• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big and Dandy Scale Thread (First wave - archived 10-31-07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
this thread got my interest. I have a small scale collection so I know about those. even my avator is a pic of a scale. I see miligram scales on ebay and I mean the digital type for $200-500 used all the time. Thats not teribally expensive and a great investment for safety. I own 3mg scales(yes I collect em) I also own a bunch of other scales, including gram ones. I agree about the 10x accuracy on dosage. meaning if you weigh 10mg or more, get a mg scale. If you weigh anybit less than 10mg, get a .1mg scale. each mg can be alot, say you wanna do 6mg of a chemical, the mg scale can be off by 1 or even 2mg! anyone have questions, ask me

^^
i wish that image heavy thread you started wasn't moved, We'd merge it in here. Feel free to post your favorites that are suitable for weighing pure compounds.

OK. I was convinced to buy a scale. After eyeballing 2ci doses from a 100mg bag, I was motivated. I bought a Mettler 160.00000 gram analytical balance. All cams and rings. Pure Machinery. Beautiful and effective for single dose weighs of 5meo-dmt and 4ho-dipt so far. Sensitive to vibration. Writing on the same table makes the readout jitter. Really should be on a marble table on the ground floor. Great deal for under $300.

Check the lab auction sites for good deals on scales.

Last edited:
Yeah, this thread inspired me to finally replace my ghetto-ass old scale that seemed like it'd been around from about the Neolithic era.

So thanks to ya'lls advice my brand new Tanita 1210-50 arrived last week. To say that I'm pleased with this scale would be a vast understatement. I LOVE it. :)

And really, for about 200 bucks you can't go wrong.

I cant find any site that ship to canada where I can buy the tanita with de decent price, i think i'll go for the gempro 50 i dont see any other way to go...

any sugesstions ?

Really??? So, if I measure out 20mg... it won't be accurate at all? It can't be that off, can it? Or, could I just weigh 60mg and then split it in 3? Would the higher weight be more accurate?

iso240 said:
First of all, I assure you that you will have a whore of a time trying to get it to read exactly 20mg. Even if you can get it exactly on "20mg," as I understand it, the actual mass could be anywhere between 10mg and 30mg, with no way of knowing for certain where along that spectrum it lies.

If you use it to measure out 60mg, and split it into three doses (not using liquid measurement), your scale would be a bit more useful. Unfortunately, I think the odds of you or anyone accurately splitting that 60mg into three even piles is slim to none. Maybe you'll get close though. If you use that method, and end up writing trip reports, I urge you to explain your method of measurement so your reported dose is not misleading to readers.

If you're going to use this scale, I strongly urge you to consider liquid measurement as an adjunct.

Come on now. $15? I know you don't think you are going to get accurate results when you are only willing to spend $15. :|

The local headshop has that scale. It is shoddy, and not the kind of scale you use for the psychedelic research chemicals. As previously stated, it is only accurate to .01mg. A pile calibrated at 20mg may actually be anything between 10mg and 30mg. That's quite a big difference if working with something like 2C-E, 2C-P, 5-MeO-MiPT, and others.

I strongly second what iso says. I'd be scared to take any pill you weighed with this scale. Especially if it was used to weigh out 2C-E and the others I mentioned, where every 2mg makes a HUGE difference.

When working with a chemical highly active below 10mg, 15mg...I would ONLY use this scale as a start for using liguid measurement. What is wrong with weighing out 50mg (or better to use 100mg or more) and disolving it in a known amount of water, for easy and accurate measuring? You can put the solution in the glass vials with the rubber stopper in the lid, and you will lose no product. And the product will stay good if stored in cool, dry conditions. Some (many of the PEAs) will stay good indefinitely.

Also, make sure you buy reference weights to check the accuracy. Ohaus has a nice set that includes 1mg, 2mg, 5mg, 10mg, and every other weight you need for under $10. You get what you pay for when you buy a cheap scale like that. :)

MGS

I should add I don't see a problem in using that scale for things like BDB, 2C-N, MDA, methylone, MBDB, MDMA, and any other psychedelic where the active dosage is over/around 100mg. But please don't weigh out dosages of 2C-E or 2C-P and hand that out to other people. That is not safe, and guaranteed to cause some rough, unpleasant rides.

With a scale like that you should weigh out no less than 200mg, and then use a solution to divide it further. Only if you are very meticulous and carefull will it be accurate to +-10mg, its gonna be more like +-25mg.

ditto to all the smart folks. I wouldn't even bother with using a liquid method adjunct. Just wait a month, or however long it takes, and buy a scale you can be proud of.

dude, after your nonsense 2c-i evening on bluelight and IM this week, it might be time to stay practicing the twin virtues of good-sense and self-control. Until you can afford a good scale, one that accurate to 2mg, you're really just making yourself look like a jackass.

the cheapest scale i've seen which is accurate down to 0.002 is the gempro and they are ~ 150$ US you could also search for gem scales on froogle, they are usually accurate down to 0.002 and you get a wider selection, but as said 100x before on this board and others it is very unreliable and a tanita scale would be much better, but for that you would be looking at 200$+

Merged into the B&D scale thread. PM to the author of the 'Is this scale a POS' thread.

Returning a GemPro...

I bought the GemPro50 before reading the big and dandy scale thread, and found it to be bouncy and basically, a piece of shit. I hate the damn thing and luckily it comes with a five year warranty.

Now, I read the warranty and it says I can return it because of defects... but I read in the scale thread about someone returning theirs.

My question is, how can I return this scale?

I just remembered I threw out that weird wind guard. Shit.

Anyway, any help? Anyone with experience?

I want a Tanita!

Plain and simple....you need to contact the vendor or manufacturer of the scale and ask them for a refund. There is nothing we can on here on PD to get you a refund. Maybe they'll give you one and maybe they won't. I see no reason to have a thread on how to get a rufund on a scale. Good luck.

Edit: Ok per your PM I'll let people try and answer your question. However I merged it into this thread to prevent having another one. I really don't know what others can say though other than to contact the vendor or manufacturer and see if they can give you a refund or exchange.

Last edited:
if you're sending it straight back to gempro, you could tell them its crap AND that it came without the promised windguard. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.