• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc The Amitriptyline Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 10 mg makes me feel like shit..

This could be due to the combination with Tramadol. It is not advised to mix Antidepressants with Tramadol because the latter acts as an SNRI and the pharmacological interaction could be potentially dangerous. There are other sleep meds with short half-lifes that don't produce that bad of a hangover like Zolpidem (Ambien), Zopiclone or Halcion (Triazolam), Midazolam etc.
I personally find that only 100mg of Gabapentin are a very good sleep aid without too much drowsiness.

Yeah I also read they are a bad combo so I asked the pharmacist and he said it was ok....hmm :-/ I guess back to the drawing board. Thanks for your suggestions.

Family member was prescribed it for migraines. Tried 1-2 on a few occasions. I was potently apathetic, had a very limited spectrum of emotions, and felt the urge to sit still and do nothing. Very unpleasant.

What's the recreational benefit? What makes it fun for those of you who it works for?

My family member also experienced a permanent and intensely reduced alcohol tolerance, and blacks out often when drinking. Anyone else had this happen to them?

I was scripted these for insomnia and migraines/misc pain with an NSAID. I was given 10mg pills and told to take two a day with an extra dose before bed time if I felt I needed it.

At first I was opposed to taking this one but eventually curiosity got the best of me. I've never taken more than 30mg in one sitting and I usually just stick to 10mg.

My observations:

- Not good for pain
- Unsure if it does anything for the migraines/headpains due to:
- It takes forever to kick in, but when it does it hits me like a freight train.

Take today for instance. I took 10mg around 1am, it's now +7 hours and I've only just noticed any effects from the drug. I have the usual side effects (dry mouth) a long with the sedation. I could easily slip into sleep now if I chose too. I will feel groggy all day at this point and suffer dry mouth for about a day or two more.

I just plain don't like it. The toxic does begin so low scares me. I don't find much value from it beyond the sedation and even that is "messy". It feels closer to DPH than a benzo in the sedation aspect.

was on these for about 8 - 10 years , the Doctor at my gp tried to take me off them but put me back on after i had mad panic attacks, suicidal thoughts just some of my withdrawal symptoms they thought that after that amount of time and being on full dose 200mg for 2 years they could just take me off them cause my body was getting tolerant to them again, so they tried giving me another pill for my anxiety and had to get short course of sleeping tabs cause new pills were keeping me wake and head was buzzing thanks to withdrawal symptoms,So had to go back on Amitriptyline while they referred me to psych unit to get me weaned off Amitriptyline. Now i am still trying to get back to something like i was when the Amitriptyline was working best. and am on 3 dif type anti deps anti psychotics duloxetine, gabapentin and seroquil. but Amitriptyline was best for my anxiety/depression and sleep probs till i couldnt take a higher dose or i would still want to be on it..
Did take it after a few glasses spirits once big mistake was sleeping for about 18 hours and woke up with sick on floor beside me, lesson learned messing with that stuff. Was only normal dose 200mg as well so never mix it with alcohol, very strong. Even waking up in the morn takes ages you are like a zombie at times on it.

sorry about the different type sizes got stuck in the middle somehow after copying and pasting the word
Amitriptyline f knows lol i'm new.

oh ps it put just over 2 stone of weight on me as well.

Last edited:
Family member was prescribed it for migraines. Tried 1-2 on a few occasions. I was potently apathetic, had a very limited spectrum of emotions, and felt the urge to sit still and do nothing. Very unpleasant.

What's the recreational benefit? What makes it fun for those of you who it works for?

My family member also experienced a permanent and intensely reduced alcohol tolerance, and blacks out often when drinking. Anyone else had this happen to them?

my brother, who has taken ami's recreationally, reports feeling a very gentle, tired feeling at a low dose and mild hallucinations, slurred speech, confusion, and a loss of balance/motor function at higher (100+ mg) doses. not sure how the hell he survived such huge doses. would not recommend.

