thought was a gross assumption regarding the small amount of info given by the OP about his condition. While we all know almost any drug can exacerbate or trigger a mental disease, it certainly doesn't mean that it always will.

the problem with this is not knowing if these disorders would have emerged whether or not the drug was used.

Ive been diagnosed with bipolar disorder NOS i get full blown mania, mixed states, horrible depression that can last for months and sometimes i get mild psychotic episodes when suffering from a mixed state or any really bad bipolar episode really. But when im taking my meds and they are working as they should be this is not a problem usually.

Ive had some kinda mood disorder most likely bipolar as far back as i can remember. Shrooms seemed to help this oddly enough. They have a way of clearing out my head and making me more happy and balanced for a long time after the trip is over. So they certainly never did me any harm or worsened my condition.

I would say they are much safer to take then stimulants especially cocaine if you have bipolar disorder. Coke just plain fucks with my moods these days so bad it's not even funny.

take depakote, welbutrin, zoloft, and risperidone. think id be good to take either lsd or mesciline (not at the same time) while taking the other drugs?

you wont be able to trip while taking risperidone. In fact ive used to to kill a trip.
Zoloft will blunt some of the effects aswell.

Not sure about depakote or welbutrin, but as long as you're taking risperdol you wont trip.

bipolar and phycodelic use

hi,

I'm bipolar, i want to find a treatment for it really bad because i have read a few cases of people like me suffering from this rugged western disease. i have been smoking alot of salvia and cherry bombs (salvia,weed,tobacco) and i have found that it relieves symptoms in me slightly. the salvia alone gets me thinking about cool things and keeps me thinking about it for awhile but it eventually goes away. if i could find a cheap source of 10x salvia or just salvia leaves i think that i could treat myself with it. i think mushrooms have the same effect as salvia just salvia is quick and mushrooms takes several hours you have to dedicate your time to.

*snip*

ELF

Last edited by a moderator:
we dont test on humans here ;) <3

bipolar is a complicated thing to deal with in regards to psychedelics. Some people can use them and suffer no negative consequences, others flip their shit on the first go around with a traditional psychedelic (aka. LSD, Mushrooms, 2c anything, DMT). My initial thought for you was try some DMT, because of the short trip and the overall sense of well being it can bring. However no one should really recommend that you trip to intensely... the only one who can do that is yourself and you have to be prepared to deal with the consequences of that action.

I wish you all the best in your journey <3

I have never done the no lights no music, and I am not so sure of the high dose either, especially for the uninitiated, having said that there is no question that in my own case , mushrooms have been instrumental in effecting life altering and positive changes in , and relief from the symptoms of bipolar disorder. I am reluctant to encourage anyone to follow my footsteps, all I am saying is for me, the path is a natural one, and my feet fall freely there. In my most common meditation I will ask the mushrooms to heal what needs to be healed and teach me what I need to learn. This is a very simple little conversation I offer to the mushrooms. They respect this wish and respond in kind. If you wish, and with some great care, the mushrooms may also be used as an aid in manifesting your intentions in the world. Know this, that they are a loving spirit and wish you well in all your life. I have also used the mushrooms in healing ceremonies to treat my beloveds breast cancer( with apparent success according to her doctor. ) In Love and great respect, I remain...

Bipolar? Take MXE!

Nothing quite like drug induced mania. People w/o bipolar disorder can have manic episodes induced from mxe.

I tend to prefer something a bit more jarring and yin/yang like the classical's. MXE works great for depression, but it also can just set you up for another depressive episode after you crash from the mania it can induce. Personally i stray away from MXE more than a few times a season for that reason.

When i'm in a depressive phase psychedelics usually help me to push forward back into neutral emotions. I've had it trigger minor manic episodes if I have a particularly intense 'realization' during a trip. I have Bipolar II though, so I only experience hypomania cyclothymic blues

Bipolar? Take MXE!

