• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc The Amitriptyline Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_Burrows

Bluelighter
Welcome to the official super ultimate AMITRIPTYLINE hyper mega thread!

I've seen very little discussion of this drug on Bluelight and since I've recently been perscribed it I'm anxious to discuss it with anyone else who has/is using it.

From what I've read, it's usually perscribed as an anti depressant, although my pain management doc gave it to me as an opiate potentiator.

After two months of daily use, I can't say I've noticed or felt any change in my personality (i.e. I'm still an asshole). So it doesn't seem like a good anti depressant.

As far as opiate potentiation, I was skeptical since I've never seen it mentioned in that regard here on Bluelight or anywhere else for that matter.

But does it work? Sort of.

When combined with my opiate of choice (iv dilaudid), it def increases the nod factor quite significantly; no extra high or euphoria, but if the stars are aligned and you get a good trip, this combo DOES mess you up. I had all sorts of mini blackouts, sudden jerks (not good when your delicately prepping a shot) and extreme noddiness.

The problem is the effects seems so random - sometimes the pill works, sometimes it doesn't. I have no idea if its best to take it on an empty stomach, at the same time I shoot, an hour before, two hours...? Ive had one 25mg knock my socks off, but other times 100mg did absolutely nothing.

If anyone else has experience with Amitrip, please share your stories and knowledge.

Does it have a high bioavailability? Would it be worth plugging?

Let's get this party started! After all, any drug with the word "Trip" as part of its name deserves a thread of it's own.

My brother was prescribed it for migraines. Knocked him out and made him drool on himself.

His friend used it to potentiate opioids. Knocked him out and made him drool on himself.

My brother was prescribed it for migraines. Knocked him out and made him drool on himself.

His friend used it to potentiate opioids. Knocked him out and made him drool on himself.

Sounds like a jolly good time. %)

Yeah and when it works its great... But after 2 months, it's only worked like that a handful of times. What am I doing wrong?

And how is a med that knocks you out and makes you drool supposed to work as an anti depressant??

Hi mates.So,does amitryptyline potents opiates?(Please,answer for sure,not..and when i say opiates,h included,right?)Peace and<3 to the friends and all people that have left this world.I'm sure Jesus will forgive us all,if of course we want it..

Done Amitripyline loads of times, dont think good to mix with H cas really aint that good as a buzz booster but is good as sleeping tablet as long as you take 150-200mg in one go before bed. gives bad dry mouth next day but after long term use that goes away. not nice to take an stay awake but thats personal choice like all things aint it.

From what I've seen and heard, I don't think it would be great as a potentiator. I would stick to antihistamines.

I finally found a few bits to read, sounds like it DOES work as a potentiator, and as i said, a handful of times it has worked that way on me - I just can't figure out how!

Usually I take a single 50mg pill an hour before dinner and I get my fix on (of dilaudid) sometime after dinner... But ive only felt the effects a few times, and I cant pinpoint an exact series of events that led towards it.

Good sleeping pill, good anti-depressant. I'm planning on taking it again after having tried other anti-depressant shit.

As for opiate potentiation, i'm sure it works well, but be careful, it's strong. I prefer hydroxyzine hcl with my methadone.

Can anyone with experience tell me how long it usually takes for this pill to reach "peak" effect? Sometimes ive taken it and it seeks like hours go by before I feel it kick in.

Also, does anyone know if it would be safe to inject?

As I mentioned before, a handful of times it's really effected my dilaudid "trip," but I can't make it consistent; sometimes it works great as a potentiator, most times not. It may have something to do with the timing, I don't know.

Anyone know the bioavailability?

the reason it potentiates dope is most likely due to its anticholinergic effects, similar to how phenergan and benedryl poentiate dope.

i just dicovered completely by accident that it can help alleviate opioid withdrawal. Apparently it affects opiate receptors indirectly or some shit; once this week is over i'm gonna comb thru pubmed for anything more definite on just how it does that.

Tathra, are you saying that Amitriptyline prevents withdrawals? Because I've been using it pretty much daily and that hasn't been the case.

In addition, I've only found success at potentiation a handful of times, which I can't explain. I've tried taking it a half hour, hour, 1.5 hours and 2 hours prior to my dilaudid and it hasn't made a difference - neither has a full or empty stomach nor varying the dosage.

Basically, it seems totally random when Amitrip actually affects my opiates and after using it daily for several months it's only worked a few times.

The only thing i've discovered that seems to keep wd at bay is dxm.

From the wikipedia TCA page's chronic pain section-

The TCAs show efficacy in the clinical treatment of a number of different types of chronic pain, notably neuralgia or neuropathic pain and fibromyalgia.[11][12] The precise mechanism of action in explanation of their analgesic efficacy is unclear, but it is thought that they indirectly modulate the opioid system in the brain downstream via serotonergic and noradrenergic neuromodulation, among other properties.[13][14][15] They are also effective in migraine prophylaxis, though not in the instant relief of an acute migraine attack.

And some quotes from the studies it cites... (emphasis added)

Effects of imipramine administration on mu-opioid receptor immunostaining in the rat forebrain.