Glad to see this thread still going. Anyway, I had a jar of amitriptyline left over from my pain management days. At first they started low( 25 mg) and eventually landed on 75 mg at bedtime.
I'm only interested in it for potentiation or synergy of some sort. I'm running low on Lyrica and gabapentin so I decide to take like 300mg of Lyrica, then I took 75 mg of amitriptyline. I must say that I am more chill and pain free on this combo. I must mention I also take 1 mg clonazepam/ 3 times per day. I am noticing an enhanced effect there also. I stay hydrated which is healthy in general, but I believe helps drive away side effects. I will keep testing this dosing schedule and post back with a progress report.
By itself, I feel amitriptyline is pretty shitty, but when combined with opiates or other cns depressants, I believe this is a good medicine to have at least in the medicine cabinet.

^^Follow up to last post. I went to sleep@5:00am and slept till 11:30am. I had a slightly off the wall, but very nice vivid dream. I actually woke up happy and refreshed. The only thing I did different was add 75mg amitriptyline around 1:00am. I'm still pain free.

Would this be prescribed to a drug addict (Zanax/ambien) and alcoholic? Is it used for sleep? Is it addictive? How would it show up in a drug test.

Would this be prescribed to a drug addict (Zanax/ambien) and alcoholic? Is it used for sleep? Is it addictive? How would it show up in a drug test.

It's a tricyclic antidepressant so I don't see why it shouldn't be prescribed, but combining it with alcohol can be dangerous.
Yes, it can be used for sleep
Drug testing questions aren't allowed, but it should show up as a (tricyclic) antidepressant

Amitriptyline is mainly prescribed for depression, sleep, pain and I'm sure a few other things.

Occasionally, some hard nose rehab facalities will not allow it (bullshit), because it has/can have an effect on your attitude.

In summary:
i don't see any recreational use for amitriptyline, but when taken with Promethazine, it's a great sedative/sleep aid (even at a low dosage) opiate like Oxycodone or opioids like tramadol have a stimulating effect on me.
anyone with similar stimulating effects might find my following notes worth reading:

I've had a lot of problems sleeping for the past 4 nights. Hot/cold every 20 mins.
I have tapered off a high dosage of tramadol. I've never had the restlessness that I'm experiencing.
tonight I've taken 150mg tramadol (just to minimise the withdrawal symptoms) 50mg promethazine and 10 mg amytriptyline.
tramadol was taken 90 mins ago.
promethazine and amytripyline about 45 mins ago.
I have not tried this combination previously, but have tried similar doses and time frames.
promethazine is my go-to potentiate (over diazepam and similar) it just had a long half life. So take it early to avoid any foggy feelings the next morning.
ill report back tomorrow if it works. Or in a few hours if not.

Amitriptyline is no joke. I was on 300mg at bedtime and twice it nearly killed me. The first time was when the dose was bumped up from 250 to 300, and my librax (chlordiazepoxide w clindium) was bumped to two caps four times daily instead of on tid which meant also taking it at bedtime. They kicked in and I thought I was dying: dizziness, nausea, lack of coordination, the math problem that made sense seconds ago seemed to be in a foreign language, there were black dots in my vision, I couldn't form words to scream for help it was horrible. My mother paged my doctor and he advised me to take them 1-2 hours apart from now on a nd that some people just can't tolerate them together.

About nine months later I was no longer falling asleep with the amitriptyline like I used to so I wasn't really thinking that fateful night that I decided to take all my meds at the same time instead of the usual 4-5hours of carefully timed out bedtime meds. I took my regular 300mg amitriptyline, 25mg promethazine, and 2 librax all at once with a decent swallow of water then got in bed. I didn't wake up until 8 days later in ICU. The doctors said I was lucky to have survived as amitriptyline is a very dangerous medication and when combined with benzos and antiemetics has been used as a suicide cocktail. So please be careful with this medication and do not mix it with benzos.

This thread is near 7 years old. I'm closing this. We can start a new Amitriptyline thread that is better organized.

Status
Not open for further replies.