I would highly advise anyone not to follow this advice. MXE has made even some of the most mentally healthy individuals have both manic and depressive episodes. To add this to someone who's already bipolar is just asking for a disaster to happen, imo. MXE is far from mentally benign and people often forget that it's a DARI, and like other dopamine reuptake inhibitors (e.g. MDPV, Cocaine, Methylphenidate etc) using it - especially frequently, can lead to unpleasant rebound effects, and really mess with someone's head, particularly if that person is already psychologically unstable in any way.

That's not to paint MXE out as a demon drug but it's certainly one with a potential for harm, and a very addictive one at that. Advising someone use it to treat a psychological disorder is really reckless and dangerous advice.

First of all a great thread. Very informative therefore I would like to thank all that have contributed. I would like to add my opinion as well. Here is my background:

Bipolar

I was diagnosed almost exactly a year ago with bipolar type 1 (aka "Cadillac of mental diseases")after experiencing 3 months of hypo-mania followed by a month of mania (by that I mean hallucinations, altered way of perception,loss of memory,thinking you are somebody who could save the world, thoughts of suicide,unity with the world etc..)

I admitted myself to psych ward after I lost my job and my family became quite concerned. I was prescribed the usual batch of anti-psychotic medication for about a month followed by 1.2g/day of lithium. It took about 4 months for the lithium to start to work during which I experience severe depression (equal in intensity to my mania). The knowledge the I am bipolar defiantly helped but nevertheless it was tough.

The way lithium worked on me was complete stabilization of my mood. I basically felt nothing which was good relief initially but after 6 months of feeling nothing I came to conclusion that such way of life was not for me. I went of lithium 70 days ago. After month and a half I began feeling hypo-mania, initially 3-4 hours a week but increasing in time. Then a week ago I took LSD.

Drugs

Started in late 20s with weed and that's the only thing that I still use regularly. Used MDMA,E,coke, magic mushrooms and salvia in various amounts multiple times, LSD once.

BP and "drugs"

I smoke weed everyday and while being on lithium it did not trigger bipolar. It helped dealing with lack of emotions but it was defiantly not as good as smoking weed before starting lithium.During that time I took all the above mentioned substances but in amounts that I knew would not impair me for long time. Less than I used to take before my diagnosis. Result was the usual high but about 50% intensity. I could be because I was trying to be careful and used smaller doses or it was the effect with interaction with lithium. As I mentioned before I took LSD bit over 2 months after I stopped taking lithium. From the posts in this thread it seems like a good idea. Interactions might be quite unpleasant even though I have not experienced them. I was told that the amount I took was on the weaker side which with LSD is difficult to judge hence quite a real risk you might be taking. My high was everything I read about and more because I am bipolar. In the process of the event I came to the point of full mania with same as I experienced as I had over a year ago. Each time I became manic it lasted about 5-10 min but thats because I was in control. Hard to explain it eloquently in words it was after all an acid trip. Since then for the past 7 days I am full hypo-manic and if I dont watch my self I can become manic very easily. So far i can still control it but who knows for how long. Its defiantly not getting more out of control.

If you are bipolar and trying things that will open your mind and soul things will come out. If you have a large negative emotional baggage and not ready to face it you will most likely have the worst experience of a lifetime. If you are at peace you might find something you have been looking your whole life for. It differs from person to person because we are all different. Can it be used as therapeutic drug? I am sure it can but it has to be used wisely. I am not going to repeat the good advices of people who posted it above its all pretty much there.