Abstract

Imipramine hydrochloride (CAS 113-52-0) is a widely used antidepressant and can interact with opioid receptors. However, complete information concerning possible regional alterations in mu-opioid receptor expression in the rat forebrain after chronic treatment with this substance is still lacking. This being the case, analysis of mu-opioid receptor immunostaining in several regions of the rat brain after imipramine administration in vivo was made, and an increase in the density of cells expressing mu-opioid receptors in the caudatus-putamen, the dentate gyrus and the frontal, parietal and piriform cortices after chronic imipramine treatment, with respect to controls, was found. These data suggest that mu-opioid receptor expression in the rat forebrain is altered by in vivo chronic imipramine treatment.

Amitriptyline potentiates morphine analgesia by a direct action on the central nervous system

Abstract

Trycyclic antidepressants are often effective in the management of neuropathic pains. To elucidate the mechanism of tricyclic-induced analgesia, amitriptyline and other drugs were injected into lightly anesthetized rats either systemically or via lumbar intrathecal cannulas. Analgesia was assessed by measuring the latency of the tail flik reflex. Using this model, intrathecal amitriptyline (30 μg) significantly enhanced the analgesic effect of an intraperitoneal dose of morphine (0.5 mg/kg) that by itself produced no measurable effect. Given systemically, amitriptyline (30 or 100 μg intraperitoneally) was ineffective. Cocaine (30 μg) also potentiated morphine analgesia, but iprindole, a tricyclic antidepressant with a very weak inhibitory effect on monoamine uptake, was ineffective. This enhancement of analgesia by intrathecal amitriptyline was prevented by pretreating the rats with p-chlorophenylalanine (300 mg/kg). These results are consistent with the hypothesis that amitriptyline produces analgesia by blocking serotonin uptake and therefore enhancing the action of serotonin at the spinal terminals of an opioid-mediated intrinsic analgeisa system.

Delta-Opioid Receptors Are Critical for Tricyclic Antidepressant Treatment of Neuropathic Allodynia

Background

The therapeutic effect of antidepressant drugs against depression usually necessitates a chronic treatment. A large body of clinical evidence indicates that antidepressant drugs can also be highly effective against chronic neuropathic pain. However, the mechanism by which these drugs alleviate pain is still unclear.

Methods

We used a murine model of neuropathic pain induced by sciatic nerve constriction to study the antiallodynic properties of a chronic treatment with the tricyclic antidepressants nortriptyline and amitriptyline. Using knockout and pharmacological approaches in mice, we determined the influence of delta-opioid receptors in the therapeutic action of chronic antidepressant treatment.

Results

In our model, a chronic treatment by tricyclic antidepressant drugs totally suppresses the mechanical allodynia in neuropathic C57Bl/6J mice. This therapeutic effect can be acutely reversed by an injection of the delta-opioid receptor antagonist naltrindole. Moreover, the antiallodynic property of antidepressant treatment is absent in mice deficient for the delta-opioid receptor gene.

Conclusions

The antiallodynic effect of chronic antidepressant treatment is mediated by a recruitment of the endogenous opioid system acting through delta-opioid receptors.

Personally I have used amitriptyline during opioid withdrawal and did not find benefit over other anticholinergic medications.

Last edited:
My dad get's those, i would only use them when im in withdrawal and just wanna sleep for like 2 days straight, and believe me when i tell you that they will knock you on your ass for two days.

The last time i took 2 of those i was opening my refrigerator and tried to walk into it thinking it was the bathroom Lol. This shit will fuck with your head.

For poteniating purposes, i don't think you would notice because you would be asleep by the time you could, atleast with me, this stuff is like being hit by a train when it kicks in.

^what doses are you talking about? Your reaction is certainly abnormal unless you're taking excessively large doses. They are indeed sedating but not like you are describing at reasonable therapeutic doses.

Last edited:
^what doses are you talking about? Your reaction is certainly abnormal unless you're taking excessively large doses. They are indeed sedating but not like you are describing at reasonable therapeutic doses.

Doses in the 15-50mg range have put me to sleep for sure. Kind of cautious about fucking with TCAs so I haven't tried it for anything besides sleep (which I use other things for anyways). I have a bunch of amitriptyline still though with hopes one day I'll find a better use for it. Will definitely be watching this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, ive got 10mg amounts and have found it to be useless, plus im having the pills hiden from me.

My buddy is prescribed 3x30mg Morphine and 2x50mg Amitriptyline. The amitriptyline alone pretty much knocks any of us who take it out, but when he takes it with the morphine, he turns into a sleepwalking zombie who barges into our blaze sesh scared and looking for his mother (the guys 30 and his mom lives 10 hours away, its kinda funny)

All of the stuff in this thread sounds very promising. I just went to my doc to try to get subs for my withdrawals, but no luck. Instead she gave me phenegren 25mg and amitriptyline 25mg. Since I'm taking these for methadone withdrawals and still have a few methadone doses left, followed by switching to subs I'm procuring elsewhere, I will try to detail exactly what it does to me in the different scenarios (for sleep, pain, as a potentiator, vs withdrawals, precipitated withdrawals, etc...)

EDIT: It's been 1.25hr since I took a 25mg tab of ami and I feel nothing yet. How long does this stuff take to kick in?

... 2 hours and still nothing. I'll take another I guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.