Finding out that I am Bipolar was the most influential moment of my life so far. I am happy I am bipolar and do not really want a cure for it. It allows me to see and feel things not that many people ever experience. It is however only my opinion pertaining to my life. I like my life the way it is and if someone would come to me and say I can take it all back I would say no. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones or maybe I am still very young and need to learn more. Thats it. For anyone who wants to have different perspective on BP check out Tom Wootton's "Bipolar IN Order"

I'm also Bipolar and I am deathly afraid of psychedelics. I've only tried Ayahuasca (in a ceremony down in Peru), Ecstacy back home, and 2-ci. All of them gave me horrible trips, akin to like a portal into a ever downward spiral into the bowels of a demonic realm where my world, my thoughts, hearing, sight, and everything in between is flipped inside out, like Anti-christ mode inside out. Plus, it seems like whenever I introduce anything drug-like into my system, all the progress I made with meds keeping the bipolar at bay and gone altogether goes out of the window, so I just don't fuck with anything anymore.

^Consider yourself lucky, some folks enjoy the trip, but it triggers their mania. So they persist and screw up their therapy and lives in the name of psychedelia.

I have bipolar disorder (type I), and think mushrooms are an absolutely wonderful idea. I drank two cups of shroom tea last week actually, and even though I am off my medication and feeling a little mentally unbalanced at the moment, I had a genuinely good time. It relaxed me completely (at any point during the night you could have poured me into a bowl) and I felt a wonderful, gentle euphoria the entire time. The visuals were fairly light (compared to what I've experienced on LSD), but fascinating and quite pretty. Walls seemed to morph and pulsate slightly, and the lit screen of my phone left opalescent trails in the air.
There's never been a comedown from mushrooms for me either, after the night was finished, we all felt exhausted from lack of sleep, but just really quite content with life. Two of my friends were there aswell, one who takes Citalopram for depression and anxiety, (who had been really bummed out for the past few days) and the other who I suspect really should be taking something for depression, but as far as I'm aware he's on no meds. Both of them felt pretty much the same, good, happy and tired. The friend on citalopram said that she was so glad to have taken them, because they completely brought her out of her downer. This was the first time for both of the others too, but they have a pretty liberal attitude to narcotics, so weren't really nervous.
I've taken them quite a few times before though, both before and after diagnosis, and the experiences have all been similar - just genuinely feeling wonderful.
Only take what you're comfortable with, and if you're at all nervous, make sure you're in a comfortable place with nice, relaxed people (preferably indoors), but this is something I am very happy I tried, and I feel helps me so much when feeling unbalanced or depressed.

I have a friend who suffers from bi polar and he wants to fry on mushrooms. Could his disorder raise the chance of him having a bad trip or because he is bi polar should he just stay away from mushrooms for the possibilty that it could increase his instability?
Thanks

No way to really say. I don't have a diagnosis of being bipolar nor do I think that I have it. However, I do have something that would likely be considered 'insane'. I don't really do anything all too different than anybody else. However, I hear stuff quite a bit, at night in bed usually, but from time to time it happens during the day as well but that's usually just my name or something I can't make out. At night, they talk to each other, sing, give me advice, make bizarre metaphorical statements about things, laugh, clap, chant weird stuff, etc. The other thing is that sometimes any kind of white noise sounds like there are these sort of voices saying all sorts of stuff sometimes. Also, I've even seen stuff a few times like once I saw this dead guy in my room that wasn't there and I was actually completely sober 8o I pretty much accepted the fact that I'm basically stuck with having this sort of thing so why not just learn to enjoy it and possibly use it in a constructive manner? That's pretty much the way I look at it.

Anyways, I've tripped a good bit, done plenty of drugs, and done pretty much all the same stuff everybody else here on BL does/did. Would I say tripping negatively effected me? Well yes and no. On my positive experiences, I was effected no differently than anyone else. However, I have had a few monumentally bad drug experiences though where I did not fully return back to sanity for quite a while 8(

Last edited:
I am bi-polar. I have always had an overall good experience with mushrooms, I never took a full eighth. I believe taking them in a good environment (preferably in nature) and with positive friends is the most beneficial. I have taken them during a manic and depressed stage and have enjoyed both. I felt refreshed and calm afterwards. This definitely does not apply to acid. Uppers or downers always leave me in a 1-3 day mood swing. I am not on any medications.